Pulling Trailer With Ford Explorer?
Steph_735
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2007-07-09 9:14 PM (#63545)
Subject: Pulling Trailer With Ford Explorer?

Regular

Can i safely tow my trailer with our ford explorer? My trailer is a 2 horse slant and weighs 2600lbs. I'd be either hauling 1 900lb horse or 1 850lb horse and 1 900lb horse. The tack and extras weigh around 100 and thats it. I'd be hauling to the state park down the road 20mins and thats it. So i wouldn't be bringing hay or grain at all and maybe at the most a few gallons of water, as it would only be a few hours their.

We have a 2004 Ford Explorer XLT 4X4 210-hp 4.0liter V-6. It has a class III hitch and a engine oil cooler. The wheelbase is 113.8" and it says maximum trailer capacity 7000lbs. I will be adding a electric brake controller.

Will it be safe to tow with the ford explorer? is their anything else i should add to it?

I am going to see how it pulls it after i add the electric brake controller. If it needs it i am going to either get a weight distributing hitch or antisway bars for it.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2007-07-10 6:27 AM (#63554 - in reply to #63545)
Subject: RE: Pulling Trailer With Ford Explorer?

Expert

yes it will be fine, i would start out with the wdh though. distance and regularity of towing has nothing to do with safety, only the longevity of the vehicle......if its safe for 20 min then its safe all day. sway bars are generally not necessary for a 2h due to the axle placement, but if your starting out with no wdh i would get the equal-i-zer brand.
happyrider929
Reg. Jul 2007
Posted 2007-07-16 10:29 AM (#63955 - in reply to #63545)

Regular

Can you tow it? Yes. Can you tow it safely? No way!Just because it can pull it, doesn't mean iit can stop it or stabilize the rig in a tight spot. I would never, ever, ever pull a horse trailer with an Explorer. It may be just 20 minutes down the road, but no matter how defensively you drive, a lot can happen in that 20 minutes....someone pulls out in front of you, have to swerve to avoid something that just fell off a truck, etc.
chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2007-07-16 11:34 AM (#63961 - in reply to #63955)

Expert

Originally written by happyrider929 on 2007-07-16 10:29 AMCan you tow it? Yes. Can you tow it safely? No way!Just because it can pull it, doesn't mean iit can stop it or stabilize the rig in a tight spot. I would never, ever, ever pull a horse trailer with an Explorer. It may be just 20 minutes down the road, but no matter how defensively you drive, a lot can happen in that 20 minutes....someone pulls out in front of you, have to swerve to avoid something that just fell off a truck, etc.
nonsense. perhaps you should go spec some newer trucks and compare them to what we (or at least I) was using years ago. or even better, go drive them and get some current seat time. when guys like you start talking about "stopping" it is a dead give away to your actual experience.
headhunter
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2007-07-16 1:19 PM (#63971 - in reply to #63545)

Elite Veteran

SUV's these days sure seem to have high tow ratings, much higher than SUV's from just a few years ago.  But the tow ratings are based on dead weight that likely has a relatively low center of gravity in relation to the bed of the trailer (like a load of bricks), whereas horses have a high center of gravity and is a moving load.  So while a small SUV may be just fine towing, hauling, and stopping a big load, a live moving load tows much differently, and is unpredictable.  That should be taken into consideration too, not just the weight of the loaded trailer. 

Just doing a mental comparison, my steel 3 horse gooseneck trailer w/ a 4' shortwall dressing room (no LQ) weighed 5600 lbs.  Granted, it was a gooseneck and would be physically impossible to tow with an SUV, but I can't imagine that weight behind an Explorer.  And that's not even reaching the max an Explorer is rated for. 

Don't flame me Chadsalt, just helping the original poster think about issues unique to hauling horses.  

RoperChick
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2007-07-16 1:51 PM (#63976 - in reply to #63971)

Veteran

Originally written by headhunter on 2007-07-16 1:19 PM

SUV's these days sure seem to have high tow ratings, much higher than SUV's from just a few years ago.  But the tow ratings are based on dead weight that likely has a relatively low center of gravity in relation to the bed of the trailer (like a load of bricks), whereas horses have a high center of gravity and is a moving load.  So while a small SUV may be just fine towing, hauling, and stopping a big load, a live moving load tows much differently, and is unpredictable.  That should be taken into consideration too, not just the weight of the loaded trailer. 

