SuperChips/MaxMicroTuner?
windwalker2
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-09-11 6:37 AM (#48274)
Subject: SuperChips/MaxMicroTuner?

Extreme Veteran

I was talking to a fellow co-worker this morning and during conversation I mentioned that our Dually was a little slow going up steep hills with the lqtrs trailer in tow.  He mentioned the Superchip thing.  

Any opinions?

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
deranger
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2006-09-11 6:54 AM (#48277 - in reply to #48274)
Subject: RE: SuperChips/MaxMicroTuner?

Elite Veteran

windwalker2, I think that Superchips makes a good unit and is user friendly. There are literally hundreds of aftermarket chips available to change the parameters of your diesel engine in your truck. I'm a little partial to Superchips since my mechanic uses that particular brand and he can use anything he wants. I do most of the work on our trucks myself, but when I get in over my head I take our trucks to him, whether it's our work truck or the newer pleasure truck. He likes the Superchip for the price, user friendly, horsepower options and you can easily return the truck to it's original parameters. I haven't had the need to up the hp in our diesel yet, since it does a pretty good job like it is. Our truck has a manual tranny and comes with about 25 more hp than a truck with an automatic tranny. If I decide to up the hp, it will be with a Superchip upgrade. Anyone else I talk to seems to think that "Edge" and "Bullydog" make really good units. The "Edge" is a little on the pricey side, but gives you a LOT of options, like "programming on the fly."  "Bullydog" is sort of in the middle, but is capable of giving you some serious horsepower, but there are some disadvantages to having that much horsepower. If I ever upgrade to the Superchip option on our truck, it will probably be the mildest setting. They claim that you will get better milage, smoother idling and so on. I'd like to have another 25 hp and 2 more mpg if possible, but like I said earlier, it's not a big deal for me right now.

By the way neighbor, what are you towing with?

Happy trails.

Edited by deranger 2006-09-11 7:00 AM
windwalker2
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-09-11 7:44 AM (#48279 - in reply to #48277)

Extreme Veteran

Hello Deranger......

First off, we have a "gas" dually. We only use that truck for towing the horse trailers and it sit's 99% of the time. We tow a 3h lqtr's Super Chief Cherokee. ( I think that's what it's called).  It's a little slow going up steep hills. ( Personally, I don't give a rat's rear end if the traffic behind us get's annoyed.) but a little more power would be nice. That's why I was questioning this chip thing.  They say it will give it some extra power.......

Diamond D Shane
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2006-09-11 8:35 AM (#48282 - in reply to #48279)

we both sell and use the superchips product and have for quite a while.  i personally use one in my 2005 dodge 3500 diesel truck.  i went from around 15.5 to 16 miles per gallon without the superchip to 20 to 21 with it.  and i only have used it on the tow safe mode since i pull a trailer often. on a gas engine it will give a little extra horsepower but no where near what it will do to benefit a diesel engine.  it will only give a gas engine about 15-20 more hp and 30-40 more torque most generally.  hope this helps!  if you have any specific questions pm me. 

Edited by Diamond D Shane 2006-09-11 8:40 AM
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-09-11 9:34 AM (#48288 - in reply to #48279)

Expert

Originally written by windwalker2 on 2006-09-11 7:44 AM

Hello Deranger......

First off, we have a "gas" dually. We only use that truck for towing the horse trailers and it sit's 99% of the time. We tow a 3h lqtr's Super Chief Cherokee. ( I think that's what it's called). It's a little slow going up steep hills. ( Personally, I don't give a rat's rear end if the traffic behind us get's annoyed.) but a little more power would be nice. That's why I was questioning this chip thing. They say it will give it some extra power.......

Sure it will.
Power doesn't come from nowhere, it is a consequence of burning fuel, actually it is a function of the RATE of burning fuel.

More power out requires more fuel in, there isn't any "magic efficiency factor" in these chips.
windwalker2
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-09-11 10:09 AM (#48290 - in reply to #48288)

Extreme Veteran

Okay Reg, in your opinion,,,,,,,,,should we purchase one? 

MrTruck
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-09-11 11:20 AM (#48297 - in reply to #48274)

Elite Veteran

We sell Superchips and Edge. Superchips bought out Edge. That should cause a price increase, we'll see. Edge has a power advantage, but I view Superchips as safer. There are a lot of extreme diesels in Colorado with 1000#'s of torque. I've seen a few Ford trucks with the Edge in the top setting in Ford service centers with major engine damage. There are safety triggers in most of the programmers and downloaders to defuel when EGR's or boost or some other perimeter are passed. The newer Flashpaq Superchips is programmable from the Internet. So when up updates or changes from the OEM come out, you just download the latest program.

