new dodge diesel trucks
cttwdfm
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2006-12-31 12:07 PM (#53071)
Subject: new dodge diesel trucks

hello Mr. Truck,

I am upgrading my truck from 3/4 Ton Dodge gas hemi to the 2007, 3500, 5.9 Cummins with manual transmission.  It looks like I will have plenty of pulling power for my 3 horse Featherlite with wknd lq.pkg.  but...I see Dodge is coming out with a 6.7 litre diesel in 2007.  Do you think I should wait, or does it really matter.  Thanks for your help

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
crowbar cattle co
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2006-12-31 1:31 PM (#53075 - in reply to #53071)
Subject: RE: new dodge diesel trucks

New User

You will get more power out of the new motor. But you have to run the new diesel fuel which might not be in your gas station yet. Also you get the new 6 speed trans if you go auto, and they want you to run there new oils in them. But I also wait until the next year comes out in case they have problems.
Spooler
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2006-12-31 4:50 PM (#53083 - in reply to #53071)

Extreme Veteran

If I were you I would go ahead and get the 5.9 Cummins. It is a proven engine.  The new 6.7 will probably be fine but the verdict is still out on that one.
cttwdfm
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2006-12-31 6:06 PM (#53086 - in reply to #53071)

Thanks for your help.  Anyone have any opinions on the 5.9 Diesel Dodge with a 6 speed manual transmission?  It seems to have ok reviews - maybe a little low on power but otherwise good.
racesarabhorses
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2006-12-31 6:15 PM (#53087 - in reply to #53071)

Veteran

You're crazy to wait!  Take advantage of the lower sale price of the 5.9L.  I have a 2006 Ram 3500/Cummins with the 6 speed manual transmission.  You could not PAY ME to drive ANY brand's automatic transmission... I've replaced 2 in 2 years.

I love my Ram.  It will spin the tires accelerating my 5700 pound (empty) horse trailer from a rolling start in 2nd gear.  Accelerates the empty trailer like it is barely there... 5-60 in about 10 seconds or less.

The steeper the hill, the heavier the trailer, the harder the truck accelerates.  I have had a go with a "ricer" coming back form Missouri (where I bought the truck) on I-40 in Tennessee.  Lost the guy on the uphills like he wasn't there... pinned back in my seat in 5th gear while he grew smaller and smaller.

Similar situation with a guy in a 5.6L Nissan Pathfinder last weekend... he would let me in, and got upset when I cut in anyway (I was already in his lane before realizing he either wasn't paying attention or just wanted to not be nice.)  At any rate, he cut me off later, then got to watch my Ram chew up his tailfeathers when the traffic jam cleared.

I don't usually get pushy behind the wheel... but just wanted to let you know that, from my experience, the Ram will probably more than serve your needs.

I think you will be happy with the '07 Ram.  I'm coming from the Ford camp, but Dodge gave me a better price on a truck with more options.  $35,500 for a Ram 3500 quad cab with 6 speed, nav system, jake brake, and a whole lot of other options, SLT trim.

Mike

Edited by racesarabhorses 2006-12-31 6:20 PM
kershawsowner
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2006-12-31 6:27 PM (#53088 - in reply to #53071)

Veteran

i think you will be very happy going ahead and getting the 5.9 diesel.. i have a 05 loaded to the max dodge 3500 4x4 it is auto but i am easy on my trucks mostly interstate driving... it pulls my cimmeron norstar full living quarters 3 horse like a dream.. loaded up with all the camping stuff water,hay,tack,portable corral panels,shavings etc.. we are talking quite a bit of weight i would say in the 15000,00 lb range... you will love your truck... good luck
cttwdfm
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2006-12-31 6:27 PM (#53089 - in reply to #53071)

Hi Mike,

Well that answers the question about transmission price &  power!  Thanks.  I gather they're upgrading to compete with Ford and Chevy.  However, I'm happy to have someone else test the new toys out.

xyzer
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2006-12-31 6:36 PM (#53091 - in reply to #53087)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by racesarabhorses on 2006-12-31 4:15 PM

It will spin the tires accelerating my 5700 pound (empty) horse trailer from a rolling start in 2nd gear.  Accelerates the empty trailer like it is barely there... 5-60 in about 10 seconds or less.

I can see why your autos don't hold up! Now you will have to deal with clutches.

