trailer comparison
trailerldy
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2007-04-08 5:20 PM (#58826)
Subject: trailer comparison

I am looking at buying a new trailer,  I had an Exiss and loved it, chance to sell for right price and sold it now I am with out trailer and looking for a new one.  Could someone help me I want an all ALUMN trailer.  I am currently looking at Elite, Bloomer, Cherokee, & Twister.  Any pros or cons on these trailers?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
mseyle
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2007-04-09 7:59 AM (#58865 - in reply to #58826)
Subject: RE: trailer comparison

I also had an exiss and sold it and bought a Bison Stratus which is an all aluminum and we love it. Check out Dixie Horse & Mule those people know how to treat you right.
LTT
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2007-04-09 6:57 PM (#58926 - in reply to #58826)

Check out a Blue Ribbon Trailer.  You have two dealers in Missouri they both have units in stock for you to purchase.  You will find that these trailers are very good quality, loaded with standard features and reasonably priced.  See them on the web at http://www.blueribbontrailers.com/.

Parkland Enterprises, LLC
950 Woodlawn Dr.
Farmington, MO 63640
1-800-431-8854

PRO-LUBE-N-TUNE TRAILER SALES
3087 US HWY 60 NOTRH
BILLINGS, MO 65610
1-800 7451010

We appreciate your consideration of our product for your next trailer purchase.

Clint Leonard

Owner Blue Ribbon Trailers LTD.

Trailer guy
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2007-04-10 2:07 PM (#58995 - in reply to #58826)

Youare comparing a Mercedes to a Hundi
TRAILERMAN1957
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2007-04-10 2:50 PM (#58998 - in reply to #58995)

I THINK THEY ASKED ABOUT ELITES,BLOOMER,CHEROKEE,AND TWISTER AND HAVE YET TO HAVE A RESPONCE TO ANY OF THESE BRANDS, ONLY LESS QUALITY TRAILERS
HORSEBACK
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2007-04-10 5:00 PM (#59002 - in reply to #58826)

New User

YOU MAY WANT TO CHECK OUT THE SHADOW LINE OF TRAILERS
trailerldy
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2007-04-10 7:03 PM (#59012 - in reply to #58826)

Hey, trailer guy what is your trailer of choice? since you said I am comparing Mercedes to a Hundi...and trailerman1957 what is your trailer of choice?  Us girl's can't rely on just male opinion's...so if any cowgirl's have a preferance please let me know.  I need an all alumn 4horse with anywhere from a 8' - 12' shortwall with LQ or shell. 

Tx. Vaquero
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2007-04-10 7:05 PM (#59013 - in reply to #58826)

I've owned Elite and Bloomer, both about as good as you can get, and looked Craig Cameron's new Twister over pretty good, it is right there with them. I don't know anything about Cherokee. What specifically do you want to know?
trailerldy
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2007-04-10 7:42 PM (#59017 - in reply to #58826)

I was just wanting to get feed back on the quality of Elite, Bloomer, Cherokee, Twister....good or bad...pros and cons...
bobtaildog
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2007-04-10 9:15 PM (#59024 - in reply to #59017)

Regular

I custom ordered an Elite trailer two years ago and believe it is one of the finest built all aluminum trailers that I have owned....and I have owned others.

They make their doors and windows...compare the hinge assembly on an Elite to others. Look at the spacing on the floor trusses. And lastly, something that is not visible but a telling indication of the quality of the manufacturing process....every electrical connection in my trailer was a soldered and shrink wrapped connection....no crimps, no taps, etc......virtually impossible to have intermittent electrical issues when everything is soldered.

A really great group of folks that know how to build a quality trailer that will last a lifetime. I'd order another tomorrow if my needs were to change.

I looked at every major trailer manufacturer at the time and I have an engineering background.

cutter4life
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2007-04-11 10:12 AM (#59053 - in reply to #58826)

Regular

The Cherokee is a nice trailer that offers good value at an affordable price. I own one and I also own a Jamco. I don't think the Cherokee is in the same class as a 4 Star or Bloomer those two trailers are in a whole different class than the Cherokee in my opinion.

My Cherokee is a 2001 Invasion, I don't know if construction has changed, but I thought for the price it was a well built trailer with several options that would have been considered "extras" on similarly priced trailers (Exiss, Featherlite). Mine has held up well with almost daily use and several long hauls to Texas, Oklahoma, Oregon and Montana...no complaints. If you are looking for a value based trailer this is probably a good brand to consider.