Just doing a mental comparison, my steel 3 horse gooseneck trailer w/ a 4' shortwall dressing room (no LQ) weighed 5600 lbs.  Granted, it was a gooseneck and would be physically impossible to tow with an SUV, but I can't imagine that weight behind an Explorer.  And that's not even reaching the max an Explorer is rated for. 

Don't flame me Chadsalt, just helping the original poster think about issues unique to hauling horses.  

Well said, I totally agree with you and happyrider929. With the short wheelbase on an explorer it would be tough regaining control if the trailer started to sway. A horse could easily get a bumper pull trailer moving from side-to-side, especially when it's behind an explorer.
chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2007-07-16 2:53 PM (#63981 - in reply to #63976)

Expert

Originally written by RoperChick on 2007-07-16 1:51 PM
Originally written by headhunter on 2007-07-16 1:19 PM

Well said, I totally agree with you and happyrider929. With the short wheelbase on an explorer it would be tough regaining control if the trailer started to sway. A horse could easily get a bumper pull trailer moving from side-to-side, especially when it's behind an explorer.
not flaming anyone. i just cant get excited about all this "live weight", or "wheelbase" theory. the horse is contained in a stall, not running loose. i really dont consider 2000# of horse a few feet off the floor in a 3000# trailer top heavy. the biggest advatage wheelbase gives is how much tongue weight you can have before a wdh is necessary. it does slow steering inputs, giving the feeling of increased stability........and ive never said a larger truck would not make most people "feel" better. ive only referenced safety/vehicle capability. i fully understand you cannot imagine 5600# behind an explorer, however i hauled 6000# all over SC and western NC for several years with a 2002 trailblazer.......not quite as big as the explorer in question. my wife learned to tow with that truck, we now have the dmax. she likes the dmax better, i dont really care.......but neither one was "safer".
xyzer
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2007-07-16 4:52 PM (#63990 - in reply to #63554)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by chadsalt on 2007-07-10 4:27 AM

yes it will be fine, i would start out with the wdh though. distance and regularity of towing has nothing to do with safety, only the longevity of the vehicle......if its safe for 20 min then its safe all day. sway bars are generally not necessary for a 2h due to the axle placement, but if your starting out with no wdh i would get the equal-i-zer brand.

I agree. Only...... I would pull it around empty a bit to get a feel of how it will handle without WDH, it may do fine. It will depend on how much more tounge weight is added when you load the horses if the WDH is really needed. A lot depends on the trailer geometry.  My wife had a Nissan Pathfinder with less tow rating. She pulled a 2600# trailer with 2 horses no WDH and it handled it fine. Not a long haul setup but worked fine. 

happyrider929
Reg. Jul 2007
Posted 2007-07-16 5:45 PM (#63993 - in reply to #63545)

Regular

Whew....some of you are braver than me! I've hauled an awful lot of miles and I would never, ever tow with an Explorer, especially after seeing two seperate accident photos where folks were towing with them, and the rigs were on their side (one trailer was a Trail-et, other I couldn't tell...too mangled). In both instances, the tail started wagging the dog. I just don't think it is safe.
chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2007-07-16 5:46 PM (#63995 - in reply to #63990)

Expert

Originally written by xyzer on 2007-07-16 5:52 PM

Originally written by chadsalt on 2007-07-10 4:27 AM

I agree. Only...... I would pull it around empty a bit to get a feel of how it will handle without WDH, it may do fine. It will depend on how much more tounge weight is added when you load the horses if the WDH is really needed. A lot depends on the trailer geometry.  My wife had a Nissan Pathfinder with less tow rating. She pulled a 2600# trailer with 2 horses no WDH and it handled it fine. Not a long haul setup but worked fine. 

true, it probably would be fine without a wdh.  but it WILL do better with a wdh.  then there will be one more "believer".

and where is my sig?

