Just Want To Share Our New Trailer
PTRJason
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2007-03-24 1:48 AM (#57660)
Subject: Just Want To Share Our New Trailer

Hey all

New to the site, and want to share my girlfriend's and I new trailer.  We bought a 2006 Miley 2H SL we found on the side of the road for 4900.00.  It had only been used a handful of times and still smells new.  We are moving to Lampe, MO (on Table Rock Lake), near Branson, MO, from Southern California in April.  We will be carrying a three year old Arabian with us. 

I like LED lights so I updated all the lights on the trailer to new LED S/T/T and also a LED S/T/T/DOT bar on the rear.  The DOT bar functions as the three DOT running lights for the rear, but when brake lights are activated, the whole bar lights up, acting as a third hi-mount brake light.  As when a left or right turn signal is on, that side of the bar flashes.  I wanted to install that incase of tail-gaters, people behind the car behind me can see if my brake lights or turn signal is on, instead of who ever is behind me blocking my intentions. I plan on adding reverse lights as well as load lights to the rear, which will function as reverse lights when shifted in reverse, but also hooked up to the hot feed from the interior lights on a switch so the can function as load lights.

The rear S/T/T are clear LED lights, all the amber and red marker lights have been switched to clear with colored LEDs and the Amber/Red marker light has been switched to LED but with colored lens as I can not find a clear lensed one.  I plan on adding two more S/T/T LED lights lower on the side of the trailer, just need to drill and mount.

Here are some photos:

LED Lights on the LEFT, Sealed Beam on the RIGHT:

Both sides installed, running lights on:

Brake lights and marker lights on:

Running lights, with DOT/STT bar installed - we kept the two marker lights on the side of the bar installed, it fit perfect in-between and I did not want to mess with covering holes from the removes lights:

Brake Lights with DOT/STT and LED STT:

LEFT Turn signal on with DOT/STT Bar activated:

I still need to install another set of STT turn lights lower on the trailer, as well as reverse lights.

For reverse lights I may just go with a flood type light that will double as a moveable load light.  As well as Oval grommet type seal beam lights that will mount on the sides, the one in the photo below will mount to the to top area.

Edited by PTRJason 2007-04-23 10:15 AM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jasondt2001
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2007-03-30 1:45 PM (#58100 - in reply to #57660)
Subject: RE: Just Want To Share Our New Trailer

Man that thing is sharp! nice touch w/ the LEDS!!
PTRJason
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2007-03-30 11:25 PM (#58136 - in reply to #57660)

Thanks, I was able to get all the clear LED marker light put on, now I just have to work on putting on the oval reverse lights and load lights, and hook them to a three way switch, so they can be used as reverse lights, but also load/work lights with the flip of a switch. And also need to cut and install the other set of LED S/T/T lights.

Overall I can leave it as it is, it looks pretty sweet, however down the line, I want to order the clear version of the DOT bar so it matches the rest of the lights. It is the only thing that stand out now. But it works so it can wait. I just have to figure out if my trailer has any wiring for reverse lights.

***Mr. Truck*** I read in another post that you work for Universal Trailer... When I bought the Miley, it did not come with a manual or anything. I am getting the trailer ready for the cross country trip in the middle of April. Does Miley have a Users Manual or anything. I want to know if the hubs need to be greesed or anything, and any other user end maintance.
MarkM
Reg. Aug 2005
Posted 2007-03-31 11:00 AM (#58151 - in reply to #57660)

Congrats PTRJason, looks good. LED make a hell of a difference!

Mark M

SLICKRNSNOT
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2007-03-31 11:50 PM (#58194 - in reply to #57660)

Elite Veteran

Nice, ya never know what you will finf by the side of the road! good trailerin!!
SLICKRNSNOT
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2007-03-31 11:51 PM (#58195 - in reply to #57660)

Elite Veteran

Nice, ya never know what you will find by the side of the road! good trailerin!!
PTRJason
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2007-03-31 11:59 PM (#58198 - in reply to #57660)

Anyone know where to get spare tires?  Ours did not come with one, and before I take the long trip, I want to have a spare.  I think I will get one and a rim when I am at the local tire place when I have all new tires and the tune up done on my truck.

How much to spares, rim and tire, usually go for?

PTRJason
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2007-04-20 11:31 PM (#59720 - in reply to #57660)

Hey all, I made the trip to Missouri. LONG DRIVE with a horse trailer, I took it nice and slow, even 18 wheelers were passing me. On the final leg I was a little more comfortable was kept up with the big trucks. I like the new LEDs I put on, at one point my Fiance got two, not one but TWO flat tires, even before 350 miles into the trip. Got one in Victorville, CA, and she got another, different tire 20 miles out side of Kingman. Since we used the spare, I had to call a tow.

