Horse Abandonment-has it started in your area?
Longrider
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2007-03-18 8:27 PM (#57274)
Subject: Horse Abandonment-has it started in your area?

Extreme Veteran

We rode at our usual place yesterday and today and came upon two horses who apparently were abandoned on the LBJ National Grasslands. One an old Appy with a glass eye and the other was a QH type filly about 2 yrs old. The Appy was about a grade 3 lame on the left front. They both followed us on our horses for quite a while until we came to a section gate and we didn't let them cross into the other section to be lost even more. This was on one of the trails that is seldomly used. It breaks your heart to see them abandoned and they wanted attention so badly. But we have 8 of our own to feed and take care of. So, we called the Ranger to report the incident. Don't know what the outcome will be but do know that the Forest Service will not allow them to become feral. So it is happening now that the slaughter houses have closed just as predicted by people on this forum.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
IcePonyGoddess
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2007-03-18 8:41 PM (#57275 - in reply to #57274)
Subject: RE: Horse Abandonment-has it started in your area?

Elite Veteran

Originally written by Longrider on 2007-03-18 8:27 PM
We rode at our usual place yesterday and today and came upon two horses who apparently were abandoned on the LBJ National Grasslands. One an old Appy with a glass eye and the other was a QH type filly about 2 yrs old.

Are you sure they were abandoned and not lost/missing?
Longrider
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2007-03-18 8:49 PM (#57276 - in reply to #57274)

Extreme Veteran

It was in a remote area where there are no other property owners adjacent and no campgrounds in the area. It is totally isolated on the interior by federal land. All gates were secured on the section. The section has one horse gate on the public road. All fences appeared to be in good condition. Hopefully, they are lost and the rightful owners will claim them when the Forest Service starts investigating. But I doubt seriously that they will be claimed as lost/strayed by anyone.
Spooler
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2007-03-18 10:30 PM (#57283 - in reply to #57274)

Extreme Veteran

Sad,Sad,Sad....   Sometimes things look great on paper but in reality they are not so great of an idea. Breaks my heart and makes me mad as all at the people that let them go.  Can't take care of all of them but some people think they can so let them pay for it. Not me.

HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2007-03-19 5:34 AM (#57291 - in reply to #57274)

Expert

You'll be paying for it with increased taxes, I'm affraid just more of this stuff to come with the idiotic slaughter laws.
Charmer88
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-03-19 8:54 AM (#57300 - in reply to #57274)

Veteran

I have not seen or heard of any abandonment in my area. I have read that some of this is BS and some of what has been said about slaughter effecting the average horses owner is BS also. First I've never expected to slaughter or abandon any of my horses. I've always felt that if worst come to worst they are put down and I PAY the price to take care the whole process. I don't have any friends that would abandon or slaughter so you have to look at the people who would turn them loose before selling or finding a rescue to help in some way or just giving them away. There are always people looking for a free horse. If you can't afford to take care of it there are options and maybe they shouldn't have one to begin with. The best option I see is that Joe breeding the ole gray mare to the pony down the road needs to stop. Needed to stop a long time ago.

Let's go Gaitin'!

Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2007-03-19 9:39 AM (#57302 - in reply to #57300)

Expert

I don't have any friends that would abandon or slaughter so you have to look at the people who would turn them loose before selling or finding a rescue to help in some way or just giving them away. There are always people looking for a free horse.

When I was a kid someone turned 14 starving horses loose on the highway in front of my grandpas ranch.  I guess they figured it was ranching country, someone would take them in.  The sheriffs dpt just took them to the auction were the slaughter guy bought them for $50 each.

The problem with sellling is it takes time, especially if the horse isn't 100% and if you actually look at some of the rescues they charge to take the horse (I looked at one and they wanted $400) and some want you to pay a fee to help care for it until its adopted. 

Spooler
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2007-03-19 10:24 AM (#57305 - in reply to #57274)

Extreme Veteran

Some of you people don't get it.  If the only way someone can get a horse is to get a free one then they don't need one at all!!!!!!!!! If you can't afford to buy it then you darn sure can't afford to keep it. Just my .02.

