New ranch king/calico trailers rusting
Steph_735
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2007-04-15 7:55 PM (#59343)
Subject: New ranch king/calico trailers rusting

Regular

Agg, i bought a new ranch king horse trailer made by calico in june 06. I ordered it and picked it up when it arrived from the factory in june. I took good care of my trailer and its rusting. The bottom of the doors are all rusty, the under body is all rusted, where the doors rub is all rusty, the latches/hinges are starting to rust. Some of the welds are starting to rust. The horse divider is starting to rust all over, the tack room wall is starting to rust on the bottom. And theirs spots of rust starting on the stock vents and in a few spots on the trailer, the hitch is getting rusty all ready. My trailers been washed and waxed really good after i got it, and i used it twice and cleaned it out really good after each use. I contacted the dealer where i bought it, and they said to take some pics with a digital camera and send it to them, so they can show the manufacturer. I know my trailers a cheaper trailer but theirs no reason it should be rusting like this after 10 months and even though  i cleaned it really good too. I was told the trailer has a 1yr paint warranty on it. What can i expect the company to do about the rust issue on my trailer? If i wanted a trailer to rust this fast i would have kept my old rusty trailer.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
micozzi
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2007-04-16 12:32 PM (#59399 - in reply to #59343)
Subject: RE: New ranch king/calico trailers rusting

I have the same problem with my calico trailer that I bought in April of 2006 I called the manufacturer and he told me to send him pictures also I did this and still have not heard anything from them he did tell me that I would have to pay for shipping to get it back out to AR, I told him it would probably be cheaper for me to get it painted here and it might actually stay on the trailer. I never got anything resolved so I guess I will have to pay out of pocket to get it painted.On mine there is only one coat of pretty sorry paint and you can rub paint off of the trailer with your fingers. I previously owned a 1986 and it had no where near the rust this one has
Steph_735
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2007-04-16 8:24 PM (#59428 - in reply to #59343)

Regular

If they have me pay for shipping it back to them to repaint it, it wont be worth it,  i could pay to have it repainted here for the same price with better paint also. If i knew i would have this paint problem i dont think i would have bought this trailer if i knew i'd be paying out of my pocket to either ship it or repaint it i think i would have just kept my old trailer and fixed it up for less then what i paid for this trailer.

jdzaharia
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2007-04-17 8:10 AM (#59439 - in reply to #59343)

Extreme Veteran

You could try explaining that you are far away and it will be costly for you to bring the trailer back to the factory for warranty work. Ask them if they would be willing to pay some of the bill if you brought it to a local business for repainting. Many companies have factory certified maintenance shops. Maybe they would be willing to do something similar with a body shop for your special case.

Whatever you do, do it fast. Only 2 months left in your warranty is not a lot of time.
micozzi
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2007-04-18 10:50 AM (#59536 - in reply to #59343)

I told them that I got mine from a dealer in TN and I live in NC so I would have to bring the trailer to Tn and then pay shipping from there he told me that it was standard practice and that I could talk to the dealer and see if he had any coming back and forth and split the cost with him I am still unwilling to do this because when I purchased a "NEW TRAILER" I expected the paint and everything to last more than a couple of months. Had I of known about the paint issues with this company when I ordered I would have bought from a different company unfortunately hindsight is 20/20
lazyj70
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2007-05-30 3:04 PM (#61494 - in reply to #59343)

