Outlaw Trail Ride
Tim
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2006-12-21 9:23 AM (#52722)
Subject: Outlaw Trail Ride

Regular

For several years now, I've wanted to go on the week long Outlaw Trai
Ride out of Thermopolis, Wy. I've been on their website on many many occasions. I'm just about ready to bite the bullet and send the money for August of 2007. I'm looking for some feedback from anyone who has made the ride. Any Comments?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
AbbyB
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2006-12-21 11:31 AM (#52732 - in reply to #52722)
Subject: RE: Outlaw Trail Ride

Veteran

A friend & I went on it in '97.  We didn't take our own horses (unfortunately I was stuck w/an idiot to ride - that's the bad thing not knowing what you will get when you "rent a horse".)  The food was wonderful, the people were great (well, most of them were - there was one guy that was on a major eqo trip but I've heard he's no longer on the planning/working committee) & scenery was awesome.  The year we went the weather was unusual....it rained alot & it got COLD.  So make sure you go prepared for any kind of weather.  If you take your own horse, be sure they can deal w/being on a low picket line in close quarters w/strange horses.  (in some areas there are no trees, so even if you have your own highline, it won't do you any good.)  If you take grain, figure out a way to mark it/keep track of it - otherwise it goes missing alot.)  They supply the hay - so you get what they got  or you can bring your own & MAYBE you'll get it to use.  There are some outfitters that have now supplied horses for them for several yrs so if you chose to rent a horse, I think your chances of a better mount are better now.  The terrain gets pretty rough in some areas if you have a horse not used to that kind & want to take your own.  We met some great people on the ride....& I still am in contact w/a few of them from around the country & consider them good friends!  I can give you some ideas for things to take if you decide to go - PM me if interested.  Do I have any regrets from the trip?  NO.  Would I do it again?  Possibly, if I were looking for an organized trail ride again.  OH - also be sure you have a saddle that is very comfy to you & most of all, fits your horse CORRECTLY, along w/a top quality pad.  (I recommend all wool so it will breathe - don't want any synthetic crap out there).  You will spend some long days in the saddle....
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2006-12-21 10:48 PM (#52749 - in reply to #52722)

Expert

I didn't know the Outlaw trail was in Wyoming.  I'm more familar with the two rides held in Utah/

Crockett Dumas puts on a exception Outlaw Trail endurance ride. 5 days 250 miles across Southern Utah.

http://www.outlawtrail.com/

The other ride is in the Northeast Corner of Utah. It's not an endurance ride. So the distances are much more line with casual trail riders.

http://www.outlawtrailride.com/

Either ride offers Stunning scenery.

AbbyB
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2006-12-22 8:18 PM (#52777 - in reply to #52732)

Veteran

Their website is http://www.rideoutlawtrail.com/   It got me thinking so I went to ck out the current one.  They've changed it alot - the old one used to have some really cool pics on it - & several of them we ones I took when I went on it & gave to one of the guys that was on the committee!  The pic on the home page is the first night's camp.  I recognize the scenery but it was pouring down rain when we were in that spot! 

Dunoir
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2006-12-27 11:09 AM (#52913 - in reply to #52722)

Elite Veteran

I've done the ride twice, but through Equitour and the Outfitter was The Great Divide.  The horses were excellent, food was great, staff put tents up, etc.  We also rode to the Outlaw caves and did some serious climbing around exploring them which was neat, but difficult as the altitude got to us landlubbers.  I did these rides in '90 and '94 when I was in better shape than I am now.

The first time I did it was in May and it snowed on our last night, so I wholeheartedly agree about being ready for any kind of weather.  The second time was in Aug and it was short sleeve weather during the day and a light jacket at night. 

Wyoming has alot of gorgeous country and many neat places to ride and explore.   

heritagelanefarm
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2007-01-05 6:33 AM (#53319 - in reply to #52722)

Veteran

Hi Tim,

I have been on the Outlaw Trail Ride out of Thermopolis twice, once in '98 and again in 2005. There are a number of rides advertising as "Outlaw Ride," but the one out of Thermopolis is the ride I have been on twice. I would NOT recommend taking your own horse, especially if it happens to be hot, which it was in '98. Your horse may not be use to the altitude, constant climbing, and being among many other horses in sometimes tight quarters. In '98, we rented from "Wyoming Horses" out of Pavilion, Wyoming. We went to Pavilion early and picked out our horses, after a test ride. All 3 (they sent a extra) had physical problems and had to be pulled from the ride. The Mantle's then sent out horses from their personal string, and they were great! The second time we rented from Horseworks Wyoming (check out their website). Nate and Maecille Brown have been renting horses for this ride for MANY years. We liked my partner's horse so well we bought him! Shiek is an amazing horse, and after 115 miles on him in many different situations, you know what you are getting. Jeff drove from PA to pick him up.....that's how much we thought of our "rental." The horse I had was also great, "Stella," but we were not planning on purchasing one horse, let alone 2. Be aware, with that many people and horses there are accidents every year, usually due to "driver error."  The evening entertainment is great. It is NOT a dude ride, and not for inexperienced horses. Even though I have been involved with horses for over 50 years, I learned many new things around the campfire from the horsemen and women who attend this ride....kind of like a bus man's holiday (you may be too young to get that quip..ha! ha!). Yes, you do have to sign up early. Last year, while following their website, I think they were booked before Christmas! If you would like to talk further, send me a personal message, and I will give you my number.

Take Care,

Brenda

bbsmfg3
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2007-01-08 12:57 PM (#53519 - in reply to #53319)

Extreme Veteran

Another very popular ride like this one is the Renegade Ride:

http://www.renegaderides.com/index.htm