If you get a 5.9 built before tonight (Happy New Year!) it can run the old fuel. The autos have a higher final drive ratio and tend to get better fuel milage when empty. The auto will turn 2000 RPM at 70 and the 6 speed is around 2100 RPM. If you look at the rating of the 5.9 and compare it to the 6.7 you will see it doesn't have that much more power. The 48RE auto in "06" & "07" has a tow haul mode and OD lock out, and is also approved for an exhaust brake. The 6 speed and the auto's are both good choices. If you like to row (shift) a lot to get around town then the 6 speed is for you. Personal choice I suppose. If I was rich I would have a 6 speed dually and a auto SRW.  I have had 3 Dodge autos 2 47RE's and now a 48RE and never had a problem.  But then I have never spun the tires with a trailer hooked to it either!   

Edited by xyzer 2006-12-31 6:40 PM
racesarabhorses
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2006-12-31 7:14 PM (#53092 - in reply to #53091)

Veteran

xyzer, I took it very easy on the Impala and the Ford diesel I had.  Don't know why the Impala trans let go, but the Ford diesel had 30,000 miles on a rebuild done by the previous owner--so shady dealings there, anyway.  Who knows what quality of rebuild he got...

It failed on the way back to Georgia from my wedding in Florida, with my wife in the truck with me and 3 horses in tow.  We got home... but it was a miracle...  :-)

Edited by racesarabhorses 2006-12-31 7:17 PM
Spooler
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2007-01-01 2:48 AM (#53102 - in reply to #53086)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by cttwdfm on 2006-12-31 10:06 PM

Thanks for your help.  Anyone have any opinions on the 5.9 Diesel Dodge with a 6 speed manual transmission?  It seems to have ok reviews - maybe a little low on power but otherwise good.

A little down on power?  I could see that on what is being posted in writing but not raw pulling power.  That inline six has more grunt than any of the others V-8's ever thought about having. Nothing wrong with the auto either.  It is quit durable as long as you don't go out there and act like it is a race car.

Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2007-01-01 6:34 AM (#53105 - in reply to #53071)

Expert

I can't  believe you guys are evening discussing the old sulfer fuel vs the new Ultra Low Sulfer Fuel issue.  We are all running the ULSD now. It will be very difficult to even find the Low Sulfer diesel at a pump. Every station dispensing fuel HAS to be selling it. So unless they offer two diesel fuel types, they are now selling the ULSD. I don't any stations that put in a new tank to dispense a second diesel fuel type that will be totally gone by 2010.

So unless you have a big storage tank on your own property. We are all running the new fuel.

The 5.9 engines will probably have some better deals/rebates on them than the newer engines. The manufactures seem to be bumping the price a couple thousand bucks to compensate for the new emissions.

cttwdfm
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2007-01-01 12:17 PM (#53114 - in reply to #53071)

Happy New Year!  I picked up one of the 07's with the 5.9 yesterday afternoon.  I don't know if it's plain old bad driving on my part but there seems to be a bit of a clunk in the transmission between lower gears.  Any of you guys who have one know anything about the tranny?  Otherwise, it rocks! and the towing power is just what I need.

racesarabhorses
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2007-01-01 12:58 PM (#53120 - in reply to #53114)

Veteran

Did you get the automatic or manual transmission?  I've not had any noises with my 6-speed manual...

As far as the engine upgrade goes...  I believe all manufacturers are changing engine options later this year due to emission requirements.  Dodge isn't changing to stay up with Ford and GM... it is changing because of emissions.  Ford is going with a twin turbo setup (bad idea--more parts to break and more expense for you and me if we plan on keeping our trucks past warranty expiration, which I do).  Dodge is going with a bigger engine to negate the power-robbing effects of additional emissions equipment.  Not sure what GM is doing... thought I'd heard that the Duramax was meeting the next-tier of emissions requirements... maybe someone can confirm/deny this.

At any rate, the changes are due to emissions... hopefully durability won't suffer.  cttwdfm, I think you made the right choice to buy a third-generation Ram with the Cummins in it now, before prices go up.

bonniejf
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2007-01-02 8:26 AM (#53166 - in reply to #53105)

Regular

Originally written by Painted Horse on 2007-01-01 6:34 AM

I can't believe you guys are evening discussing the old sulfer fuel vs the new Ultra Low Sulfer Fuel issue. We are all running the ULSD now. It will be very difficult to even find the Low Sulfer diesel at a pump. Every station dispensing fuel HAS to be selling it. So unless they offer two diesel fuel types, they are now selling the ULSD. I don't any stations that put in a new tank to dispense a second diesel fuel type that will be totally gone by 2010.

So unless you have a big storage tank on your own property. We are all running the new fuel.

