New to the horse world, need a truck and trailer!
Janelle12
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2007-04-02 11:10 AM (#58288)
Subject: New to the horse world, need a truck and trailer!

Hello all, I am new here and have purchased a horse (I'm 30; I had a horse when I was a kid/teenager but it's way different now than when the parents did all the work!).

My husband drives our '06 Scion (Toyota) XB, can I pull a trailer with that?

Ha, just kidding.

We also have a 98 Nissan Maxima with a trailer hitch, I'm guessing that won't work either, so we are in the market for a truck. And trailer.

I have an 850 lb. arabian and talking to my friends who have horses, they seem to think that a 2 horse aluminum gooseneck sounds good. I like the stock trailers as they are more open and airy. I'd like to fit and haul my sister's 15.2 hand thoroughbred too, but it's not a priority if it's going to end up costing me more money to invest in a more expensive truck and trailer.

I don't know how much a trailer like that would weigh or what size truck I'd need. Im doing some reading here on the site and some of the technical/mechanical jargon is over my head. Unfortunately my husband the mechanic is not likely to register and read the info on this site so I am doing the research on my own.

We are willing to trade in the Scion for a used truck which will pull adequately. I say used because we can't afford to go with a new truck as it will be much more than what we can afford. If you folks could give me an idea what to look for in the used truck arena, and any general (or specific) recommendations on trailer brand or type, that would be supremely helpful. Thanks so much!

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
tumce
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2007-04-02 11:43 AM (#58292 - in reply to #58288)
Subject: RE: New to the horse world, need a truck and trailer!

Congratulations on your new Horse!!  As I am sure you know, there are allot of choices out there!!  In my opinion, the first question that you need to ask youself is, how often/ how many miles do you plan to use your trailer?  I believe that this helps narrow down a search.  Just like the automobile industry, there are trailers that are built better than others.  All of the trailers that are made will do the job, but depending upon how you use your trailer will dictate what brand you should look at first.  For example, I relate the Featherlites, Exiss, Kieferbuilts etc.. to that of the Fords, Chevrolets, and Chryslers.  They are all built similar, but also different from each other.  Then there are the BMW's, Mercedes, and Lexus.  I relate them to Stidham, Hart, Elite, 4-Star, Bloomer etc..  In my opinion, the better built trailers will hold up in the long run better, and will be able to take the rigors of allot of miles.  It really depends upon like I said how often you use the trailer, and how much you want to spend!  I do agree with your friend a gooseneck is better for resale purposes than a bumperpull, not to mention that normally there is only about $1,500-$2,000.00 difference in price from a bumperpull to a gooseneck (pricing new trailer to new trailer of same brand)!  If you do decide to go with a two horse trailer, you could get buy with a Heavy Duty 3/4 Ton truck with out a problem.  If you go bigger on the trailer, or plan to go bigger on the trailer in the future go ahead and get a bigger truck!!

Edited by tumce 2007-04-02 11:46 AM
Janelle12
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2007-04-02 1:06 PM (#58301 - in reply to #58288)

I just need to haul maybe once a month around town, and to the occasional endurance ride, not more than 3 or 4 hours away, and only twice a year for going that far. I was reading on the articles on this site that occasional hauling, you can do fine with a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton LD. I guess I need to jot down some of the lesser expensive brand trailers (i.e., not luxury with dressing rooms, living quarters etc.) and surf their sites to see which kinds I want...

Oh, I was also interested in the pros and cons of aluminum and steel, if anyone can chime in there, I'd like to know rather than just go with aluminum because 'my friend said so.' Thanks.
bjhouten
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2007-04-02 1:17 PM (#58304 - in reply to #58288)

Extreme Veteran

If you can afford to do it, I'd suggest you keep your Scion, and get a good used truck. The gas/diesel bill will be a shock after driving the Scion. I have a Chevy 3500 duramax, but drive a Prius to & from work and around town. What I save in diesel each month covers my car payment and then some.