Hello, I am Sean Johnson the V.P. of Calico Trailer Mfg. Co., Inc. I have been the trailer buiness for over 20 years, starting in the building shop and working up to V.P. This is in response to Steph_735's paint problem. I don't recall ever seeing the pictures I requested. I need to see what the problem is so we will know how to proceed. This is always the first step. Most all trailer mfg's warranties are at the factory. We have very few problems with our paint and have painted trailers at our factory that were as much as 10 years old free of charge. I guess the point I am trying to make is that I would at least like a fair shake at trying to fix the problem. We have to have pictures if there is a problem. As you can understand that we just can't mail out checks to everyone that calls on the phone. Also we use Valspar paints which is a industry leader in paints. If anyone would like to question the quality of the paint Valspar's number is 800-662-2350. I would like for anyone with a legit problem to feel free to call me at 501-589-2812. We are a reputable company that sells a less expensive line of trailers. We do not claim to make the nicest or fanciest trailer on the market but we belive we do have the best trailer on the market for the money. As most cowboys and folks that use steel trailers know some rust is going to happen on every single steel trailer on the market. There will be rust on the hitches where the coupler works back and forth and scratches the paint off or where the ball bumps the hitch backing up and you will see rust around the hinges and latches and working parts. Also on the inside where manure and urine lay on the sides, which have salt and acids in them. Also along the bottom of the inside where aniamls paw and scratch off the paint. You may see rust on the body divider where a sweaty animal rubs up against it for long periods of time. (sweat has high amounts of salts also). My point being, if you expect to see no rust on a trailer, you need to buy aluminum. I truly belive in our product as presented. I also belive that with the proper care that our trailer will last as long as any on the market. I also know our trailers have extremely high resale values. I have numerous customers that pull our trailers for one or two years and sell them for what they paid, get their money back and buy another one. Sorry for the long post but I wanted to put the facts out there and let everyone form their own opinions.

Edited by lazyj70 2007-06-28 9:28 AM
Maximizer
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2007-05-30 9:26 PM (#61524 - in reply to #59343)

The reason they trade every year or two cause they don't want to deal with the rust issues..   I have a trailer that leaks.  It was back to the dealer where I bought it multiple times. Never did get fixed..  Then the dealer went out of business.  Now the closest place is several hundred miles away.. With fuel prices the way they are its cheaper for me to let it leak..  Its not fair for the customer to have to spend there time and money trying to get an inferior product fixed..    Customer service in America has gone down hill..
loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2007-05-30 10:31 PM (#61532 - in reply to #61524)

Expert

I hope you give them a shot at fixing the trailer,  It is the right thing to do then you can let us all know how they did by you
micozzi
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2007-05-31 9:56 AM (#61553 - in reply to #59343)

I tried to give them a shot at fixing mine but can't get a response and I did email pictures and no response I love my trailer hate the paint job The old 1986 did not have problems with paint on the hinges or in my case simply coming off if you put your finger on it. And with the gas prices there is no way I could afford to pay and send it back. I bought Calico in the first place because it was affordable and fit my budget had I have known that I would have to have it repainted in less than a years time I would have looked other places. I have had many comments on my trailer and how nice it is with the exception of the bad paint job.
loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2007-05-31 10:43 AM (#61555 - in reply to #61553)

Expert

I am sorry that you are not getting  a response , you thing with this day and age of Internet that company's would thing of the big picture. people can now let everybody know that the company did them wrong. I do not get what the trailer company's  are thinking , you  pay for there mess?? 
Spooler
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2007-05-31 1:48 PM (#61566 - in reply to #59343)

Extreme Veteran

Wait a minute.  He just responded to you so you can send him a PM, get his email address, and send him pictures. They are trying to do the right thing. So let them.
ridinhigh
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2007-06-01 7:16 AM (#61588 - in reply to #59343)

I agree.  Sean sounds like he's putting it out there plainly for you.  He's offering.  Let him help you.

micozzi
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2007-06-01 10:12 AM (#61604 - in reply to #59343)

I talked to him on the phone and send pictures via email per his request and still have heard nothing and honestly the phone call was not a friendly lets see what we can work out kind of call either it was a bunch of excuses the hinges rust ect a GOOD  paint job will not just fall off in a years time with the wind blowing it and that is not an exageration. And cost is a factor to me also is it worth the $1500 it will cost to ship it back to AR and possibly go through this again or just pay to have it done right. My new 2006 trailer looks worse paint wise than a lot of 20 year old trailers I see.

hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-06-01 2:34 PM (#61616 - in reply to #61604)

Expert

Originally written by micozzi on 2007-06-01 9:12 AM

I talked to him on the phone and send pictures via email per his request and still have heard nothing and honestly the phone call was not a friendly lets see what we can work out kind of call either it was a bunch of excuses the hinges rust ect a GOOD  paint job will not just fall off in a years time with the wind blowing it and that is not an exageration. And cost is a factor to me also is it worth the $1500 it will cost to ship it back to AR and possibly go through this again or just pay to have it done right. My new 2006 trailer looks worse paint wise than a lot of 20 year old trailers I see.

