Are big name trailers worth the extra $?
tacklam
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2006-08-29 2:48 AM (#47552)
Subject: Are big name trailers worth the extra $?

Looking at new trailers and am wondering if the big names (both trailer mfg & conversion companies) are worth the big buck$. The use is for taking my family trail riding / camping. Do the Bloomers w/ Dusters, Elites w/Outlaws & Sundowners maintain a higher resale percentage value? Are you purchasing a superior product or flash in the pan? IMHO, some of the interiors are over the top (fireplaces, ostrich walls, etc) Function & depenability are critical. When I take the family out, I want everything to work with minimal headache. My wife's idea of roughing it is a Holiday Inn so conserving water & other common camping BS is out of the question. In terms of generators, I've noticed that Onan Micro Quites are used quite often but they cost double that of a similar Generac QuietPac 40G. I have a Generac 25K to backup my home and it was worked flawlessly. Anyone have experiance w/ the RV system?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2006-08-29 5:51 AM (#47556 - in reply to #47552)
Subject: RE: Are big name trailers worth the extra $?

Expert

Well, to start this off, I will say up front that I do a few trailers for others. That being said, my trailer is a 4 Star and has copper sinks and soft walls, Flat Screen TV and Satelite Dish. I have camped in a number of trailers, the most enjoyable weekends I have had were the ones when everything worked as it should, and I had good friends around to enjoy it with. When camping you spend very little time inside the trailer unless it is raining or you are by yourself. So get a large awning(as big as the trailer can have on it). Mine is 24 ft. Also as far as resale goes, gadgets seem to help the sale, now you know why I have copper sinks ect., ect., ect. but I build a trailer to sell every year. I don't think they hold the value percentage wise I.E. a Bloomer/Duster at $60k resales at $45K in Year and a Kiefer/Cutter at $40K resales at $32K in a year. You do the math. Everyone talks about the quality and it is there, on the upper end trailers, but I don't think the average trail rider, local shows, type person will ever wear out a moderately priced trailer. As far as the generator Generac builds a good one I have had them in the past, the newest buzz is about theese inverter based units. Honda/Kipor/Yamahas they seem to be quiet enough and price is attractive at less than $2k. I have a 1800 rpm Kohler not built in but on wheels that I can roll into the rear tack under the bottom saddle when it's needed. That goes back to enjoyable weekends, if you are packing gas for the generator or water for the shower the level of enjoyment goes way down in my eyes, I.E. satelite dish. 

Edited by HWBar 2006-08-29 6:01 AM
threeman
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2006-08-29 5:57 AM (#47557 - in reply to #47552)

Extreme Veteran

What it boils down to is resale and durability.  Some trailers are designed to run down the road everyday, while some are designed to use once a month.  If I were trail riding once or twice a month I would not own an upper end trailer.  For instance I haul at least once probably twice/three a weekend to events.  Most of which are not under two hours away and I have an elite.  Nothing wrong with any other brand high or low end they each have their purpose.
Tx. Vaquero
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2006-08-29 8:01 AM (#47565 - in reply to #47552)

I'm not sure any of them are worth what we have to pay for them these days, but if you want to see what works day in and day out, drive thru the competitors parking lot at the circuit deals, ropings, cuttings,etc. and see what the guys that make their living, such as it is, are hauling. I don't care about ostriches or fireplaces, but mine has got to work all the time or I'm not going to own it long. My trailer is home for 200+ days a year and gets a lot of miles. I have owned several brands of trailers, but I always have an Onan 7500 diesel generator (did you know these use a 3 cylinder Kubota engine?) with built in 50 gallon tank and Dexter airride with elec./hyd. disc brakes. With the diesel generator, I can fill it up with the transfer pump from my truck without having to haul cans or move the trailer. Not a big deal to an occasional user, big deal to me. Just as another example of something most would consider useless, I put a combination washer/dryer, like motor homes use, in my last 2 trailers. My Mom said always wear clean underwear, and it's a drag sitting in a laundromat, even if you can find one. Besides, you wouldn't believe how popular I get with the barrel racers at the 3-4 day deals when they need to wash their unmentionables. All this is to say, decide what you really need before you spend your money. Fancy doesn't fit me, function and performance does. Buy quality and it will last, buy cheap and live with repair and headaches. Your original question, if I used some of the cheaper trailers the way I use mine, there wouldn't be anything left to resell after a year or so.
threeman
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2006-08-29 8:10 AM (#47567 - in reply to #47552)

Extreme Veteran

Precisely my point TX.

By the way did you get my message in your inbox?