-Betty

Janelle12
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2007-04-02 1:43 PM (#58306 - in reply to #58288)

WOWEE, I am amazed at all the different kind of trailers out there and frustrated that I can't seem to find any that look like what I'm looking for. Its too bad you can't just do a search for exactly what you want and get some results. It doesn't help I am starting FROM SCRATCH (in the knowledge department) There are many abbreviations and options I am not familiar with. Plus, all the goosenecks I look at look like they have built in dressing rooms. Is that standard? Just a useful thing to do with the extra space? Can't you get a simple two horse gooseneck stock trailer with no frills? Realistically, my price range is around $4000. I don't even know if this is realistic. I could use a reality check. 47
equiteacher
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2007-04-02 2:02 PM (#58310 - in reply to #58288)

Regular

There are many very good used trailers that will fit your budget. Who helped you purchased this first (in this life-stage) horse? Ask them or their significant other for help/advice. For what you say you want to do, a 16 ft BP stock trailer behind a V-8 1/2 ton will get your job done. Goosenecks are nice, but IMHO don't think they are what you need right now. If I were your stable buddy, I would be trying to get you to find a good, used 2-horse BP side-by-side.

Totally agree with bjhouton about used PU and keeping the Scion. I sure get funny looks getting in/out of my old Nissan Sentra wearing cowboy hat and boots, but hey it's 35 MPG versus 12 - 15 in my hauling PU, and both are paid for. Only downside for me is insurance on the second vehicle.

Check over this site for used trailers and there are literally hundreds for sale here in Texas.

Good hunting

Janelle12
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2007-04-02 2:14 PM (#58311 - in reply to #58288)

Thanks. The maxima is paid off and we can't really afford to add to our monthly expenses. So probably would just trade in the scion for a used truck. I don't think I could get enough selling the maxima to buy a big enough truck. And the maxima gets 400 miles to the tank, so my husband could drive that to work (I work from home so the truck would stay home with me!) and not hurt us too much on gas.

I may just stick with a bumper pull stock. I dont like the front facing trailers (not the best position for a horse to ride; slanted or rear facing makes it much easier for the animal to balance) and my horse already doesn't like enclosed spaces. I can coax her into my friend's stock trailer without too much trouble, but I have serious doubts about getting her into a front facing two horse with divider!

I looked on craigslist and there seem to be a few here and there that meet my simple criteria, and when I'm ready to buy I will check here too.

Now, off I go to look to see if there are any trucks in our price range... :)
Janelle12
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2007-04-02 2:19 PM (#58312 - in reply to #58288)

Ok I found one, its a Dodge V8, in my price range. Would this work?

http://www.classictoyota.com/ContentFrame.aspx?Url=http%3a%2f%2fwww...

wait, that link doesnt show the truck. well here are its specs:
Year: 2001
Make: Dodge Truck
Model: 1500 Pickup
Body: Quad Cab Short Bed
Exterior Color: Red
Interior Color: Black
Mileage: 69,500
Engine: V8 5.9 Liter
Transmission: Automatic
DriveTrain: 4WD
Stock: TU240302
VIN: 3B7HF13ZX1G240302

Edited by Janelle12 2007-04-02 2:21 PM
Janelle12
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2007-04-02 2:26 PM (#58313 - in reply to #58288)

Or maybe this:

2004 Ford Truck
F150
Super Cab 5 1/2'

Stock#:TU31721
Engine: V8 4.6 Liter
Mileage: 28,935
Color: Blue

or this?:
2001 Chevrolet Truck
Suburban
1500 Sport Utility

Stock#:TU159082
Engine: V8 5.3 Liter
Mileage: 69,089
Color: White

How do you tell what a truck's tonnage and duty (light or heavy) is?

