value of DIY LQ
rkranchgirl
Reg. Aug 2005
Posted 2006-09-21 10:16 AM (#48883)
Subject: value of DIY LQ

Regular

I am nearing completion of my little project (cant wait to post pics because I am beyond pleased with how it it turning out!!!) but I am curious.  Searching past threads for more info, there are many of us doing our own LQ's.  Why does it seem that all I hear is that you won't get anything out of it when you are done.  Don't get me wrong, I think my trailer is nice, but not to the standard of some of the higher end ones, so I would never think it is worth a factory LQ, but shouldn't it increase the value by some amount?  All of the posts are questions on how to do things correctly, so its not like everything is a hack job.  In fact, we are using alot of the same materials, if not better, than conversion companies use.  Really, the last thing on my mind is selling this trailer, I have LOVED doing it myself, I take a lot of pride in that fact, just wondering if it will really appreciate the value of my trailer.  Has anyone out there bought homemade LQ's?  The few posts I have seen mentioning this seem to be problem trailers.  Any good experiences out there?

Just curious!!!  Thanks!

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
tkjcut
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2006-09-21 10:35 AM (#48884 - in reply to #48883)
Subject: RE: value of DIY LQ

I would start by saying I have done My own LQ. and would compare the quality to anyones. Having worked as a carpenter (all phases) and having built and remodeled several homes, I would say don't discount Your work. I'm sure there is at least SOME added value to Your trailer. I would suppose some of the posts may be from LQ manufacturers trying to discourage DIY. NOT saying all are, and NOT trying to start a bunch of static on this site. I think Most people on here are pretty reasonable. Anyway just My opinion. Thanks
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-09-21 10:43 AM (#48885 - in reply to #48883)

Expert

The biggest prolem with anything DIY is the unknown when you're buying it.  How does a buyer know that you used the best materials and installed them correctly?  Can't see behind the walls. Can't know how the materials were put together.  Unless the buyer knows the seller and trusts their knowledge, workmanship, and materials... the DIY discount applies when buying anything DIY... unless the DIY'er has an international reputation for the work.

eg.. I'd let my doctor do surgery on my leg... But I won't trust his electrical wiring on my trailer.

HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2006-09-21 2:00 PM (#48892 - in reply to #48883)

Expert

I quess the real answer would be what can you get someone to give for the trailer in question. I do my own trailers with the intention of selling them. The last trailer I sold was a 2003 Kiefer Built X-380, that is an 11ft. shortwall trailer, I sold it for $32K with DIY LQ. That may be a thousand or two below what the same trailer would sell for on a dealers lot. I currently am finishing up a 1996 4 Star with 14ft. shortwall it will be for sale for about $33K, it has new LQ with copper sinks and soft wall/ceiling. Trailer is in line with what it would sell for on dealers lot. If the LQ is done and looks like a pro done it, it will sell for comprable money, if it looks like a cheap trailer, it will be.
rkranchgirl
Reg. Aug 2005
Posted 2006-09-21 3:20 PM (#48895 - in reply to #48883)

Regular

So it sounds like there is hope out there. Like I said, I am not interested in selling it at this point, just curious....

The absolute best compliment I have gotten so far was when someone with a factory finished 4 star came in and said it looked like a rich trailer. That at least kept me going for a few more weeks with a smile in there!!
tkjcut
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2006-09-21 3:25 PM (#48896 - in reply to #48883)

My point exactly. I think sometimes if You are doing Your own You might take more care than normal. There are a lot of very talented people out there who are able to look at how something is done and figure it out, and some can with a little instruction do as good a job as anyone. Again not to take anything away from the pro's but, from some of the questions I've seen on here there are some pretty smart folks out there.
tkjcut
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2006-09-21 3:28 PM (#48897 - in reply to #48883)

Almost forgot, You MUST know Your own limitations. Had someone tell Me how to route My wiring and They hooked it up for Me.
rkranchgirl
Reg. Aug 2005
Posted 2006-09-21 3:41 PM (#48899 - in reply to #48883)

Regular

COMPLETELY agree. Thank goodness for electrician friends. I am good with a saw but scary with current!!!
arlene21
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2006-09-21 5:08 PM (#48905 - in reply to #48883)

Veteran

The '04 that I just purchased has a LQ that was installed by a former  carpenter in North Carolina. He had originally been doing it for friends and it became a full time business. If I had been one of his first customers, I bet I would have been able to get a deal; however, I purchased it used and with the reputation this guy has developed, I paid for his work. It just takes some time to prove your workmanship is good.
bluecow8
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-09-21 6:35 PM (#48911 - in reply to #48883)

I think the problem with DIY lq's is that they aren't RVIA or TR Arnold certified.  I've heard that some campgrounds don't allow anything but certified trailers though I have NEVER had anyone check.  I could see why a dealer does not want to resell a homemade LQ , if they aren't certified they have no way of knowing if they are up to certification standards and don't want the liability.  Personally, I wouldn't purchase a homemade LQ for the same reason, don't think I could sleep without knowing for certain that the propane line, electrical, etc... was done to certain standards for conversions.
maccwall
Reg. May 2004
Posted 2006-09-21 6:39 PM (#48912 - in reply to #48892)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by HWBar on 2006-09-21 2:00 PM

If the LQ is done and looks like a pro done it, it will sell for comprable money, if it looks like a cheap trailer, it will be.

Have to agree with HWBar. His quote says it all. I've seen some wonderful DIY jobs and I've seen some really bad ones.

tkjcut
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2006-09-21 10:52 PM (#48931 - in reply to #48883)

My contention is, with the exception of elect. there should be no difference in plumbing, propane, ect. between a LQ, RV, or a home. They work or They don't.If the proper questions are asked before purchase You can pretty much tell if it was done right. Electrical is the most critical IMO. Have a friend who's horse was electrocuted stepping out of trailer on a rainy day because of a short to ground.(she touched side of trailer while back foot was in a puddle) I've seen a few factory conversions I wasn't to impressed with.I've not had any trouble getting ins. or anything else with Mine.As the Man said, if it looks bad it probably is.
HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2006-09-22 5:47 AM (#48937 - in reply to #48883)

Expert

As far as the RVIA or TR Arnold goes, I have camped all over central US in horse camps and Normal campgrounds. I have never been asked to show any proof of certification. I think that is one of the myths about DIY LQ's that the dealers have started. I have seen campers run 2 100' extension cords together at state parks and nobody says anything. I have a brother-in-law with a Merhow trailer with Factory LQ and no certification stickers on it due to it being repainted. I think the gate employee is looking more for the rent than a sticker.