Edited by chadsalt 2007-07-16 5:47 PM
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2007-07-16 7:50 PM (#63999 - in reply to #63993)

Expert

Did those accidents have anything to do with the bad tires? I used to haul  a 2 horse BP and the only time the "tail wagged the dog" was when I wasn't paying attention.  It was MY fault, not the trucks.  it would have happened even with a bigger truck.
lanajane
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2007-09-16 9:25 PM (#68000 - in reply to #63545)
Subject: hauling with a Toyota Landcruiser???

New User

I just got a Logan slant 2260lb... I and using a 6 cylinder Toyota Landcuiser will this be ok for 2 horses? Mountains...? I have a computer electric brake system that I can set myself what number should I haul with... with and without horses...? I just came down the Donner Summit and I could fell the brakes on the downhill... should I so I have to be easy with the brakes? thanks
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-09-17 12:58 AM (#68009 - in reply to #68000)
Subject: RE: hauling with a Toyota Landcruiser???

Expert

Originally written by lanajane on 2007-09-16 10:25 PM

I just got a Logan slant 2260lb... I and using a 6 cylinder Toyota Landcuiser will this be ok for 2 horses? Mountains...? I have a computer electric brake system that I can set myself what number should I haul with... with and without horses...? I just came down the Donner Summit and I could fell the brakes on the downhill... should I so I have to be easy with the brakes? thanks

This was answered on your duplicate post...

Trailer guy
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2007-09-17 11:59 AM (#68026 - in reply to #63545)

Why would anyone want to take advise from an unknown (expert ?) on something as important as the saftey of their equipment, horses and own personal safety.  More importantly why would anyone give advise over the internet that could result in the potential for severe danger and injury to people and or animals.  I'm sure everyone has an opinon on what to do or not do when it comes to pulling a trailer but I for one do not want to be responsible for that one bit of advice that could be fatal.  Opinons are like hair styles, every one has one.  If everyone agreed that it was OK to pull a trailer with an Explorer or if everyone agreed that it was not OK there would be no problem.  How is the person that started this thread supposed to know which person is correct with their opinon?   Just because some one is fluent with their speech and can fill a page with info and various facts does not mean they have any idea what they are talking about.  Wrecks occur with SUVs, 1/2 tons, 1 tons and semi's so this cannot be a reference point.  Common sense is the best factor to consider. 
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-09-17 12:52 PM (#68028 - in reply to #68026)

Expert

Originally written by Trailer guy on 2007-09-17 10:59 AM

Why would anyone want to take advise from an unknown (expert ?) on something as important as the saftey of their equipment, horses and own personal safety.  More importantly why would anyone give advise over the internet that could result in the potential for severe danger and injury to people and or animals.  I'm sure everyone has an opinon on what to do or not do when it comes to pulling a trailer but I for one do not want to be responsible for that one bit of advice that could be fatal.  Opinons are like hair styles, every one has one.  If everyone agreed that it was OK to pull a trailer with an Explorer or if everyone agreed that it was not OK there would be no problem.  How is the person that started this thread supposed to know which person is correct with their opinon?   Just because some one is fluent with their speech and can fill a page with info and various facts does not mean they have any idea what they are talking about.  Wrecks occur with SUVs, 1/2 tons, 1 tons and semi's so this cannot be a reference point.  Common sense is the best factor to consider. 

Hey Trailerguy..An Internet forum is like a coffee shop.  There's always a bunch of opinion and facts floating around.  Do tall tales and misinformation get posted?  Certainly! Yet, is a coffee shop / Internet discussion worthless?  I'd say NOT.

One has to participate and use their brain to discern the truth and applicability.  After a time, like at a real coffee shop one learns whom to listen to and whom to discount as wasted bandwidth.     

The advice posted here isn't from "experts".  It is the accumulated experience of ordinary people.  Everyone has a story of their experience towing a horse trailer.  It's good to share experience.  A lifetime isn't long enough to make all the mistakes possible.  Learn from other people's mistakes.

As for whom to listen to...I'm an ordinary driver, Chadsalt is a Professional semi rig driver.  We are on opposite sides when the subject is heavy vs light tow vehicles.  Yet... Consider.. Tiger Woods will outplay me everyday using an old broom handle while I use the finest set of golf clubs made.  How many people hauling their horses are similarly gifted or experienced as a rig driver?  I'd want every advantage for my horses and my safety.  So, I am overtrucked instead of using a SUV to pull a horsetrailer.