Edited by Janelle12 2007-04-02 2:28 PM
barstow
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-04-02 2:44 PM (#58315 - in reply to #58288)

Veteran

barstow
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-04-02 3:00 PM (#58316 - in reply to #58288)

Veteran

Sorry, hit the enter before I typed my response! Anyway, I am no expert, but do have a few thoughts. I haul like you do, a couple of horses, not too far maybe once a month. If you are going with a gooseneck you won't be able to tow with a suburban, it's an SUV, you'll need a pick up for a gooseneck. Some will say you shouldn't tow with an SUV. I am told that as long as the wheelbase is long enough, you're ok. But again, you'd have to have a bumperpull with an SUV. I decided to go with a bumperpull because I didn't want the added expense of installing the 5th wheel hitch in my truck. If you do decide on a bumper pull trailer, make sure the truck you buy has a factory installed trailer hitch and is rated to pull whatever you're going to haul. For instance, my all steel bumper pull weighs 3500# and my horses are 1000# each. So my gross vehicle weight will be 5500. My Silverado is rated to haul #6500 so I am within the range. There is more to consider than just the hitch, you need a heavy-duty suspension and shocks, and the correct gear ratio. Any truck that was set up at the factory for hauling is your best bet. Again, this is all for a bumperpull. I don't know how this stuff applies to a gooseneck. As for the engine, go for the V8 with at least that 5.3L (ford) or the equivelant in the GM. If you can afford it go with an F250 or the 2500 in the GM. You'll appreciate the added power on the hills! My Silverado does ok, but if I could have afforded to, I would have gone up a notch. Hope this doesn't confuse you. These are just a few of the things I learned while doing my truck/trailer search.
equiteacher
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2007-04-02 3:24 PM (#58318 - in reply to #58288)

Regular

I may just stick with a bumper pull stock. I dont like the front facing trailers (not the best position for a horse to ride; slanted or rear facing makes it much easier for the animal to balance)

Boy, have you addressed a can of worms. This subject has been argued ad infinitum on this site.

Re: truck - 3/4 tons are great but a full-size half ton will do what you want. Someone mentioned factory towing package - great for the BP hitch but it will have a lower ratio rear end for better power, ergo, worse MPG. Because I likewise pull just once a month, I sacrificed power for everyday fuel economy - just have to take it a little easier on start-ups and hills.

The Suburban will pull your two horses. Just decide if you want the open bed for utility or the closed up Suburban. Both have their advantages.

Stay above 5.5 Liters for you engine. Automatic trans will work. Be sure and get brakes on the trailer and controller on the tow vehicle.

Janelle12
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2007-04-02 4:26 PM (#58320 - in reply to #58288)

Thanks, that advice does help.

We won't go there, then, in this thread about which way the horses are facing. I can do a search and read the arguments if they've been made in other threads. :)

I may just end up going with a simple bumper pull for my light use of the trailer, then. I prefer a truck but I'm open to the idea of a suburban at th is point.....I guess.
greyhorse
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2007-04-02 4:38 PM (#58321 - in reply to #58288)

Extreme Veteran

Might look at Chapperal (not sure of that spelling) trailers, you can get a new steel one for around $3,000, 2H slant. Not the best trailer in the world but for the price and how much you plan to use it it'll work well. We have one that is now just used for short trips. Also very light so you don't need a huge truck to pull it, half ton will work.

Hope to see you at some endurance rides this year!
Janelle12
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2007-04-02 5:07 PM (#58324 - in reply to #58288)

Hi greyhorse! Will check out the chapparal trailers.

Do you have a gray horse or is it just your handle here on the forums? My mare is gray herself. I'd love to pick your brains about endurance riding, I am new to the sport. I really wont be up for competing until this winter as I am having a baby in August. There's a ride Nov 10 and 11th near DFW, I can't get the aerc calendar to work right now for specifics. Will you be going to that one? What part of TX are you in? You can pm me if you want.

Talk about ripping off my own thread...

