Gaited Horse Saddles
bjhouten
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2006-05-06 6:32 PM (#41364)
Subject: Gaited Horse Saddles

Extreme Veteran

I've decided to buy a TN Walker for trail riding. I rode a horse today, that was not a fit for me, but I sure liked the saddle! It was a Tucker Equitation Endurance. Since I don't know much about the gaited horse world I was wondering how to select a saddle for my future TN Walker. I only plan to trail ride this future horse so I'm interested in a saddle more confortable for long rides than my hard seat cutting saddle. I noticed that alot of the Walker folks on the trail have saddles without fenders. Is this desireable on Walkers? Someone told me to avoid a tree with shirting that goes near the shoulder. Is there a brand of saddle with the quality of the Tucker, but at a lower price? Confort for the horse, then me is at the top of my requirements for this saddle. I was told the Tucker I rode was a 17" and it was a little tight for me front to back. My cutting saddle is a 17" and fits me real good with room to move around in. Does anyone have a Crest Ridge Saddle?

BTW: I'm not giving up cutting, just adding a TN Walker to my herd.
Thx,
Betty
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
sable812
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2006-05-06 7:08 PM (#41366 - in reply to #41364)
Subject: RE: Gaited Horse Saddles

Veteran

Get your TWH then look for a saddle.  They are hard to fit if you are going to ride on long trail rides.  I have had many TWH and 5 Tuckers.  All of the Tuckers put hot spots on the shoulder area on all the TWH  I ride long and in the mountains.   That is harder on saddle fit I think.

Tuckers are the most comfortable and pretty saddles.  They just dont' work for me.  I have tried the montreal, equitation endurance, cheyenne oldtimer, and endurance.  My horses have been two year old slim models to aged fill out models. 

I ride now in a Bob Marshall treeless and have for 4 or 5 years.  I just bought a National Bridle TWH saddle.  It fits my aged gelding.  He is big bodied.  Just hold your horses until you find a great TWH for you. 

I have a great 4 year old graly for sale. 

bjhouten
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2006-05-06 7:33 PM (#41368 - in reply to #41364)

Extreme Veteran

sable812 could you send me p-email about the horse you have for sale? I was unable to send email to you for some reason.

Thx,
Betty
Jean F.
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2006-05-07 7:03 PM (#41396 - in reply to #41364)

Regular

Gaited horse trees have a bit more flare in the shoulder - it opens up the shoulder. But a special gaited tree is not the "be all and end-all" to all saddle-fitting issues. Brenda Imus makes a nice one that alot of folks rave about on her forums. Another quality maker is "About the Horse" who makes a variety of trees with rock, twist, flare, etc to fit most anything. I probably should have gotten one of the above named saddles. I have an Orthoflex that has been upgraded to the new Amera-Flex panels, but a wider tree would have been an ideal fit for my Foxtrotter. It is heavenly to ride in.

Hearsay is that Tuckers run narrow.

Get the new horse first, then get your saddle to fit him.

Edited by Jean F. 2006-05-07 7:31 PM
hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-05-07 7:33 PM (#41403 - in reply to #41364)

Expert

Try www.crestridgesaddlery.com   real hellpful folks,good prices and PICKY about tree and saddle fit. I also have TWHBEA's for sale.

Edited by hounddog 2006-05-07 7:37 PM
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2006-05-07 11:31 PM (#41416 - in reply to #41364)

Also have registered and non registered TWH for sale.  I have a National Bridle Shop Tennesseean Supreme that fits my 13 year old gelding very well, and fits my 3 year old filly too.  For trail riding I am mostly using a Courbette endurance saddle with a 32 cm tree and modified cut back head.  If you are thinking about a field trial type saddle, imo the very best is the Jack Haggis, London, Ontario.  They will modify to suit you and your horse.  I had one which was customized for me and a horse that was a little narrow.  Sold it but would buy another Haggis if I wanted the trooper style.  I like the english type saddles because of the light weight and they come in all sorts of sizes to fit just about any horse.  If you have a minute you might want to look at gaitsofgold.com and showstoppertack.com and nationalbridle.com

Also please look at my site cloudfarms.com for photos of our horses. 

bjhouten
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2006-05-08 12:08 PM (#41448 - in reply to #41364)

Extreme Veteran

Thanks everyone for the advice on saddles. The list will keep me busy for awhile. I'm trying to keep my horse shopping within a 150 miles radius of Dallas, TX. It is good to see what horses are available around the country.

