Poll trailer chains
terri s
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2006-03-28 9:55 PM (#39693)
Subject: trailer chains

Elite Veteran

I haven't seen this particular issue, so am looking for some feedback. I got one of those cute little hitch lifters (for lack of a better term) so you could do the gooseneck from the side of the truck and not have to get in. But...to fasten chains I still have to get in the bed. But...two trailer dealers (not associated with this transaction) have told me that chains, particularly if they are on the long side and welded high on the gooseneck (which mine are, although I didn't tell them that) can actually be more of a danger in an accident, making it easier to roll the trailer. Reg? Hosspuller? Is this one of those things open to translation or is there some good advice out there. I only have two hills for most all of my travels, no mountains. Please advise.    Oops, sorry, didn't mean for this to be a poll. I'm computer illiterate at times. I also didn't mean for this to be on the horse forum obviously, but don't know how to move it.

Edited by terri s 2006-03-28 9:58 PM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-03-29 10:20 AM (#39716 - in reply to #39693)
Subject: RE: trailer chains

Expert

Hi Terri ..

I don't know any conditions that safety chains would make a trailer more prone to roll-over.

BUT ...  from this website >>  http://www.equispirit.com/info/faq.htm#faq3

Forty-six states require safety chains on tag-along trailers and 29 of those states also require them on gooseneck trailers. The remaining states strongly recommend safety chains.

The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regualtions also require safety chains on trailers.

terri s
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2006-03-29 10:54 AM (#39718 - in reply to #39693)

Elite Veteran

That's good enough for me, thanks! Why do people try to fill you full of that kind of hooey?
cowpony01
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-03-29 1:05 PM (#39725 - in reply to #39693)

Extreme Veteran

I know I'd rather have the trailer break totally free and take out my tailgate than it totaling my entire rig.... I never hook up my chains, and alot of the other ranchers around here don't either. I know if your pulled into a truck scale they can fine you for not putting them on, but I don't travel on the interstate either.
mrstacticalmedic
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-03-29 2:13 PM (#39730 - in reply to #39693)

Extreme Veteran

Here in Michigan, State Troopers routinely pull folks over with horse trailers to check.  I got pulled over last year on a county road.  You don't have to be on a state route or highway to get nailed!  Thankfully I do use my chains and the State Trooper thanked me for my time.  I know my insurance wouldn't cover an accident if I didn't use them.  So you may opt to not use your chains, but if you do get in an accident you may not have insurance coverage.  Alot of insurance companies have a clause that states if you were travelling illegally (ie: not using safety chains, or wearing a seat belt, or had a suspended license, expired license, etc) they don't have a legal obligation to cover you!
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-03-29 3:35 PM (#39734 - in reply to #39725)

Expert

Originally written by cowpony01 on 2006-03-29 12:05 PM

I know I'd rather have the trailer break totally free and take out my tailgate than it totaling my entire rig.... I never hook up my chains, and alot of the other ranchers around here don't either. I know if your pulled into a truck scale they can fine you for not putting them on, but I don't travel on the interstate either.

This has never happened to me or anyone I know.

For respectful discussion:

If the hitch ball were to break or more likely, the unlocked hitch pops off.  What would happen?  Your bed would suddenly have a dimple in it.  The trailer would slide toward the tailgate.  If you didn't have chains, the trailer would be free and sliding on the road.  The trailer might dig into the pavement or shoulder and flip over.   Bad Mojo to anything in the trailer and anybody in the way.  With the safety chains, a person would have a dented bed and some control of a trailer.   Or would it?

Another crisis... You're motoring along, and someone hits the truck or trailer.  The impact shears the hitch.  What would happen?

Third crisis... You run off the road.  Trying to regain the road, you lose control of the vehicle.  Would you like to have the trailer stay attached or break away ??

cowpony01
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-03-29 4:25 PM (#39735 - in reply to #39693)

Extreme Veteran

I pull with a gooseneck  not a bumper pull, so big difference for me, no chains again for me......
mrstacticalmedic
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-03-29 9:35 PM (#39751 - in reply to #39693)

Extreme Veteran

Cowpony01,

I respect your decision, I don't like it, but hey...you want the liability and take the chance...go for it.

I got pulled over pulling a gooseneck trailer, so it doesn't matter which type you pull you are still responsible and liable if something goes wrong.  I would double check your insurance policy to see if you are covered should your loose trailer cause damage to someone else.  I would rather have my insurance company covering my a$$-ets.

Edited by mrstacticalmedic 2006-03-29 9:37 PM
mnhunter
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2006-04-04 9:42 PM (#39971 - in reply to #39693)

just read this thread so as a law enforcement officer that deals with things like this i decided to add some facts.  It is true that federal motor carier law requires safety chains to be hooked up.  that would apply to interstate carriers and may apply to you if your state has adopted the federal laws.  If your state law requires safety chains and you deliberately left them unhooked so your trailer would not stay attached to your tow vehicle and it became unhooked for some reason and struck another vehicle you could be charged with anything up to criminal vehicular homicide if anyone in the other veh was killed. I also check safety chains on many trailers so it can happen. 
mingiz
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2006-04-05 5:11 AM (#39979 - in reply to #39693)

Elite Veteran

I agree with cowpony01. I would rather have the trailer break away than be on top of me. I have 1 trailer that doesn't have chains 20fter and my bigger 26fter does. I had the smaller trailer inspected in Md picked it up in SC.and I would of thought they would of made me put chains on it but didn't. I do use them on the bigger trailer. Reguardless either way it's going to be a big mess if the trailer breaks away for any reason.

So why don't 5ft wheel trailers have them? Basically same scenerio...

mrstacticalmedic
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-04-05 9:47 AM (#39988 - in reply to #39693)

Extreme Veteran

Good question on the fifth wheels.  Although I have seen chains on them as well. 