Trailer guy
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2007-09-17 2:41 PM (#68038 - in reply to #63545)

Hey Hosspuller, Did not mean to imply that all the information on the forum is worthless.  Just the oposite.  My point is when reading the forum you do not know what the origin is.  Could be an over the road driver with unlimited expeience or a everyday horseman with a life time of knowledge or a person with internet access on Ward 3B.. At least at the local Day Light Donut shop you can look face to face and make your own decision.  My concern is that the first time forum reader will be easily swayed with the info he/she reads.  Advise on how to load your horse or what saddle to use is open season.   Pulling a 6000# trailer with two or three horses at 65mph is another thing to consider.
chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2007-09-18 9:32 PM (#68077 - in reply to #68028)

Expert

Originally written by hosspuller on 2007-09-17 1:52 PM

Hey Trailerguy..An Internet forum is like a coffee shop.  There's always a bunch of opinion and facts floating around.  Do tall tales and misinformation get posted?  Certainly! Yet, is a coffee shop / Internet discussion worthless?  I'd say NOT.

One has to participate and use their brain to discern the truth and applicability.  After a time, like at a real coffee shop one learns whom to listen to and whom to discount as wasted bandwidth.     

The advice posted here isn't from "experts".  It is the accumulated experience of ordinary people.  Everyone has a story of their experience towing a horse trailer.  It's good to share experience.  A lifetime isn't long enough to make all the mistakes possible.  Learn from other people's mistakes.

As for whom to listen to...I'm an ordinary driver, Chadsalt is a Professional semi rig driver.  We are on opposite sides when the subject is heavy vs light tow vehicles.  Yet... Consider.. Tiger Woods will outplay me everyday using an old broom handle while I use the finest set of golf clubs made.  How many people hauling their horses are similarly gifted or experienced as a rig driver?  I'd want every advantage for my horses and my safety.  So, I am overtrucked instead of using a SUV to pull a horsetrailer.

Well written, but a touch sneaky.  While the “golf’ scenario is a good comparison, allow me to run one by you.  In my younger days I used to shoot in USPSA (practical shooting) matches.  When I started I had a cheaper, entry level pistol (think cheaper small tow vehicle), about $1200.  My upper level mentor who had been shooting for years had a much more expensive pistol, I think he paid around $3000 (think big dually) for it.  Now, he could out shoot me with both eyes closed, he could even outshoot me with my own pistol……….but now to the point.  Even with his better pistol I could not shoot a better score than I could with my cheaper, entry level pistol.  This is basically the principal most of my advice revolves around, when I am actually giving advice…I prefer to stick to facts.  All the greatest equipment in the world will not help when the $h!t hits the fan.  I “believed” the high dollar race gun felt better, handled better, shot better, and I would have swore I was tearing up the X ring, but when the smoke cleared I found out different.  Sure an expert can do more with less, but can an amateur make the “more” perform to the higher level???

PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-09-19 4:26 AM (#68080 - in reply to #68077)

Expert

Originally written by chadsalt on 2007-09-18 10:32 PM

Even with his better pistol I could not shoot a better score than I could with my cheaper, entry level pistol. 

Ah come on Chad...fess up your just a bad shot...

chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2007-09-19 5:45 AM (#68081 - in reply to #68080)

Expert

Originally written by PaulChristenson on 2007-09-19 5:26 AM

Originally written by chadsalt on 2007-09-18 10:32 PM

Even with his better pistol I could not shoot a better score than I could with my cheaper, entry level pistol. 

Ah come on Chad...fess up your just a bad shot...

come on now, i didnt say i shot poorly with my cheap pistol.........