Thx,
Betty
my3horses
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2006-05-08 3:06 PM (#41460 - in reply to #41364)

Veteran

I have recently purchased a saddle from Crestridge.  They seem to be very knowledgeable.  I love my new saddle.  Do what they tell you, and it will fit.
windwalker2
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-05-09 9:08 AM (#41491 - in reply to #41364)

Extreme Veteran

I own a TWH and ride with a Bob Marshall Treeless saddle.  Best thing I ever did was to buy this saddle.  I noticed a "huge" difference in my horse's gaiting once I switched to a treeless.  All my other horses like it too.  My husband now rides with a western Bob Marshall and loves it. Never thought he would have given up his Billy Cook for a treeless, but he did.
bjhouten
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2006-05-09 11:39 AM (#41498 - in reply to #41364)

Extreme Veteran

Does anyone in the Dallas area have an Allegan Mountain Saddle? I sent them email and in 30 minutes he called me back & answered my questions. When I get my horse he will send three different trees to try, so I'd like to get a look at one in person.
Thx,
-Betty
jackbrat
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2006-05-10 2:32 AM (#41525 - in reply to #41498)

Elite Veteran

I rode in and liked the "Crates" endurance saddle. Real comfortable, western style without the horn. Out of the Tucker saddles, the new "River-Plantation" saddle looks real nice. Me, I like western style fenders. Thin narrower ones though. As seen on the new Tucker Plantation.  english leathers gave me scars on the insides of my legs from rubbing. Also look at stirrups, the endurance stirrups with thick rubber soles are real nice too-good for sore or bad knees. Be careful with the treeless saddles--Are you light-weight or heavy? A thing to consider. All your weight will be in one spot on your horses back. If you are light-they are o.k. Another nice saddle is the "Specialized saddles" The stirrup fenders on the western style are awesome. I had the" Montreal Trooper" made by Tucker, It has the same exact fender design as the "Specialized and I loved them! I have bad knees and never had knee pain on a ride with this fender design(I do long-distance) If you look at endurance saddles, you will most likely like what you see. They are made for comfort!

bjhouten
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2006-05-10 10:22 AM (#41541 - in reply to #41525)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by jackbrat on 2006-05-10 2:32 AM

I rode in and liked the "Crates" endurance saddle. Real comfortable, western style without the horn. Out of the Tucker saddles, the new "River-Plantation" saddle looks real nice. Me, I like western style fenders. Thin narrower ones though. As seen on the new Tucker Plantation.  english leathers gave me scars on the insides of my legs from rubbing. Also look at stirrups, the endurance stirrups with thick rubber soles are real nice too-good for sore or bad knees. Be careful with the treeless saddles--Are you light-weight or heavy? A thing to consider. All your weight will be in one spot on your horses back. If you are light-they are o.k. Another nice saddle is the "Specialized saddles" The stirrup fenders on the western style are awesome. I had the" Montreal Trooper" made by Tucker, It has the same exact fender design as the "Specialized and I loved them! I have bad knees and never had knee pain on a ride with this fender design(I do long-distance) If you look at endurance saddles, you will most likely like what you see. They are made for comfort!

