Saddle fit odyssey
cowgirl98034
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2006-11-23 1:07 PM (#51839)
Subject: Saddle fit odyssey

Extreme Veteran

I bought a new CircleY trail saddle 3 months ago and sadly have accepted that it doesn't fit my horse.  It was the first new saddle I have ever purchased, having always bought "used" in the past.  I had experienced help picking the right saddle too, or so I thought.  Now I am starting over and am going to try another direction, based on the loooong rides I do.  After reading for weeks and talking with dozens of endurance riders with Arabs, I am going to try a flexpanel saddle.  It's made by a guy who used to make saddles for orthoflex (many years ago when it was the original orthflex company).   I am hopeful that this is the end of my short odyssey, the saddle will be a good fit for my horse and he can have a healthy back, withers and shoulders.   Through all the reading, I found that saddle fit is a huge problem for lots of people.  I never had a problem with saddle fit or sore backs on my horses in the 35 years I have ridden, until now.  Maybe it's because I have been in the middle of researching saddle fit issues lately, but it seems like it is more pronounced in the last 3-5 years.    Anybody else notice this? 

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2006-11-24 8:38 AM (#51850 - in reply to #51839)
Subject: RE: Saddle fit odyssey

Expert

From what a saddle maker told me the promble has been around for a long time but people would blame there saddle pad for it. Now that there is more information out there, people are learning that it is the saddle that dose not fit and all the pad can not fix that ownly make it worse good hunting. I own a begian horse
hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-11-24 3:33 PM (#51861 - in reply to #51839)

Expert

Try www.crestridgesaddlery.com  

Edited by hounddog 2006-11-24 3:39 PM
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2006-11-24 5:40 PM (#51863 - in reply to #51839)

Ahhhh, the saddle quest.  Borrow any saddle you can find;  try them out......  Actually you probably were doing the right thing with buying used saddles.  Many times I've found that used can be a better deal,  saddle is already broken in, softened up.  Personally, I really like the Courbette saddles.  I ride a Tennesseean most of the time but have trouble putting it on my horse because it weighs 30 pounds, but it is an excellent saddle.  Good luck and happy shopping!
Jean F.
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2006-11-24 9:06 PM (#51869 - in reply to #51839)

Regular

I have noticed this phenomenon as well. I think my last horse was very forgiving, or I just lucked out with good fit with my cheap old saddle. My current mount is wider, and I've had saddle fit issues. He started getting fussy to saddle and mount. Not wanting to stand still for more than a minute. Head tossing. Then the white hairs showed up. I bought a used orthoflex saddle and it is the most comfortable saddle I've ever sat. My horse's behavior improved, but not one hundred percent. Then I had my saddle inspected and the flex mechanism was worn out, causing pressure points. I had the newest panel system retrofitted to my saddle at a conversion company down in Illinois. It took awhile for Sinclair's behavior to completely improve because it was learned behavior and it took him awhile to realize the saddle didn't bother him anymore. Now we are both comfortable! Good luck with your new saddle.
acy
Reg. Oct 2006
Posted 2006-11-30 5:48 PM (#52071 - in reply to #51839)

Extreme Veteran

what kind of horse do you have?  what body shape?   I agree w/ the other post- sometimes you do get a better deal with a used saddle, since they are already broken in.  your horse will change shape over the years too, with age and with the work he does.  you have to take that into conisderation.  Try out as many different saddles as you can! Altho I'm not anymore, I was into endurance and CTRs for over 20 years..  the arab gelding who eventually became my 100 mile horse went thru at least 6 saddles in 10+ years.   frustrating but it's a learning process.  Good luck w/ your search.  the flex trees work well w/ some horses.  most are very confortable for the rider but you have to find what will work best for both of you.  it also helps to watch a video of yourself riding to make sure you're balanced and even in the saddle. 
cowgirl98034
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2006-12-01 8:24 AM (#52085 - in reply to #52071)

Extreme Veteran

I have an Arab. He's about 14.2, 900-1000 lbs, and built like the horse in the Black Stallion movie with a short back and stocky. Many peolple ask me if he's half quarter horse. I don't feel he's all that stout, just not a dainty as some Arabs. He does have what some call mutton withers and a lot of shoulder movement when he trots.
acy
Reg. Oct 2006
Posted 2006-12-01 7:10 PM (#52105 - in reply to #52085)

