New Trailer has rotten ramp!
Lindsey
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2006-08-01 5:50 PM (#45834)
Subject: New Trailer has rotten ramp!

Went out to practice loading the horses in the new trailer today as it has a ramp instead of a step up. The first horse stepped off to the side and hit the edge of the ramp with his foot and knocks the trim piece loose and it cracks and all the rotten wood just falls out. Took the ramp apart and the wood is completly rotten! The aluminum is laminated to the wood so there is no way to just replace the wood and we are going to have to buy a whole new ramp.

Anyone know where to buy one for a Kiefer Built? What are we looking to pay for a new ramp?

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
dwnsouth
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2006-08-01 6:21 PM (#45836 - in reply to #45834)
Subject: RE: New Trailer has rotten ramp!

Regular

Ow wee!!!!!!!!  I am assuming the trailer is used because if not and it is new, I would definitely be calling my dealer!!!!  BUT.....even if it is used, depends on how old because some have a structural warranty that covers at least a few years(C&C has a 7 year warranty, Bloomer has a 10, Sundowner has one but I dont know how long).  If that is not the case any Keifer Built dealer can order you one.

I looked at the Keifer's and not one dealer told me they were wood with alunimum laminate over it but I have heard of this being a major problem with the ramps, windows and even the side walls of these trailers.  Scary!!!!!!!!!!

Lindsey
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2006-08-01 6:43 PM (#45837 - in reply to #45834)

It's 6 years old and am dissapointed that it is rotten, but this trailer is great, it doesn't even smell like horse inside, it was only used 4 or 5 times!

I don't know if the side wall are wood, I think just the ramp is because the extra weight of loading.

If we can't get one direct from Kiefer there is a guy around here who will built one from scratch for us.

Paints
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2006-08-01 9:17 PM (#45844 - in reply to #45834)

Veteran

WOW If you bought it NEW I would be on phone with dealership that day...........Sorry to hear an seems like you really dont use it that much either.Not to be rude but Never would buy ramp load trailer TOO much hassle an trouble for horse an person closing etc (JMHO)....

Jbsny
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2006-08-02 4:26 PM (#45911 - in reply to #45834)

Extreme Veteran

I have had to replace several ramps (but I paid someone to do it). I can't believe that you can't get the wood off and then screw more in...

Can you call Keifer and ask them how to replace the wood? Add on ramps tend to rot more than flush ones, and if the old owner left the ramp down, rather than putting it up, that would also encourage rot.

Jbsny
Lindsey
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2006-08-02 5:40 PM (#45918 - in reply to #45834)

We had some one cut the aluminum skin to the size we need and we picked iut up today along with marine strength wood that should not rot as easy. We just have to put that together and the new trim should be here Monday then we can put it all back together.
BigT
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-08-02 6:20 PM (#45920 - in reply to #45834)

Extreme Veteran

How thick is the plywood?  How long is the ramp? It sounds that you are going to secure aluminum skin to the plywood and then cover the ends with trim. Do you think that the plywood is strong enough to support your horse? My 4-star has a ramp that is 4' long. It has one piece of Stainless Steel that is bent at the ends, in which the wood is inserted. This ads strength to the ramp. In you case, the wood is supporting everything. My old Rustler 4 horse bumper pull has a 4' ramp that rotted away, I replaced the wood with treated lumber that was tongue and groove, glued together with Gorilla Glue.
Lindsey
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2006-08-02 7:23 PM (#45922 - in reply to #45834)

It's 3/4 inch and has two pieces of aluminum skn on each side. It's maybe a 3ft ramp and it's pretty strong. The ramp is already heavy for me now, I don't need steel!
windridge
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2007-03-23 5:58 PM (#57616 - in reply to #45834)
Subject: RE: New Trailer has rotten ramp and aluminum floor problems

In looking through posts on Kiefer trailers to see if anyone having the same problem I am I noticed this old post.  I have a Kiefer Genesis, 2002 model.  The ramp warped and fell apart, with the same plywood issue.  Kiefer admitted the company they outsourced the ramp and rear doors to did not make them properly.  It was Todco or something similar to that.  My trailer was still under the 3 year warranty and they replaced the ramp and rear doors.  Kiefer Mfg. admitted this was a problem and had a law suit against Todco for it BUT, they did not recall the trailers.  They left them out there knowing they were going to fall apart.  When I took it in to the dealership that I was sent to for warranty repairs they said they had seen some that literally just fell into shreds.  My trailer had been kept under cover its whole life.  Luckily they replaced it.  However, this same trailer now has major problems with the aluminum floor. At least 20 welds have come loose the floor is cracking and deteriorating.  Although the trailer is still covered under the 8 year warranty, Kiefer, at this time is refusing to repair as they do not consider the floor part of the structure.  Tell that to my horses...  This trailer is not in a coastal area nor in an area where road salts are an issue. 

iCE CRM
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2007-03-23 7:57 PM (#57620 - in reply to #57616)

Extreme Veteran

If it were me I would take the thing off and buy one of the rubber bumpers and forget it. They are always in the way to me but a lot of people really like them. You either love them or hate them.
Diamond V
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2007-03-23 9:15 PM (#57628 - in reply to #45834)

What model trailer do you have ??? It sounds like it might be the Eagle Model but I am not sure. The plywood is easily replaced. You can call Tammy at Kiefer Built at 888-254-3337. She is the Warranty & Parts Manager. If you are still having trouble after that give me a call and I will try to help you. My # is 704-546-5216.