This happened about 3 in the morning and she drives a Grand Marque, looks like a cop car. So at one point she was in my truck listening to the CB, and I was with the tow driver, one passing simi driver said that a Polar Bear (white cop car) was being towed. Another said it was a regualr car, but the driver who said it was a bear sad that she could not see anything past the trailer lights becasue they were so bright, just the look I was going for 12 53 Other than that it was a easy drive except for snow in NM.

At least the long drive back from MO was easy, and I was empty and not towing anything. I love MO and can not wait to move my stuff out there in May. It's so green and nice, not like smoggy CA. I drove from 8pm CST Wed to 11pm PST Thurs. Straight through, it was a LONG drive.

Edited by PTRJason 2007-04-20 11:34 PM
barstow
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-04-22 6:37 AM (#59748 - in reply to #57660)

Veteran

About how much did it cost you for the lighting upgrade? Assumed you did it yourself...
PTRJason
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2007-04-22 11:53 PM (#59771 - in reply to #57660)

I bought everything off of ebay. I would say about maybe 250 bucks total give or take. I did everything myself.

28 Dollars for DOT/S/T/T bar
80 Dollars for 2 pairs (4 lights) of LED S/T/T Oval lights, and two sealed oval back-up lights. I bought from the same person so both were combined. Back-Up lights yet to be installed, as well as the other STT.
30 For the driving lights
50 Dollars give or take for the marker lights, http://partssystems.com/shop/productdetail.html?product_id=MX-M2035... in two amber for the front and 4 red for the rear.
15 or so for the Amber/Red LED marker light, not made with clear lens, so had to go with colored for the fenders
3 bucks for clear silicone, and the gun to use the silicone tube.
6 bucks for some drill bits with a grinder type on the side.
15 bucks for wiring and conduits to hide the wires.
20 bucks for a kit for wiring, I already have 3 but wanted a new one anyway, never know what I already used out of the other :D The kit is something you can get anywhere, has crimpers, zip-ties, needle nose, connectors, splicers, testers, shielded magnetic screwdrivers, pretty much everything.

I also added some driving lights, sleek flat looking lights I got from PepBoys, to the rear, but have not put photos on yet. I tapped into the wiring for the interior lights in the horse area of the trailer, then added a toggle switch in the top of the frame rail near the roof to power the lights. It is in a spot so it was be reached, with a little of a reach no pun intended, if the rear door or side windows are removed so you do not have to unlock the door. They did come in handy when he had to unload the horse when we got to our new home at 3 in the morning.

Look Kinda like these but with a clear lens
http://www.slickcar.com/bigshot.asp?ProductID=244

-I bought a set of the LED S/T/T Lights that included 4, I only used two to replace the oval sealed lights on the trailer, with plans to add the other two in the future, just did not get around to it before the move. I did not want to start anything major, like cutting into the frame, so close to the move, then have something go wrong or take longer and have to half arse it so I can use the trailer. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=018&ssp...

-Bought a nice looking combination bar, looked dim when I first put it on, but man it is bright, it supprised me!!! My trailer already had three DOT lights on the rear in the center, I planned on removing them and putting this over them, but they were mounted wider than I thought. I did not want to have fill or cover holes, and found that the bar fits perfect between two of them if I took off the center one. I had to re-drill a hole wider to make the bar fit even and in the hole for its plastic grommet for wiring. Drilled two more holes for screws to mount and then I ran clear silicone over the top of the bar, as well as in the screw holes, to prevent any water from running into the frame.

It is red, and all my other lights I bought were clear. I forgot about getting the clear one, until AFTER I ordered it. I plan on getting a clear one down the road if this one ever fails or breaks, gets broken etc. Right now it works fine. But it does bug me it stands out :p
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=015&ssp...

-Bought LED marker lights to replace all of the lights.

It was fun to do everything myself and pretty much took about two days total. But that is the combined time of about 4 weekends. I get side tracked easy, and like to start somthing, then venture off to another section of wiring or lights and do that, then start something else. I think of stuff as I am working, so I start it before I forget, that way I know what to do when I come back to it :)

MrTruck
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-04-23 2:28 AM (#59773 - in reply to #57660)

Elite Veteran

I think you are looking for MrTrailer, he works for Universal Trailers. I work for the government. Are taxes due in May now with the new daylight savings time? I love LED. You might try making the pictures a little smaller, this size stretches the page sidewaze a waze. Good job with the lights.