Trailer guy
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2007-09-19 8:10 AM (#68084 - in reply to #63545)

Chadsalt,After reviewing the original post I saw no refrence to money being a factor when choosing a tow vehicle.  I would assume that your position is cheaper is better.  Given the choice would you have preferred your pistol or your mentors?  I really fail to see a logical comparison between cheap pistols and safe towing.  My whole point in this discussion is in reference to your qualifications to tell a complete stranger how to pull his/her trailer.  I respect your decision on what to use for your self or your wife but disagree totally with your telling strangers it is safe to use a specific truck or SUV based on what you did in the past.  What would your feelings be if next  week this poster got back on the web and informed you that based largely on your experience using a Trail Blazer and the fact the you drive a semi for a living, was involved in a fatal accident?  Would yuo be willing to accept any sort of responsibilty?   I promise I am not trying to start a lengthy arguement but as Hosspuller would say "merely coffee shop talk."
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-09-19 8:16 AM (#68086 - in reply to #68077)

Expert

Originally written by chadsalt on 2007-09-18 8:32 PM

Originally written by hosspuller on 2007-09-17 1:52 PM

Well written, but a touch sneaky.  While the “golf’ scenario is a good comparison, allow me to run one by you.  In my younger days I used to shoot in USPSA (practical shooting) matches.  When I started I had a cheaper, entry level pistol (think cheaper small tow vehicle), about $1200.  My upper level mentor who had been shooting for years had a much more expensive pistol, I think he paid around $3000 (think big dually) for it.  Now, he could out shoot me with both eyes closed, he could even outshoot me with my own pistol……….but now to the point.  Even with his better pistol I could not shoot a better score than I could with my cheaper, entry level pistol.  This is basically the principal most of my advice revolves around, when I am actually giving advice…I prefer to stick to facts.  All the greatest equipment in the world will not help when the $h!t hits the fan.  I “believed” the high dollar race gun felt better, handled better, shot better, and I would have swore I was tearing up the X ring, but when the smoke cleared I found out different.  Sure an expert can do more with less, but can an amateur make the “more” perform to the higher level???

Chadsalt ... You missed the "target"  of my analogy.  Both of the weapons you used were handguns. ... Same caliber?  Allow me a different analogy for you...

You use a Glock 17 9mm pistol (an Explorer SUV) Light tow vehicle...

I use a M198 155 mm Howitzer (Chevy 3500 dually) Heavy tow vehicle...

It doesn't matter if my driving skill (aim) is off by 30 mm, the target is hit.

PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-09-19 4:09 PM (#68120 - in reply to #68084)

Expert

Originally written by Trailer guy on 2007-09-19 9:10 AM

My whole point in this discussion is in reference to your qualifications to tell a complete stranger how to pull his/her trailer.  I respect your decision on what to use for your self or your wife but disagree totally with your telling strangers it is safe to use a specific truck or SUV based on what you did in the past.  What would your feelings be if next  week this poster got back on the web and informed you that based largely on your experience using a Trail Blazer and the fact the you drive a semi for a living, was involved in a fatal accident?  Would yuo be willing to accept any sort of responsibilty?   I promise I am not trying to start a lengthy arguement but as Hosspuller would say "merely coffee shop talk."

He has no legal responsibility for any suggestion made...He did NOT ORDER the individual to follow his suggestions...

PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-09-19 4:35 PM (#68123 - in reply to #63545)

Expert

As a recap...

A woman towing a 2600 POUND TRAILER...not a 5600 lb trailer as introduced by Headhunter...but a 2600 POUND TRAILER....that is 1.5 TONS LESS

A woman wants to add 850 (horse) + 900 (horse) + 100 (tack) + 40 (5 gallons of water @ 8lbs per gal) for a load total of 1890 POUNDS

So we have an EXPLORER with a MAX 7000 POUND capacity hauling 4490 POUNDS, with a 1.5 TONS of its towing capacity still available...

Chad suggested a WDH...maybe he should have SPELLED it out......WEIGHT DISTRIBUTION HITCH...but the one item that the OP (original poster) did not state was TONGUE WEIGHT which would have been very nice to know...

NOW I don't agree with Chad about alot of things......but in this case I don't see what all of the hulabaloo is about...