Edited by Spooler 2007-03-19 10:26 AM
siseley
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2007-03-19 2:14 PM (#57314 - in reply to #57274)

Extreme Veteran

Spooler;

You make a good point. If one cannot afford to have a large animal, and a way to provide for it, they should go talk to someone who needs to have their horses exercised, and get some training in HOW to ride, and be both secure in their seat, and balanced. So often someone is given a horse, and does not know how to properly ride, or how to handle an animal as large as a horse if something goes wrong. ( God Forbid some one gets hurt) I for one, would love to have a young person come and ride my horses, and I would also give them free training.

Charmer88
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-03-19 3:06 PM (#57320 - in reply to #57274)

Veteran

I hope you didn't miss that I said some shouldn't own a horse.

In our circle, extended circles we do find homes for special ed and special needs horses..some free, some not. Being that I've worked with training horses I've seen plenty of people who shouldn't own an animal. They would never believe they were abusive or didn't have a clue.
Probably why I don't do as much with selling or training anymore.

I've seen first hand a less fortunet person work do everything possible to learn more about a horse, it's training and do all the dirty work she had to do not ever knowing if she would get a horse. She finally got one. He was free and every bit of her heart and soul goes into him and taking care of him so it's not money that makes some peoples character.

If you own it, take care of it. It's part of the expense. I feel the same way about dogs and cats that people think are disposable.

Since the zoos are switching to beef, they say healthier, dog food has gotten away from using horses, glue is synthetic, and the number of horses being processed was going down maybe it's just political strategy.

Let's Go Gaitin!
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-03-19 3:08 PM (#57322 - in reply to #57274)

Expert

I hate when non-horse people make rules/laws about horses.  I wish everyone that wanted horse slaughter stopped had to agree to adopt X number of horses that were headed for slaughter.  I'd have given them about 2 months of feeding and veting before they wanted the horses killed.

It's very sad when common sense isn't common.

I think people will drag horses into Mexico to slaughter them, if that's not being done already.

I wonder how much tax money will be spent rounding up wild horses and euthanizing them and burial this year alone.

I lived just one county over from the Kaufman plant, drove past it often, and it wasn't any worse than a cattle slaughterhouse in fact is was cleaner and smelled nicer.

Edited by huntseat 2007-03-19 3:11 PM
loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2007-03-19 9:58 PM (#57353 - in reply to #57320)

Expert

charmer88 I agree wiith you  I know somebody that bought a babby fold Dose not know how to train it so The fold is going wild and the owner things she is doing great wow
Charmer88
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-03-20 12:54 PM (#57377 - in reply to #57353)

Veteran

Don't quote me because I'm not looking this up but I think a lot of the horses going for slaughter were already going to Mexico, Canada plus the TX plant. Horses can still be slaughtered for animal meat...if the zoos will take it.

I think their are problems with the fact the shots and wormers are showing up in food and with the meat being shipped overseas the other countries won't put up with that! THE WHO has asked the US to stop adding antibiotics to our cattle and we are the only ones who won't also.

The flip side is showing the nice fat healthy horses and so many race horses going to slaughter via hidden cameras posted online and sending it to so many who can sign online petitions...it's hard to make people believe their are that many old and crippled horses needing to be killed that way.

Now I didn't say if I was for or against but I think there is a hidden agenda and we won't know till it happens.

The real common sense question is... HAVE WE STOPPED BREEDING YET? because whether you're for or against slaughter it effects us all.

Charmer88
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-03-20 1:01 PM (#57378 - in reply to #57274)

Veteran

Just a follow up...

I just found this on a new vet site linked from the horse.com

Just more material to help make up our own minds.

http://www.vetsforequinewelfare.org/ky-abandondedhorsemyth.php
Charmer88
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-03-20 1:09 PM (#57379 - in reply to #57274)

Veteran

These video's appear on this site too.

http://www.vetsforequinewelfare.org/video.php

rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2007-03-20 4:33 PM (#57393 - in reply to #57274)

but also see  www.extension.org/horse
walkin
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2007-03-21 12:10 PM (#57452 - in reply to #57274)

Elite Veteran

I believe that  horse abandonment will start soon , if not already.  After all, cats and dogs have been abandoned for yrs. 