If money is not so much of an option, I would probably go with the Bloomer over the Elite or 4-Star but all three are very nice trailers.

If you are considering buying used make sure you do a full inspection and if it looks good, have the owner take it to a service lot and have them do a thorough inspection to make sure it is in good shape. Also, you may consider in a used purchase if the warranty is transferrable and if so what it covers.

adrilittle
Reg. Oct 2006
Posted 2007-04-12 1:17 PM (#59133 - in reply to #58826)

Are you familiar with the SilverLite line? They are made in Oregon to travel and take the torque of mountain roads, structurally awsome, with a 10 year warranty on that structure. And in they have a fantastic "raised" roof line that gives a real wide open feel to your living quarters. I'd stack them up against the Bloomer, etc. anyday. You can see them at Double 4 Trailer Sales in Eureka, accross the highway from 6 Flags.
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2007-04-12 10:30 PM (#59183 - in reply to #59133)

Expert

Is Silverlite still in business? Or is it Silver Star that was having some  problems posted on here recently?
Buffy111_99
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2007-04-15 8:01 PM (#59345 - in reply to #59012)

Regular

Originally written by trailerldy on 2007-04-10 8:03 PM

Hey, trailer guy what is your trailer of choice? since you said I am comparing Mercedes to a Hundi...and trailerman1957 what is your trailer of choice?  Us girl's can't rely on just male opinion's...so if any cowgirl's have a preferance please let me know.  I need an all alumn 4horse with anywhere from a 8' - 12' shortwall with LQ or shell. 

This cowgirl loves Jamco!  Best trailer made!  Solid and worth the money.

GungKay
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2007-04-16 10:49 AM (#59390 - in reply to #58826)

YES SilverLite is still building GREAT trailers! I bought one last year from Midwest Trailer Sales in Wi....FANTASTIC product, people and service. Check them out! I know they'll be at the Midwest Horse Fair in Madison Wi the end of week!
I bought a Bandit model and my sister bought a Merhow from them...both of us are still very very happy with our choices!
lindylou
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2007-04-17 2:05 PM (#59461 - in reply to #58826)

New User

I am personally a big fan of Sooner trailers.  I have a 1993 4H GN with small DR and I love it.  We affectionally call it the "Star Ship Enterprise" because it is far from beautiful, but it is the best pulling trailer I have ever hooked to.  I have pulled it with 3/4 tons and duallys and both had no problems with stability, power, etc.  I bought this trailer used in 1999 (very used by someone who had shown Palominos and had led the nation in different events for several years) and this trailer had ALOT of miles on it.  I have not let grass grow under it since then, hauling from FL to VA, TN, LA and anywhere in between showing Arabs.  Anyone who pulls this trailer for me always comments on how well it tracks behind the truck and that you hardly know it is back there. 

With routine care, this trailer is very road worthy at this age in life and I plan to replace it one day with another Sooner.  I think they are worth looking into.

hav2ride
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-04-17 6:41 PM (#59486 - in reply to #59461)

Expert

A 93 Sooner was a good trailer. They have changed a bit since then.
lindylou
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2007-04-17 7:14 PM (#59490 - in reply to #58826)

New User

What trailers do you think are comparable to my trailer in a newer model? I am going to upgrade to a LQ in the next year or so. I would also be interested in opinions and experiences.

Thanks!
ggrimm01
Reg. Aug 2005
Posted 2007-04-17 10:01 PM (#59506 - in reply to #58826)

Regular

Ok, here is my $.02 worth.  I have owned several different brands of trailers.  By far the Bloomer is the high-end of trailers. Elite, C&C, Twister, and 4Star are great trailers for pricing,  You get high end quality at an affordable price.  Cherokee is another trailer that is good quality at a fair price. Overall I like the Elite, I have looked the Elites over from underneath, to the topsides of the trailers and Elite quality is one of the best.   The factory, stands behind their product, based on my point of view.  I am sure the other manufactures do the same.   As someone has stated in this forum look over the hinges, windows, mangers, electrical, lights, butt, bars, ramps etc to get a feel for the quality.   From this you will determine which brands of trailers you like.   Then you get into the fun part of negotiating.  Good luckā€¦..

whynningroyalblue
Reg. Jul 2007
Posted 2007-07-03 1:02 PM (#63243 - in reply to #59183)