I'm in the "ideal" weight range for my height, 5'6". I do like the looks of the Tucker River Plantation saddle. I have a friend that has the model from a year ago, medium tree, and plan to ride it when I get my new horse (hopefully this weekend). She says it is too narrow for her mare in the withers. To me she has a narrow wither mare. Her husband has another style Tucker with a wide tree, and I hope to try that one also for fit also. I've heard from several people that they have problems with the Tucker rubbing sore spots on their horse at the withers. It's a top priority to get a good fitting saddle for my horse the first time around.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has trouble with the english style leathers rubbing, as I was leaning towards with plantation fenders and the english style leathers to reduce the stress on my knees. I'm also planning on the endurance stirrups and an endurance type saddle.

I had a Crates westren trail saddle 7 years ago and thought it was an extremely confortable saddle, wish I hadn't sold it. Thanks for all the advice!
Thx,
Betty
hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-05-10 10:36 AM (#41543 - in reply to #41364)

Expert

The Crates and others with referance to how they look and feel for you.What about how they FIT the horse.It seems with saddle fit the conversation even from lots of saddle makers is always about looks and how it fits the person.Not the animal.Thats one of the reasons  like talking to the folks at Crestridge was the stress they put on how it fits the HORSE and then its about style and seat for you.They do lots of mules(really hard to fit)and gaited horses.Maybe thats why they stress HORSE FIT so much.

bjhouten
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2006-05-10 11:02 AM (#41547 - in reply to #41543)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by hounddog on 2006-05-10 10:36 AM

The Crates and others with referance to how they look and feel for you.What about how they FIT the horse.It seems with saddle fit the conversation even from lots of saddle makers is always about looks and how it fits the person.Not the animal.Thats one of the reasons  like talking to the folks at Crestridge was the stress they put on how it fits the HORSE and then its about style and seat for you.They do lots of mules(really hard to fit)and gaited horses.Maybe thats why they stress HORSE FIT so much.

Hounddog,

I did say in my previous post "It's a top priority to get a good fitting saddle for my horse the first time". If the saddle makes the horse sore, it doesn't matter how well it fits the rider. But, if your back, knees and feet hurt, it's not a good deal either. I do like the Crest Ridge Ovation & Guffey. It seems all the good saddle makers are concerned about good saddle fit for the horse. The goal is to finding the one who is successful most of the time for both the horse & rider.

-Betty

sable812
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2006-05-10 10:56 PM (#41585 - in reply to #41364)

Veteran

in  answer toyour question about English leather rubbing.  They make fleece covers for the leathers. I ordered them from SaddleupTrailriders.com  They fit the tucker, but the tucker did not fit the horse.   
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2006-05-11 11:18 AM (#41605 - in reply to #41364)

We wear chaps, half chaps or tall boots with the english type saddles.  That solves the problem with the english type leathers rubbing.
bjhouten
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2006-05-13 8:56 PM (#41674 - in reply to #41364)

Extreme Veteran

Here's a picture of my new TN Walker

http://www.horsetrailerworld.com/forum/photos/photo-thumbnails.asp?...

She has pretty rounded withers and my current saddle rolls side to side pretty good on her. She's very sweet, and nicely gaited. Can't wait to get her out on the trail.

-Betty
hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-05-13 9:21 PM (#41676 - in reply to #41364)

Expert

From the photo the reason of rounded withers(if a purebred Walker) is she is extremely FAT! Most Walkers have very good withers.I'd take a LOT of weight off her before saddle buying.Is she a pure bred WALKER or a SSH.They have differant bodies.

rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2006-05-14 11:48 AM (#41695 - in reply to #41364)

BJ She is lovely. If you are using a saddle with full quarter horse bars, try a thin pad, put your cinch/girth in the 3/4 position, put a breast collor on, and then exercise the darling. Good luck and happy trails.
my3horses
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2006-05-15 9:03 AM (#41726 - in reply to #41364)

Veteran

My horse is mutton withered and fat!  I was concerned about the saddle fit as well when I started talking to the folks at Crestridge Saddlery.  The gal I talked to-sorry can't remember her name-said the weight issue really shouldn't matter.  He would still be muttoned withered.  I took the measurements and purchased a new saddle (under $600).  Once my horse figured out that his new saddle was no longer going to hurt him, he became a much better ride.  I am planning to buy a new one for my foxtrotter this summer.  Good luck!  She is beautiful!
appy4me
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2006-05-15 11:42 AM (#41737 - in reply to #41364)

