Radiant Barrier on Trailer Roof....
Clover1
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2007-05-26 9:49 PM (#61286)
Subject: Radiant Barrier on Trailer Roof....

I have a new aluminum trailer and want to paint the roof with a radiant barrier.  I plan to stay a couple of inches away from the sealed\caulked areas at the edges.  Has anyone done this before?  If so, any suggestions and did it cut down on the heat inside significantly?  I'm in the Texas Gulf coast area and would like to make trailering more comfortable for my horses in the summer.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-05-27 5:11 PM (#61313 - in reply to #61286)
Subject: RE: Radiant Barrier on Trailer Roof....

Expert

Originally written by Clover1 on 2007-05-26 9:49 PM

I have a new aluminum trailer and want to paint the roof with a radiant barrier. I plan to stay a couple of inches away from the sealed\caulked areas at the edges. Has anyone done this before? If so, any suggestions and did it cut down on the heat inside significantly? I'm in the Texas Gulf coast area and would like to make trailering more comfortable for my horses in the summer.

We had a thread on this a while ago, but right now I'm not remembering it's title.
I think the basic conclusion by someone who tried an "insulation paint" was that it didn't work very well.
I insulated the roof of mine, basically 1 inch pink rigid foam and white aluminum skin "flashing" from Home Depot riveted to the roof ribs.
Jbsny
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2007-05-28 8:46 AM (#61345 - in reply to #61286)

Extreme Veteran

One of the previous threads was also about sealing the roof because it was leaking.  My friend also did the "DIY" route and it works great.  She also put on a RV coating made for shielding RVs (her dad told her about it).  You might want to consult an RV dealer, but I think that RVs would be insulated from the "gitgo".

Jbsny

barrelsnpcs
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2007-05-28 7:24 PM (#61356 - in reply to #61313)

Veteran

Originally written by Reg on 2007-05-27 5:11 PM

I have a new aluminum trailer and want to paint the roof with a radiant barrier. I plan to stay a couple of inches away from the sealed\caulked areas at the edges. Has anyone done this before? If so, any suggestions and did it cut down on the heat inside significantly? I'm in the Texas Gulf coast area and would like to make trailering more comfortable for my horses in the summer.

We had a thread on this a while ago, but right now I'm not remembering it's title.
I think the basic conclusion by someone who tried an "insulation paint" was that it didn't work very well.
I insulated the roof of mine, basically 1 inch pink rigid foam and white aluminum skin "flashing" from Home Depot riveted to the roof ribs.

What is white aluminum skin "flashing" ? What section would it be in at Home Depot?
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-05-28 8:08 PM (#61358 - in reply to #61356)

Expert

Originally written by barrelsnpcs on 2007-05-28 7:24 PM

Originally written by Reg on 2007-05-27 5:11 PM

What is white aluminum skin "flashing" ? What section would it be in at Home Depot?

I wrote that in a hurry.
I think it is actually "cladding" that is used around the wood trim when people do vinyl siding.
2ft wide, 50ft long rolls, score it with utility knife and bend it to fatigue crack it cleanly.

Clover1
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2007-05-29 9:45 AM (#61388 - in reply to #61345)

Thanks for the lead..... I spoke with a rep from the trailer manufacturer and he suggested looking into something for RVs too.  I did more reseach and found what I plan to use. The coating is an acrylic elastomeric paint designed for the roofs of buses and rvs on the outside, which will expand and contract with the heat\cold. The website is: http://www.hytechsales.com/prod2150.html  My trailer roof on the inside is actually already insulated and finished with the white sheeting\skin - I should have been more specific.  We bought some "Kool-Seal" from Home Depot and are painting the roof of the barn now too.
wendmil
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2007-05-29 5:22 PM (#61409 - in reply to #61286)

Veteran

I recently bought a used Sooner that has the silver mylar bubble-wrap-looking insulation on the roof.  Seems to work pretty well so far (though we haven't hit 110 degrees yet) and it looks nice.  Only complaint is I have to finesse it when I'm power washing it.