Is it me or my mare
deranger
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2006-06-04 6:48 AM (#42607)
Subject: Is it me or my mare

Elite Veteran

My mare is a 12 year old half arab, half paint and has had 2 foals in the past 5 years.  After her last foal I gave her about 2 years off from trail riding due to the fact she let me know she didn't want to go.  I didn't have the time to diagnose right then and took another horse on the trails for a while.  Last year, I started riding her again and she was enjoyable to ride again.  A few weeks ago, I rode her for 2 days in a wagon train for about 45 miles and she was as good as she has ever been.  The following weekend, I attempted to trail ride her and she was an absolute pill!  Rooting at the bit, not relaxing, in go mode the whole day and pulled my arms out of the sockets all day.  I walked her off and on part of the day and she didn't even want to walk next to me and kept trying to pass me.  I've tried everything I can think of and can't come up with a reason for her behavior.  Weather was about the same, there were some wagons on the second trail ride, she was with her pasture buddy, same saddle, same tack and same rigging.  Nothing I can think of should have made that much difference except between her ears?  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-06-04 7:48 AM (#42608 - in reply to #42607)
Subject: RE: Is it me or my mare

Expert

She let you know she didn't want to go? Then the rest sounds like a fit horse with a lot of disrespect for the human in control.Back to basics in a round pen or arena.Lots of backing,transitions etc.Gain control.YOU dictate speed and where and when.
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2006-06-04 11:34 AM (#42613 - in reply to #42607)

Expert

Bad behavior got her out of it once so she is trying it again. You gave her 2 years off and she liked it.

I haven't ridden any of my horses since Oct (broke my ankle) and can guarantee at least 1 is going to give me the same problem.

N2ridin
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2006-06-04 3:58 PM (#42617 - in reply to #42607)

Elite Veteran

Is she in season?
deranger
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2006-06-04 7:21 PM (#42619 - in reply to #42617)

Elite Veteran

She was in season about a week before the first wagon train.
deranger
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2006-06-04 7:23 PM (#42620 - in reply to #42608)

Elite Veteran

Hounddog, I agree with your thoughts, but why was she excellent the first weekend and a pill the second weekend?
deranger
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2006-06-04 7:29 PM (#42621 - in reply to #42613)

Elite Veteran

My neighbor rides her in an arena twice a week doing some dressage work, I ride her at least once a week western to keep her going on the trail and I do some roundpen work with her at least once a week as well.  She does not act up at anytime during those sessions.  She is a proud mare and VERY smart.  She is the pasture queen around our place, but is pretty respectful and very affectionate for the most part.  Needless to say, she has her moods and I'm wondering if this is the problem?
horsin around
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2006-06-04 7:46 PM (#42622 - in reply to #42607)

Extreme Veteran

I have one that's very smart and the trainer said he'll probably always try me here and there to see what he can get away with.  After he finds out he can't get away with his behaviour or he'll really have to work hard, he quits.

I had a saddle that didn't fit well on this horse and didn't realize I had a bad fitting saddle until that saddle started putting a white mark on another horse.  The saddle was sold to me used by a saddle maker so I thought he should know what the saddle was.  He sold it as an extra wide and after calling the saddle company, I found it was narrow but didn't really look it.  After buying a new saddle with an extra wide tree and two chiropractor treatments, I have a completely different acting horse.  He's relaxed and doesn't have to go, go, go. 

longearsrule
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2006-06-05 8:38 AM (#42631 - in reply to #42622)

Extreme Veteran

I am with Horsin Around on the chiropractor. Have a friend that her horse was good one week and the next a complete nut. Her back was out in a couple of places and after a few adjustments she was a different animal. I know adjustments work on me, so why not a horse. I have a mule I'd like to have checked out if I can find one close to me.
deranger
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2006-06-06 6:33 AM (#42666 - in reply to #42622)

Elite Veteran

horsin around, I agree with your thoughts on what might be going with my mare.  My neighbor and I have noodled that one over in the last couple of weeks too.  We had scheduled a trail ride this past weekend, but weather and kids kept me off the trail.  Our plan was to take my wife's gelding and my mare and let my neighbor ride the gelding.  My neighbor wanted to see what she would do on a long trail ride.  If she started acting up we were planning on swiching saddles and then switching riders to see if we could get a handle on her behavior and if it was due to pain.  We still plan on getting that done as a "controlled experiment" to get a handle on her behavior.  I love my mare and want her to be happy so I can enjoy her on the trail.
hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-06-07 6:00 PM (#42744 - in reply to #42607)

