RV Hitch
2Jakes
Reg. Oct 2006
Posted 2006-10-06 4:40 PM (#49728)
Subject: RV Hitch

New User

Hey all you horse trailer towing RV'ers, I need HELP! I have a 24' Class C RV with a good sturdy frame hitch (6500lb capacity with wt. distributing hitch). My trailer is a 2 horse BP w/DR, V-nose, with weight distributing hitch, 5000lbs fully loaded (which it seldom is). My problem is that the receiver end is tucked back under the bumper, which is maybe a 4-5" setback. This puts my hitch really close to the RV and makes turning tight a risky idea. My questions are: 1) Will a 7-8" receiver extender be a safe solution to my problem? 2) Will I lose an appreciable amount of strength in the hitch by putting in a minimal extension, given that my equipment has a decent surplus of capacity to begin with? I need to get this rig set up sooner rather than later, this problem was unexpected. Thanks in advance for your ideas and input!!

Lisa (2Jakes)

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2006-10-07 8:16 PM (#49747 - in reply to #49728)
Subject: RE: RV Hitch

Expert

i dont have an rv, but physics pricipals are still in effect.

1.  i doubt it would be a safe solution.

2.  a 7-8" extension will probably reduce the receiver capacity by 50%.  check with the manufacturer to be sure.

i suspect a trip to the local welding/hitch shop for some custom work would be the safest course of action.  good luck.

2Jakes
Reg. Oct 2006
Posted 2006-10-08 4:27 AM (#49755 - in reply to #49728)
Subject: RE: RV Hitch

New User

Thanks!

As it turns out I found a knowledgeable neighbor and he said it should be fine like it is and he was right. There is no interference even turning as tight as teh RV can turn I have like 10" to spare so I was worrying for nothing. We'll be all set for our trip to your beautiful state next week!

Happy trails!