S & H or Titan Trailer
debbopp56
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-01-04 10:06 AM (#53277)
Subject: S & H or Titan Trailer

New User

What are the pros and cons of these trailers?

Thanks, Deb

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
nd deb
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2007-01-04 11:49 AM (#53279 - in reply to #53277)
Subject: RE: S & H or Titan Trailer

Veteran

I have a 98 3 horse gn titan renegade and I really love my trailer.   It has held up really well.  The past couple of winters I havne't been able to get in stored inside over winter and the paint is still in good shape.  I have some paint chips here and there from driving on gravel and thats expected but it does still look and even smell fairly new. 

I get many compliments on my trailer.  Even with it being almost 10 yrs old I have people ask me if I had gotten a different trailer.  It is a sharp looking trailer.  It has smooth sides and I have had people ask me if it is aluminum. 

pics of it can be seen at http://www.debknudson.freewebspace.com/photo2.html

It pulls great.  I don't notice it being heavy.  My folks have a 16 ft bumperpull stock trailer.  Not a titan and when pulling that you feel it.   This trailer is 18 ft and you don't notice any wt back there.  I have found it quite versatile in the number of horses I can haul in it.  It hauls 4 in there comfortably with the dividers.  I don't have a rear tack so then there is room to put a 4th one in.  I have also hauled 5 comfortably by taking out the front divider and laatching the rear one in the front ones hole.  It then squares off the back.  You then can get 2 at a slant in front of it and 3 side by side facing the front behind it.  I have done this with a 16 hand horse  1200lb, 15.2 h horse  1100 to 1200lb, and 3, 15 hand 1200 lbs or more sized horses.   They were averaged sized. 

debbopp56
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-01-04 12:03 PM (#53280 - in reply to #53277)

New User

Thank you so much. Your information really helps!

Deb

dallyup31
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2007-01-05 1:41 AM (#53313 - in reply to #53277)

Have never pulled an S&H. I am on my 2nd Titan( went from a 3 to a 4 horse)and will not hesitate to buy another. Mine is a 99 and has many yrs left.
WesternSky
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2007-01-05 11:16 PM (#53374 - in reply to #53277)

Regular

Hi Deb.

We just bought a Titan Avalanche 2H GN with 8X12 dressing room, after looking at many, many different makes. We discovered that the saddle rack can be moved up front and the rear tack area opened up to accomodate a third (small) horse if necessary. Tried it out full up with 3 horses just to see if it could be done in an emergency and all was fine. The box is 18', overall is 26' I believe. We found it for sale in Wisconsin off of this website. The price was within my limited budget and since I couldn't afford to have it delivered, the dealer brought it about 5 hours closer to us to seal the deal. Was very happy that they offered that to us.

We are lucky enough to be associated with a large drill team group that meets every Saturday. The participants fill a multi-acre parking lot with every model of trailer you can think of. So, I went door-to-door and started asking folks about their trailers. I got excellent feedback on the Titans. Since they are made in Kansas, there seem to be alot of them here in Colorado.

I like the look of them also and of course the galvaneal is a plus. The trailer appears to be very solidly constructed. We've only had it a short while so I can't give you much history on ours, but it pulls very nicely, and I am so pleased with how well it does in all of this snow we've been getting here along the Front Range. This is the first gooseneck I have owned, always had bumper pulls for 20+ years. The finish and paint is much better than I expected for the price also. Door catches and latches are nice and smooth, window hardware is of good quality. Welds are clean and first rate as well as other aspects of the fabrication (according to my spouse).

A thumbs up for the Titans here and good luck on your research.

lisa in (frozen) colorado
nd deb
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2007-01-06 9:47 AM (#53396 - in reply to #53277)

Veteran

The only problem I have with mine is that I wish that when I had ordered it that I would have gotten a collaspable rear tack and a walk thru door.   The yr I ordered mine is the yr they first came out with the walk thru doors.  At the time I was like "why would I need that" so I didn't put one in.  I now wish I would have.  I didn't realize how nice it is not to have to go out side and then back into the front escape door to use the port a pot.  My dressing room door and escape door are on the same side of the trailer so it isn't too much walking around but still it can be cold or wet on your feet getting up in the middle of the nite to use the pot. 

Not having the rear tack doesn't bother me so much but now that I am looking to sell it and get something that I can get a vis a vis and horse in I wish I had it.   I have removable tack rack in my finished off dressing room.  I have found many people don't care for it being up there and I dont' have a rear tack to move it to. They could move it to the first stall or rear stall but need to weld 2 round cyclinders onto the wall for it to slide into.  Which would be easy enought to do. Then they are probably only to be able to haul 2 horses because of it.   Any ways, because of no rear tack compartment it is being harder to sell.   For me it isn't a problem.  I usually keep my show stuff up front and it usually isn't stinky.  If I have something stinky then I will put it in the back when I don't have horses in there.  For trail rides I usually move all my tack to the back to allow more room up front.  I haven't had any problems with tack stinking up the dressing room.   But this is what people fear with it being up there.   So, if you are looking at easier resell and value I would suggest getting a trailer with these things.

dschoof
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-01-08 8:53 PM (#53550 - in reply to #53277)

New User

Hi Deb,
We bought a Titan 3 horse slant gooseneck new in 2000 and just recently sold it to go to aluminum with living quarters. My wife and I loved the trailer and had many positive comments on it. We used the trailer often and put many miles on it with no problems. Towed good also. With occasional washing and annual wax, the trailer had very little rust after seven years of use. We sold it to the first caller who paid close to full asking price. We see many Titans in this area as there is a Titan dealer nearby and he sells quite a few of them. Most people we know with them have had good luck with them and they are a good trailer for the money.