Zephyr trailers?
FrancaV
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2007-05-03 5:22 PM (#60376)
Subject: Zephyr trailers?

Regular

A friend of mine is planning to sell hers, and although I've done many searches I can't find any reference to Zephyr horse trailers or Zephyr stock trailers. (Hers is a 4H GN stock trailer.) My friend is several states away from me so I can't just go look at it. ;) I have seen it, but that was before I was trailer-shopping and, frankly, I didn't pay much attention to it except to admire the size of the tack/dressing room. LOL. Does anyone here know anything about Zephyr stock trailers? Could I be spelling the brand name incorrectly or ... ? Even if the company doesn't make trailers any more you'd think there would still be enough of them around for me to find some mention of them somewhere!

This trailer is larger (and older) than I was looking for (I was thinking of 3H or 16 - 18 ft, and this is 20 ft.), but in other respects it sounds like an excellent trailer. Just wish I could get a bit more information about this trailer brand and maybe some reviews from folks who have used them. 16

Thanks for any help!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Kay
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-05-04 11:27 AM (#60403 - in reply to #60376)
Subject: RE: Zephyr trailers?

Extreme Veteran

Franca -

Some years ago there was a gentleman (his name now escapes me) in Oklahoma who sold Zephyr trailers.  He is deceased now, I believe.  He had trailers built by various companies to his specifications and relabeled them as Zephyr.  Sometimes you could tell who built them, sometimes not.  I don't think there are many of them out there.  Any that I ever saw were steel.

I'll bet someone on this forum knows more about this than I do.  Maybe they will speak up.

FrancaV
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2007-05-04 2:06 PM (#60410 - in reply to #60403)

Regular

Originally written by Kay on 2007-05-04 9:27 AM

Franca -

Some years ago there was a gentleman (his name now escapes me) in Oklahoma who sold Zephyr trailers. He is deceased now, I believe. He had trailers built by various companies to his specifications and relabeled them as Zephyr. Sometimes you could tell who built them, sometimes not. I don't think there are many of them out there. Any that I ever saw were steel.

I'll bet someone on this forum knows more about this than I do. Maybe they will speak up.

Interesting - I bet you're right. I hope someone else here has more info but I think you've explained the primary mystery. ;)

Consult 1
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2007-05-07 8:56 AM (#60504 - in reply to #60376)

The name of the gentleman that is deceased is Van St.John from Tulsa, Oklahoma. Mr. St.John had a very successful career with IBM - #1 salesman for IBM for 40 years out of 41. Before he retired, he (St.John) started Zephyr trailer's. He had the trailer's private labeled. Van did such a great job of selling trailer's here in Oklahoma and surrounding state's that the company that was building trailer's for him wanted to buy him out and have him go to work for them. It was a bitter sweet deal for Van; he sold back his private label to the manufacturing company for a high level marketing position because he was selling more trailer's than the manufacturer. After all this, Van put the manufacturer on the right track of marketing while he was there....then after his death someone else took over the reins. In 1993, Van and I believe 4 other men were on a business trip to the Carolina's and had a plane crash where Van and 3 other men died - only one survivor. You are probably wondering who the manufacturer is........Sundowner.
FrancaV
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2007-05-07 11:55 PM (#60546 - in reply to #60504)

Regular

Wow - thank you so much for the great info. How sad that a plane crash cut his life short.
Tippy
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2007-06-23 8:05 AM (#62690 - in reply to #60504)

New User

Really?!

I just purchased a 1981 Zephyr. Had never heard of it.  The previous owner said it is a brand from the south.

Sundowner 'ay?

I would have to say for a 1981, not that bad of a trailer. Could be better if stored better. But it is solid.

Originally written by Consult 1 on 2007-05-07 8:56 AM

The name of the gentleman that is deceased is Van St.John from Tulsa, Oklahoma. Mr. St.John had a very successful career with IBM - #1 salesman for IBM for 40 years out of 41. Before he retired, he (St.John) started Zephyr trailer's. He had the trailer's private labeled. Van did such a great job of selling trailer's here in Oklahoma and surrounding state's that the company that was building trailer's for him wanted to buy him out and have him go to work for them. It was a bitter sweet deal for Van; he sold back his private label to the manufacturing company for a high level marketing position because he was selling more trailer's than the manufacturer. After all this, Van put the manufacturer on the right track of marketing while he was there....then after his death someone else took over the reins. In 1993, Van and I believe 4 other men were on a business trip to the Carolina's and had a plane crash where Van and 3 other men died - only one survivor. You are probably wondering who the manufacturer is........Sundowner.