Featherlite Trailer, read the small print!!!
mshal
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-05-29 4:25 PM (#61407)
Subject: Featherlite Trailer, read the small print!!!

Regular

I have told everyone how much I loved my trailer, until I pulled the mats and had huge holes in the floor! I do pull them and wash it out regularly. I also bed really deep and clean out after each use.

When I talked to Featherlite I was told that I should just overlay the floor. and it was not covered under warranty and I should have pulled the mats 6 or 7 times a year!

So, if you, like a friend of mine have bought one I am sorry. It will be a huge mistake!!!! Featherlite is not the company they used to be!

On the other hand  a 10 year old 4 star that had never had the mats pulled, had a pristine floor underneath!

Featherlite is building an inferior product and they know it!

NO brand bashing, just the facts!!! If you are pulling a Featherlite check the floor!!! I have pulled one brand or the other for the past  30 years and I have never seen anything like this!!!

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Puddintame
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2007-05-29 5:44 PM (#61411 - in reply to #61407)
Subject: RE: Featherlite Trailer, read the small print!!!

What kind of floor does your trailer have?  What kind of huge holes?  Can you post a picture?
rider3
Reg. Sep 2006
Posted 2007-05-29 6:33 PM (#61414 - in reply to #61407)

Veteran

I would be interested in the pictures as well.  I looked at F-lite and compared the thickness of the floor to the Merhow right next to it- Merhow was visably much, much thicker.  But in the end didn't care for the drilled holes in each which were what I felt- token drain holes.  Also didn't like the flat, cookie sheet feel they had.

I did end up with a vortex sprayed plank alum. floor that will drain- trust me, I've seen it with my horse that I swear saves the urinating for the trailer!  However, am still a little wary of alum. floors and like to know what to look for. 

Could the floor be replaced or 'covered' with Rumber?  The supports need to be stronger as that stuff is great, but heavy.

Hope all ends well for you! 

mshal
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-05-29 7:07 PM (#61422 - in reply to #61407)

Regular

Made an album under mshal. It shows the first stall floor that never has a horse init, I use it as a mid tack. Unless urine runs uphill it has never been wet! Holes are big enough to stick my thumbs through and a large area is pitted and thin.

I think Featherlite uses inferior Al. and they know it!!!!

farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2007-05-29 8:29 PM (#61425 - in reply to #61407)

Expert

hold on there- you don't know anything. You have no facts- just a bad situation that you seem to want to vent it out here. Maybe you'd be better served trying to deal with Featherlite in a rational manner. Trailers are never problem free and most people get better results with the company or a good dealer rather than spouting off on a message baord.
mshal
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-05-29 8:46 PM (#61427 - in reply to #61407)

Regular

Maybe you need to hold on! I have talked to Featherlite. I assure you I am very experienced w/ trailers. I have hauled for over 30 years and to several national titles! I have spent alot of my life on the road pulling a trailer and have owned two Featherlites before this one! I know that the floors in the older trailers held up very well and this one is a pile of swiss cheese in 4 1/2 years!
marym
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2007-05-29 10:58 PM (#61445 - in reply to #61407)

OMG..I'd be teling every one. Only 4 1/2 years and it looks like that? What is the life of a trailer floor? 3 yrs? I'd be uptight too..They sell them with the mats. How can they not cover the floor? Thats kinda big part of what I buy a trailer for a good sound floor so our horses don't drag their feet down the road? Love it when people say Ya get what ya pay for...Well at least the name sounds good to others..Over price to me does not = Quailty MaryM
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2007-05-30 7:05 AM (#61454 - in reply to #61407)

Expert

national titles for hauling??????????????

I should mention this to my pal with a 1998 featherlite thats still on the road, looks great and gee great floors. Or the other friend with a 2 yr old featherlite that still has a solid floor or maybe that other friend.....well you get the picture....

mshal
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-05-30 7:34 AM (#61458 - in reply to #61407)

Regular

No, I just meant that anyone that has won national titles has spent alot of time on the road! Didn't think I needed to spell it out!

I, too have owned other Featherlite trailers and loved them which is why I bought this one!! But this one has a real problem w/ the floor!

If you had paid what I did for this trailer and had this happen so soon, maybe you would be a little more tolerant of other folks point of view!

crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2007-05-30 9:41 AM (#61464 - in reply to #61458)

Expert

We bought a new Platinum once that already had corrosion under the mats when we got it.