New User

If Silverlite is still in business they shouldn't be. Within two years of takeing delivery my brand new trailer has almost tottaly fallen apart.  Because they leave the aluminum top unpainted my trailer is so hot my horses can't stand in them when traveling and the colts I haul have literally torn it apart.  I will never own another one.  I steer my clients away from them and the dealership that sold it to my husband
AbbyB
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2007-07-03 1:45 PM (#63245 - in reply to #63243)

Veteran

Originally written by whynningroyalblue on 2007-07-03 1:02 PM

If Silverlite is still in business they shouldn't be. Within two years of takeing delivery my brand new trailer has almost tottaly fallen apart.  Because they leave the aluminum top unpainted my trailer is so hot my horses can't stand in them when traveling and the colts I haul have literally torn it apart.  I will never own another one.  I steer my clients away from them and the dealership that sold it to my husband

wow, that's too bad.  I have a 2000 & it's been a great trailer - & Silverlite has been great to work with.  I would recommend them.  Have you taken it back to your dealer if you're having so many problems w/it?

Nitaoak
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2007-07-03 1:50 PM (#63246 - in reply to #58826)

Oh boy, I just order A Silverlite, I got the Circuit Deluxe Series hoping with it being lined and insulated that would help with the heat. Not good to hear that in two years that what ever your hauling rather it be colts or older horses, that's it is not holding up.

Terry 
dwnsouth
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2007-07-03 2:37 PM (#63249 - in reply to #58826)

Regular

Just bought a C&C a year ago and love it. Had 4 Star before and it was also a very nice trailer. Bought 4 Star used so dont know, but my C&C I was able to customize every inch because they build to buyers specs. It was also a nice price considering all the things I put on it(reverse horse area-they face curb, drop windows front and butt, side tack door on rear tack with expanded space, telescoping slant dividers with stud partition to floor, rear ramp, escape door with drop window, additional living quarters footage with carpet throughout and extra widndow, carpet throughout enclosed tack with swing blanket bar, extra hooks, extra storage bins and swingout saddle rack, extra width and extra height. I paid right around $25,000. The only metal is the axles. Looks just like my 4 Star I had.
cowgirl98034
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2007-07-04 12:41 AM (#63263 - in reply to #63249)

Extreme Veteran

Nobody has mentioned Sundowner... isn't that a great quality trailer? My friend has one and my horse loves to ride in it. Or how about Featherlight? I see lots of those trailers around and they seem to be very well built.

By the way, I recently looked at 4 different Silverlites and I did not like the window assembly. There was a used trailer there that had every window grill bent inward, which created a very very sharp edge at the bottom center of every window, right where your horses mouth would be. There is a seam in the center of each aluminum window grill frame that if pulled inward, will seperate and become quite dangerous for your horse, in my opinion. If I bought a Silverlite, I'd have that seam welded.

walkin
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2007-07-04 5:05 AM (#63266 - in reply to #58826)

Elite Veteran

To your first qu

stion.  Elite makes a good trailer.  My friendhas had 2 and they do endurance riding, so they use it.

I prefer Eby.

Poppa Cracker
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2007-07-04 5:25 PM (#63289 - in reply to #58826)

4 Star, Platinum Coach, Featherlite, Sooner,Bloomer, C&C, Sundowner, Elite, and several more are all quality trailers with good performance records. Some of these manfacturers have actually worked for each other in past years and then went out on their own. Most have been in the horse industry for many years. However Silverlite is manfg. on a travel trailer design. The living quarters are built separate from the rest of the trailer. They just don't hold up to the abuse of hauling horses. I have 2 friends that bought them and have since gotten rid of them. They do not have good resale value, 1 friend took a bath on his trade and the other elected to leave it with the dealer to sell on consignment. His trailer set for over a year. Too many quality trailer manf. out there to take a chance on something that you could get stuck with.
Nitaoak
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2007-07-04 6:18 PM (#63291 - in reply to #58826)

Well I think I will see if they will let me cancel my order, I order it a week ago, I don't want to have to eat it, I just don't have that kind of money. 
CNJ-QHORSES
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2007-07-04 11:35 PM (#63311 - in reply to #58826)

We have had Exiss and Cherokee trailers, as well as several steel trailers over the years. We are getting our second Cherokee and just really like the trailer. It is a good trailer for a fair price, it certainly fit our pocketbook and our horses are comfortable being hauled in it. Of course your Bloomer trailers and Elite are great trailers too, but at a higher price. I guess you have to look at what you want for you and your horses and then how much can you afford and then take it from there.