Oh, and I did a search to find some arguments against reverse load trailers/horses facing backwards with no luck. can anyone give me the cliff's notes version of the cons?
barstow
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-04-02 8:31 PM (#58340 - in reply to #58288)

Veteran

I recently read an article on a the straight vs slant load issue and now of course I can't find it. A couple of points stood out to me, however. I will try to repeat them here, but they will probably lose a lot in the translation -perhaps someone knows where to find that article...

First, the writer mentioned the fact that in nature, when a horse stops, he brings his hind end up underneath. So, why not imitate nature and allow the horse to stop in a natural position while in a trailer. (straight load style)

He also said that for really long hauls a straight load is better. In a slant load, the horse has to use his back left, front right a lot to keep his balance and they can tire out easier.

He said that given the option in an open box, the horse will stand at an angle. But consider this, given the opportunity in his stall, a horse generally stands at an angle as well - they simply don't like to stand up straight against a wall. This is why many people say, given the choice, the horse perfers to ride in a slant position.

Bottom line, he said it doesn't really matter, it is what suits you and your horse best. Some horses load fine into a straight, but don't unload well, They prefer to turn and unload front-end first. I made that mistake once, when I picked up a horse for a friend in a two-horse straight load. He was ranch broke and had only traveled in a stock. He loaded fine, but when it came time to unload he wanted no part of backing off. (He eventually came up through the front of the walk through and walked out the other side. Fortunately he was small and flexible. I was totally amazed!)

With a stock trailer a horse can simply turn and walk off rather than backing off.

Now, with all that said, you mentioned your mare dislikes closed spaces. So you may want to consider a four-horse stock, with just a middle gate. So that it makes into two box stalls. That way your horses can travel standing whichever way they want to! I will keep looking for that article for you!

equiteacher
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2007-04-03 9:47 AM (#58389 - in reply to #58288)

Regular

Search on this site for "slant load." Probably 20 threads.
Janelle12
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2007-04-03 2:11 PM (#58400 - in reply to #58389)

Ok I typed in everything EXCEPT slant load.

on this comment:"First, the writer mentioned the fact that in nature, when a horse stops, he brings his hind end up underneath. So, why not imitate nature and allow the horse to stop in a natural position while in a trailer. (straight load style)"
my response is:
I'd say that the situation of the trailer ( which functions as the horse's ground while he's riding in it) stopping would create a whole different circumstance than the horse moving in a pasture/arena and then coming to a stop. Of course a different set of muscles/physics would be in play so to me that statement doesn't make sense (the situation of the ground stopping underneath the horse versus the horse stopping on the ground; in one, the horse causes the motion of himself, in the other, the 'ground' causes the motion in the horse). (I know you didn't write it, you are only relaying what the article says.)

On the horse riding slanted and his front fore and rear off leg becoming tired (or whichever legs it quotes in the article), wouldnt a horse riding straight's legs become fatigued in much the same manner, even if it's a different combination of his legs? (just playing the devil's advocate here...)

Maybe I should just ask my dad, he's a veterinarian...
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2007-04-03 2:39 PM (#58402 - in reply to #58288)

Expert

Your first smart move was to get an arabian! Anyway, don't get caught up how a horse stands in the trailer is best mess. Gets you no where fast. ( BTW most gooseneck trailers DON'T have a 5th wheel hitch...thats a horse of a different color. You'd want a GN hitch)There are pros/cons to everything. The pro to a BP- they are less expensive and can be pulled with a suburban type truck. On the downside- they aren't as stable to pull VS a GN. If you're even casually hauling, a real truck will give you additional cargo space ( hay,straw,gear etc) than a 'burb- most people don't want to pile in stuff like hay or straw/shavings. A GN stock trailer would less expensive than a horse type trailer, give you stability down the road, light and airy for the horse plus space in the Gn itself. You'll learn FAST space for stuff is very important.IMO- I'd buy a 3/4 truck at least, a GN stock ( steel or aluminum or a mix). Give you plenty of truck and space plus a nice ride for you and your horse.