You might say,well,didn't you see that? H no,I didn't man handle the mats at the dealership to look at the darned floor on a new trailer.

When anybody buys an expensive (and expensive is whatever is defined by THAT PERSON,not everybody else who isn't paying for it) trailer,there should be along with the paperwork and money exchanged a trust factor in the manufacturer of an item that live cargo will be hauled in,you know?From what I've read,she did her part in maintainence  for the trailer.

Mshal,as the kids say at school,"Man,I feel you."

dustnem
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2007-05-30 10:04 AM (#61465 - in reply to #61407)

I am a little confused. If you haul a lot and you pull your mats and clean the floor regularly; How did you not notice the pitting when it started, because that does not happen overnight and why does 6 or 7 times a year seem like a lot to someone that hauls as much as you do?
mshal
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-05-30 2:20 PM (#61492 - in reply to #61407)

Regular

We did not haul much last winter and were just getting cranked up to start hauling this year. There was some discoloration the last time we washed it, but not really pits. If there had been I would have had werm put over it or something!

Edited by mshal 2007-05-30 2:37 PM
dustnem
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2007-05-30 5:20 PM (#61507 - in reply to #61492)

"There was some discoloration the last time we washed it, but not really pits."

"Not really pits" and I think the discoloration would have been alarming, since you have so much trailer experience. Taking action when you saw the signs the last time you cleaned it would have saved you a lot of trouble.

scoop
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-05-30 5:31 PM (#61508 - in reply to #61507)

Originally written by dustnem on 2007-05-30 3:20 PM

"There was some discoloration the last time we washed it, but not really pits."

"Not really pits" and I think the discoloration would have been alarming, since you have so much trailer experience. Taking action when you saw the signs the last time you cleaned it would have saved you a lot of trouble.

Not the OP but having encountered a similar issue - and noticing faint (can pits be faint) pits...perhaps extremely shallow would be a better way to phrase it...to the point that they were more like scratches I was shocked (very shocked) at how quickly the small scratches became deep pits.  Seemingly within a couple of months.  I honestly didn't know how rapidly the aluminum would corrode - my Masters degree isn't in chemistry.

But, it doesn't mean that I haven't hauled lots or miles nor does it mean I haven't owned multiple trailers.  I have done both...but the other trailers didn't have an aluminum floor.  So admittedly, I was uneducated about the nature of aluminum flooring and the rate at which it corrodes - I've now learned a valuable lesson at a price steeper than any semester of college.

And once I saw the pits...I did take action.  I contacted the manufacturer for advice on how to prevent further pits from happening and arrest the corrosion process.  To date their advice has been less than helpful (actually they just ceased returning my calls/emails).

Sorry to hijack, OP, my trailer wasn't a Featherlite but I encountered the same problems...

mshal
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-05-30 6:33 PM (#61512 - in reply to #61507)

Regular

Really, Dustynem, no need to be so dang catty!!!! If you would like to know anything I will be glad to tell you. I am being completely truthful about this situation and if that bothers you I am sorry!

Just for the record the Featherlite DEALER has an 01 that he has only pulled the mats once and his floor was in alot better shap than mine!

N2ridin
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2007-05-30 6:55 PM (#61515 - in reply to #61407)

Elite Veteran

Why is everybody getting their panties in a wad with mshal???  The guy's venting about a defective trailer for petes sake.  You mean to tell me you wouldn't vent too???  I'm sure the dealer and manufacturer have been notified, but are not satisfying their customer. Not all Featherlites are crap, just the one he has now.  Vent on mshal, some of us feel your pain! 
rider3
Reg. Sep 2006
Posted 2007-05-30 10:31 PM (#61531 - in reply to #61508)

Veteran

Aluminum trailers are popular but have to say even the Merhows and F-lites on the lot had 'icky' looking aluminum hinges etc... Dealer said it would be acid washed to restore resiliance and shine but now have to wonder if that was simply corrosion?  My current trailer has alot of alum. over a steel frame- already had a little incident with a gravel guard.  Alum. has it's downfalls as far as repairs are concerned! 
loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2007-05-30 10:44 PM (#61533 - in reply to #61515)

Expert

MY friend has a featherlite yr 98 the floor looks good the trailer was build before featherlite  was sold to the new people
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2007-05-30 11:18 PM (#61538 - in reply to #61515)

Expert

Originally written by N2ridin on 2007-05-30 6:55 PM

Why is everybody getting their panties in a wad with mshal???  The guy's venting about a defective trailer for petes sake.  You mean to tell me you wouldn't vent too???  I'm sure the dealer and manufacturer have been notified, but are not satisfying their customer. Not all Featherlites are crap, just the one he has now.  Vent on mshal, some of us feel your pain! 

