help...
lizheath
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2007-03-31 10:28 PM (#58184)
Subject: help...

New User

I have a new horse. i am finding out he is in a huge hurry to get out of the trailer when I go to take him out. How do I stop him from rushing and backing without making him fear the trailer?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2007-03-31 10:36 PM (#58186 - in reply to #58184)
Subject: RE: help...

Expert

A lot of trainer have writen books and made video about this problem some trainers are Clint Anderson-john lydens- ect I thing this will help you
olabola!
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-03-31 11:24 PM (#58191 - in reply to #58184)

is this a straight load or slant load trailer you are trying to deal with? if it's a slant load, what i would suggest is turning the horse before he tries to back out. Make him stand facing out until he is calm. Then, praise and pat him and let him step out.  Repeat this until he stops trying to backout immediately.  Once he stops trying to immediately back, make him stand about 5 seconds before turning him to face out.  Slowly increase the amount of time he stands before you turn him around (this makes him think about what you're going to ask him to do). Once he stands calmly waiting for you to tell him what to do, then you can choose whether to back him out or turn him. Good Luck!
lizheath
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2007-03-31 11:42 PM (#58193 - in reply to #58184)

New User

Thanks- It has actuallybeenboth styles toTrailer,Slant was the most recent problem.But I also have a bp that I have difficulty even getting him to step up so I can get the chain and even door open.
Its all about horses
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-04-01 12:51 AM (#58203 - in reply to #58184)

When you get to your destination give him a few minutes in the trailer to relax. If you can open a window and allow him to look out do that. If he cant look out stand near him and talk to him. Even your stock trailers allow you to look in. When he is relaxed take your time with the unloading. I like to stay away from treats but in a trailing case I will use something to help the horse relax and think about me. Something may have happened in the past to scare him or maybe it was bad driving at some time. Let him build confidence in you that way when he is nervous he will look to you for support.

I have a mare that was brought to me in a small 4horse stock trailer that she just barely fit in lengthwise. The guy who unloaded her told me that she unloaded fast. He proceeded to get in the trailer smack her on the face, wave his arms, and yell at her. I have never seen a horse go backward so fast. It took me about 3 mounths to mellow her in the trailer but she will now stand quietly entail I tell her to unload.

acy
Reg. Oct 2006
Posted 2007-04-01 7:10 AM (#58215 - in reply to #58184)

Extreme Veteran

years ago I had a horse who'd do the same thing.. not knowing any better and also not having much patience to work w/ him on this problem I'd just open the back door and let him fly out.  couldnt even use the butt bar cause he'd lean on it so hard I couldn't release it anyway.  I sold him and never even thought to tell the new owners about that and he nearly hung  himself trying to back out of their trailer.  I felt horrible...  

Got a 3 yr. old this past summer who had some issues.. very fearful in the trailer, getting in and getting out..  would panic once he was in, then try to fly out... we spent MONTHS working on this.  for a while I'd get him to put 2 front feet in, then back him out slowly.   but this kinda backfired cause for a while after that that was all he'd do.  he saw no reason to actually get all 4 feet in the trailer.   we worked thru it but it took a long time and LOTS of patience. 

I did read an article once about a mare who would  back out real fast and the owner backed the trailer up to the end of a dock and when he opened the door the horse ended up in the water.  don't know that I'd have the nerve to do that or if it would work but apparently it worked on that horse.

good luck! 

minebray
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2007-04-01 7:34 AM (#58217 - in reply to #58184)

When you get where you are going let the horse stay in the trailer a little bit.  Throw a little bit of hay or grain in front of her to make the trailer a nice place to be.  Perhaps she will not be so fast to leave if there is a reason to stay.  Good Luck
Jbsny
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2007-04-01 8:27 AM (#58222 - in reply to #58184)

Extreme Veteran

When I get to my destination, I open the access door so my horse can look out. I can open my rear door on the other side he is loaded on (it is a straight load with rear dooors) and then I wait until he calms down. As long as he is backing up showing his disapproval of being in the trailer, he gets time staying on it. If he still busts off, he gets to reload and start the process all over. You have to have a lot of time sometimes waiting on them to calm down. It's worth it though.

This helps immensely. I agree the John Lyons loading lesson works, too.

Jbsny
lizheath
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2007-04-01 9:00 PM (#58256 - in reply to #58184)

New User

Thank you for all the help.
Acy-that was a funny/unique method you read about...

I think the consensus is saying to leave him in until he settles down. I didn't do that tonightand this time he broke my trailer tie and nearly my arm. I was dark out and I was tired,and just wanted to get him out and be done...I guess I know what I'll be working on tomorrow! Take care all- and Thank you-liz