Dawnya
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2006-08-29 8:16 AM (#47568 - in reply to #47552)

Extreme Veteran

I pretty much agree.
I have a Silver Star which is not a widely known brand but they make an excellent trailer!

However, I don't (won't) own anything that would paw, kick, bite or be destructive.  They all haul well, so a moderately priced trailer works fine for me.

eta:  I haul a LOT.

Edited by Dawnya 2006-08-29 8:17 AM
tacklam
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2006-08-29 8:16 AM (#47569 - in reply to #47565)

Tx. Vaquero - thx for the input... I really value feedback from pros who live w/ the products day in & day out. Dealers temd to tell you that whatever they are selling is the greatest. If you don't mind me asking, what brand trailer do you pull? What are the three most popular brands at the pro events that you see? I've been told by some Bloomer dealers that they don't offer air-ride because of failures and mfgs who don't backup their product. Also heard from Bloomer vendors that Bloomer doesn't work w/ Outlaw (anymore). I'm new to these types of toys and am just trying to boil out the BS before I drop my $$.

Tx. Vaquero
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2006-08-29 9:12 AM (#47575 - in reply to #47552)

I'm having operator trouble this morning, so if this shows up as 2 replies, I'm sorry. Threeman, I guess I don't know how to get messages. Tacklam, I am pulling an Elite now. I guess the trailers you see most are Elite, Bloomer and 4 Star, with C&C picking up. Stidham is starting to get some trailers out there with good reports. Bloomer had some problems with the airride brand they originally used, but have started using Dexter and I have not heard of a problem getting them to install one. I ordered a Bloomer a couple of years ago with Dexter and didn't have any trouble getting it. As to Outlaw, I don't know how they stay in business. One more comment, I got the Dexter pump on the elec./hyd. brakes and it is significantly smoother than the Carlisle I have always used in the past.
threeman
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2006-08-29 10:04 AM (#47578 - in reply to #47552)

Extreme Veteran

Hey TX you should be able to check your messages when your logged in right under the six buttons for forums, albums, search, logoff, settings, and schemes.  Should say welcome TXVaquero.  There are #new messages in your box.
headhunter
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2006-08-29 10:16 AM (#47579 - in reply to #47552)
Subject: RE: big name trailers

Elite Veteran

When comparing quality and value of living quarters trailers, keep in mind every brand and every conversion company will be using the same components (microwave, refrigerator, A/C, water pumps, etc).  There won't be much quality difference in those components between brands. 
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-08-29 11:08 AM (#47583 - in reply to #47552)

Expert

For the name alone ? NO !
For the quality ? Maybe.
For resale ? NO !

If it costs an extra few grand that will get you a few hundred back at resale time (5, 10 or 15 years from now) you're just investing even MORE in a depreciating asset )-:

I've looked at a few Silver Stars, I've liked what I've seen.
If they're "budget/economy/value priced" I'm a bit surprised, they're probably good value.
It is always possible that you can find the next "big name" before they actually become that, i.e. while they're still on slim margins trying to build their base. That is a high risk time, so it is equally likely that they could go under.

Ahh, trailer companies that go under;
I've been looking at a Stainless steel Sterling trailer that is at a local car/truck repair place for a couple of weeks. They went out of business around '94, but that trailer looks GOOD ! Some wear and tear on the mats, dividers, chest bars, but the frame and body are perfect. I'd buy it if I had a NEED for a 2 horse gooseneck trailer (-:
It has held it's value well, or at least it has held it's asking price well.

arlene21
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2006-08-29 1:22 PM (#47586 - in reply to #47552)

Veteran

What about extras on the trailer for long term value? I just bought a used 4-Star from an individual who had it made for him. It has extra drains for shower and sink for easy draining. He had it built 2 inches about the axle for traveling over low spots. Extra lights in the back and front and a place built to put a generator. I didn't really appreciate those things about it but I liked the trailer. Does it really matter that those things are included?
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-08-29 3:30 PM (#47589 - in reply to #47586)

Expert

Originally written by arlene21 on 2006-08-29 1:22 PM

What about extras on the trailer for long term value? I just bought a used 4-Star from an individual who had it made for him. It has extra drains for shower and sink for easy draining. He had it built 2 inches about the axle for traveling over low spots. Extra lights in the back and front and a place built to put a generator. I didn't really appreciate those things about it but I liked the trailer. Does it really matter that those things are included?

