Calico---any problems besides paint?
shorthorse
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2006-10-29 8:02 PM (#50803)
Subject: Calico---any problems besides paint?

Hi....I'm looking at Calico 2 horse slant or 12 ft stock trailers....will be only hauling 40 miles or less per trip, maybe twice a month.   Have one pony (13 hands, 750 lbs.) and might also haul friend's horse (15 hands, 1100 lbs.)   I know Calico's paint leaves something to be desired, but what about safety?  I just want something reasonably sturdy that will give the horses a decent ride.  Thanks in advance.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
ridinhigh
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2006-10-30 7:05 AM (#50808 - in reply to #50803)
Subject: RE: Calico---any problems besides paint?

Very well built.  Can't go wrong for the money.  Just keep up with the paint and you'll be fine.  It's all in how you care for it.
lazyj70
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2007-03-04 6:48 PM (#56703 - in reply to #50803)

Your right on Riden' high.  Back in 2000 Calico switched paints from Valspar to Jones-Blair.  Needless to say the Jones-Blair paint was terrible.  So in about 2002 Calico started getting lots of calls about the paint cracking and peeling off.  So they did what any reputable company would do and started repainting all of these trailers painted with the Jones-Blair paint free of charge for their customers, and switched back to the Valspar paint.  Calico now uses Valspar High Solids Acrylic Enamel which is the same paint alot of the more expenisve brands use and thus the problem was solved and Calico learned a very expensive lesson on painting (to the tune of $350,000).  The lesson is if it's not broke don't fix it.  Calico is a reputable brand that does stand behind their product.  Calico Trailers are not the fanciest trailers on the market but they are the best trailer on the market for your dollar.  By the way I happen to know all of this because I am the Executive Vice President of Calico Trailer Mfg. Co. Inc. and I use Calico Trailers on my cattle farm daily.  I belive in our product and it's place in the market.  We do not market our trailers as high end luxury trailers but as well built inexpensive trailers that will last a lifetime if their taken care of properly.  Thanks for letting me set the record straight about our paint problems of the past and I hope you will consider Calico upon your next trailer purchase.  Sincerly Sean Johnson, Calico Trailer Mfg. Co. Inc.

Edited by lazyj70 2007-03-07 8:54 PM
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2007-03-05 7:22 PM (#56737 - in reply to #50803)

Expert

All of the Calico trailers that I have ever seen have been well built trailers for the money.They are a solid trailer.