Are Bison Trailer's Good?
Wampusbaby
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2006-12-21 10:58 AM (#52726)
Subject: Are Bison Trailer's Good?

New User

Are bison trailers good trailers good? please let me know i am lookin to buy one!!!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
AbbyB
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2006-12-21 11:17 AM (#52728 - in reply to #52726)
Subject: RE: Are Bison Trailer's Good?

Veteran

Personally, I would keep looking.....
rider3
Reg. Sep 2006
Posted 2006-12-21 11:28 AM (#52731 - in reply to #52726)

Veteran

From what I've researched the steel ones aren't so bad but the aluminum is another story... believe there are threads on this brand.  Bottom line is you get what you pay for......

I have had excellent luck with Merhow and Logan Coach

bechack
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-12-21 12:39 PM (#52736 - in reply to #52726)

Veteran

I love my 06 Alumasport so far. Time will tell.

lostinohio
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2006-12-21 5:37 PM (#52743 - in reply to #52726)

Hi,

First, I don't know if your talking bumper pull or gooseneck. It seems(Bison's website) they just deal in gooseneck w/lqs exclusively. We bought a 2004 Alumasport 3horse slant bp so we can give info on that. I also heard Bison has new ownership since our purchase so  any info we provide could be different now. Overall we are happy with it and when purchasing it, we found it comparable to Keifer and Titan trailers. We did opt. for collapsable rear tack and 5200 pound axle upgrade. Only major complaint is quality of primer used, since we have had rust developing after 1st winter's use and had to remove and re paint. They should run the rump wall lining higher(not sure if newer ones have this). The trailer does pull nice, 17 year old daughter hauls with it, without problems. It is true you get what you pay for, but at the time in our area, it was the best trailer for the price at 3000-4000 dollars less than the all aluminum trailer. Although next trailer will be all aluminum, due to salt usage in Illinois and hauling to many winter shows. Good luck trailer shopping

calamityj
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2006-12-21 6:26 PM (#52744 - in reply to #52726)

Elite Veteran

In a word... junk.

N2ridin
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2006-12-21 6:41 PM (#52745 - in reply to #52726)

Elite Veteran

They are good trailers, I've had mine for 2 years now.  Bison and Dixie Horse and Mule here in Alabama are awesome to work with if you have trouble.  We don't live in a perfect world and there are good and bad things about every trailer made.  All I know is . . .  After buying my Bison and not spending 30K more for a comparable trailer, I have more money to buy other STUFF.  I don't think you'd be  unhappy with your purchase.

Crooked Creek Ranch
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2006-12-25 11:32 AM (#52847 - in reply to #52744)

New User

Would you please go into more detail about your dislikes for the Bison trailer.  I myself have been considering a Bison Stratus but I would sure be interested in hearing what you have to say.  Thanks!
PaintPony
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2006-12-26 12:52 AM (#52863 - in reply to #52726)

Veteran

I have a 2004 Alumasport and I'm very satisifed with it. I bought it new and have used it at least one or two weekends a month for most of the year.  I'm considering moving up to a 4H (currently have a 3H w/ 8' sw & slide) and the Bison's will be the first ones I look at if I decide to go bigger. They've had some issues in the past which can be found discussed in detail if you search this forum. However, I'm perfectly happy with mine and have noticed a LOT more of them parked in the camping area at the shows we go to. Leaking in the fiberglass roof is often the complaint but mine has an aluminum roof. We have had some issues with the joints in the LQ plumbing needing to be retightened but that's been pretty easy to resolve. It's not perfect and there are a few things I'd change in mine but there were things I didn't like about the "big" name trailers too. I was in Fletcher a couple of months ago and got the chance to walk through several on the lot there and found that on the new ones they've fixed most of the things I don't like about mine.  Other than continuing to use the same tiny little shower they've made a lot of improvements.

Anyone who wants to call them JUNK needs to take a look at the new ones and talk to the people pulling them...or give some specifics about why they are junk. from the folks I've talked to everyone is very happy with the value of this trailer. Especially given the price difference for similar trailers.

Edited by PaintPony 2006-12-26 1:11 AM
eb ubba52
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2006-12-26 11:55 PM (#52890 - in reply to #52744)

New User

bison, 3 horse,lq, slide , not junk as you speek of , xplain what junk is as in roadmaster

efaubert1
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2006-12-27 3:19 PM (#52921 - in reply to #52726)

Elite Veteran

I have personally owned 2 Bison trailers, still own a 1999 3h 8ft LQ Alumasport. The trailer isn't junk, but the roof has been an issue since the 2nd year. They use 2 piece fiberglass overlap on some of them, and the seam moves, breaks loose the caulk and therfore leaks. Once it starts you can only repair it and then fix it again a year later. So if your going to buy a Bison, make sure you don't get one that the seam of the fiberglass roof is over the LQ, because a leak in the horse compartment instead of my bathroom would be much better. Heck they put a full seam cap on mine, re-did the ridges, and it leaks less than 6 months later just sitting in the driveway. Oh well, I bought, and I can't afford to replace it while paying for college.
Cloud9
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2006-12-27 5:30 PM (#52929 - in reply to #52726)

Extreme Veteran

Saying Junk is just saying 'i don't know anything about this'.

I'm in my second Bison and I am completely happy with them. I have heard that the early steel Bison stock trailers rusted badly. But, so did the other three stock trailers we've had. Their experiment with the fibergalss panel was bad. They did leak. But they don't make that anymore.

I bought a 2003 Alumisport 3 horse w/ 8' LQ. We drove it all over the USA until I tore out much of the bottom on a submerged rock while fording a creek. Totally not the fault of the trailer. Bison couldn't have been nicer or better in getting it fixed. The first words out of them were "this won't cost you anyting. You're covered by the warranty." The experience was so good that we bought a 2005 Alumisport w/10' LQ and a slide out. It's like the Taj Mahal. All of the small things that I didn't like in the '03 had been upgraded in the '05. The Alumisport has a steel frame that is galvanealed and an aluminum frame.

I would certainly recommend the Bison trailer. They have recently been bought out by a big RV manufacturer which enables them to buy the LQ stuff at quantity prices. That means you get a lot more trailer for less money.
I bought both of mine at WrightWay in Hiawatha, Iowa. Good people to deal with.

Edited by Cloud9 2006-12-27 5:34 PM