The best I've seen in improved mpg is from the Edge EZ. But I've only seen it do this with Cummins. Several folks I know with a 4 mpg improvement, which is huge. When you do add a module (Edge) or a downloader (Superchips), you need to monitor turbo heat and it's good to add a free flow exhaust and cold air intake. To use more fuel and injector timing efficiently you need more air and the exhaust needs more room too. It takes 18,000 gallons of air for each gallon of diesel. Diesels suck in a good way.

windwalker2
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-09-11 11:33 AM (#48298 - in reply to #48274)

Extreme Veteran

My boss swears by the "Hyper Tech"............I assume it's a "Brand name thing" with these chips................sorry guy's, I'm lost in Super Chip space........I'll keep reading your posts...........I'm going to print them out and take them to our local truck parts place called "Trick Trucks", here in Maryland................
Judy K
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-09-11 12:13 PM (#48303 - in reply to #48298)

Veteran

Just my 2 cents worth - I have a 2005 Chevy Diesel- and I have the Edge chip with the internal monitor - I like that I can just press a button to go from "mileage" to "super-charged" quickly....I only use the first 2 settings...when the dealer showed me what the truck could do on the highest setting - I was "very afraid" I will say that when I drive in the first setting that my mileage has increased about 4 mpg and with slow careful "granny" driving I normally get between 18 and 21 mpg - according to the trucks internal monitor..I get about 14 - 15 mpg pulling the HEAVY TRAILER FROM HELL...(see excessive tongue weight)...and the truck seems to handle it well....it does produce more black smoke! I also switched everything in every nook and cranny to Amsoil products..(no, I'm not a dealer)....just want to help my truck last..of course it won't pulling my trailer! >
deranger
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2006-09-11 6:11 PM (#48337 - in reply to #48288)

Elite Veteran

Originally written by Reg on 2006-09-11 10:34 AM

Sure it will. Power doesn't come from nowhere, it is a consequence of burning fuel, actually it is a function of the RATE of burning fuel. More power out requires more fuel in, there isn't any "magic efficiency factor" in these chips.

Reg, I don't think for a minute that any of us neophites are stupid enough to think there is anything magic about getting a 4-5 mpg increase by changing the parameters of a computer controlled diesel engine. 

So please help us neophites understand how the "magic effeciency factor" does not occur when we get an increase in fuel effeciency by using a product from say.........Superchips? 

From what you said, "more power out, requires more fuel in" right?  Soooooooooo lets get skippy and splain where the magic is?

Wait! I've got it! Your retirement fund is completely invested in Exxon?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? That's got to be it! Right? And you don't want us to use the aftermarket chips to get the extra mpg's right? It took me awhile, but I think I got it. Happy trails.

Edited by deranger 2006-09-11 6:14 PM
Broken Bit
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2006-09-11 7:37 PM (#48345 - in reply to #48274)

Veteran

I'm using a Superchips Max Microtuner on my PowerStroke and I like it fine, I really like that it "talks" to your transmission at the same time that it's "talking" to your engine 'puter.  A lot of the "chips" just deal with the engine and don't change any transmission setting as where the programers do.  I honestly did NOT notice an increase in mpg's. in fact I lost about 1.5-2 mpg's during "around town" driving.  I also opt for the safe route, and leave mine on the "tow-safe" setting which is the lowest setting, but supposed to be good for as much weight as the truck is rated for, the "performance-tow" setting is good for wagons up to 6,000#'s, and the "performance" setting is NOT to be used for towing ANTHING.  Any how that's my experience with the Superchips reprogramer FWIW.

Talk to y'all later...

Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-09-11 8:40 PM (#48352 - in reply to #48274)

Expert

deranger,

I don't know.
I'm not the one claiming that I have a product that produces something for nothing.
The ad copy usually has a lot of doublespeak about "optimization".
The claim is usually that they can mess with the injector timing in such a way that less fuel is injected, but more power comes out. Something that is simply beyond the capabilities of Bosch's, GM's, Ford's and DB/Chyrco/Cummins' enginners, individually or in combination.

I've always found "fuel (dis)economy" to be very hard to measure accurately.
Sure I can go from fill to fill, do the odometer arithmetic and calculate it to a large number of decimal places, but it is almost impossible to get repeatability. Last week's journeys vs this week's vs next week's.
So we get precision without accuracy and it is very easy to read whatever we want to see into such 'precise' measurements.

