Bear Branch Ranch Resort
CNJ-QHORSES
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2006-09-22 8:15 AM (#48943)
Subject: Bear Branch Ranch Resort

Has anyone been to Bear Branch Resort recently?  Just curious, we are going in a couple weeks and were wondering what it was like.  Had some friends who went a couple of years ago and were pretty negative about the place....but have seen other posts on this site from other folks that really like it?  I guess we will find out, but were wondering if anyone had been there just recently?  Did they like the people that run it? Is the facility clean, and importantly what are the stalls like?  Any info would be appreciated.  Thanks
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
appy4me
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2006-09-22 11:57 AM (#48955 - in reply to #48943)
Subject: RE: Bear Branch Ranch Resort

Veteran

Well, we were there in June, and didn't stay at Bear Branch, but rode through.  We stayed at Hayes canyon, and were sooooo glad we weren't at BB!!!  The sites at Bear Branch are small, crowded and no corrals!! Hayes is cheaper, cleaner, and provides corrals with each site at no extra charge.  We drove over there to check out the tack shop, but it was not open.  They do say that the resturant has great catfish, but nothing else I heard would make me stay there. 

I had reservations there and cancelled them a week before our trip and went to Hayes!

Good luck, either way the riding is AWESOME!!!

Zorz
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2006-09-23 11:29 AM (#48993 - in reply to #48943)

We ride that area a lot. I would never stay at Bear Branch. Hayes is a much nicer camp ground. Change your reservation, will be glad you did.
Paints
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2006-09-23 9:52 PM (#49012 - in reply to #48943)

Veteran

We stayed at Bear Branch last year.Is much nicer than Hayes Canyon an MUCH cleaner too.I have heard H.C. has new owners.So hopefully is better cleaner(did remind so of old trailer park)JMHO.Trail Rider magazine has written up place as top place must stay at etc.So you should really give it try.Has so much more to offer campers.Happy Trails
appy4me
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2006-09-24 10:53 AM (#49028 - in reply to #48943)

Veteran

Yes, Paints is right, Hayes did get new ownership. WOW, it's great!! Don't get me wrong Bear Branch isn't some nasty place or filthy either, just for the money Hayes is much better. If you like open sites (no trees) and close to the next person, BB is fine:-) But if you like nice shaded (not that important in Oct) pretty spots, Hayes is the place. I wanted a corral at BB, it would be an additional 25.00/night. AND, the corral isn't close to your campsight. Guess it just depends on the person, and perhaps you'll have to see for yourself. I didn't stay at Hayes before the new owners took over, but heard it was bad. It's not anymore!!! If you decide to stay at BB, ride through Hayes and see for yourself. Like I said, either way the riding will be great! BB does have some nice sites on the hillside driving up into the campground. Just noticed that the majority of the sites are up on the hill and close together.
Good Luck
CNJ-QHORSES
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2006-09-24 5:06 PM (#49049 - in reply to #48943)
Subject: RE: Bear Branch Ranch Resort-any thoughts, anyone?

I appreciate the responses received so far regarding Bear Branch.  I still have mixed feeling regarding the facilities, owners, etc,  based on reviews from this site as well as others, but plan on taking the advice offered and see what will be.  Either way we are looking forward to riding in the Shawnee, now if only I could navigate better with the GPS.

mommamarsh
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2006-09-25 12:34 AM (#49066 - in reply to #48943)

I stayed at Hayes Canyon in May and really liked it.They will give you a map and it is fairly easy to follow.Don't know what it was like before,but was pleased with it now.The owners were very nice ,even at 6:00 am when my mare decided to explore on her own!!Where ever you go,you will enjoy the Shawnee.What weekend will you all be arriving? I live only an hour a way and would enjoy coming up and riding with you. Unless,it is the weekend I am headed out your way! Oct.14th.If it is,will wave when we pass!?!

CNJ-QHORSES
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2006-09-25 8:21 AM (#49082 - in reply to #49066)

We will be there the first weekend in October.  Which campground are you going to? 
Dwight
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2006-09-25 9:55 AM (#49086 - in reply to #48943)

Extreme Veteran

One Horse Gap Campground is also in the Shawnee. We went there this spring and just loved it. It is a small, family owned camp and the owners are so nice and everything was spotless!

Went to BB about 5 years ago and was not impressed. We stayed in one of the little cabins and is was not clean - had to go to the office and ask for a broom to sweep it out because there were 100s of dead ladybugs. The barn was nice but not centrally located as with most places. The trails were not marked and we got lost...repeatedly. The tack shop was not open the entire time we were there.

If it hadn't been for some friends wanting to ride the Shawnee, we probably would not have gone back to Ill at all. But we found OHG on the net and decided to give it a try and are so glad we did. We'd go back to OHG any time but will not return to BB.

RIDE ON!

mommamarsh
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2006-09-28 11:48 PM (#49315 - in reply to #49082)

Hayes Canyon and BB are very close to one another. Hayes has a day ride area,if you all decide to go there.Let me know where you all decide to stay and I'll see if they would allow me to come up for the day and ride with you all.Have a little KMSH that needs riding before I go to MO. Since our bottom field was 2 ft+ underwater last weekend,I sort of need to find drier ground than here on the farm!!Don't forget you Ill permit number.Your vet can call Ill Dept of Ag and get one or you can call with your health cert.number and get one.It's free but just another hassle.

Marsha

mytwhbuddy
Reg. Oct 2006
Posted 2006-10-15 12:57 PM (#50107 - in reply to #48943)

New User

Did you enjoy your stay at Bear Branch??  My husband and I just returned last week and we hated it. The store was never opened, we had to find a number to call theowner when we arrived. It was very poorly ran we thought... Our "Cabin" consisted of a single wide trailer with wood on the front!!!  We won't go back there! 
CNJ-QHORSES
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2006-10-15 2:47 PM (#50109 - in reply to #50107)

We stayed Friday and Saturday and left Sunday (it was planned that way).  We know what you mean when you say about the cabins. They look interesting on the outside but around the back, they are what you said-a trailer.  We have a LQ horse trailer, so have no reference other than what the cabins looked like from the outside.  Our stay was okay, certainly not the best place we have stayed, but not the worst either. Pretty crowded really, but the other camp grounds close to there seemed crowed too.  Stalls were pipe corrals, close to other corrals and difficult to open and close.  But our horses were safe the time we were there, were not hurt or injured in anyway which was important to us.  Met some really super nice folks, rode some great trails and really enjoyed riding with***Marsha*** and her Chessie (KMH).  Would we go back?? Maybe in a pinch, but really want to try Circle B or Hayes Campground.  The owner was accessible to us and the store was open when we were there.  Check in could use  improvement (there were several trailers trying to come in at the same time) and only one person to check everyone in.  Maps were pretty useless to us and not worth the paper it was printed on, but we still managed to get to see some really neat areas (thanks to all that helped us navigate).  For us BB wasn't so bad.  Maybe we would say differently if we had stayed longer, don't really know. So, I guess it is in all in your perspective.  We heard people say that were there either they would never come back or they have been back for several years in a row.  So, we would have to say it could have been worse for us. Sorry, to hear that your stay was bad, wish it could have been better for your sake.  But the riding was awesome, wasn't it?  That is what it is all about anyway...isn't it?