YEAH!!!

Ardly
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2007-06-01 9:47 AM (#61599 - in reply to #61407)

Veteran

I really don't understand why some people have such a problem with others when they have anything negative to say (in this case) about there trailer.Seems to me that there's not anyone here other than the op that truly knows one way or the other as to the validity of there story. Also seems to me that folks should consider that in reading the op's post and take it for what they think it's worth. Seen plenty of times that the salesman was bending over backwards @ sale time, then wouldn't give you the time of day after the sale. Also seen many a time that the customer would do just about everything wrong with a product that could be done and expect the manufacturer to suck it up and fix there(the customers)mess. I can't count the times in the last several years that someone has "vented" on this forum and described there being totally ignored by the manufacturer or the dealership only to have a representative of one or the other come along and deny that there has been any contact at all between the two.Seems like any prudent person posting on this forum would understand both sides if they have ever done very much business at all. I said all that to say this........Believe what seems the most believable, take ALL of it with a few grains of salt, hope that you're not in there shoes someday, and try to post in a way that helps someone else!!!!!!!!!!!                                , Ardly

mshal
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-06-01 3:04 PM (#61620 - in reply to #61407)

Regular

Ardley,

I wish someone had warned me before I bought this trailer. If it was just a three horse w/o a full LQ then I would not have been so upset!!! I have owned Featherlite trailers before and had been happy with them or I would not have bought another one!!! But I did find out that what once was good may not be good now!!! So, next time I will look to this and other boards to see what people are currently saying about my prospective trailer before buying!!!

I have thick enough skin that someone just being mean and petty won't faze me, if I think it is someone who has something to teach me, then I pay attention! The rest I just write off !

N2ridin
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2007-06-01 5:00 PM (#61630 - in reply to #61407)

Elite Veteran

I'm with you Ardly!
barstow
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-06-02 7:19 AM (#61656 - in reply to #61407)

Veteran

Sorry for your unexpected surprise, mshal. That just plain sucks. I wouldn't let up on Featherlite, though. I am one of those people that writes letters, makes phone calls, and generally becomes a pest until something is done. At least split the cost of the repair with you. Keep at them!

Now for my question. I don't own an alum trailer, I have a steel (galvaneal) with a pressure-treated wood floor that  appears to have been lightly sprayed with the same paint as the trailer. I pull my mats up (at the butt end) and hose out after every trip. It's a big PITA but I do it because, like another poster, my mares reserve urinating until they are in the privacy of their trailer (modest horses?)

Is this overkill? Am I creating extra work for myself? Is it just harder to pull mats out of a larger trailer? Mine is a 2-horse BP slant load. The mats are cut into odd shapes and take a little work to get them back in place. That's why I usually only roll them back at the butt end, assuming the front end isn't getting soaked with urine.

Thanks, and good luck mshal.

mshal
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-06-02 7:34 AM (#61657 - in reply to #61656)

Regular

This was a 3horse slant, so there were three different mats. Could not roll them up, all had to be pulled out! We did do this several times a year but I think F'lite thinks you should do this after each use!!!

As far as writing letters ect., F'lite knows they have a problem but refuse to fix it. So I have decided that I (or anyone I know if I can help it!) will NEVER buy another one. They have NO customer service and think that once they get your money they are done!!! May be it is just me but if I pay over $50,000 for a trailer I think it ought to last over 4 years!!!!

They are the only brand of trailer that I am aware of that only covers the floor for 12 months!!!!

crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2007-06-02 10:16 AM (#61668 - in reply to #61599)

Expert

Originally written by Ardly on 2007-06-01 9:47 AM

I really don't understand why some people have such a problem with others when they have anything negative to say (in this case) about there trailer.Seems to me that there's not anyone here other than the op that truly knows one way or the other as to the validity of there story. Also seems to me that folks should consider that in reading the op's post and take it for what they think it's worth. Seen plenty of times that the salesman was bending over backwards @ sale time, then wouldn't give you the time of day after the sale. Also seen many a time that the customer would do just about everything wrong with a product that could be done and expect the manufacturer to suck it up and fix there(the customers)mess. I can't count the times in the last several years that someone has "vented" on this forum and described there being totally ignored by the manufacturer or the dealership only to have a representative of one or the other come along and deny that there has been any contact at all between the two.Seems like any prudent person posting on this forum would understand both sides if they have ever done very much business at all. I said all that to say this........Believe what seems the most believable, take ALL of it with a few grains of salt, hope that you're not in there shoes someday, and try to post in a way that helps someone else!!!!!!!!!!!                                , Ardly

Again,I say,YEAHHHH!

