New campground in Harrison County Indiana
PeruvianRider
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-06-26 9:27 AM (#43631)
Subject: New campground in Harrison County Indiana

A privately owned campground will have its grand opening this weekend for July 4th. You will have access to more than 100 miles of horseback riding off the campground in the state park. It will open primitive with electric and water to be installed by the fall. The campground has 40 sites for $12 a night. Bring your own picket line for now. Hitching posts will be installed by the fall also. Call Norman or Laura at 812-738-8981 or email at ComeAgainLLC@aol.com for more info. Harrison county is about 30-40 minutes west of Louisville KY with some beautiful but rugged terrain.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Dwight
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2006-06-26 8:45 PM (#43676 - in reply to #43631)
Subject: RE: New campground in Harrison County Indiana

Extreme Veteran

That sounds great! We are always looking for new places and we really prefer the smaller, privately owned camps. May be a good place to try for the spring.

RIDE ON!

ComeAgainHorseCamp
Reg. Sep 2006
Posted 2006-09-01 8:12 AM (#47713 - in reply to #43631)

New User

We currently have 16 electric sites, and 24 primitive sites.  Rates are: Electric: Monday - Thursday $18 per night.  Friday, Saturday and Holidays $21 per night.  Primitive $12 per night.  Shower House is due to open in the Spring. We also have a Tack Shop on site and do custom leather work. Feel free to contact us if you have any questions!! 

812-738-8981 or comeagainllc@aol.com.

Hope to see you soon!!!

ComeAgainHorseCamp
Reg. Sep 2006
Posted 2007-02-15 12:47 PM (#55617 - in reply to #43631)

New User

Check out our web site at http://www.comeagainhorsecamp.com/   See you in the Spring!
Dwight
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2007-02-15 4:56 PM (#55633 - in reply to #43631)

Extreme Veteran

Where is Harrison County?          

Some info on the trails would be good too!

RIDE ON!

Z71
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2007-02-15 6:27 PM (#55642 - in reply to #43631)

Veteran

Come again horsecamp - in your rules you stated D.N.R. bridle tags required.  What is this?  I've never seen this in the rules on any other horse camp.  Looks like you have a great camp and hope I can make it over there sometime.

Dwight
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2007-02-16 1:05 PM (#55683 - in reply to #43631)

Extreme Veteran

MidWest also requires bridle tags for riding in the Hoosier Nat'l. Forest.  The charge is $3/horse/day and the money goes to trail upkeep...which they do a very good job of.

I would gladly pay that here in KY if it meant that the trails would be better kept (free of fallen trees, mudholes filled, etc.).  And that more trails would remain open to horses.  We have already lost the right to ride on several trails in the Mammoth Cave Nat'l. Forest.  Pretty soon the eco-nuts will have it ALL.

RIDE ON!

Edited by Dwight 2007-02-16 1:50 PM
Dwight
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2007-02-16 1:08 PM (#55684 - in reply to #43631)

Extreme Veteran

MidWest also requires bridle tags for riding in the Hoosier Nat'l. Forest.  The cost is $3/horse/day.  The money goes to trail upkeep.

RIDE ON!

inIndiana
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2007-02-28 12:27 AM (#56461 - in reply to #43631)

Veteran

There is also new camping area in O'Bannon Woods (Harrison-Crawford) State Park in southern IN.  They took some of the family camping sites to change into horse sites. The Indiana Trail Riders (ITRA)  helped design them and do some of the work on the hitch rails. The family sites were not getting utilized so they asked the trail riders if we would use them, Oh Yes we will!!! You can make reservations to this and other Indiana State Parks that offer riding at  http://www.camp.in.gov/   DNR stands for Dept. of Natural Resources.  State park properties require horse tags and State forests require different ones.  They are usually available at locations near the riding area.  Oh I just remembered, there is a horse camping going in at Deam Lake in Southern In. too.  Lots of new places for you guys across the river to come and ride.

On another note:  The ITRA has been working with Kentucky on trail issues.  There is a origination in this area called OVETS (ohio valley equestrian trail)  I just drew a blank on the official name, but you get idea.  Ohio, Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, Illinois and I think a couple other states met at the National Trails Symposium and started this to concentrate on this area of the Midwest.  If anyone would like more info on OVETS or ITRA, pm me and I can get  you info.

inIndiana
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2007-02-28 12:33 AM (#56462 - in reply to #43631)

Veteran

There is also new camping area in O'Bannon Woods (Harrison-Crawford) State Park in southern IN.  They took some of the family camping sites to change into horse sites. The Indiana Trail Riders (ITRA)  helped design them and do some of the work on the hitch rails. The family sites were not getting utilized so they asked the trail riders if we would use them, Oh Yes we will!!! You can make reservations to this and other Indiana State Parks that offer riding at  http://www.camp.in.gov/   DNR stands for Dept. of Natural Resources.  State park properties require horse tags and State forests require different ones.  They are usually available at locations near the riding area.  Oh I just remembered, there is a horse camping going in at Deam Lake in Southern In. too.  Lots of new places for you guys across the river to come and ride.

On another note:  The ITRA has been working with Kentucky on trail issues.  There is a origination in this area called OVETS (ohio valley equestrian trail)  I just drew a blank on the official name, but you get idea.  Ohio, Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, Illinois and I think a couple other states met at the National Trails Symposium and started this to concentrate on this area of the Midwest.  If anyone would like more info on OVETS or ITRA, pm me and I can get  you info.

PeruvianRider
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-04-13 1:22 PM (#59224 - in reply to #43631)

The new campground at O Bannon is very TIGHT to say the least. I have been to this campground. The road is barely wide enough to manuever through with a gooseneck horse trailer and the spots are very close together. You can ride the same trails from Come Again Horsecamp which is privately owned and you do not have to deal with the DNR like you do when staying at the state park.
inIndiana
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2007-04-14 1:50 AM (#59262 - in reply to #43631)

Veteran

Sorry you don't like the new camp. At least its more places for horsemen to camp. Not all camps are ideal. At least we got more sites given to us and not taken away.
Deam Lake also has a new campground for horses in southern Indiana.
PeruvianRider
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-04-14 8:16 AM (#59271 - in reply to #43631)

Harrison Crawford before it became O Bannon had and still has a very large Horseman's campground with large wide spots, hitching posts and a wide road that you can maneuver a trailer on. This campground very rarely stays full. The new campground they "gave" horse people did not even have hitching posts the last time I was there. Have they added them recently? It is not that I do not like it, I just do not think that it is better than the old campground except that it does offer electric and a much higher price tag to camp at.
RideMidwest
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2007-04-14 6:40 PM (#59293 - in reply to #43631)

New User