Expert

I'd lounge close in,lots of ground work backing,moving over,if she walks past you correct and not allowed past your shoulder.Round pen work,side passes,backing,walk,stop back,turn etc.GET CONTROL.Get her foucus on YOU.If on a wagon train and she starts to charge turn go the oher way,turn and only allow a WALK.If she charges again get correcting UNTIL she is focused on YOU.Basics.I feed 6 yearlings and two year olds once a day.They HAVE to back,turn,stop etc.just going to the stall to eat and after eating stand tied until QUITET and the same deal leaving the stall.I even correct pawing and food slinging.They CAN even learn good table manners.Sometimes the time I do this is only in the 100 foot walk to the barn just a few manuvers on the way.But the point is they are focused on ME.Not anything else.
deranger
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2006-06-08 6:50 AM (#42763 - in reply to #42744)

Elite Veteran

Hounddog, excellent advice and I try to do most of it already.  I'm a big fan of Charles Wilhelm and have a few of his video tapes that I use on a regular basis.  She can be a little pushy, but not bad.  We have 4 foster kids in the house and 4 horses in the barn.  All the kids can go to the barn with me and I feel comfortable they will be safe around the horses because they have good ground manners.  I can't take the risk of having a "bad horse" in the barn with 4 foster kids.  We would lose our certification for foster care. 

Something that I keep coming back to is my saddle.  My wife and I have tried to reason this situation out with a "time line" on events concerning my mare's behavior.  I'm starting to think it's the saddle.  My western saddle is Circle Y, 16" seat and full skirt.  I'm going to ride my mare in a couple of different saddles in the next month and see what happens.  My mare was always good and this behavior didn't start until she had a couple of foals.  I'm wondering if her body has changed enough from birthing 2 foals that the saddle is causing her some discomfort?  Happy trails.

hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-06-08 10:27 AM (#42770 - in reply to #42607)

Expert

Folks seem to ALWAYS look at equipment.Most of the time its NOT.One thing you stated was even WALKING off the mare she was trying to pass you.Thats NOT equipment!
deranger
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2006-06-09 7:13 AM (#42794 - in reply to #42770)

Elite Veteran

Hounddog, once again you are pointing out the obivious for me and I apprecitate it.  I guess I have a complicated mare on my hands and this goes back to the fact that I never listened to my dad until it was too late and I learned the lesson the hard way.  He always told me to stay away from redheads......my mare is sorrel.  Happy trails.
hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-06-09 7:30 AM (#42795 - in reply to #42607)

Expert

Not complicaterd.Just a HORSE.They all do it to some degree.Get her mind soft.Have a great day!
deranger
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2006-06-11 3:48 AM (#42853 - in reply to #42795)

Elite Veteran

Getting her mind soft is pretty easy with her and thanks for bringing that up.  My neighbor has an extra stall and I think I'm going to take my mare "out of her comfort zone" and away from her herd for a while.  Change of scenary should do her good and get her more focused on the task at hand. Happy trails.
hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-06-11 7:46 AM (#42856 - in reply to #42607)

Expert

There you go.
SLICKRNSNOT
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2006-06-13 1:41 PM (#42964 - in reply to #42607)

Elite Veteran

Sounds like a respect issue.My arab will start this and I put her to work. Make her do something,If she pulls pr pushes on the bit turn her in circles and let her decide if she wants to work or relax.When I walk any of My horses and they try to pass I poke em with an elbow of spin the end of My lead rope, if they get too close pop em right in the chest.You have to ger their respect or they will run over you.
R.E.S.P.E.C.T. Controll starts on the ground if you can't controll em on the ground you sure can't do it on their back !!

Good riden to ya !6
hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-06-13 4:46 PM (#42973 - in reply to #42607)

Expert

You said it

deranger
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2006-06-14 5:33 AM (#42991 - in reply to #42964)

Elite Veteran

SLICKRNSNOT, once again, I agree with what you've shared.  Here's my problem; she's not consistant when she is giving me a problem. Example; I rode her the weekend before Memorial Day and she was "push button" for two days and 42 miles.  The next weekend, she pulled on me and rooted at the bit so hard that I had to loop my "getdownrope" around the horn so the string halter under her bridle would keep her from rooting.  My neighbor does dressage work with my mare on Tues and Thurs evenings every week and she is not a problem.  My neighbor is even starting to make comments like, "I'm really starting like her, she is so affectionate, wow she stands so nice in cross ties, she's a really nice mover,she likes getting a bath," and so on.  My neighbor didn't like arabs until she started riding my mare.  Please offer any other comments/opinions you have to help me figure out what's going on with my mare, so that I can enjoy her on the trail. Thanks and happy trails.
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2006-06-14 9:41 AM (#42998 - in reply to #42991)