Same thing happened to us when we bought a new trailer in '05.The dealer bugged the daylights out of us,calling me at work at least twice a day that following week after we'd looked at the trailer,ect.Because they knew we were also considering a KieferBuilt,the dealer had one coming in with mangers,ect.that we wanted.We went ahead and bought the trailer.There was nothing wrong with the trailer itself,no structural flaws,ect.Problem was we could not get the keys to the LQ out of them! They'd "lost" them when we picked it up.Hindsight: never accept a LQ trailer without the keys.You are right.They disappeared after the sale.THey could have cared less.I tell anybody who asks who this dealer is after that incident.

Puddintame
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2007-06-02 11:34 AM (#61675 - in reply to #61407)

Hello!

Can you post a picture please?

ATrailerPro
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2007-06-02 3:38 PM (#61681 - in reply to #61407)

They have pictures posted in the albums section under mshal, featherlite floor holes.
It is in the middle column towards the bottom.
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2007-06-04 1:51 PM (#61777 - in reply to #61407)

Expert

If you want to vent- then fine, set up a blog and vent all you want. The problem is whenever someone has a bad expereince we get A- only one side of the story. We have no idea what is really going on, just what we are being told by the "victim" and B- the immediate assumption that the manufacture is " is building an inferior product and they know it"...no we don't know it and neither do you. You have provided no evidence of an "inferior product" nor have you proved that " they know it". You said you "pull them and wash it out regularly. I also bed really deep and clean out after each use.".. yet the holes are "huge"...how did they get so huge so fast? Could it be a really bad floor or maybe you're not being totally truthful? We don't know. I would be concerned too but I get tired of the same old knee jerk reaction based soley on your incident ALONE. You compare your floor to an older 4-star trailer- this proves nothing at all but you use that ONE OTHER trailer floor as proof of what????? You haven't provided any facts as to a "inferior product"...just a bad experience.

mshal
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-06-04 2:06 PM (#61779 - in reply to #61407)

Regular

Farmbabe, You are right it is only my experience and I don't understand why YOU take it so personal!! The only thing I can post is what happened to me on THIS Featherlite trailer, I also stated that I had owned other Featherlites and had no problem! And it was not a knee jerk reaction, it was a heart stopping reaction when I pulled the mats out!!!! I have tried to go back and find the old posts where I told people to buy this trailer because of the extra wide stalls.I have changed my internet provider and had to re register so I can't find the old posts!!! I think this is an important subject for anyone buying a trailer. I went solely on my past experiences and it bit me in the but!!! If you think this is not a valid subject then don't post on it!!!!
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2007-06-04 2:39 PM (#61780 - in reply to #61779)

Expert

This isn't personal to me at all ( why would you think so?) I have no dog in this fight. You started this thread and I am only responding- sorry if I am not sucking up. "The only thing I can post is what happened to me on THIS Featherlite trailer, I also stated that I had owned other Featherlites and had no problem!"- However, you claim in the OP that Featherlite is building a "inferior product and they know it"....which is it, one bad apple or the whole barrel? I can understand your frustration but like I said its become a knee jerk reaction to make wild claims against the manufacture be it Bison, Exiss or Featherlite whenever something goes wrong. Not long ago,someone had a horse bust its head through the roof of a Exiss and BINGO!! ALL Exiss trailers were unsafe and dangerous!! Exiss knew they were building a bad trailer!!! Don't buy a Exiss!!!! How shrill. Now you're doing the samething ( lots of !!!!)
DaveM
Reg. Sep 2003
Posted 2007-06-04 4:49 PM (#61790 - in reply to #61780)

Elite Veteran

I have to admit . . . Farmbabe makes a good point in that you can't take down the whole company for one trailer.  Bringing up a problem on this board is a good thing. 

Using the board to take down a trailer company based upon your most recent trailer experience is drawing conclusions based upon your emotions.  No problem there either.  You've aired your complaint on our board about this trailer and spoke highly of other trailers from this company you've owned in the past.  Now the thread is degenerating into differences of opinion and perspective. 

The thread is not being deleted.  Just frozen.