Is it safe, or isn't it?
wasteofpassion
Reg. Oct 2006
Posted 2006-10-11 6:55 PM (#49922)
Subject: Is it safe, or isn't it?

New User

Hi. I just joined because I have some questions.

I'm 18 years old and somewhat "new" to the horse world. I've been riding for a year and I've owned my horse since March. Because of this, I do not have my own trailer, yet. But hopefully soon I may be in the market to buy one.

My mother and grandfather refuse to believe me that their vehicles are not meant for pulling horse trailers safely.

My mother drives a Jeep Grand Cherokee, I'm not sure on the year but it's "newer" as in, made since 2000. She's DEAD convinced it can haul safely, but I know it can't. Here's a picture: http://www.nctd.com/01/01grandcherokee.jpg

My grandfather has 1996 F-150, older model, "sport" addition. I believe it's too small to haul safely. Here's a picture so people understand better it's looks. http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com//media/generations/ford.fseries/91.ford.f150xlregcab

So, please tell me, am I right, or can their cars really haul safely?

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
cowboyup3371
Reg. Sep 2006
Posted 2006-10-11 7:20 PM (#49923 - in reply to #49922)
Subject: RE: Is it safe, or isn't it?

As long as you pay attention to your max weight allowances, I believe either vehicle can pull a small two horse BP trailer.  In fact, although I couldn't see you F150 pic, I know of many people who do so with the same kind of pickup.
siseley
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2006-10-11 7:29 PM (#49925 - in reply to #49922)

Extreme Veteran

Well the truth is, the truck may be...

That said, it is marginal, as it is too lite in the frame and suspension dept. But, if you were only towing one horse, and had really good brakes on the trailer, it may be ok for local trips. It is not the power of the engines, it is the strength of frame and ability to flex. Lots of folks get by for a time with a half ton truck, and soon find it is really stressing out their trannys and the bumper is dragging too low. The Cherokee is a no no!!  Too light, and not a heavy frame at all!! The trailer will push the car around, and you don't want that with "LIVE" cargo.

Of course this is my opinion, and like always, everyone has one...

In my opinion, a 3/4 ton is minimum for towing "Live" cargo, it has bigger wheels, tires, and heavier frame, springs, and suspension.

hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-10-11 7:46 PM (#49926 - in reply to #49922)

Expert

Is eaither vehicle a V8 or 6 cyls? What gearing are they? The needed info can be had through the manufacture.If correctly equiped eaither should handle a two horse trailer with correct hitch.But eaither vehicle needs the right running gear in them.Both the Jeep and Ford come with a few differant engines and gear ratios.
deranger
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2006-10-12 5:36 AM (#49948 - in reply to #49922)

Elite Veteran

Please remember, this is just my opinion. I see people pulling 2 horse BP trailers all the time with Ford Broncos. A Bronco is just a 150 p/up with a a really short wheel base. Years ago, I pulled trailers all the time with a 1985 Ford Bronco with a six cylinder engine and a manual transmission.  I liked pulling with Bronco since it was a 4x4, short wheel base means tighter turning area and so on. The ride leaves a lot to be desired since short wheel base means getting a lot of rocking motion going down the highway. I put a heavy receiver type hitch on the Bronco, a good brake controller, heavied up the rear suspension a little by adding air shocks, made sure the trailer brakes were in excellent condition and down the road we'd go. Just my thoughts. Happy trails.
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-10-12 7:08 AM (#49951 - in reply to #49922)

Expert

Originally written by wasteofpassion on 2006-10-11 6:55 PM

Hi. I just joined because I have some questions.

I'm 18 years old and somewhat "new" to the horse world. I've been riding for a year and I've owned my horse since March. Because of this, I do not have my own trailer, yet. But hopefully soon I may be in the market to buy one.

My mother and grandfather refuse to believe me that their vehicles are not meant for pulling horse trailers safely.

My mother drives a Jeep Grand Cherokee, I'm not sure on the year but it's "newer" as in, made since 2000. She's DEAD convinced it can haul safely, but I know it can't. Here's a picture: http://www.nctd.com/01/01grandcherokee.jpg

My grandfather has 1996 F-150, older model, "sport" addition. I believe it's too small to haul safely. Here's a picture so people understand better it's looks. http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com//media/generations/ford.fseries/91.ford.f150xlregcab

So, please tell me, am I right, or can their cars really haul safely?

Hi and Welcome to the Forum.

Yes, THEY are right.
Other than getting into the middle of a family spat, how else can we help you ?

Horse Crazy
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2006-10-12 7:35 AM (#49952 - in reply to #49922)

Regular

Ditto,

The jeep is a no no!!  The F-150 will get you buy for a while but you are going to need something bigger for pulling horses.