And not having adequate resources to buy a horse does not mean you will not take excellent care of a free horse.  I have gotten several EXCELLENT free horses over the years.  I have also GIVEN away some pretty darn good ones.

Right now at KY sales , good reg riding horses are selling for 250-350 .

hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2007-03-22 5:19 AM (#57489 - in reply to #57274)

Expert

Old fella down the road from me pasture boards cheap.(old horse trader)Was $25 bucks a month! He's always got a few OLD horses he grains and worms that some one has boarded with him and never came back.Some he's boarded a while, a few others new boarder that have paid a couple months in advance and he's never heard from again.He at least has 100 acres,clean water and will give a cheap wormer and cheap feed when they get down and thin(no teeth and old) he's got his own back hoe.He'll even spend a little money on them with a vet if needed.Fella that owns the place is a OLD(mid 80s) horseman and I guess feels for these old horses.The few better ones he'sd given away as a first horse to a family for a child if they have bought others from him in the past.He's always feeding or keeping a couple of these old saddle marked,toothless ones near the barn/house so he can grain them some every day and try to get someone to do a little grooming on them etc. I think he feels a connected to these old horses and is very aware that someone took advantage of him.Fortunely he's known for having some bucks in this county(6 400 foot long chicken houses and a NICE long time paid for home/land) and has had some high dollar cutters in his day.He'll speak somewhat ill of the folkes that dumped these old animals but always fondly of these white marked saddle scared old horses. P.S I sold SPOOLER(and wife) a pair of MATCHED home bred TWHBEA TOBIANO fillys a couple years ago.He PAID too much to abondon them! He's says I caused them to be horse hooked! LOL

Edited by hounddog 2007-03-22 5:38 AM
Spooler
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2007-03-22 10:31 AM (#57497 - in reply to #57274)

Extreme Veteran

Yeap, It's your fault Hounddog. It is expensive to have horses and take good care of them. The people that jump into it half heartedly are the ones that frustrate me to no end. The people that work hard, buy a horse, are given a horse, and take good care of that horse I have all the respect for in the world. Still some good people in the world today that have morals and values. I enjoy every minute I spend with my horses. Wife has had horses all her life.  I had no idea I would enjoy them so much. It took me a long time to figure out I don't live to work, I work to live...
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2007-03-22 4:38 PM (#57521 - in reply to #57274)

Houndog: Your post about the elderly horseman and elderly horses down the road brought tears to my eyes.....
hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2007-03-22 5:24 PM (#57523 - in reply to #57274)

Expert

Well the old guy is a sharp card and horse trading for years! When I spent some time with him using HIS old facilty(hot walker/round pen etc) I watched him fuss over this bone rack mouse colered dun and and bad lame bone rack white horse(chronic white line disease and ALMOST started to get on his case about not feeding them because of back board bills.That was  NOT the case.They were just plain OLD and I saw what was behind the scenes and the vet said he'd taken care of MANY over the years and what the situation was.The OLD horse trader has a barn full of cats.Almost NONE born there and all fixed and shots.They have come from dinners and tossed out cars and he brings them home.A few still alive(old) he picked up states away going to a horse sale or a cutting back when HE was able. 

Edited by hounddog 2007-03-22 5:26 PM
HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2007-03-23 7:25 AM (#57553 - in reply to #57274)

Expert

If every town had the old man down the road taking care of all the overbred scrub horses then this would be a better place to live. We all don't, do we? So slaughter is enevitable. I have a lady that lives 1/2 mile down the road she has had horses here whole life, she has a gelding down there that is founder very badly, I talked with her the other day, he has gotten so poor looking, he don't stand very much, he is at the end of his life no doubt. I was talking with her on Tues. afternoon she said "he will die on this farm and be buried here" she was about in tears. She went on to say that old horse has taught my children and there children to ride, she got him when he was three and the best she can remember he is now over 30. He won't make it but maybe a month or so longer. It's a good thing we don't live on the main road because some busy body would likely turn her in for abuse because of the way this old horse looks. I appaud her for what she is doing. I don't think I could do it. I would likely have him put down. I know people that could not make that call, so they take them to an auction knowing well a good what is happening. We live in a free world, can come and go as we please, we don't need the goverment telling me I can't put my horses down when they age, we don't need the goverment telling the lady down the road that she can't let her old gelding die a natural death, and we don't need the goverment telling someone they can't sell the horse for slaughter when they are old or unwanted. I also don't want the goverment telling people when they can or can't breed horses. Although many are breeding for the wrong reasons.