I get where I'm going quite quickly enough, 50 or 100 additional horse power (claimed) would make very little difference to my actual journey times. I don't think the horses want any more accelleration either, can you imagine it back there ? "Better brace ourselves for when the light turns green, he's gonna hit it HARD again."

I'm not selling anything and no, I didn't have the foresight to buy oil stocks when I should have.

So, sure, put a few hundred bux into something that claims to save a mile, maybe 3, per gallon. Alternatively just back off the loud pedal a bit, for zero cost.
muleskinner
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-09-11 9:34 PM (#48354 - in reply to #48352)

Regular

Originally written by Reg on 2006-09-11 8:40 PM

deranger,I don't know.I'm not the one claiming that I have a product that produces something for nothing.The ad copy usually has a lot of doublespeak about "optimization".The claim is usually that they can mess with the injector timing in such a way that less fuel is injected, but more power comes out. Something that is simply beyond the capabilities of Bosch's, GM's, Ford's and DB/Chyrco/Cummins' enginners, individually or in combination.I've always found "fuel (dis)economy" to be very hard to measure accurately.Sure I can go from fill to fill, do the odometer arithmetic and calculate it to a large number of decimal places, but it is almost impossible to get repeatability. Last week's journeys vs this week's vs next week's.So we get precision without accuracy and it is very easy to read whatever we want to see into such 'precise' measurements.I get where I'm going quite quickly enough, 50 or 100 additional horse power (claimed) would make very little difference to my actual journey times. I don't think the horses want any more accelleration either, can you imagine it back there ? "Better brace ourselves for when the light turns green, he's gonna hit it HARD again." I'm not selling anything and no, I didn't have the foresight to buy oil stocks when I should have.So, sure, put a few hundred bux into something that claims to save a mile, maybe 3, per gallon. Alternatively just back off the loud pedal a bit, for zero cost.
The chip builders all brag about extra horse power,they don't say much about reduced engine and tranny life and the voiding of factory warranty. Most people don't need chips,if you want a hot-rod then maybe a chip is a good thing.
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-09-11 9:48 PM (#48356 - in reply to #48354)

Expert

Originally written by muleskinner on 2006-09-11 9:34 PM

deranger,I don't know.I'm not the one claiming that I have a product that produces something for nothing.The ad copy usually has a lot of doublespeak about "optimization".The claim is usually that they can mess with the injector timing in such a way that less fuel is injected, but more power comes out. Something that is simply beyond the capabilities of Bosch's, GM's, Ford's and DB/Chyrco/Cummins' enginners, individually or in combination.I've always found "fuel (dis)economy" to be very hard to measure accurately.Sure I can go from fill to fill, do the odometer arithmetic and calculate it to a large number of decimal places, but it is almost impossible to get repeatability. Last week's journeys vs this week's vs next week's.So we get precision without accuracy and it is very easy to read whatever we want to see into such 'precise' measurements.I get where I'm going quite quickly enough, 50 or 100 additional horse power (claimed) would make very little difference to my actual journey times. I don't think the horses want any more accelleration either, can you imagine it back there ? "Better brace ourselves for when the light turns green, he's gonna hit it HARD again." I'm not selling anything and no, I didn't have the foresight to buy oil stocks when I should have.So, sure, put a few hundred bux into something that claims to save a mile, maybe 3, per gallon. Alternatively just back off the loud pedal a bit, for zero cost.
The chip builders all brag about extra horse power,they don't say much about reduced engine and tranny life and the voiding of factory warranty. Most people don't need chips,if you want a hot-rod then maybe a chip is a good thing.

To be fair, yes they do.
They warn you that you need to ALSO buy a pyrometer, so that you can monitor your exhaust gas temperature.

Errr, Ummm, I guess I'm caught flat footed again.
Gimme a few days to figure out how why they expect higher exhaust temperatures from burning LESS fuel. Make that the rest of the semester, or the remainder of the academic year...

Lessee now, higher thermal density... greater rate of heat production...
lower rate of heat loss...

Dunno, like I said not MY magic.

threeman
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2006-09-12 6:40 AM (#48367 - in reply to #48274)

Extreme Veteran

I have four duramax diesels and all of them have had problems.  I am not bashing the truck because now I am on number 5.  Anyway two of them were damaged because of the programmers.  I slipped trannies in three of them because of high settings.  I talked to several manufactures tech support about what to do and where to set the program.  My trailer is heavy.  Very heavy and "I" cannot pull it while using a programmer on anything over the trailer tow mode @40hp.  So "I" have decided that the programmers were not worth it for me.  If you rarely pull or pull a lite trailer then ok it may work for you. 
deranger
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2006-09-12 7:17 AM (#48370 - in reply to #48356)

Elite Veteran

Originally written by Reg on 2006-09-11 10:48 PM

Originally written by muleskinner on 2006-09-11 9:34 PM

To be fair, yes they do. They warn you that you need to ALSO buy a pyrometer, so that you can monitor your exhaust gas temperature. Errr, Ummm, I guess I'm caught flat footed again. Gimme a few days to figure out how why they expect higher exhaust temperatures from burning LESS fuel. Make that the rest of the semester, or the remainder of the academic year... Lessee now, higher thermal density... greater rate of heat production... lower rate of heat loss... Dunno, like I said not MY magic.