SHMANN
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2006-10-12 8:26 AM (#49959 - in reply to #49922)

Veteran

Hi - and welcome -

I read through the answers to your question, and I think in general you can get a good picture of what is safe, and/or practical by using manufacturer guidlines.

I saw a couple responses that indicate the Grand Cherokee is a no-go for pulling a horse trailer.  I don't think that is entirely correct, but safety depends on so many things - what condition is the Cherokee in?, does it have a tow package?, what are you planning to pull?  Mr. Truck has a review of the GC as a towing vehicle, and it really is fine for a small 2H bumper pull set-up, (he tested a V8 model).   I've personally got a lot of experience with a GC and towing a 2800lb + camper (no trailer brakes) throughout New England and much of Canada. This sure isn't a horse trailer, but it pulled fine, stopped fine, and never felt overloaded in any way - and it's the 6cyl Laredo model. 

Good Luck with your riding -

Steve

SLICKRNSNOT
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2006-10-12 8:46 AM (#49961 - in reply to #49922)

Elite Veteran

Welcome to the forum.

I think if you do some lookin you will find what you are lookin for.When I purchased a 2 horse Logan trailer a few years ago,there was a photo of a jeep cherokee pulling it.I pulled it with a F250 and a Toyota tundra Pickup.

Check your vehicle tow ratings and hitch ratings.Be sure you have good brake controller and enough horsepower to pull it.Take in to consideration the size of your horse, or horses plus all your gear.

cowby
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2006-10-12 11:46 AM (#49987 - in reply to #49922)

The thing to remember in saftey is  how you drive, not what you drive.

In this day and age I load up my dodge 3/4 ton with my 3 horse goosneck, 3 horses in it all gear for 5 days and top the pass (ele 9500) at 70 mph.  But I remember when we would load 2 horses in back of the truck w/racks, then put 4-5 horses in a 4 horse bummper pull, and head up the mountain to gather cattle. 

The truck is your best bet. Put a reciever hitch on it, have it checked mechanically, and make sure the trailer has brakes...

Cowby 

Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-10-12 6:42 PM (#50016 - in reply to #49922)

Expert

I think we're getting dragged into a family spat.
If the teen wants to not use Mom's SUV or Grampa's F150, just "BECAUSE"
see Plan B.

Plan B:
Teen could put up $20K to $40K of their own money and buy themself a truck.
We can definitely help with choosing one.

deranger
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2006-10-13 6:59 AM (#50038 - in reply to #50016)

Elite Veteran

Originally written by Reg on 2006-10-12 7:42 PM

I think we're getting dragged into a family spat. If the teen wants to not use Mom's SUV or Grampa's F150, just "BECAUSE" see Plan B. Plan B: Teen could put up $20K to $40K of their own money and buy themself a truck. We can definitely help with choosing one.

Reg, IMHO I don't see how "we" are getting dragged into a family spat? That is, unless you have a mouse in your pocket and that would constitute the "we."

Once again, we have a "newbie" asking for advice from people with experience and expertice in a certain arena of life.  If you read some of the posts that people have offered, you will see there are more "pro" than "con" answers to her question about the choice of tow vehicles she asked about at this time.

You said, "we can definitely help with choosing one" and if you are that willing to help with choosing one, maybe you are just as willing to help pay for one!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?  Well, you and your mouse anyway, but not I.

When you refer to someone asking for advice as "the teen" sends a clear message.  Painting a verbal picture with "BECAUSE" is not a message that I want to be included in the "we" part of this thread. 

When you are responding to a "newbie" in a caustic and abrasive manner please refer to yourself in the singular in the future.

Happy trails.

ntxkboy
Reg. Sep 2006
Posted 2006-10-13 7:47 AM (#50042 - in reply to #49922)

From an old guys take on the matter:  no I don't think the Jeep Grand Cherokee is suitable.  The jeep of today is not built like the Grand Cherokee of the middle 80's (then it was about the size of what a Yukon is now) and built to haul with the proper frame hitch.  RE: F-150 - with the proper gearing, tranny, undercarriage, frame hitch, braking system, motor size it can be done.

The one thing not given was where is the writer from?  If she lives in the plains states and is not going to be long hauling, the F-150 might be suitable for the condition.  I firmly believe your environment has a lot to do with what you haul with ....

My two-cents worth...

dressager
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-10-14 8:26 PM (#50103 - in reply to #49922)

Here is what I can tell you.  A friend of mine pulled her 2 horse Logan (steel) trailer for years with her GC- it looked just like the one in your picture, but her GC must have been a '97 or a '98.  She had a three year lease and turned it back in in 2001 but never had any problems to my knowledge.  She probably hauled a max of two hours per trip and probably anywhere btwn. 6-12 times a year.  I can't speak for what kind of towing package she had, but I do know she had sway bars.