Question about slightly bent hitch receiver
nolefan
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2007-05-28 10:01 PM (#61362)
Subject: Question about slightly bent hitch receiver

Regular

Should I be concerned?  The other day I was pulling our 2 horse BP with our SUV using a weight distribution hitch.  I made too tight a circle (I know I should have back a couple of additional times to get a straighter line) and I heard a horrible noise - looks the safety chain on the left side slight bent our hitch receiver (where you snap chain on).

I was so mad!  I knew I should have popped the spring bars off or backed up a few additional times.

Should I be concerned enough about the receiver to have it checked out?  The actual WD hitch and springs bars look OK.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
kershawsowner
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2007-05-28 10:05 PM (#61363 - in reply to #61362)
Subject: RE: Question about slightly bent hitch receiver

Veteran

just my 2 cents always have it checked out if your not sure... all it would take to convince everyone of this is to see one horse trailer come off the truck like we did a couple of wks ago.. we did not even know these people and it was just terrible. we know one horse had to be put down out of the three (broken leg).. its just not worth it get it checked out and everyone please check and recheck before you pull your precious horses down the road,, never asume that someone else has done it all right.... happy riding
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-05-29 7:15 AM (#61376 - in reply to #61362)
Subject: RE: Question about slightly bent hitch receiver

Expert

Originally written by nolefan on 2007-05-28 10:01 PM

Should I be concerned? The other day I was pulling our 2 horse BP with our SUV using a weight distribution hitch. I made too tight a circle (I know I should have back a couple of additional times to get a straighter line) and I heard a horrible noise - looks the safety chain on the left side slight bent our hitch receiver (where you snap chain on).

I was so mad! I knew I should have popped the spring bars off or backed up a few additional times.

Should I be concerned enough about the receiver to have it checked out? The actual WD hitch and springs bars look OK.

If you are concerned about it enough to ask here then you should probably have it checked out.
From your description it sounds as if the chain loop is slightly bent, which on some receivers is just a loop of steel rod.
If this is the case the chances are high that you'll get the "mechanic's shrug" from whoever looks at it.
"Yeah it looks a bit bent, it shouldn't be a problem unless your trailer comes off the ball - Hah, Hahh"