Extreme Veteran

your arabian sounds typical of what a lot of them look like. He'll probably need a wide or x -wide tree. if the flex panal saddle dosn't work out email me and I maybe can help you find something that will. you might want to check on endurance.net (ridecamp archives) for more saddle fit info too.
Jean F.
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2006-12-02 11:49 PM (#52135 - in reply to #52085)

Regular

Be advised that a flex panel saddle is different than a flex tree.
I am not an advocate of flex tree saddles.
horsin around
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2006-12-05 7:28 PM (#52231 - in reply to #51839)

Extreme Veteran

I think some of it is that we're more educated and aware of saddle fitting.  I also think horses in general are bigger than horses years ago because of people are taking better care of their animals.  The old but goody saddles don't work as well with the horse sizes now days.

I feel your pain on finding the right saddle fit and finally I bought new and had one semi-custom made.  I finally found a tack shop with a very helpful and experience owner who had me bring my horse and he helped fit my saddle.

I can say I tried a flex tree and my horse was very sore after riding.  I also tried an Ortho-flex saddle and really liked it but didn't like the idea of the up keep because I don't have anyone local to inspect and repair if needed.   If you have the opportunity, I'd do a test ride with the flex tree saddle before buying.

cowgirl98034
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2006-12-05 9:26 PM (#52237 - in reply to #52231)

Extreme Veteran

The saddle I ordered is a flexpanel saddle, not a flex tree saddle. It should be here later this week... I have my fingers crossed that it's a good fit for my horse. This flexpanel saddle is said to not require the type of maintenance you are referring to; all I can do is try it and see.
horsin around
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2006-12-10 5:34 AM (#52387 - in reply to #51839)

Extreme Veteran

One article that I thought was good about saddle fitting I found on harmanyequine.com and then click on hands on saddle fitting.

hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-12-10 7:58 AM (#52391 - in reply to #51839)

Expert

I know I'll get flame for this and I never have used one but several pro trainers I've talked to over time said Orthro Flex saddles were the biggest waste of money they ever spent.Hated them.One said he was lucky to unload his to someone that didn't live near him.He rides and trains using Fallis Balance rides.He trains all breeds.

Edited by hounddog 2006-12-11 8:03 AM
windwalker2
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-12-11 7:33 AM (#52411 - in reply to #52391)

Extreme Veteran

Don't fret Houndog,,,,,,,I'm not going to jump ya on your post.  Never owned an Ortho Flex so I can't give my opinion one way or another...............(which is unusal for me).................. Heck I use a Bob Marshall "treeless" saddle and swear by em.................Sickrnsnot hasn't been around lately but he always comments......."Whatever Works"...........

Merry Christmas

dallyup31
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2006-12-17 2:22 PM (#52576 - in reply to #51839)

Have never owned an Ortho flex saddle but I did buy a Corrector saddle pad. My heel horse was getting very pronounced white spots on his withers from all the jerks he was taking. Been using it for 8 months now and no more soreness.
Dunoir
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2006-12-22 9:59 AM (#52762 - in reply to #51839)

Elite Veteran

I agree about the Ortho Flex saddles.  About 10 years ago I had a QH that was mutton withered, wide and very muscular. I was trying all kinds of different saddles, even drove him to a tack store that had saddles on consignment and tried every last saddle on him without luck.

I got sucked into the deal Ortho Flex was offerering if you paid $500, you could try a variety of saddles until you found one that fit, but I still had to pay the balance.  I started with a western model and while the saddle was made of top quality leather, it wasn't going to fit my horse (also heavy & very high which I didn't like) sent that one back (shipping was around $50-$60) .  Tried another model (an English one) and it rubbed the hair off his withers and I couldn't ride him for a couple weeks  sent that one back another $50...

Got a 3rd saddle - endurance cutback and guess what - didn't fit, but Ortho Flex said no more saddles, I was stuck with this one.    It is a lovely saddle and I have used it on several thinner horses and it does fit my TW, but I prefer to use the lighter treeless saddle that I also ending up using on the QH.  Pretty neat saddle as it has fit at least 20 different size horses and I am a stickler for saddle fit after what I went through with the QH.

