Anyone been to Winding River Resort/Rocky Mountain National Park?
pooperscooper
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2006-09-07 8:16 PM (#48071)
Subject: Anyone been to Winding River Resort/Rocky Mountain National Park?

Veteran

Wondering if anyone has stayed there and ridden in the Rockies? How are the trails? Any trouble getting yourself or horses climatized? Thinking about possibly going there next year and just wanted to get alittle more info.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
SLICKRNSNOT
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2006-09-08 11:08 AM (#48121 - in reply to #48071)
Subject: RE: Anyone been to Winding River Resort/Rocky Mountain National Park?

Elite Veteran

Havent ridden in the rockies in a long time.However I have ridden the Mountains of eastern Oregon and it takes a couple  of days to get used to the elevation change.

I go a little early just to get used to the change.if I can camp at a slightly lower elevation I do that for a day and then move on up and take it easy for a day or two before getting too physical.

skipaway
Reg. Oct 2006
Posted 2006-10-08 1:48 PM (#49765 - in reply to #48071)
Subject: RE: Anyone been to Winding River Resort/Rocky Mountain National Park?

New User

I haven't been to that particular campground yet, but a good friend goes every year.  She's staying a whole month during the summer of 07, and hopefully, I'll finally make it out there. l go to CO as much as I can.  I live in Ks, though, so Winding River is a little farther than I have to go to find spectacular riding.  I have never had a problem with my horses out there.  I live at about 1300 feet, camped this year at 9000, and rode above that.  I don't know why it would be any harder on them than on you.  I always figure my condition is the rate limiting factor in any equation involving exertion, horses, and me.  Obviously, that may not be true for a young, fit, go-hung jock type.