Micozzi:  Since you seem to be asking for this forum's support,  How about posting some of the rust photos in an album on this site.  I'm interested,  This forum can be very persuasive to the trailer builders in your favor. (as you know, since you've posted your complaint here)

crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2007-06-16 10:12 PM (#62374 - in reply to #61604)

Expert

Micozzi,what ever happened?
luvmywalkers
Reg. Oct 2006
Posted 2007-06-16 11:50 PM (#62377 - in reply to #59343)

Regular

Maybe he didn't get the e-mail with the pictures, I would re-send them, then if i didn't get a response, I'd check into a good lawyer, with all the complaints sounds like a class action suit to me.

Since you only have 2 more months left on the warranty, they could just be stretching it out until that warranty runs out, then you would be responsible for the repair.

I hope you have documented all the phone calls, e-mail, responses, etc.

Good Luck !!! 

crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2007-06-17 1:36 PM (#62390 - in reply to #62377)

Expert

what luvmywalkers said may be true either way.He may not have gotten them,or the warranty thing.

My husband had a new GMC 8100 gas burner a few yrs back.It was using oil from the beginning,1 1/2 qt every 3G miles.We called the dealer,some distance away,and we couldn't take it there because of work ect.He told us to take it to our local GMC dealer in Jonesboro,AR,big mistake.They just kept changing the oil and telling us to bring the vehicle back.After 2nd time,and telling my husband to "bring it back" a third time,I told him,"They can see that you are telling the truth about the truck.They're trying to run your warranty out." We took it to another dealer in another town.TUrned out,GMC had issued a bulletin to dealers on that problem,torque manifold bolts a possibility.By this time,warranty was out,but,that dealer made good on it and changed them out.The  other dealer had never filed a warranty report to GMC which they were supposed to do on all vehicles having a problem under warranty.I was right,they WERE trying to run his warranty out,then tell him,"Too bad!"

What about the dealer where you bought your trailer,or,did you buy it from an individual? I believe Calico only sells through dealers.

PS I believe I would MAIL (by priority mail with return receipt requested ) those pictures to Calico if I were you.

Edited by crowleysridgegirl 2007-06-17 1:39 PM
micozzi
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2007-06-18 12:30 PM (#62417 - in reply to #59343)

I will try and get the pictures up this week. I still have had no response from Calico.
micozzi
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2007-06-27 12:19 PM (#62948 - in reply to #59343)

micozzi
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2007-06-27 12:23 PM (#62949 - in reply to #59343)

I have tried to put pictures in the album but it says they are to big I am still trying to upload pictures or make a link to these photos so they can be seen

hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-06-27 12:50 PM (#62953 - in reply to #62949)

Expert

Originally written by micozzi on 2007-06-27 11:23 AM

I have tried to put pictures in the album but it says they are to big I am still trying to upload pictures or make a link to these photos so they can be seen

You'll need a photo resizer to reduce the pixels of the photo.  Here is a link to a free download.

>>>  http://www.download.com/Photo-Resizer/3000-2192_4-10326178.html

micozzi
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2007-06-27 2:52 PM (#62961 - in reply to #59343)

Thanks I will try again

micozzi
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2007-06-27 3:38 PM (#62967 - in reply to #59343)

Finally I have downloaded some photos to an album there are some of the back of the trailer where the paint is coming off in small spots that did not show up really good in these pictures will try to get better ones. I know that places where I raised the gooseneck will rust but there are places on the neck that have not been touched by anything and it is rusting same with the jack handle there is no paint left on it and all that has touched the outside of it is my hand and it is pure rust now.
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2007-06-27 3:55 PM (#62968 - in reply to #62967)

Expert

Edited by crowleysridgegirl 2007-06-27 3:57 PM
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2007-06-27 3:57 PM (#62969 - in reply to #62967)

Expert

Does it sit outside?
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-06-27 8:00 PM (#62980 - in reply to #62967)

Expert

Micozzi... Thanks for the pictures. 