So now I don't have a very good feeling about Ortho Flex especially when they advertise that their saddles will fit ANY horse. Not true.

cat_nap_2
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2006-12-26 11:10 PM (#52887 - in reply to #52085)

hello I've owned arab for over 23 years. If you put a wide saddle on that horse you will end up with a very upset animal and over time he will unload you for you have put a saddle on him that will sit on his back causing pain. Arabs have narrow withers and a short back. A semi quater will work with at least a 6 to 6 1/25 between the gullet. (if that is all you can afford) They have saddles that are built on an Arab tree. I suggest going that way. All kinds ranging from endurance to english to wesstern. You may have to pay extra but it's like buying shoes. you would not buy a size ten shoe if you wear a size eight and pay for it, would you? If you want to be exact then you need to have the saddle customized to fit that horse. If you don't want to pay the extra money for a good saddle my suggestion is when you try a saddle put it on your horse bare back and rock the saddle back and forth till it falls into it's correct placing. (two fingers from the shoulder blade) Make sure the area between the gullet and the horn is at least 3 1/2 to 4 inches for you loose an half inch when you sit on the saddle. Just type in arabian saddles for sale and do your job search on the web. Schnieder catalog has arab saddles for sale with lease options. Do your homework for a happy horse is a safe horse. cat_nap_2
daafy
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2006-12-27 8:56 AM (#52899 - in reply to #51839)

Regular

I learned from Crestridge Saddlery about a great method to determine saddle fit. First, knock off stickers and twigs,etc. from your horses back. But don't brush away the dirt. Next apply a thin white towel under the blanket/pad and saddle. Ride the horse until he works up a sweat. Remove the saddle and look at the white towel. There should be an inprint of how it fits your horse. No dirt or "white area's" could mean no contact...which is not good. They go into quite a lot of detail on their website on how to interpet the marks left on the towel. I bought one of their plantation saddles for my wide, low withered, short backed horse and it fits great. Don't forget a breast collar (helps prevent saddle roll with this type of back).
hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-12-27 9:46 AM (#52903 - in reply to #51839)

Expert

I came across their website about two years ago.Talked to a gal there that knew her Ps & Qs about saddle fit.I was VERY impressed.First company I've come across that wanted ALL involved(horses & People)happy with their product period.Thats why anytime a fit issue comes up I direct whom is inquiring to them.Lots of products at reasonable prices.I haven't bought from them but I'm going to get them to build me a roper this year.Been trying to get the feed store near me to become a dealer but he keeps ordering from others that have no info about fit etc.
cowgirl98034
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2007-01-01 11:02 AM (#53112 - in reply to #52903)

Extreme Veteran

Well, my new saddle arrived and I rode in it for the first time last week. The saddle was great! My horse was very happy and relaxed and didn't fret when asked to trot or canter. It is very comfortable for me too! One other thing I noticed is that he didn't stumble at all, which he had been doing with my old saddle. I am thrilled with my flexpannel saddle, and can't wait to do some long distance rides and endurance races with it. The website link to the folks selling them comes up if you type in flexpanel saddle in a search engine... Gary and Jill were so helpful and came out to check the saddle and fit for my horse (I only live 30 miles from them). Great way to start the new year!
horsin around
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2007-01-02 10:38 PM (#53225 - in reply to #51839)

Extreme Veteran

Congrats on the new saddle.  It always great when things work out the way you hoped and even better yet when it fits you and horse.  Have fun riding in comfort, I know it allowed me to have more relaxing rides when everything fit right for both of us.
go go
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-02-25 9:05 AM (#56254 - in reply to #51839)

I was wondering if you ever found you a saddle? I know most people have these problems, just most people aren't aware that it's there saddle and want to blame it on the horse. I saw a flex panel saddle on www.4asaddle.com and it's a used saddle in new condition if your still interested and haven't found you anything yet. Good luck.
go go
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-02-25 10:08 AM (#56259 - in reply to #51839)

I didn't give you the correct address for anybody who might be interested in the flex panel saddle. It is www.4asaddle.com .
bbsmfg3
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2007-02-25 12:46 PM (#56264 - in reply to #51839)

Extreme Veteran

These flex panel saddles are made my RL Watson in Fair Play, Mo. He is very good. If you have a difficult horse to fit. Take a bunch of pictures of the horses back and send them to him. He is good at making adjustments from the pictures. There are adjustments he can make in building the saddle.

Too many folks fit the saddle to a horse standing still, without consideration for the fact, that the horses back will change shape the minute it starts to move, and then again with each and every gait. That's why the flex panel was developed to accomodate the changing shape of the horses back.

