Request for rescue help in West Tennessee
PAWALKER
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2007-01-27 9:32 AM (#54567)
Subject: Request for rescue help in West Tennessee

Regular

I am cross-posting this from my local message board.  Please pass it along if you can.  Judy
########################################
BEGIN QUOTE
"Recieved a call for help this evening with 150 horses being seized possibly tonight. The seizure involves more than horses, so we don't have all the details yet.

We will need transports and fosters. Approx. 60 miles north of Memphis. PLEASE pass the word to other boards to contact me by email hht@horsehavenoftn.com or leave info at (865) 609-4030 or by cell at (865) 406-5762

Need names, contact info, transport amount, foster capabilities, location."
END QUOTE

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
IcePonyGoddess
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2007-01-27 2:07 PM (#54577 - in reply to #54567)
Subject: RE: Request for rescue help in West Tennessee

Elite Veteran

What breed are these horses? You may want to try contacting breed associations, etcGood luck!
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2007-01-27 10:05 PM (#54587 - in reply to #54567)

I looked up the website. Horse Haven of Tennessee is based in Knoxville. I seriously doubt that they would have been contacted by law enforcement on the western edge of West Tennessee regarding neglected/abused horses; however, if further information is available, please post it here.
robdnorm
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2007-01-28 9:40 PM (#54629 - in reply to #54567)

Extreme Veteran

I teach at a local high school and we have a stock trailer that we have agreed to use in cases like this.  Each county in TN had to go through a livestock plan like this in cases of emergency.  It is done through the Extension service.  They might have some numbers of individuals to help.  In the plan, they are supposed to have areas and haulers designated.  This was a part of Homeland Security.  I am guessing that they will be in either Shelby or Tipton County.  I might could help hold a few horses over at our school if necessary.  Like Jan said, just post some more information and we will see what we can do to help. 

loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2007-01-28 10:06 PM (#54635 - in reply to #54629)

Expert

go to tack store and ask if they know any farms or barns in the are that could help  also look for club ect good luck god bless you for helping these horse from ny
Ike
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2007-01-29 7:58 AM (#54644 - in reply to #54567)

Veteran

More info?
robdnorm
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2007-01-29 8:38 PM (#54699 - in reply to #54567)

Extreme Veteran

I think you have most all the West TN folks on ready to help.  We just need some more info.  Let us know what we can do to help.
PAWALKER
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2007-01-30 1:32 PM (#54740 - in reply to #54699)

Regular

Well, the last I knew, which was Monday, mid-afternoon, a lady named Nina had received the call for help.  She has called the person asking for help several times and left messages.  To my knowledge, to-date, no one has returned her calls.

Sooooo, as we all sit tap, tap, tapping our fingers, many are beginning to wonder if the call to Nina was on the level.  If it wasn't, I hope the "what goes around, comes around" principle takes action soon.

On the other hand, it could be that the caller perceived the situation as legitimate, jumped the gun, made the phone call to Nina and whomever else, and then the situation was NOT deemed as a rescue situation by the authorities. 

I have a new neighbor that just did that to another, long-established horse neighbor because a large herd of horses were out and don't have a barn.  They have plenty of trees a fresh pond and hay rolls, but no barn -- something that is very common where I live. Not saying I like it, but it's just the way many of the long-timers do things in my neck of the woods

I sure wish someone from that area of West Tennessee, that knows the straight-skinny, would come in on any of the message boards I posted this on and update us

I am too far away to help physically, but would have been willing to send a little bit of money to help buy necessities for the horses.

EDITED TO ADD:

01-30, 2:00PM Central:  I called Nina.  Nina who manages Horse Haven in the Knoxville, TN area.  She is STILL leaving messages to the original caller and is not hearing anything back. 

Nina asked that I please apologize to everyone who has shown concern, a willingness to help, and have remained on stand-by.  She is keeping my cell phone number and will call if she gets an update.

If it's frustrating for those reading this thread, I can only imagine how frustrating this must be for Horse Haven

Edited by PAWALKER 2007-01-30 2:03 PM
robdnorm
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2007-01-30 3:11 PM (#54747 - in reply to #54567)

Extreme Veteran

Thanks for the update.  We will keep checking the board and be ready to help if any more information becomes available.  There are at least three of us on here that are within 90 minutes of this location that will be ready to assist and pass word along to others in this area to get any help needed.