Here's my opinion... The paint issue lies somewhere between your expectations and Calico's paint job.  The trailer is unsheltered or has spent some time in the weather.  I speak from experience in this area.  I had a horse trailer that was 20 years old.  2 years spent in the weather did more damage than the preceding 18 years sheltered.  On your trailer; the rust from hinges and latches is to be expected.  The rust streaks are weather related.  Since trailers aren't dipped like cars, there will be unpainted spots in the joints and welds.   Unless the paint film is intact, the steel will rust.  No questions.  The only alternative is to shelter the trailer.  If you can get the trailer under shelter, a bit of scrubbing will remove the streaks and a spray can of paint will fix the streak source. 

Calico's paint job is spotty at best.  Clearly, the door stiles and some of the panels have a sparse coating on them.  Those areas should not have rusted through the paint in a short time.

May I suggest an equitable solution?  Calico provide enough original paint in spray cans to retouch the sparse & streaked areas or cost share a local paint shop to an agreed on dollar amount.

micozzi
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2007-06-28 8:20 AM (#63008 - in reply to #59343)

yes this trailer does sit outside but it began to rust in a months time this trailer is only a year old the old trailer I had was 20 years old it sat outside and did not rust like this. There is no base coat of anything just one thin layer of paint that is my issue and yes I would be willing to work with Calico to split cost of getting it painted local or me spot painting myself if they would send the paint. I love my trailer but it should not be losing paint like this. Whenever asked about my trailer I tell everyone the only problem I have with it is the paint job. And yes I would like to get this resolved.
lazyj70
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2007-06-28 8:25 AM (#63009 - in reply to #59343)

micozzi, Did Jamie with Valspar not call you, because he told me he did!  He also told me he agreed to split that painting cost with me. My number is 501-589-2812. I prefer to do buisness in person and not on a message board.  It's hard to communicate on a message board.  Call me and let me know your are the one on the forum.  I'm trying to help you. Calico does provide the original paint in a spray can for all of its customers at no charge upon request at the time of original purchase. Calico has never denied a paint job to anyone upon them returning it to the factory.  We have even warrantied rock chips in the paint where the truck tires pick up rocks and throws them at the trailer knocking the paint off.    Some of the issues that people have with their trailers can be prevented with the proper care.  They need to be washed and waxed just like automobiles.  They also need to be cleaned out after each use.  Also slow down on gravel roads and use mud flaps on trucks to prevent rock chips.  Steel trailers also need to be kept out of the weather when ever possible. 

Edited by lazyj70 2007-06-28 9:50 AM
micozzi
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2007-06-28 12:19 PM (#63030 - in reply to #59343)

Jamie at Valspar did not call me. But I have been in contact with Sean @Calico and we are currently trying to get something worked out.
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-06-28 12:41 PM (#63032 - in reply to #63030)

Expert

Originally written by micozzi on 2007-06-28 11:19 AM

Jamie at Valspar did not call me. But I have been in contact with Sean @Calico and we are currently trying to get something worked out.

Just to make things a bit more clear

Sean, VP at Calico = Lazyj70

Edited by hosspuller 2007-06-28 12:49 PM
lazyj70
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2007-08-02 11:46 AM (#64909 - in reply to #59343)

micozzi
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2007-08-02 1:25 PM (#64917 - in reply to #59343)

This matter between Calico and I has been resolved the trailer will be repainted. Thank you Sean at Calico

flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2007-08-02 2:45 PM (#64926 - in reply to #59343)

Expert

Congratulations to both of you, and good of you to update this on the forum.