I agree the flex trees are not what they are cracked up to be. The flex trees we see working, work because the tree is so stiff, it might as well be a rigid tree. The Steele trees fall in this category. I believe they just make the flex tree in order to please John Q Public, that think they have to have a flex tree saddle.
IcePonyGoddess
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2007-02-25 12:59 PM (#56268 - in reply to #51839)

Elite Veteran

going to try a flexpanel saddle. It's made by a guy who used to make saddles for orthoflex (many years ago when it was the original orthflex company)

which saddle are you getting? i ride in a Reactor Panel endurance saddle....LOVE IT. you may want to find a saddle fitter to help you with saddle fit. or invest in a Port Lewis Impression Pad to help you with saddle fit.another great site for flex panel saddles is http://www.american-flex.com/coverletter.htmif you need help with these saddles, let me know. what ever saddle you decide to buy, please make sure that you are getting a demo trial period and you use a credit card to purchase your saddle !!
longearsrule
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2007-02-25 9:04 PM (#56291 - in reply to #52135)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by Jean F. on 2006-12-02 11:49 PM

Be advised that a flex panel saddle is different than a flex tree.
I am not an advocate of flex tree saddles.

What is the problem with the flex tree saddles? Thought they were suppose to be good.
cowgirl98034
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2007-02-25 11:04 PM (#56296 - in reply to #56268)

Extreme Veteran

I have had my flexpanel saddle for a few months now and ridden a lot, even though it's been rainy, and I love my saddle! It is a great fit for my horse and for me. My horse now holds a trot, canter, whatever speed we choose, he doesn't keep breaking gait due to the discomfort of a bad fitting saddle. I didn't realize my other saddle was so uncomfortable for him until I saw the white hairs start to appear. First time I rode with a great fitting saddle I immediately noticed the difference in him. No more fidgeting when saddling either. You can find the saddles on the web - flexpanelsaddle.com is one of their links... they are good people.*
go go
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-02-27 8:17 AM (#56370 - in reply to #51839)

I have been doing alot of saddle looking and almost bought one of the flex tree saddles. Actually the store owner showed me a bare tree and stepped on it in the middle and he said he wasn't in favor of the flex tree. He said how would you like the bars to be moving in and out on your shoulder all day. In a way it makes since, but then other people seem to swear by them, so once again maybe it depends on how good the fit actually is. The flex panel saddle seems to make alot more since because it's the panel that moves and you don't have to worry about getting uneven pressure. There saddles from what I've seen on there web site www.4asaddle.com are very pretty saddles and they make alot of since. Not cheap but then good saddles usually aren't. They even have a used saddle section for people that need something right away and don't want to wait months to get a saddle. I'm still checking out all my options because I can't afford to have alot of saddles sitting in the barn that don't fit anybody. It just cost to much. Good luck to all hunting for that right saddle.
hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2007-02-27 9:19 AM (#56372 - in reply to #51839)

Expert

A pro trainer near me starts,retrains ALL breeds and mules.Been at it full time about 15 years.(he prefers T/B,appendix,warmbloods,LIKES mules)He and I discussed saddles in the past and he tried them all years back including Othro Flex(said they were junk) Mules and drafter crosses hard to fit and some Arabs.He has used this brand for a decade.Uses 5 or 6 daily with ones out bing rebuilt or every other year a new one coming in.Fallis (spelling wrong maybe)Balance Rides.He swears about fit and durability.He pays about 2k plus for them or did a couple years ago.

Edited by hounddog 2007-02-27 9:20 AM
Jean F.
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2007-03-05 9:11 PM (#56745 - in reply to #56291)

Regular

Longears, as GoGo said - there's a lack of support between the pommel and the cantle as I understand it?  I ride long hours in the saddle, so that wasn't a good choice for me. 

I know there are many opinions about the flex panel saddles.  I am not 100% sure on mine, but it is the best fit I've found so far.  The design makes sense to me.

osue077
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-03-07 10:15 PM (#56853 - in reply to #56745)

I am seriously considering one of these saddles, however I do a lot of work in the saddle. Between team roping and ranch work, does anyone know if any of their saddles will hold up to the abuse. I had posted in another thread that my horses back is flat and round and my other 2 saddles started to leave hot spots on his should last year (6yrsold) and I am leary of fistuation.
go go
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-03-08 8:35 AM (#56866 - in reply to #51839)

I'm not sure about all the things that you do in your riding but you can contact the man a 4asaddle.com and he would be the one that could tell you what they will or won't hold up to. I know they have alot of different saddles so I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't have something for roping and ranch work. I know they have a couple of different size trees that they put in there saddles too for the even larger horse. Good luck.
dallyup31
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2007-03-09 7:55 AM (#56912 - in reply to #51839)

I purchased a Corrector Pad last year for my roping horse.

