Questions for those with DIY living quarters
barrelsnpcs
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2007-07-08 9:30 AM (#63453)
Subject: Questions for those with DIY living quarters

Veteran

Since I can't ride much with all the rain we've had, I've started working on my LQs (again) and have questions for those of you that have done your own:

What thickness of insulation and plywood did you use on the floor?

Did you use plywood or OSB for the floor?

Where did you get your lighting? I like the spotlights under the cabinets and the reading light in the bed area.  Is it ok to use the lighting found at Lowes?

Where did you put your water heater and fresh water tank, and water pump?

What size fresh water tank did you use (if you have installed a shower)?

Did you make your cabinets, and drawers?

Is there any problem with using the dorm type refrigerators or the small house electric water heaters?  How big is your water heater?

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions!

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Turfa
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2007-07-08 4:13 PM (#63464 - in reply to #63453)
Subject: RE: Questions for those with DIY living quarters

Veteran

I'll answer those question that I can.  On the floor, I just left the carpet that was factory installed.  If I had to do the floor, I would use the OSB board.  The 7/16 board would be sturdy enough.  I did not insulate the floor in my trailer. 

The lighting would be best if you used 12V lighting.  This you could run off of an auxilary battery, and have lights when ever you needed them.  If you use the 110V lights you will need to plug into power before you can turn on the lights.  I bought most of my lights from the Ebay site listed below.  You can also get other "Camper" parts needed.

My trailer came with a Boot Box against the front wall.  I placed the water tank and pump in the box.  This keeps the weight down low and at the front of the trailer.  The water heater I have not installed.  I do have a 2 Gal electric in the barn, but it is pretty big for what it does.  A propane 6 Gal would be best if you want to add the propane tanks.  These heat up fast and can keep up with a shower if needed.

I installed a 20 Gal tank, and as I have not done any long term camping, that has been more than adaquate.  No shower.  I have an tent privy that I shower in.

The cabinets were a combination.  I built all of the frames and drawers, but I purchased the cabinet doors from Ebay.  See attached site.

I have seen a lot of people that use the dorm type refrigerators.  Again you will need 110V power.

Below are the site addresses and the one for my camper page.  I hope that this helps.

http://home.earthlink.net/~dheismann/

http://motors.listings.ebay.com/Other-Vehicle-Parts_RV-Trailer-Camper-Parts_W0QQfclZ3QQfromZR11QQsacatZ50067QQsocmdZListingItemList

http://stores.ebay.com/DOORSANDPULLS_W0QQssPageNameZl2QQtZkm

Dunoir
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2007-07-09 7:11 AM (#63490 - in reply to #63453)
Subject: RE: Questions for those with DIY living quarters

Elite Veteran

There was a recent thread on this and one poster gave a website that is a member on here.  The website gave a lot of great instructions, info, and pictures on doing your own LQ.  (I bought mine already done).

I recomend installing propane if at all possible.  That way you are self contained and your refrigerator is an actual fridge instead of just a cooler if you don't have electric and you can't run the generator non-stop.  Propane runs my fridge, hot water heater, and cooktop which makes it really easy to go a weekend without electric.  Yes, the propane fridge is more expensive, but I have found its much colder on propane than electric.

Lots of storage is important, countertop space is nice for preparing food, reading, writing, socializing. I have a dinnette and really like it for eating inside if the weather's bad, preparing meals, etc. 

Good luck it's alot of work but the end result is worth it.