Poll Mangers vs. width of trailer
Horse Crazy
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2006-09-18 12:41 PM (#48712)
Subject: Mangers vs. width of trailer

Regular

Good afternoon everyone,

I have found a 4-star trailer that fits our budget. However this trailer has mangers and is only 7' wide. 2 of our Qtr horses are a pretty good size. 15.3 and 16 hands. We have been hauling them in our Ponderosa for several years. They do just fine but we had said if we got a new trailer with mangers it would have to be 7'6" or 8' wide. Our Ponderosa is only 6' wide. Does anyone know how wide the mangers are? I don't want my horses to be cramped in their new ride. We need to make up our minds before this trailer gets sold. PLEASE HELP ME

Thank You

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2006-09-18 1:38 PM (#48717 - in reply to #48712)
Subject: RE: Mangers vs. width of trailer

Expert

I would have to pass on those mangers. Just gives something for the horse to rub on or climb up on-into. Plus, if you don't keep them cleaned out, they will start to disintergrate from the salt in the feed and "slobber" residue. They may be OK for some people, but not for me. The wider the better!
Diamond D Shane
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2006-09-18 1:40 PM (#48718 - in reply to #48712)

most mangers in a 7 wide trailer are 14 to 18" wide depending on the different manufactures. i have a 7' wide trailer with mangers and i own a 16'2 paint horse i team rope off of that weighs 1485lbs and he fits fine in my trailer.
dez
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2006-09-18 1:49 PM (#48719 - in reply to #48712)

Boy, I think it would probably be tight. I haul Arabs in an 8' wide slant with mangers, and they do have plenty of space, but even my small 950 lb horse would be tighter than I'd prefer if you took a foot off the width. I prefer to have enough room that my horses can back up a bit and drop their heads to the floor if they want, which mine all can do (including the 15'3 horse if he's in the last stall). Is there a chance you could put the horses in the trailer before making a decision?
Horse Crazy
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2006-09-18 2:04 PM (#48720 - in reply to #48712)

Regular

We would have to travel about 3Hrs and 20 minutes to go and get it. I guess we could do that if the dealer would let us. But, what an inconvience. I don't want them to be cramped but I wouldn't want them to have so much room they can put their heads to the floor either. I'm going to talk with hubby and see if he would want to do that if the dealer ok's it. That's probably the best way just put them in it and see how tight it is.

dez
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2006-09-18 3:00 PM (#48724 - in reply to #48720)

I'm sure you have your own reasons for why you don't want your horses to be able to drop their heads, but I'm glad that my horses can, mainly so they can clear their sinuses. And because my trailer is 8' wide (and my horses small enough), I still get to have that under-manger storage on the side of my trailer, so I consider it having the best of both worlds! I also haul untied and unload about 3 or so hours, which others would never want to do. When it comes to believing what is best for you/your horse in a trailer, it's truly 'different strokes for different folks', isn't it... Now if I could just get a reverse slant trailer - they are finally becoming easier to get. When I bought my LQ in 2001, I couldn't find a trailer maker that would build me a reverse slant without charging me about as much as I paid for my house.

jd&ez
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-09-19 3:41 PM (#48804 - in reply to #48712)

Regular

Originally written by Horse Crazy on 2006-09-18 12:41 PM

Good afternoon everyone,

I have found a 4-star trailer that fits our budget. However this trailer has mangers and is only 7' wide. 2 of our Qtr horses are a pretty good size. 15.3 and 16 hands. We have been hauling them in our Ponderosa for several years. They do just fine but we had said if we got a new trailer with mangers it would have to be 7'6" or 8' wide. Our Ponderosa is only 6' wide. Does anyone know how wide the mangers are? I don't want my horses to be cramped in their new ride. We need to make up our minds before this trailer gets sold. PLEASE HELP ME

Thank You

The mangers are about the same depth on all trailers.  The width of the trailer doesn't matter. There is still dead space under the horses heads. I've had mangers on a 6 wide, a 7 wide, a 7 1/2 wide and an 8 wide.

The difference is in the length of the slant. On the 6 wide, the slant was pretty steep to give the horses room. On the 8 wide, they are nearly so steep.

AppyRider
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2006-09-19 8:15 PM (#48813 - in reply to #48712)

A lot of large companies have floor plans/diagrams of their trailers on their web sites. Considering the cost of these things, doesn't seem like too much inconvenience for the dealer to obtain the stall measurements either from the manufacturer or with a yardstick if he has the trailer on the lot. Would be great if you could put the horse in any similar trailer close to where you are and compare measurements. Also see if the divider has more than one place to attach on the butt end, to make the front stall wider or narrower?
loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2006-09-19 9:42 PM (#48815 - in reply to #48813)

Expert

on my trailer i went for width and no manger, hay nets work fine.
Lucy Lou Magoo
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2006-09-20 5:59 AM (#48828 - in reply to #48712)

Hey Horse Crazy,  I myself have a 4-Star that I custom ordered and it is 7' wide with mangers. The dealer said that I had a choice of ordering 18" wide or 24" wide mangers, so, of course, I got the smaller 18" wide ones. --Just a personal preference.---**I like to be able to see as much as possible in the rear-view mirror (some people can follow really close.) *I like the fact that the "running boards" on the side of my trailer kind of act as a "mud guard". *Also, I like to be able to sit things on the side of my trailer "running boards" like brushes, fly spray..etc. when I'm grooming, or, even the whole brush,tool or vet box on my wheel well. I also use my wheel well to step up on when I'm tying/un-tying a horse. I have even sat on the "running boards" for awhile if I don't have my chairs out. (No, not my whole fanny, but just enough) Anyway, I have been real happy with this set-up. The largest horse I've had in there so far is about 15.2 H with no problems. I honestly wouldn't be afraid of putting a larger horse in there. I personally do think that the brand of trailer does make a difference. To be on the safe side, you could just ask them to measure the mangers for you. Heck, have them measure the entire stall length. Then measure your horses. I don't know if it makes a difference on how old the trailer is. Maybe they change things periodically? Like.. how much of a slant the stalls are at...Mine is a 2004 model... Besides storage area under the mangers, I personally like the fact that my horses have a "brace" at their chest just in case, heaven forbid, I would have to stop abrubtly for some reason. To me,18"...that really isn't that much when you're talking about how much room your horses head & neck take up. And, yes, I have seen my larger mare back up & put her head down. **A word of warning to you, though. If you have a horse that will not back out, then that's another thing. The divider on the manger starts at their chest, so, if you don't have a super wide trailer, they will have a problem turning around. If I run into that situation, I would just take the middle divider completly out. Then no problem. All my well broke horses or even some young ones don't have a problem backing out, but this is something to consider. Anyway, sorry so long, but that's just my personal preference/opinion. Hope it helped you a bit.

Good Luck!!!!