deep cell battery
acy
Reg. Oct 2006
Posted 2006-12-23 6:41 AM (#52785)
Subject: deep cell battery

Extreme Veteran

whats the best way to hook up a deep cell battery to the trailer wiring? I want to be able to use the lights with out the truck hooked up? any suggestions? thanks!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Broken Bit
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2006-12-23 10:50 AM (#52789 - in reply to #52785)
Subject: RE: deep cell battery

Veteran

I was kinda thinkin' about this too.  My question is weather or not a diode should be put in the "hot" wire before it gets to the deep cycle bat. on the trailer so it will keep it from backfeeding to the truck.  Seems like you would want the truck to be able to send a charge to the trailer bat. but not necissarily want a charge to be able to go the other way.  Not quite sure on this one, any thoughts?  And if that is the case, what kind of diode should be used?  And what the heck is a rectifier for?  I was lookin' at some diodes on the Radio Shack website and seen where some diodes have a rectifier built in with it.  Talk to y'all later...
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-12-23 11:34 AM (#52791 - in reply to #52789)
Subject: RE: deep cell battery

Expert

Originally written by Broken Bit on 2006-12-23 9:50 AM

My question is weather or not a diode should be put in the "hot" wire before it gets to the deep cycle bat. on the trailer so it will keep it from backfeeding to the truck. 

And if that is the case, what kind of diode should be used? 

And what the heck is a rectifier for?  I was lookin' at some diodes on the Radio Shack website and seen where some diodes have a rectifier built in with it. 

I would recommend a "Diode"  be installed. 

This site will answer a lot of your questions.  It has a wiring diagram for multiple batteries.  http://www.e-marine-inc.com/products/alternators/isolators.html

A diode will act as a rectifier (which converts alternating current to direct current) by blocking the flow of current in one direction but allowing current to flow in the other direction.  So a diode and rectifier basically perform the same function.