Expert

Maybe she is starting to develop a "thing" for your neighbour.   Part of the Arab breeding was for loyalty and if your neighbour has been handling her that much she may be bonding with her. 
hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-06-14 10:10 AM (#43001 - in reply to #42607)

Expert

Naw

Lots of horses loose focus in crowds,excitement etc.need to regain foucus in those situations.Also may NOT respect owner but the OTHER rider.Happens all the time.I had a old gelding that was great for me and great for kids.BUT another adult and me out of sight.WOW.He could unload,rear,get sullen as SOON as I was out of sight.If 'I" stayed near and said YOU better NOT he'd act like a angel.Actually it was DAMN IT RED! Then he'd be good.UNLESS we got out of sight of one another.I put up with THREE WEEKS of riding him everday of refusing to leave barn,running back to barn,bucking,rearing straight up etc.Dangerous!!! With a GROUP you could NOT get off to go to the rest room.He'd run all over you just trying to hold him.I fixed him before I knew the RIGHT way. He scrared the heck out of me daily.OLD man said HANG ON take a SWITCH,stay out of his mouth and WEAR IT OUT.By god it worked.One day after a session,he locked down,shook all over and NEVER EVER pulled a stunt with me and I had him 6 years after that and TRUSTED him ANYWHERE to go,move,through any thing I asked anytime or any situation.Found out later he had pulled ALL of the above on two other owners who after ONE afternoon of him would NOT get back on.He was a GREAT horse.He was also VERY smart. I would NOT do a animal that way again.It can be done by legs,firmness,hands etc.Others it can ruin.That horse DID NOT HOLD A GRUDGE.Some do. He got old and his mind was young.Lots of GO but his body could not take it.I gave him to a older lady I knew for LIGHT weekend at the park stuff.He was 26.Now he'd be 32 if still kicking.He also never pulled anything on her by that time eaither.

Edited by hounddog 2006-06-14 10:43 AM
Beth
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2006-06-18 10:14 PM (#43224 - in reply to #42607)

Veteran

Derenger,

I can appreciate your predicament.  I have owned and bred Arabs and half Arabs for 30 yrs.  It has been my experience that most horses will tell you what the problem is if we all just take the time to listen.  Obviously we have a lauguage barrier so all the more important it is for us to listen and read a horse's body language.  Most people lose patience and get angry & upset.....they blame the horse right off the bat.  Horses do not go out of their way to cause conflict with us....most generally they are peaceful and even tempered.  Never accept what you think might be the obvious answer....if your horse is being worked successfully in trail and dressage 3-4 times a week it would seem to me she is getting adequate training and is being respectful. She is getting older, maybe her old tack doesn't fit her properly anymore, maybe she is in pain or discomfort from something you can't see.  Something is bothering your horse....you need to figure out what it is.  Give her the benefit of the doubt, listen to your horse.

deranger
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2006-06-19 8:12 AM (#43232 - in reply to #43224)

Elite Veteran

Beth, if you read all the previous posts, especially mine, I think you would understand that I'm already doing what you are suggesting. By example, I've asked my neighbor, dressage rider, for a second opinion. Due to the fact that she weighs half as much as I do with tack and she is an experienced rider with very technical skills. That has taken a weight issue out of the picture. My neighbor and I both have been very concerned from the beginning that "she is running from pain" when she is acting up on a trail ride and have gone through a methodical process of eliminating factors that we can produce in a controlled environment. In the recent weeks, my neighbor has narrowed it down to "my mare is popping her shoulder to the outside in turns to the left." Last week, "she's popping her shoulder out on turns to the right." My neighbor had been reluctant to canter my mare since she is a big mare and my neighbor didn't know her that well. At my urging, she cantered last Thursday off and on for half an hour and she did great. Working her at the trot after the cantering was significantly different and better. We have narrowed the problem down to a possible lack of fitness in her shoulder area? We are still not sold on the idea that this is the only problem. I'm starting to believe that my mare doesn't want to be trail ridden and only wants to be a show mare. Too many reasons to list how I'm arriving at that hypothosis, I just know my mare, but not as well as I would like to. This goes back to what you said about the language barrier.  I have consulted with my vet and had my vet check her for ANYTHING that would cause her pain/discomfort of any type. I have consulted with my farrier and he has not been able to identify anything either.  My neighbor and I are not sold on any one thing that is causing her to act the way she does.  The more my neighbor rides her, the better she gets. This weekend, I put my mare on "bute" for 48 hours for the neighbor to ride her tonight and see if the "bute" makes her feel or act any different while ridden. If there is a BIG difference, we know there is some pain involved with the problem. If there is no difference, we know that pain is not a factor. After tonight, I'll know if I need to take this investigation to the next level or just start working on getting a physical conditioning problem solved. One last thing we want to do is take her on the trail for a day. If she starts acting up we are going to switch riders, then switch tack and finally go to a backback pad and see if any of these experiments make a difference. Please offer any suggestions you can. Happy trails.
hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-06-19 12:27 PM (#43258 - in reply to #42607)

