When was your first love of horses?
dizzydame
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-01-24 1:58 PM (#54422)
Subject: When was your first love of horses?

Hi Ya'll-----I'm new here and just wanted to know when you first got into horses? Did you always have a love for horses or did it just grow from something or someone in your life? 
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-01-24 4:01 PM (#54424 - in reply to #54422)
Subject: RE: When was your first love of horses?

Expert

Wanted one from the first time I touched one about 4.  Lessons at 6, first horse at 8, first show horse at 14, started "catch" riding at shows for other trainers at 15.  My parents now call my catch riding...well her trainer pimped her out to other trainers, lovely Mom and Dad just lovely.

It's all up and over the fence from there!  Just bought a 160 acre ranch to keep the horsing going for many years to come!  These OK cowboys think my English saddles are broken because they don't have a horn.

huntinfool
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2007-01-25 12:46 AM (#54461 - in reply to #54422)

Regular

I realized I loved horses about ten years ago when it became clear to me that I would rather ride around in the mountains than hike . I use horses for hunting and mountain trail riding . There is just some thing about being with my horses even if it is just spending time with them in the barn .  
windwalker2
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2007-01-25 5:35 AM (#54463 - in reply to #54422)

Extreme Veteran

I think since "Birth" (took lessons, owned, etc).............don't know where it came from though.  My parents immigrated from Greece in the 1920's so to them horses were only good for pulling wagons...., not pleasure................but they never tried to discourage me from riding.  They actually bought me my first horse...............I come from a very large big fat greek family, and I'm the only one that owns horses..................kinda like the black "horse" (oh, a black horse, how beautifull) of the family I guess.  Can't imagine my life without them though.....

windwalker2
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2007-01-25 7:58 AM (#54468 - in reply to #54424)

Extreme Veteran

The first time I ever tried Team Penning, I used my English saddle.  Of course all the Cowboy's couldn't believe I stayed in the saddle......................I loved it, but my horse didn't care for it.  She couldn't figure out why the heck I wanted to take a calf OUT of the herd.......we know she came from out west, so maybe her job was to get strays back into the herd........don't know,,,,,,,but my Team Penning days were short lived........
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2007-01-25 9:02 AM (#54470 - in reply to #54422)

Expert

I was born and raised in the 'burbs to a family that never owned horses ( unless you count the generations that used horses for hauling the wagons) My sister played with barbies..I played with Breyer horses. I have no idea why I am the only one bitten by the horse bug but as long as I can recall, I have loved reading horse books, watching horse moives, playing horse, screaming in the car STOP! I SEE A HORSE!Now I own and show them. None of my kids have any interest in them so maybe I'll have to wait for a grand kid...and yes I'll wait.
windwalker2
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2007-01-25 10:02 AM (#54477 - in reply to #54470)

Extreme Veteran

Farmbabe;  hang in there.........I'm a proud first time Grandma.  He's just 8 months old...........I made sure the "herd" took sniff's of him when he was just 6 weeks old.........Now that he can sit up by himself his little butt will be sitting on one real soon...............and my kids, like yours,  could care less about the horses.....................but they always want to bring my Grandson to the farm so we can babysit..........which is fine with us because this will give him alot of exposure to "horses"!  We hope that the next generation will fall in love with horses................(our fingers are crossed).

farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2007-01-25 11:50 AM (#54486 - in reply to #54422)

Expert

LOL..I'll be hanging in there for a long time as neither college kids have boyfriends/girlfriends as of yet. yeah, thats ok for now as they are in school and not self supporting, let alone kid supporting! I'd love to be able to see a grandchild show horses when I am too old to do so........
dizzydame
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-01-25 12:18 PM (#54487 - in reply to #54470)

Didn't I read that your little girl loves horses too?
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2007-01-25 1:36 PM (#54489 - in reply to #54422)

Expert

My daughter? No she never really did. She is now 22 and a senior at Michigan State.
SLICKRNSNOT
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2007-01-25 10:31 PM (#54517 - in reply to #54422)

Elite Veteran

When I found out girls liked em!!!
hav2ride
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-01-26 3:50 PM (#54547 - in reply to #54422)

Expert

Since birth but I had to wait till I was in high school and could buy one from a friend for $100 till I actually owned one. Before that I would do anything possible to be near them: lead ponies at fairs, find friends who owned them, and save baby sitting money to be able to rent them for an hour. I'm the only one in my family that has this disease, and it IS an incurable disease!! My husband is kind enough to understand that I can't be helped and he really tries his best to be totally supportive. Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately!), neither of my kids have this affliction, so I do it by myself. But that's ok. At least I CAN do it!
loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2007-01-26 9:20 PM (#54560 - in reply to #54547)

Expert

the first love was when the guy got his son a horse and i saw it that was it for me and i have never look back
Its all about horses
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-02-03 12:24 AM (#54963 - in reply to #54422)

I have loved them from day one.  My family was realy into horses and Pony Club.  My sister and I would ride and train together.  She now lives in Seattle and is a chef so I have to ride by myself and my students.  Fortuntly my husband grew up with horses and is now a fairier and enjoys riding with me.  My 3yr old daughter can't get enough of them and will soon be driving me crazy with all her wild ridding. As my mom says " Its pay back time!!"
WesternSky
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2007-02-04 7:57 PM (#55057 - in reply to #54963)

Regular

Dunno, it's always been there for me too as long as I can remember. I grew up in the burbs but they were still widely undeveloped with alot of open space in our area with horses scattered around here and there. So I'd spend hours with the neighboring critters, observing them and eventually running into the owners... and finally getting to be able to ride (bare back was the only way to go then) and learn some rudimentary horsemanship, and only with my mom's reluctant permission. Then onto working for a local rental string as a young teenager. My parents said NO WAY would they buy a horse for me, never, ever... so I worked out a lease arrangement with an old cowboy from the dude stable. Finally after college and I was on my own I dove into to ownership full time.