IF anything you should be directing your concerns to the FORD MOTOR COMPANY, because they are the ones saying that an Explorer can TOW a maximum of 7000 POUNDS

The major shortfall of internet forums is the lack of data posted by questioners, like her driving record...

wendmil
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2007-09-19 6:09 PM (#68128 - in reply to #63545)

Veteran

Well I for one am very happy that forums like this exist.  It's not just getting one person's opinion that "they" think it's ok to do this or that, but it opens up a whole new avenue of paths for me to pursue.  Like, when I first came to this forum I really didn't know where to get started on figuring out what do I need to tow a trailer and what to look for.  Oh sure I could have gone to the library or searched the internet, but it's nice to come here (especially if one is in a hurry to get the info) and get some starting points and "kick it around" with some folks that have "been there, done that".  It's my own personal responsibility to use my common sense and verify the info.  I really like that "coffee shop" analogy.  (heading to Starbuck's)
chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2007-09-19 6:10 PM (#68129 - in reply to #63545)

Expert

trailer guy,

i do not contend cheaper is better, rarely has anything to do with it.  a larger older truck can be had for similar money as a new small one.

given a choice, at the time, i preferred my cheaper pistol because i couldnt shot any better with the expensive one.....and i had more money left over for ammo to practice.  (and practice i did, paul)

im sorry you dont see the comparison between my story and hauling. 

as for "My whole point in this discussion is in reference to your qualifications to tell a complete stranger how to pull his/her trailer", you have no idea if i have ever seen a horse trailer do you?  you would be welcome to search some of my past post to gain insight on my "qualifications".  what are your qualifications for me to be qualified?

you are also perfectly welcome to disagree with "telling strangers it is safe to use a specific truck or SUV based on what you did in the past." , quite a few people here agree with you.  wont hurt my feelings, change my mind, or change the info i make available.

what if someone goes out and dies in a trailblazer because i said i used one safely?  plain and simply, not my problem.  they asked a question, i answered it.  what they do with that info is solely THEIR responsibility.  what if you told someone you haul with a dually, they used a dually and died?

chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2007-09-19 6:31 PM (#68131 - in reply to #68086)

Expert

Originally written by hosspuller on 2007-09-19 9:16 AM

Chadsalt ... You missed the "target"  of my analogy.  Both of the weapons you used were handguns. ... Same caliber?  Allow me a different analogy for you...

You use a Glock 17 9mm pistol (an Explorer SUV) Light tow vehicle...

I use a M198 155 mm Howitzer (Chevy 3500 dually) Heavy tow vehicle...

It doesn't matter if my driving skill (aim) is off by 30 mm, the target is hit.

90% of these topics are about a 2h BP.  a novice, ham fisted yank on the wheel, and stab on the brakes at the wrong time in a crisis with 5000# in tow will put either truck in the ditch.  i understand your side of the discussion, i just dont always agree with the sledge hammer to drive a nail approach.

i believe our main difference is how you and i perceive different vehicles, this may very well have to do with how much time ive spent in the big rigs. but in keeping with the analogy theme; if the explorer is the 9mm, i would class the dually as .357 magnum, not a howitzer.  both will answer the call of glass breaking at 0200, a 12 gauge might be better, but i wouldnt feel "under gunned" with either pistol.

who is right?  i doubt we will ever know.

headhunter
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2007-09-19 6:41 PM (#68132 - in reply to #68131)

Elite Veteran

Nobody is right and nobody is wrong.  We all come to these forums to learn, share our experiences, and hopefully help others from making the same mistakes we did.   When anyone decides its more important to be proven right, the whole intent of the forum is lost and its likely the orginal poster doesn't get any more useful information.   Hoping we can get back on track with this topic by sharing useful experiences with the original poster. 
Tx. Vaquero
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2007-09-19 6:59 PM (#68134 - in reply to #63545)

nobody can stop a rhino with a .22
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-09-19 7:25 PM (#68135 - in reply to #68134)

Expert

Originally written by Tx. Vaquero on 2007-09-19 5:59 PM

nobody can stop a rhino with a .22

Shot placement is critical to getting the desired results with any weapon

Maximizer
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2007-09-19 10:00 PM (#68140 - in reply to #63545)

I wouldn't be scared to pull your trailer with the Explorer..  Just use some common sense going down the road and you will be fine..  Leave a good distance between the car in front of you and so on..  If your trailer didn't have brakes I would say don't attempt it.. Since it does, go ride and have fun!  Never mind all of these other people arguing about it.

Edited by Maximizer 2007-09-19 10:01 PM
Trailer guy
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2007-09-20 7:29 AM (#68147 - in reply to #63545)

This discussion has probably taken up enough time and space and more than likely has out lived its usefulness.  We can agree to disagree OK!  Nothing personal was ever intended.  Just coffee shop talk.!!