I love it!!!! Works with any saddle and is made by the same guy who invented ortho flex saddles.
go go
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-03-09 11:49 AM (#56922 - in reply to #51839)

I've seen those corrector pads in the mag. and I wondered how good they was. Do you have to do anything special to them if you fill like you have a good fitting saddle but just want to make sure that the horse is as comfortable as possible. You hate to take any chances and find out after there's already a problem. I've been using the saddle I have for 6 years on the same horse and she doesn't have a mark on her and seems to be quit comfortable and beleive me she would let you know if she wasn't.
walkin
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2007-03-10 4:49 AM (#56940 - in reply to #51839)

Elite Veteran

I thought they stopped making fallis saddles.  I know of 3 people that have original ones.  Yes , they are very good saddles.  I personally like the ortho flex.
hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2007-03-10 5:40 AM (#56941 - in reply to #51839)

Expert

Fallis still has a ad running in Western Horseman.
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2007-03-10 9:23 AM (#56945 - in reply to #51839)

Just got the new endurance saddle made for National Bridle Shop by Big Horn. Going to put it on a horse today for sure. For walking horses, the Tennessean line (imo) is the best there is, fit and quality and at a decent price.
hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2007-03-10 1:07 PM (#56952 - in reply to #51839)

Expert

Well I hate Western gear on Walking/gaited horses.Always have.Their not a western horse.I ride a M&W Trooper and wife rides a Haggis Trooper.Simple saddle that works/fits mile after mile.Now on our our Qtr stock thats differant.
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2007-03-10 11:09 PM (#56977 - in reply to #51839)

Houndog;  the Haggis is as fine a saddle as they come; I just like the added security of the western style pommel; as far as looks tho I like a saddle horse in english gear...... saddle suit  and all..........

Edited by rose 2007-03-10 11:11 PM
hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2007-03-11 4:49 AM (#56978 - in reply to #51839)

Expert

I underswtand. I refuse to show our Tobi WALKING horse stallion in SSHBEA shoes because of the Western gear,.He's being shown in Park Performance.The only Tobi so far in fields of solids.
IcePonyGoddess
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2007-03-11 5:54 PM (#57007 - in reply to #56912)

Elite Veteran

Originally written by dallyup31 on 2007-03-09 7:55 AM

I purchased a Corrector Pad last year for my roping horse. I love it!!!! Works with any saddle and is made by the same guy who invented ortho flex saddles.
Keep in mind that a corrector pad will not "correct" an ill fitting saddle. The saddle should have a fairly good fit to begin with.
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2007-03-11 10:48 PM (#57024 - in reply to #51839)

Houndog: I rode the Tennessean endurance saddle today and it is comfy (will be better once I have the fenders softened up and turned; it's now in my den with my cane thru the stirrups, and it came with the enduro with thick pads stirrups). 5" cantle really felt good; nice pocket. My boy buggered at one of our dogs (go figure) and I didn't even move in the saddle. I have often wondered why sshbea is western only.... a lit up horse with english and a brown or black saddle suit would look good, I think. Oh well, just my op which with 5 bucks will get a cup of coffee!
hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2007-03-12 5:05 AM (#57026 - in reply to #51839)

Expert

Well SSHBEA show stuff looks stupid.A nice steping gaited horse,long shank bits,long toes,spurs,chaps and most carry a english crop.These type horses were bred as high headed nice stepping means of transportation.Not a work or cow type.My Tobis are Walking horses I just HAPPEN to register them with SSHBEA whom I don't care for very much.Wife and I have discussed in the past that really wouldn't bother us not to reg.them SSHBEA.Its like the Pinto reg.really have no need to mess with such.We show ONE stud in Twhbea shows and want him SOLD.That monthly board/train/show bill is such a waste of good money.We also refuse to play with the Tenn.crowd where most SSHBEA shows are held.Sorry for the HIJACK.Back to SADDLE FIT.