Modifying CM Trailer??
Rose66
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2006-12-21 2:58 AM (#52712)
Subject: Modifying CM Trailer??

Veteran

I'm thinking of buyin a used CM trailer that has a removeable rear tack with 60/40 doors. I want a rear tack but I need a totally open rear door once the rear tack is removed, i.e. no upright bar dividing the rear opening. This is because in addition to using this trailer to haul horses, I will use this trailer to haul 4-wheelers and the upright bar won't let me load a 4-wheeler. Is it possible to make this upright bar removeable? Perhaps by cutting it flush on the top and bottom and then using some sort of bolt or pin to lock it back in when needed. That way I could remove the rear tack, then remove the divider bar, load the 4-wheelers, put the divider bar back in and then close both rear doors. Any thoughts on this will be greatly appreciated.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Broken Bit
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2006-12-21 7:52 AM (#52714 - in reply to #52712)
Subject: RE: Modifying CM Trailer??

Veteran

Ya should be able to make somethin' work.  One of our Stidham trlrs. is set up just the way that you are describing.  The side wall of the rear tack is hinged, so that it can swing in towards the horse area, then you can remove the center post and you've got all sorts of room for loadin' tack and such and no scuffin' fenders and stirrups on things.  This particular wagon has mangers in it so we never use it for 4-wheelers and such, we just use the stock-combo for that kinda thing, but anyhow what you are talkin' about should be doable with a bit of fabricating.  Do your doors latch to the center post or have cam-latches that go to the top and bottom of the trlr.?  Whatever ya do know that it will void any warranty that you might have left, will have to be very strong so the stock don't break it traveling down the road, and if something does go wrong the reposibility will be on you for a failed modification.  Just some things to think about.  Good luck and I'll talk to y'all later....
Ardly
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2006-12-21 8:15 AM (#52715 - in reply to #52712)

Veteran

Rose66
Like broken bit stated this can and is done on some new trailers from the factory, or at least has been. Also like preveiously stated this must be a very  strong application which can withstand extreme pressure. If the door currently has a full top to bottom cam lock connecting on the trailer frame itself then I could see it being feasable, otherwise i'd think long and hard over the structural integrity of making that post removable. As I said,I realize that some trailers have been made this way from the manufacturer, but I would have to look them over well before feeling comfortable with the set-up. Just be sure that whatever you do can withstand the full force of a #1000 animal thrusting against it. Also it might be worthwhile reading to look at some of the not so distant threads on the issue of horses falling out of the back of trailers. Allthough it seems to be within everyones opinion as to how it happened, none the less it has happened. Just some things to consider.

Rose66
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2006-12-21 3:44 PM (#52741 - in reply to #52712)

Veteran

Thanks for the replies. The trailer I'm thinking of buying and doing this modification on is a CM 4 horse slant load steel trailer with dressing room. The rear door latches do not go from top to bottom, they use the middle divider bar to latch closed so I would not be able to close the rear without the divider bar in place. My husband was thinking of using the 3/4" spring loaded bolts sold on the following web page:

http://www.horsetraileraccessorystore.com/trailer_parts.htm

The picture of the 3/4" bolt is almost all the way down on the bottom of the page. He was thinking he could use one bolt at the top of the divider bar and one at the bottom. Any thoughts on this idea?

Thanks!
Rose66
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2006-12-22 9:17 PM (#52779 - in reply to #52712)

Veteran

Never mind on this modification. I just found out that this trailer's middle bar divider already removes from the factory. So that will work just perfect for what I need. Thanks for the replies though!