Life is good.

lisa
IcePonyGoddess
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2007-02-04 9:06 PM (#55060 - in reply to #54422)

Elite Veteran

I was riding while in my mom's belly. My grandfather was a great horseman, I grew up loving adn learning horses from him. Out of nine kids my mom had, I was the only one who got the horse gene. I've had horses my entire life. Grew up with QH, just riding and ranching. Then I rode a TWH and got hooked into gaited horses. Had TWH until a few years ago, when I put down my last TWH. Now I ride a cute little Icelandic Horse gelding. I love my pony! I grew up riding ponies and it seems that now that I'm in my 50's, I'm back to riding a pony.
mingiz
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2007-02-05 10:14 AM (#55078 - in reply to #54422)

Elite Veteran

I think from the day I was born. But I can remembering asking for a pony for Xmas and got one of those spring bouncy horses. I rode that thing all over the house. It could even rear up and not lose me....
alangary_84118
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-02-05 10:22 AM (#55080 - in reply to #54422)

my mom got married to a great guy when i was four.got my frist horse at five,told me i could have his horse when i could saddle it.at seven he had to get him a new horse.started rodeoing in high school.started team penning at 40.been team penning for 10 years,i called him dad all my life,thank god for sending him too me...........
gemm
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2007-02-05 1:24 PM (#55094 - in reply to #54422)

Extreme Veteran

My family had horses. As the story goes, starting when I was 2 they'd put me up on the old QH mare to cool her off after a ride, then forget about me for a couple of hours. Round and round she goes....Between "real" rides I had one of the spring horses and would ride all day with just a pack of raisins for energy. My mom must have loved how easy I was! Neither of my kids have the horse gene, but they're tolerant of my affliction.
Longearslover
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-02-06 12:00 PM (#55125 - in reply to #54422)

I am a little different, grew up in town, never rode until I married my husband in my late 20's.  Loved my first trailride.  Finding the right mount was a challenge but have had several great mules.  Now in my early 40's - I will never be a super confident rider or into anything competitive but I love trailriding, spending time on my mule and out in nature.  People who don't ride don't know what they're missing. 
Dunoir
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2007-02-06 2:15 PM (#55130 - in reply to #54422)

Elite Veteran

My older sister, Laurel had the "horse bug" and when she got a pony at age 12, I was 8 and fell in love as well.  I ended up with the stronger love though and have had horses all my life.

She didn't get horses again until later, but now has 3 while I only have 1.  She's also raises sheep, goats, geese, and has a bunch of dogs and cats. 

lively
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2007-02-07 3:51 AM (#55157 - in reply to #55078)

Regular

I can't really pinpointit myself. My family is about as non horsey as it gets. Was lucky I ever saw more than a photo. First I remember thinking of em is  from when i was probably about 4 -5 yrs old. Went to the strawberry festival with my grans and got  a pony ride. Can't say it started there lol  just has always been there. Dad got me my first chance around horses when i was 13.

Set me up  to go to daycamp for a week. COuldn't afford to go afterthat. The  owners had me work in exchange for riding for the next 2-3 yrs  and soon I along with two friends were  doing the daycamp thing and taking out trailrides.

Have worked my butt off ever since just to be around em. Got my first horse in my 20's after guilt tripping the hubby(  hes military was heading to korea). Heh got my first horse and my god but she was  one hell of a  lesson. Had for  close to 9months then had to sell her. ( hubby refused to let me keep her said she was  too dangerous). Soo I took her to auction and came back with two more lmao. Great deal though very sweet horses  yearling filly and a 12 yr old APHA stud for 850.  Would have sworn that stud ws a gelding he was so dang sweet . Great temperment  his daughter ( the filly)  had the same temperment.  SOld both  when i came to texas.

"grumble gripe..." OK  sore subject lol . Haven't had another one since.  Haven't rode since i got here 2 yrs ago either. I think I may go nuts if I don't find a place to ride soon. WIll need to go back to lessons after this  long. *sigh*

freightdog7
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-02-08 8:55 AM (#55214 - in reply to #54422)

Growing up on a farm in Ohio, my first memories are of horses and barn cats. We had an old Paint that I named "Paint" (pretty original at four years old huh?) The old gelding was a gentle patient old horse that looking back was really beautiful. Anyway, my father used to let me feed him sugar cubes. One day, at four, I figured while I was up on the fence feeding sugar cubes I would just jump on his back and ride him like everyone else! Oh I went for a great ride all alone...straight across a field holding on to his mane. He jumped the creek and I stayed on but by that time my dad saw me and was running out in the field after me. I fell off and faced the consequences...next time I rode bareback I made sure my dad was not home...boy did I get a whippin...course that is back when kids got whipped!