That is a separate question, but if they have no value to you and you pay for them, then you dump more of your money into the depreciating asset - and lose most of it. In your case, if you didn't pay extra for them, the previous owner was the loser - which supports my point.

farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2006-08-29 5:25 PM (#47595 - in reply to #47552)

Expert

It all depends on what you're willing to pay for. Soft walls,fireplaces and plasma TVs are great but but only if thats what you want and can afford in a trailer. When I am at a 4 day show,I don't spend alot of time in the trailer. I am certainly not living in it more like staying there til I get home. I wanted a solid trailer with a nice, functional LQ. I like my Exiss, it what i needed at a price I could justify. I am not concerned about resale other than if and when I trade up, I should think how I care for the unit and its overall condition would make more of a differnce than brand.

Tx. Vaquero
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2006-08-29 6:31 PM (#47598 - in reply to #47595)

farmbabe- your opinion might change if you left one 4 day show and drove straight thru to another 4 day show and on and on. It is nothing for some of us to be on the road for 6-8 weeks without ever seeing home, yeah I know it is dumb, so the trailer becomes your home, and believe me, after awhile you spend more and more time in them. After all, even the best of us can only sit around and drink so much beer for so long. Finally you just want a soft place to fall.I don't care how good of care you take of a trailer, if you use it hard and it isn't built right to start with, you are not going to end up with much. I see too many of them fall apart. If you are a recreational user, by all means buy a recreational trailer. You will be disappointed though if you try to put it on the road.
headhunter
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2006-08-29 8:25 PM (#47599 - in reply to #47598)
Subject: RE: big name trailers

Elite Veteran

This was where I was going with my post about the compenents all being the same in the different trailers.  I think its most important to pick a trailer with the horse features and quality you need structurally, then select a living quarters package.  Its going to be the layout of the living quarters that will matter more than who does it, what I tried to get across earlier is all the mechanical components of the living quarters trailers are going to be very similar or identical, no matter what the brand of trailer.  A Dometic fridge in a Trails West is going to be the same Dometic fridge in a Sundowner.  Hope that makes sense.....

Originally written by Tx. Vaquero on 2006-08-29 4:31 PM

I don't care how good of care you take of a trailer, if you use it hard and it isn't built right to start with, you are not going to end up with much. I see too many of them fall apart. If you are a recreational user, by all means buy a recreational trailer. You will be disappointed though if you try to put it on the road.

farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2006-08-29 9:28 PM (#47605 - in reply to #47552)

Expert

of course your planned useage makes a difference as well as your maintance. Most problems get bigger if things aren't taken care of ASAP...and i am just as gulity as the next guy leaving things until "later". One would expect tha a high priced rig should last longer and be of a higher quality yet we all know sh%@ happens. What something is worth depends entirely on you and what your willing to spend.

My trailer is recreational in the sense I do go every weekend to shows ( for the most part) some are about 3 hours away. Not much compaired to you but I haven't been disappointed in the least.

Edited by farmbabe 2006-08-29 9:31 PM
arlene21
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2006-08-29 9:35 PM (#47606 - in reply to #47552)

Veteran

I agree that structure is important. It is to me even though I use my trailer for recreational purposes. I bought my trailer as a keeper for numerous years and I don't want to have to find a dealer to service it constantly. But, I also think the LQ is important. I know the components may be the same brand but I think the way they are installed can make a difference. I don't want a shower that leaks or a bed where I hit my head when I sit up. I don't want plastic parts in place of metal or a piece of webbing as a bumper for my horse. I have seen these in some of the newer trailers and decided to invest my money in a used trailer that is structurally sound.

Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2006-08-29 11:23 PM (#47611 - in reply to #47552)

Expert

I use my trailer different than a lot of you. Most of these high end trailers never leave the black top. So they have a different purpose in mind. So what's good quality to man who rodeos 200 days a year, is not the same as good quality to me.

I never park in a fairground parking lot.

During the week I haul 20-40 minutes away and do an evening rides in the mountains to condition my horses. So my trailer needs to be easy to hook up and go.

Weekends I head for the mountains. Usually the end of a Forest Service gravel road. Occassional endurance or CTR ride often in another state.

Fall is hunting season and again finds me parked at remote trail heads. Where I ride all day and return to the trailer for dinner and bed.  TV reception usually is non-existent, so evening are spent standing around a campfire.

I need a trailer that

1. won't rattle apart going down gravel roads.

2. compact and with good ground clearance to navigate rough roads.

3. Since I'm fighting a loosing battle to keep my daughters and wife along. A few creature comforts helps bribe them to join me for the weekend. I like the heater, Wife and girls require the bathroom. Wife enjoys reading a book under the Awning

4. Awning is a must. In the mountains I don't need the A/C, But the trailer gets warm in the sun. The awning gives you extra living space to spread out.  It keeps the rain off the area right in front of the door, so I don't track as much mud in.