Veteran

Oh Betty, she's beautiful!!! I too have Quarters (despite my appy user name). I would be proud to have that beautiful gal in my pasture! QH's are my favorite, but a good walker is a pure joy! Happy Trails!
Diane
Good luck picking a saddle too, I personally prefer Tuckers, they fit the horse, and the rider.
bjhouten
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2006-05-15 12:37 PM (#41741 - in reply to #41364)

Extreme Veteran

The picture must make your look fat. She's not at all! She is not in condition, but she really doesn't have any extra weight on her. She just has some real rounded shoulders. I guess black & white is not so slimming on a horse. ;-) She is a Reg. Walker.(20003964)She has six World Grand Champions on her papers. Her sire is Ebony's Flight of Fancy and her dam is Apache's Ivory on Ebony. She has Ebony Masterpiece, Marshall Dillon, Spotted Alen Again on her papers. I don't know all the important names for walkers, but these where the names that my friends pointed out. I admit, she doesn't look like alot of the other walkers I looked at.

I took her out on Sunday and she is calm and confident on the trail and likes to move out. She got along great with the other horses. She is wonderfully smooth and a naturally gaited sweet mare, so easy to ride.

A friend loaned me her medium tree Tucker to ride in and the sweat marks where even with no dry spots. So the saddle shopping begins in ernst. I'm looking forward to many happy miles with her.

Cheers,
Betty
hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-05-15 2:03 PM (#41744 - in reply to #41364)

Expert

She looks like a Walker.Looking at the hips/flanks tells of too much weight.I've got brood mares in good pasture that look the same.Not being mean but its FAT.Lots of SLOW rides (and NO GRAIN)until some weight comes off.
cascadia
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2006-05-26 6:25 PM (#42304 - in reply to #41364)

Veteran

I heard that Circle Y bought out Tucker.  I wonder if the quality has changed?  I prefer my older Ortho-flex saddles.  I feel the quality is superior to what I found with Tucker.  One saddle fits a variety of horses because of the flex panels. 

hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-05-26 7:12 PM (#42307 - in reply to #41364)

Expert

At the PRICE the Ortho Flex saddles were they should have been superior to MOST anything! Sadly they were not and went out of business.

Edited by hounddog 2006-05-26 7:14 PM
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2006-05-29 9:10 PM (#42369 - in reply to #41364)

Tucker bought out Circle Y.
cascadia
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2006-05-30 4:05 PM (#42411 - in reply to #41364)

Veteran

Ortho-flex is still in business, but different management. www.ortho-flex.com  I prefer the older ones from the original company. 
iCE CRM
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2006-05-31 9:37 PM (#42470 - in reply to #42369)

Extreme Veteran

You are right Steve Tucker got a business partner and bought out Circle Y.  The one I like on a gaited horse is the trooper saddle free moving stirrups and soft seat and no horn in the way.

Edited by iCE CRM 2006-05-31 9:40 PM
bjhouten
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2006-06-02 11:13 AM (#42552 - in reply to #42470)

Extreme Veteran

After hours of browsing, and checking of check book I've decided on a Allegany Mountain Trail Saddle, Plantation Style. http://www.trailridingsaddles.com/

John from Allegany saddle was very helpful, quick to reply to my emails,
and called me a few times to answer questions. After providing measurements taken with a wire & pictures of Fancy, John sent me three saddle trees to try. Two rigid tress and one flex tree.

http://www.horsetrailerworld.com/forum/photos/photo-thumbnails.asp?...

I picked the flex tree, and sent pictures to John. He confirmed my choice. The above link shows the trees. It will be three to four week till I get my confy for me, fitted to my horse saddle. Can't wait!

-Betty