Ricky Vaughn

Diamond V Trailer Sales

Kay
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-03-24 8:12 AM (#57667 - in reply to #45834)

Extreme Veteran

Most ramps have plywood cores, regardless of whether the trailer is all aluminum, composite, or steel.  We replace the wood in ramps frequently, and no particular brand is exempt from or prone to this problem.  Usually, the frame is steel or aluminum, with a sheet of metal, then the plywood, then the rubber matting, all of which fit into or on the frame.  In recent years most ramps are spring loaded and easy to lift, but weight is still an issue.  The rubber matting could weigh more than the wood.  Rotted wood in ramps can happen because the trailer is left with the ramp down, or because the trailer sits with the front end jacked up and all the water runs down across the rear doors and/or ramp.  Manure and bedding packed up against the ramp is a good source of moisture too.

It is a good idea to tramp all over your ramps once in a while to see if there are any "soft" spots.  If so, replace the wood before a hoof goes through it.

scoop
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-03-25 12:56 AM (#57728 - in reply to #57616)

Originally written by windridge on 2007-03-23 3:58 PM

In looking through posts on Kiefer trailers to see if anyone having the same problem I am I noticed this old post.  I have a Kiefer Genesis, 2002 model.  The ramp warped and fell apart, with the same plywood issue.  Kiefer admitted the company they outsourced the ramp and rear doors to did not make them properly.  It was Todco or something similar to that.  My trailer was still under the 3 year warranty and they replaced the ramp and rear doors.  Kiefer Mfg. admitted this was a problem and had a law suit against Todco for it BUT, they did not recall the trailers.  They left them out there knowing they were going to fall apart.  When I took it in to the dealership that I was sent to for warranty repairs they said they had seen some that literally just fell into shreds.  My trailer had been kept under cover its whole life.  Luckily they replaced it.  However, this same trailer now has major problems with the aluminum floor. At least 20 welds have come loose the floor is cracking and deteriorating.  Although the trailer is still covered under the 8 year warranty, Kiefer, at this time is refusing to repair as they do not consider the floor part of the structure.  Tell that to my horses...  This trailer is not in a coastal area nor in an area where road salts are an issue. 

Windridge - I don't know where you found this posting but I could have written very nearly the same thing.  Substitue 2003 for 2002 - and my ramp issue was slightly different - but the floor issue is the same.  As is the response from Kiefer - the floor is 'non-structural'.  And I too, live in a non-coastal area.

Ricky - who posted earlier - is a very nice person to deal with - and he made an effort to find a resolution between Kiefer and I.  But in the end, I am still in the same place.  Sent my last round of pictures to Kiefer on 3/12 which showed corrosion of the floor from the bottom-side going up (near the axles) - not just from the top-down and still haven't heard a word back from them.  To be completely fair, Kiefer did cover the ramp and the large number (I haven't counted them all) of welds that needed to be re-welded.

I've also "run into" another person on-line who had a 2001 who could have written the post about the 2002.

Such a shame - a very lovely trailer in many ways but in my experience not long-lived.  It does seem that many people are satisfied with their Kiefer trailers so perhaps the flooring issue is hit-and-miss (although Tammy did admit there are other trailers out there with the same problem as mine - mine was just the "worst").

Best of luck to you - and hopefully Ricky can help you out.

spinnin and grinnin
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2007-03-25 5:11 PM (#57759 - in reply to #45834)

I don't care what brand or how good a trailer is....if the flooring and ramp is not structurally sound, then the trailer is not one that would pull any horse I own. Have you ever seen what happens when the floor gives way with your horse in it? I haven't but have heard the horror stories. Get a sound trailer from a reputable company without issues of welds on the floor!!!Wish you luck getting yours fixed so it is safe for you and your horses.
psdoolittle
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2007-03-28 1:09 PM (#57935 - in reply to #57616)

Widridge, I sent you a pm. For some reason I have never successfully contacted a person by PM on this site, although have later met them on other BBs posting similar questions/replies. As for the OP's issue, I think many of us would be interested in hearing how this was resolved..... could you share the rest of the story with us?
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2007-03-28 3:21 PM (#57942 - in reply to #57759)

Expert

Every one has heard those horror stories.    How many are true?  My old landlord had a cow break through the floor once, she just pulled her leg back through the hole. She just ended up with a bit of roadrash above the hoof.  Of course thte whole trailer should never have been in use.  It was rusting apart and the floor was rotten. 
windridge
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2007-03-28 5:14 PM (#57949 - in reply to #57728)
Subject: Kiefer aluminum floors deteriorating

Kiefer did replace the ramp and back doors on my trailer--but only because it was still withing the 3 year bumper to bumper warranty period.  I have a feeling, based on the issue of the floor problem, that if it had been one day past the 3 years I would be "out of luck".  The problems of others with Kiefer floors deteriorating (while being maintained very well by the owner) explains why I cannot get a response from them and that they did not seem surprised by this news.  No offer of possible solutions.  Even though not top of the line in the trailer world, this trailer (Genesis SSL) is at the top of their line of trailers and their customers should receive better treatment.  They allege they will call you back, but never do and are masters at sending you to voice mail boxes.  I actually like the trailer design,but I would NEVER consider another Kiefer based on the apparent lack of quality control.  I would at least like to receive some possible solutions from them as to what to do.  If anyone has repaired their trailer floor any suggestions they would be appreciated.  In its current state it is not even tradeable for another brand of trailer.  It cost too much to just walk away from.  

Edited by windridge 2007-03-28 5:16 PM
hpinand
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-04-09 7:37 PM (#58935 - in reply to #45834)

Had the same thing happen with a 3 year old Cotner trailer. Replaced it myself with pressure treated 3/4 plywood. Called Cotner and they said they would have replaced it free. but I'm in NJ and they are in Pa. I think water got in between the Alum and the wood. sealed it good with sealer.