5.Gotta clean up easy. Teenage daughter can mess it up real fast. Couple of guys huting in 2 feet of snow in October make a real mess.

Bottom line, I won't spend $75,000 on a high end trailer, But the $25k I spent on a small brand weekender trailer serves me well.  evaluate how you will use your trailer and decide features are most important to you.

arlene21
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2006-08-30 1:26 AM (#47613 - in reply to #47552)

Veteran

What brands do you think meet the qualifications that you describe?
Tx. Vaquero
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2006-08-30 8:24 AM (#47623 - in reply to #47611)

Painted Horse- what brand trailer do you have? If it will hold up with the use you give it, one should last forever hauling down the road like I do. I envy you being able to ride in the mountains so often. By the way, I saw Salt Lake's Mayor on the news this morning, gotta make you proud.
clow
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2006-08-30 11:08 AM (#47636 - in reply to #47552)

Regular

I have the same use as Painted Horse, I opted for a Trailswest (steel trailer with an alumium roof) with the mid tack. So far, other than the price of diesel to pull it, I LOVE the trailer. By the way, I opted not to have the toilet and holding tanks, due to extra weight. I have a porta pottie and a cowboy shower in the first stall. I have a 35 gallon water tank under the sofa bed for showers and cooking. I have a 25 gallon corner tank for the horses, but have found that is not enough for a few days. I'll be adding a 40 gallon tank to the hay rack. Should give me enough for the 2-4 days we are gone. Cheersc
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2006-08-30 10:27 PM (#47660 - in reply to #47552)

Expert

I am on my 2nd Classic Trailer. The 1st trailer I kept for 5 years. Nothing wrong with it. I had one weld break on the catwalk along the side. The door stop/catch that held the Dressing room door open was a little underdesigned. It was a 3 horse GN trailer with no LQ.

So I bought a bigger trailer with a Weekend LQ package. It has a 24' box vs the 1st trailer's 19 foot box. Nothing fancy. But it does have a bath room for the girls, a built in furnace, a radio/CD player. I haul a generator in the truck bed and the girls use it to make Top Ramin noodles or popcorn. It's got a 19' awning and a water tank in the hayrack for the horses and 20 gallon tank under the coach.

As far as the Mayor of SLC. I could really hijack this thread and waste a lot of time. I let it lie.

TX, if you spend 200 days a year rodeoing. Then you probably spent a few days here in Utah. The Legacy Center in Farmington is a favorite stop over for cowboys working the rodeos around the west in the summer. With the big rodeos in Ogden & Salt Lake for the 24th of July and It's a 5 hour drive up to Boise or Cheyenne.  We see a lot of cowboys come out from Texas, OK etc and they base camp here for 2 weeks or so and make short hops to all the area rodeos.

This was my 1st classic trailer parked in Southern Utah. I frequently tie my horses to the trailer. As you can see, sometimes there is no place to highline them. 

arlene21
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2006-08-31 7:41 AM (#47669 - in reply to #47552)

Veteran

What doe this mean?   Mayor of SLC
Tx. Vaquero
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2006-08-31 8:00 AM (#47671 - in reply to #47660)

The original question was about resale values, and I've seen a lot of trailers that have minimal resale due to poor quality, and they fall apart when used hard. I am not in love with any one brand and have tried several, they are just a tool to me and if they don't work, they don't stay. Several years ago I was given a trailer to use as a promotional deal. I won't bash the brand or the dealer, but I was to pull the trailer for a year and they would pay my entries. The trailer was junk. After 8 months of patching it together, I parked it and hitched a ride with a buddy and called and told them where I left it. I am always willing to try a new one that will stay together. I usually sell one after a couple of years or so, somebody will see it and want it, so I get another one. When I am up your way I stay at a buddys' ranch south of Casper or with another buddy near Twin Falls. I try to work it so I can help them with their cattle work and we have a great time. Breaks the routine and good for the horses.Nice to see something besides cactus and rattlesnakes.
clow
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2006-08-31 9:40 AM (#47676 - in reply to #47552)

Regular

Painted Horse - What do you have on the side of your trailer where the horses are tied? Looks like some kind of protective cover. c
Tx. Vaquero
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2006-08-31 10:14 AM (#47679 - in reply to #47669)

Arlene21- mayor of SLC means the Mayor of Salt lake City,Utah, a real piece of work, of questionable sexual preferance and reputed to have been involved in one too many threeways with Harry Belafonte and Jane Fonda, if you get my drift. Don't mean to stir up any of the left wing liberals out there.
arlene21
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2006-08-31 10:32 AM (#47682 - in reply to #47552)

Veteran

I hope it was when they were younger!! Aren't Jane andHarry in their late 70s?