Expert

Wow.Maybe a month away with a Moorman or Anmish family that works horses or a real cowboy and body and MIND may LIKE trail riding again.Got a good example of a older farmer gentleman and his mule that didn't like certain aspects of plowing or harness and would throw a fit for unknown reasons and a Moorman whom he and sons started and fixed such issues with mules and horses.OR ride that mare on a 10 DAY WAGON train and I bet its a differant animal half way through it.

Edited by hounddog 2006-06-19 4:23 PM
gemm
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2006-06-20 2:01 AM (#43296 - in reply to #42607)

Extreme Veteran

Did she get any different feed on the trail ride? I ask this because my very mellow gelding was an absolute pill last month on a week-long trail ride. I finally figured out he was getting alfalfa as "treats". Boy, he was high as a kite! Not at all like his normal self. Needless to say, he's back on straight grass from now on.
deranger
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2006-06-21 7:15 AM (#43369 - in reply to #43296)

Elite Veteran

Hi gemm, great question and the answer I'm offering makes me think you might be on to something. I gave my mare and my wife's gelding some 12% feed that morning, but only about one and a half quarts each. I didn't think that would make much of a difference, but evidently you aren't the only one that thought it could have an effect.  One of the other trail riders asked me the same question in a round about way that evening and suggested not giving them ANY grain, unless they absolutely needed it and they were already getting it on a regular basis. I had forgotten about that conversation until I read your question. Like I said, maybe you are on to something with the feed? Let me see what comes up with her behavior in the next few weeks after experimenting with the feed and seeing if I can duplicate the scenario on the trail ride. Now that I think about it, I fed her the same feed, the same way on the first trail ride a week before the Memorial Day trail ride. Hmmmmmm, guess I'll keep working on this and thanks for the input. Happy trails.

hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-06-21 7:32 AM (#43370 - in reply to #42607)

Expert

I've also had a WELL schooled horse that on a wgaon train was not paying attention and was a type A pill.Rode him away from the crowd,noise and was a gentleman.Same with Field  trialers.Horses are green to such and get caught up in the excitement.Not feed or gear,schooling and experiance.
deranger
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2006-06-21 3:27 PM (#43405 - in reply to #43370)

Elite Veteran

hounddog, once again I agree with what you are saying, but there's a problem making it fit with my mare. Remember, she was almost perfect the week before on a similar wagon train. If wagons and such were going to "wig her out," don't you think it would have happened both weekends? Let me know what you think. Happy trails.
hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-06-21 4:00 PM (#43407 - in reply to #42607)

Expert

On a big ride or wagon train and being a pill RIDE off or head back and get ALONE and ride and see.I just don't agree with the tack fit/feed thing.Kinda like WE"LL I need a HARSHER bit thing etc.My points in the last few posts I made is most horses don't get humble to mans wishes eaither due to a lack of schooling(experiance/green etc) pr lack of respect for THE person on their back. bet if a WEEKS worth of every day on a wagon train she'd settle down(tired/routine/conserving energy as in its another long day of miles etc) because I've seen it many many times and been there done it many times.I've been on a 10 day wagon train and ALL the hard chargers GOTTA GO GO ones ALL settled down and got REAL obedient. Read a article once about soured high dollar barrel horses being sent/used in a pack string for a while or a rancher with so much BIG land that after a few days running amuck all freetfull got humble to the person on them and worked at the task at hand.Same deal.Yours is a age old issue this day and age.Moormans put that mule TO WORK and after a month of TRAINING(LOL) worked good for the other old man for a while.At least until another long vacation lol. 
deranger
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2006-06-22 5:46 AM (#43427 - in reply to #43407)

Elite Veteran

houddog, once again, I can't disagree with your logic and you bring it with a lot of experience and facts. Overall, I think you are right because my mare is "a thinker" and does not submit well. She has a lot of pride, is pretty and she knows it. I think you are hitting the nail on the head with your approach to solving my problem with my favorite mare. Plus the fact, that I'm probably thinking about the problem too much as well. My only fear is there's a problem physically with her being a pill and between me worrying about it and the neighbor doing an excellent job eliminating it, I think we've got that part of taken care of. I'm going to concentrate on the training part of it, take her out of her comfort zone, maybe box stall her for a few days, demote her from her position as "queen of the paddock" and move on from there. Thanks for your input houddog, I appreciate it. Happy trails.