The 5.9 engines will probably have some better deals/rebates on them than the newer engines. The manufactures seem to be bumping the price a couple thousand bucks to compensate for the new emissions.

Um, I live in rural Alabama. Most gas stations have never even heard of ULSD. The town I work in is located right off the interstate. The only station with diesel fuel at that exit only has one pump that works and does not get much business. Besides that, there is one other station that carries diesel. The town where I live has two stations with diesel. I've asked both about ULSD and neither had even heard of it. When I travel out of town, I make sure to get ULSD because I'm getting better mileage out of it, but I doubt very seriously that any diesel pump in this county is pumping ULSD whether the owners know it or not. Pumps do have the "Low Sulpher Diesel Fuel" stickers with no mention of any other. Good thing my car gets 700 miles to the tank, that way I can plan to get gas away from home very easily.
racesarabhorses
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2007-01-02 1:52 PM (#53190 - in reply to #53086)

Veteran

I must take exception with the "a little low on power comment"...  Never had any issues with power on  my truck.  As a matter of fact, I've walked away from more than one new Ford diesel in the past 6 months of owning the Dodge, and I've not done a thing to my truck to increase power.  

xyzer
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2007-01-02 2:18 PM (#53192 - in reply to #53105)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by Painted Horse on 2007-01-01 4:34 AM

I can't  believe you guys are evening discussing the old sulfer fuel vs the new Ultra Low Sulfer Fuel issue.  We are all running the ULSD now. It will be very difficult to even find the Low Sulfer diesel at a pump. Every station dispensing fuel HAS to be selling it. So unless they offer two diesel fuel types, they are now selling the ULSD. I don't any stations that put in a new tank to dispense a second diesel fuel type that will be totally gone by 2010.

Well yes I still have 500gal of Low Sulfer diesel still in my tank at home which is kind of a personal problem...but one must consider the fuel in Mexico and Canada also. 

evallone
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2007-01-02 6:04 PM (#53207 - in reply to #53091)

Veteran

An aside and (I hope you don't mind) question.  I am still driving my '99 Dodge Diesel auto 2500. It has only 82,000 miles on it.  Did you have any problems with yours as the miles racked up?  Thanks much.  Eleanor

racesarabhorses
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2007-01-02 7:40 PM (#53212 - in reply to #53207)

Veteran

The only problem I'm aware of that seems to be somewhat widespread is ball joints going out.  Usually about 50,000 to 75,000 miles a set (ha ha ha).

I'm not sure how much of a problem this REALLY is for those of us who stick mostly to paved roads...

Mike

Sheree
Reg. Oct 2006
Posted 2007-01-02 8:45 PM (#53218 - in reply to #53114)

About the transmission: I have an 06 5.9 CTD Ram auto and love it. It is my first diesel and I noticed the same transmission behavior you describe when I first drove it. Being a bit obsessed with knowing why, I searced several cummins turbo diesel forums and came across a post by a transmission guru who explained in great detail why it does that. It is normal for that transmission. The new 6 speed auto they are coming out with on the 07's is made for a cummins turbo diesel from the point of design up and will not shift that way. The transmission in our trucks is adapted from a transmission designed for gasoline engines and the computer chip had to be shall we say monkeyed with until it worked with the diesel. It has to do with the rpms at which those two engines shift at. The diesel shifts at much lower rpms. There is also a smart chip in it that "learns" how you drive. If you drive a lot of short stop and go initally, the transmission will seem to short shift and be rough. If you drive mostly highway and give it a more agressive pedal, it will eventually shift smoother. It will never shift with a butter soft feel. It does get better with more miles, though, and it is a good transmission. The new 6 speed should be a great improvement, but like another person mentioned, it is better to not be the guinea pig for a new design first year out. I found a lot of very helpful info on the Ram CTD forums--way more than the guys at my dealership know (scary). Check out carsondodge.com support forum and dieselram.com One other thing, it is important to read the posts on carson dodge.com about the front drive shaft servicing. Almost everyone fails to service it because the place to put the grease in is very very hard to find. My dearlship argued with me that it was a sealed unit and didn't need service. I had to print off the info from the site with a picture to prove it to them. They really hate it when a woman tells them they don't know how to properly service a truck! :0) enjoy your truck!
cttwdfm
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2007-01-02 9:53 PM (#53223 - in reply to #53190)

I did go ahead buy the 2007 Dodge with the 5.9 diesel & 6 speed manual transmission and it seems to have absolutely NO power issues & it's fun to drive.  Where I got that bit about the power issues is from the reviews on www.edmunds.com   He is advising people to go for the new model with the auto trans and the 6.7 litre engine.

