Eastern Oklahoma Trail Camps - Suggestions
ponytammy
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2007-01-04 3:30 PM (#53287)
Subject: Eastern Oklahoma Trail Camps - Suggestions

Elite Veteran

We are wanting to make a return trip this year to the Ouchita/Kiamichi moutains in Oklahoma. We've been to Cedar Lake Equestrian Camp several times but would like to try out a new place within an hours drive from where Cedar Lake (Heavener) is located. It takes us 6.5 hours to get to Heavener, so we use this as a reference point for the additional time/distance. Some sites I have located are Horse Heaven Ranch, A-Z Ranch and JD Trail Riding Camp. Has anyone stayed at these camps?

We are getting soft and like a campground that has electic hook-up and corrals for our horses. Also need an area that can accomodate a 28 foot LQ trailer. The trails can be moderate to difficult and rocks are okay. Somewhat marked would be good too. Does anyone have any other campsite recommendations? We are planning on going in April/May time frame.

Thanks!

Edited by ponytammy 2007-01-04 3:31 PM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Texas Butch
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-01-04 4:54 PM (#53290 - in reply to #53287)
Subject: RE: Eastern Oklahoma Trail Camps - Suggestions

Veteran

Horse Heaven is a good place.  Also there is Robbers Cove that is pretty close to CL.  You might also try this website:  www.oklahomehorseonline.com
calamityj
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2007-01-05 7:39 PM (#53368 - in reply to #53287)

Elite Veteran

We just returned to sw mo from Horse Heaven Jan 2nd... This is our second time there and we love the camp!!! The trails are nice, some rocky, some not so rocky... horses should be well-shod before you venture anywhere in Missouri/Arkansas/eastern OKla... There are great trails between you and SE Oklahoma on the way down (Devil's Den Ark/ Pineville, Mo/Pea Ridge) and some others nearby (Buffalo River south of Harrison,Ark) that are great but not all have hook-ups. I will try to post some pics of Horse Heaven soon...
ponytammy
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2007-01-08 9:13 PM (#53552 - in reply to #53287)

Elite Veteran

Thanks for the info. We really enjoy going to Ponderosa for weekend rides as it is just a few hours from our home. Haven't Been back to Steele Creek at the Buffalo River in awhile. Not to keen on Picket Lining for a week, but the riding there is gorgeous. I hope to see your pics of Horse Heaven Ranch. We made our reservations today. Can't wait for this winter weather to go away. Do you also have any pics of Devils Den? We were thinking about going there in the fall.

Happy Trails,

Tammy

Edited by ponytammy 2007-01-08 9:18 PM
dateacher
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2007-01-26 8:54 PM (#54554 - in reply to #53552)

Ponytammy I'm just down the road from you in Pittsburg. Place I have enjoyed the most is the Black Hills in South Dakota but would like to go to Devils Den.We are looking for a LQ trailer so we can go anywhere. Good to know there are many people in this area that trail ride.