Reg, I don't think this is that hard to figure out from where I'm standing. If we buy a product and start "wildly" exceeding the builders design, we pay the price. If we choose to modify a product for better performance, or personal preference we are still taking a risk, but it is a more controlled risk and not "wildly" exceeding the original limitations of the product.

When we change the parameters of a computer on a diesel engine, we are taking a risk. I haven't changed mine yet, but there is a good possibility that I may do so in the future. But only after careful consideration of the "cost/benefits ratio" since I operate on a very tight budget.

When we change or reprogram a diesel computer we are usually asking the computer to control the engine more to our liking, or more customized to our praticular use. The builder produces a product that will operate relatively well at the equater or the arctic. I'm asking my diesel to operate in a narrower band of use. There for I should gain a higher use and effeciency.

Happy trails.

Edited by deranger 2006-09-12 7:37 AM
SLICKRNSNOT
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2006-09-12 11:15 AM (#48384 - in reply to #48274)

Elite Veteran

I don't know about these "CHIPS"

My vet put a chip in My horse..

But I cant see any improvement.

windwalker2
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-09-12 11:22 AM (#48385 - in reply to #48384)

Extreme Veteran

Maybe he put it at the wrong end? Or maybe he misunderstood and installed a "micro-chip" instead.  Geesh, these vet's should pay more attention, don't ya think?

Edited by windwalker2 2006-09-12 11:25 AM
SLICKRNSNOT
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2006-09-12 11:44 AM (#48386 - in reply to #48274)

Elite Veteran

That could be it!
deranger
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2006-09-12 12:21 PM (#48388 - in reply to #48386)

Elite Veteran

I think you are taking the wrong approach by having your vet install chips in your horse. I install mine myself and years of experimenting I think I've hit on what works. I tried "potatoe chips" and got maginal increases in milage, smoother running, but about the same on exhaust fumes.

THEN I tried "sweet potatoe chips" and man you can't believe the difference!!! Milage increased right away! I couldn't believe how smooth those horses were running and cut WAY back on the exhaust fumes as well!

I suggest you stop using the vet to install your chips. If you are not completely satisfied with the results, send a SASE to your vet and ask for your money back. Happy trails.

SLICKRNSNOT
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2006-09-12 1:04 PM (#48393 - in reply to #48274)

Elite Veteran

Sweet potatoe chips mmmmmmmm.

Worth a try,especialy if I can cut down on emissons.

Do My part for the ozone level.

SLICKRNSNOT
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2006-09-12 1:05 PM (#48394 - in reply to #48274)

Elite Veteran

One for My horse one for Me,one for my horse,one for me.repeat till bag is empty.

SLICKRNSNOT
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2006-09-12 1:24 PM (#48396 - in reply to #48274)

Elite Veteran

Untill I can get some of them chips I will have to use alternative methods to move My stock.

windwalker2
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-09-13 4:18 AM (#48429 - in reply to #48396)

Extreme Veteran

Pretzels may work.   My buckskin love's em.  Although it does create a problem when were on the trails.  He seems to know when I'm eating them................he'll turn his head constantly wondering why I haven't given him his share........kinda causes the forward motion to slow down a bit.............but maybe I could attach a pretzel to a string, then attach it to a crop and dangle it in front of his "face" while were on the trails.  Now that should keep him going forward at a pretty good clip......

What do you think?

Edited by windwalker2 2006-09-13 4:20 AM
SLICKRNSNOT
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2006-09-13 9:51 AM (#48448 - in reply to #48274)

Elite Veteran

It would put a new "TWIST" on things.
Summit1
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2006-09-14 11:08 AM (#48540 - in reply to #48274)

I have a 02 ,3500 1-ton Duramax. I installed the Edge with attitude two summers ago and has been the best thing for me .I use in in the tow mode to haul my 40'trailer through the Rockies and really makes a difference climbing those hills. combined with the tow/Haul button and the BD Exhaust I also installed it makes the perfect combination, and have had no problems.