cttwdfm
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2007-01-02 9:58 PM (#53224 - in reply to #53218)

Thanks for the info, that is a big help - I'll look up that site.  I noticed today when I kept the rpms a bit higher between shifts, the clunk became less noticable or disappeared so what you said makes sense, ie with that tranny being made originally for a gas engine where the rpms would normally be higher.  I'm loving this truck though, it rocks!  Can't wait to tow with it.
racesarabhorses
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2007-01-03 3:35 AM (#53226 - in reply to #53218)

Veteran

You're talking about the automatic transmission, sounds like.

The 6 speed MANUAL in my truck, and the one cttwdfm just bought, is a heavy duty unit intended for use with the Cummins.  I've had no clunk issues, and I tend to shift low.  Might want to give the truck some break in time... and take it back to the dealer for a check.  My truck has been perfect... yours should be, too.

Edited by racesarabhorses 2007-01-03 4:31 PM
junespigs
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-01-03 6:59 PM (#53263 - in reply to #53071)

New User

hey i have a 06 3500 6 speed manual and i love it love it love it. lots of pulling power. i have had a ford one ton and a chevy. this is my first dodge, and there is no comparison. i never have to down shift pulling hills and i have a big trailer with lq. and i hardly ever have to down shift going down hill either.

dwnsouth
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2007-01-05 8:56 AM (#53326 - in reply to #53071)

Regular

I can't believe you guys are evening discussing the old sulfer fuel vs the new Ultra Low Sulfer Fuel issue. We are all running the ULSD now. It will be very difficult to even find the Low Sulfer diesel at a pump. Every station dispensing fuel HAS to be selling it. So unless they offer two diesel fuel types, they are now selling the ULSD. I don't any stations that put in a new tank to dispense a second diesel fuel type that will be totally gone by 2010.

I am in Louisiana and we see both kinds down here. Law says they must label pumps if it is ULSD to warn of possible engine harm.
It is my understanding that you will always be able to find the low sulphur 500ppm at truck stops because I was told the big rigs cannot use the ULSD. I have a 1996 chevy and a 2002 ford and will continue to run the 500ppm because that is what my engine is adjusted to. I also dont want to spend money adding additives for lubrication that I feel should be in the fuel anyway. I feel that would be like getting food at a restaurant but having to buy the silverware to eat it with. Ridiculous...
Anyway I am understanding that if you do not add lubriction additives to the ULSD that your seald and gaskets will fail over time in the older vehicles. I think it is all a ploy to make everyone get rid of the older vehicles.
MrTruck
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-01-06 5:44 PM (#53424 - in reply to #53071)

Elite Veteran

I think both of the 6-speed manual trannies from Dodge, GM and Ford are fine. GM is dropping the manual tranny for the new 07 HD which is the same tranny Ford uses.The new 6-speed Japanese auto with the Cummins 6.7L does sound tempting. Waited along time for Dodge to catch up on automatics, we'll see how this one holds up. The safe bet does look like buying the 2007 old diesels. But they'll run out as the factories start pushing the new low emission diesel trucks in February. My guess is in a couple months, you'll see warranty wars like we are use to seeing in rebate wars. Especially with Ford as they bet the farm (18 billion borrowed against most assets) on the success of the new 08 Super Duty. Most dealers I talk to aren't taking full allocations of the new trucks. They are scared of a 03 repeat. The only choice I see for Ford is a super warranty to get the confidence back.
racesarabhorses
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2007-01-06 9:09 PM (#53428 - in reply to #53424)

Veteran

Ford has to get its prices down.  They were several thousand more than the Ram, comparably equipped, thereby erasing any claimed payload or towing capability advantage very quickly; at least in my mind.  I would not have considered a Ford due to the 6.0, but if they had a truck I was more comfortable with I'd definitely have considered them if they were price competitive with Dodge.  I bleed Ford blue--this Dodge is my first departure from driving a Ford since I bought my first vehicle 10 years ago.

Mike

inIndiana
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2007-01-08 4:01 AM (#53496 - in reply to #53071)

Veteran

It dosen't matter when the engine was built.  We quit building the 5.9s in the middle of Dec., and had been building the 6.7s before that.  So some of the 6.7s (07s) were actually built in 06. I don't think it matters what year they are built, its what model year they are built for.  The 6.7s that were built in 06 are the same as is coming off the line now. (That is when we are running. Orders being pulled)