New Diesels.. Reliability Issues? for 1st few yrs
trintogetthere
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2006-08-30 10:48 AM (#47634)
Subject: New Diesels.. Reliability Issues? for 1st few yrs

New User

My situation...I currently own a 2003 Dodge Dually, no issues, except the A/C should be ripped out and allowed to sit beside me as it has a mind of it's own, different story/day.

The Question that I would like to pose is concerning the reliability of the new diesels (GM, Dodge, Ford) from 2007 and so on.  From what I have read and heard, of course they will have to run on Low- Sulphur Diesel, which is what just about everybody already knows.  Something new I learned is that all the new diesels will also require a new type of oil as the diesels will be running "hotter" than their predecesors.  The reason behind this (what I have read) is because they are meeting necessary requirements for clean-air regulations and they are not allowed to emit "crank-case vapors"

With that said, what is the future for diesels?  I have noticed elsewhere that some are buying diesels now to prepare for ...(who knows)...Of course the Big, well not 3 anymore with yotas selling like hotcakes, are not just throwing the engines together, but are the diesels of yesteryear maybe going to be a better investment.

Someone like myself, 03' diesel owner, maybe buy in a year or two what the heck would I buy, Would It last, is it going to cost $60,000 by then, and an oil change $75-$85 because of the new oil?

Lot of questions (issues), but hay is what we feed to our horses in the winter and some people I/you know trucks' cost more than their house. ;~)    (have at it)

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
laxpatrick
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2006-08-31 10:25 AM (#47681 - in reply to #47634)
Subject: RE: New Diesels.. Reliability Issues? for 1st few yrs

Veteran

In general, some feel that it's  best to wait a year or two until the manufacturer has the bugs out of a dramatic design change.  Some folks don't like to wait.

As discussed in another thread, I do think that we're seeing manufacturer take their designs to the uppen end of the performance envelope.  Challenges include emissions, fuel mandates, and competitive pressure to better the other companies' hp and torque numbers. 

Looking back, we have fond memories of legendary durability in previous models (albeit with modest performance specs by today's standards) - the Ford 7.3, the Dodge 5.9's and the GM 5.7 diesel of the early 80's (just kiddiing about that one!).

Now we're seeing performance numbers that test the stock drivetrain - transmission in particular.  Manufacturers are having to offer beefier, more performant components across the board.  All of this thirst for power translates to a higher price all around for joe consumer.

I'm going to stick it out with my 04 Dodge and see how the new Fords hold up.  I may end up having this truck for many hundreds of thousands of miles...

LAXPatrick

Spooler
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2006-08-31 8:13 PM (#47705 - in reply to #47634)
Subject: RE: New Diesels.. Reliability Issues? for 1st few yrs

Extreme Veteran

As far as your A/C goes there is a thread on www.dieseltruckresource.com (DTR) that is addressing your issues.  It is in the 3rd gen. forum.  A guy from D.C is helping with the issue.  No resolution at this time but very close to a conclusion.  The Cummins 6.7 has been in Medium duty trucks for about 2 or 3 years.  That is the same engine that will go in the 2007 Dodge trucks starting in January of 07'.  The newest addition will be a new 6 speed auto transmission. We will have to wait and see how the new trucks do. Everyone will have new engines in 07' due to higher emissions standards.