Spooler
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2007-03-23 2:54 PM (#57594 - in reply to #57274)

Extreme Veteran

I feel the same way that the older folks listed above do.  Everyone needs some of those good traits. I call them good.
notfromtexas
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-03-23 7:11 PM (#57618 - in reply to #57553)

Veteran

Although I respect your opinion, the fact is that the old gelding cannot die a "natural" death.  By selectively breeding horses, taking them out of a "natural" environment, and giving them vaccines and other care, we have taken nature out of the equation.  If you have a horse you need to accept the responsibilty to have it put down when the quality of life has degenerated to the point where it is "poor looking and can't stand much".  I don't want the government telling me what to do, either, but the fact is, many people just should not be allowed to keep animals because they can't care for them properly, and if their neighbors will not step in and do something about it, then the government has to.
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2007-03-23 10:04 PM (#57640 - in reply to #57274)

HWBar

I respect the decision of your neighbor although I chose to have the vet put down my pony because she was suffering;  and thank goodness that option is still open to us with our animals.  I am fortunate to be able to bury my animals here on the farm (at least for now).  I agree that we do not need government telling us what we can and cannot do.... Remember that the government is zealously regulating pain meds for terminally ill people.  In a perfect world, all people would be nice and honest and responsible and caring and compassionate......... 

Edited by rose 2007-03-23 10:07 PM
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-03-24 6:57 PM (#57699 - in reply to #57274)

Expert

Rose, the government regulates pain medication about as well as I knit.  (I don't knit)  If you can't get the medication from one doctor go to another(called doctor shopping).

The only reason I've seen that a doc would not give out pain med is because he's been investigated, or they feel the patient is doctor shopping.  We've got one in our town that has nearly all his patients hooked on something.  The honest folks go to my father-in-law or my husband.

Had one person come in and wanted another month refill after 4 days, she said her sister picked up her pills and wouldn't give them to her.  In reality she and her family sell pain pills to supplement thier disabilty and SS checks.  Needless to say she didn't get the pills she was seeking.  So was the pharmacy at fault?

She goes to the other doc but he's being investigated for Medicare fraud.

Then there is always internet pharm's ready to mail you anything.

Longrider
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2007-03-24 9:10 PM (#57718 - in reply to #57274)

Extreme Veteran

Maybe she should check with Rush Limbaugh to see who he gets his extra pills from!
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2007-03-25 9:07 PM (#57770 - in reply to #57274)

Huntseat and Longrider
Thank you both for the giggle.........actually, I was referring to marijane for chemo patients primarily......and the limits on morphine....
Not the pill peddlers and dr shoppers. Anyway, more government regulation of anything is imo probably not a good thing.
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-03-26 10:03 AM (#57787 - in reply to #57274)

Expert

If you want that kinda stuff don't buy it legally, it's all over the streets and it's cheaper there.  This is what my students used to tell me.

I think they should legalize it and stop paying unemployment and put a time limit on welfare, say 3 months.  Those folks will find jobs just to pay for their habits.

HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2007-03-26 11:07 AM (#57794 - in reply to #57787)

Expert

Originally written by huntseat on 2007-03-26 10:03 AM

I think they should legalize it and stop paying unemployment and put a time limit on welfare, say 3 months.  Those folks will find jobs just to pay for their habits.

They could legalize it, and then tax it, that way the dopes would be at least paying for all the programs and entitlements that the wackos think we should be providing for this group of people.

At least Rush is paying for his drugs, without taxpayers help.

Edited by HWBar 2007-03-26 11:09 AM
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-03-26 2:27 PM (#57817 - in reply to #57274)

Expert

HWBar this is just for you!

Subject: Taxes & Urine Test

Edited by huntseat 2007-03-26 2:30 PM