I view the lack of use of the chains as the same logic as those who ride with back cinches too loose.  A wreck waiting to happen.

I guess it is how you finally want to end up.  Personally I would rather worry about my own liability rather than be liable for someone else (ie: runaway trailer damages someone else, possibly kill them).  If my trailer breaks away from my chains, at least if it goes to court I can say I tried to prevent it from happening to the best of my ability...if you don't use chains, what will be your defense?

maccwall
Reg. May 2004
Posted 2006-04-05 5:08 PM (#39997 - in reply to #39988)

Extreme Veteran

Most of the people I see and know, me included, use their chains. I would much rather use them than not. What I do see alot of is people with out their break-away cable hooked up. I would think that would have just as much importance as chains. I wouldn't tow my trailer without it hooked up.

Just my .02ยข

barry
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2006-04-10 12:52 PM (#40191 - in reply to #39693)

Veteran

Put the chains on because it's the law. Otherwise, don't spend time thinking they will do anything at any speed on the highway. I seriously doubt the strength rating of any of those chains would stand any kind of tug from truck or trailer. Same as those safety brakes. Face it, if your trailer become un-attached to your truck at highway speeds something bad is about to happen.
AZ_newguy
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2006-04-10 6:31 PM (#40219 - in reply to #39693)

Gosh folks, hook up the darned chains, it isn't that hard. The arguement of getting away from a disconnected trailer is consistant with self-centered thinking. The chains are there to prevent your trailer from crossing into oncoming traffic and hitting a 15 passenger van from the church youth group. That is not an event I'd want on my conscience.

Same idea. Does everybody hook up the break away cable and periodically inspect the switch and battery?

Hey, with my horses, I'm risk-adverse. For fun, I take risks and I'm kind of an adrenalin junkie. 48

Edited by AZ_newguy 2006-04-10 6:33 PM
hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-04-11 8:41 PM (#40285 - in reply to #39693)

Expert

My CM gooeseneck was not made with chains! I'm sure I'll get flamed for this BUT for short hauls I don't even lock the coupler.Set her down and go.I learned THIS bad habit from some Nebraska cattle ranchers I know.  One day I was getting in the back of a truck to lock the coupler and was told WHAT "we" NEVER lock them things.Well behold most of the units I looked at in the stock yards and at sales etc.WERE NOT LOCK EAITHER.My trailer sets  my truck down several inches,lots of weight holding it down on the ball.For interstate trips I do lock it but not for around town or short hauls,.

AkTomboysAppys
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2006-04-29 5:25 PM (#41076 - in reply to #39693)

Regular

Wow I was very suprised to see all the different ideas on this subject. I always lock my trailer both BP and GN and chain it. I wouldnt be think of not useing them anything to keep my horses safer is much more important than a messed up tail gate. Up here if you get  caught without it is a big ticket and points off your license! In Canada it is an even bigger punishment. Even ATV trailers are supposed to have them up here! To each there own. But I would check your laws and then be prepared to take the reactions to whatever you chose.
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2006-04-29 7:01 PM (#41078 - in reply to #39693)

Expert

I also live in michigan but I have never been pulled over by a trooper to check the chains on the trailer ( or for anyother reason for that matter) so i am not sure about MSP "routinely" pulling horse trailers over Can it happen? Sure, I guess it has. I have hauled my horses all over the state not to mention hauling cattle back and forth and again troopers don't seem to care to check me out ( wow that can be intrepreted various ways)
hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-04-29 7:52 PM (#41080 - in reply to #39693)

Expert

This is like true confessions.Until my second marriage(10 years now) I NEVER bought a tag for ANY trailer(boat,pull behind rv,horse trailer! Towed ALL over including midwest and of course here in the south.NEVER had a second glance from ANY one including STATE troopers I have gotton directions from over the years.I always figured if THEY didn't care why pay the darn tag/tax.When I was a teenager, friend of mines DAD said HE never did for decades! That all any one was ever concerned over was auto tags.He was right.This wife insists on tags or I still would not have one on a trailer.

Edited by hounddog 2006-04-30 8:57 AM
HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2006-04-30 8:38 AM (#41087 - in reply to #39693)

Expert

I'm with Farmbabe and Houndog, I have never hooked the chains up on any gooseneck, Actually I have installed the type of lower tube that locks by itself then I have lead shanks hooked to them so I can unlock them without getting in the bed. On my LQ trailer I have a remote for the jack so I don't even have to get out of the truck if I don't want to, Back under it hit the remote jack comes up trailer locks and off I go. You folks that are getting pulled over and checked must have the worst luck in the world. I have never been pulled over and checked for anything, and I have hauled all over central US for 25 years. I only know of one person that has ever been pulled over it was because he had a light out. The trooper followed him to a truck stop and helped him put a bulb in it. I have moved trailers a far as 1/2 mile by lowering them down on a spare tire. I think there are alot of nervous nellies out here in cyber world. Also in KY you don't have to have a tag on any Livestock Trailer(unless you are commercial) my LQ trailer has an Ohio Title due to thats were I bought it. Why change it to Kentucky and pay the taxes?

Edited by HWBar 2006-04-30 8:42 AM
hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-04-30 9:05 AM (#41088 - in reply to #39693)

Expert

As far as a gooesneck ball breaking I know of a group with a 460 Ford dually with a hauler bed and a large stock trailer with 9 horses in it having the road break away from under them in the North Ga.mountains after heavy rains.The trailer swung off the road and pulled truck around backwards torwards the edge of road.Trailer was hanging almost straight down only held by the ball of course.It was like that for over 3 hours until a big wrecker and a logger with cables could attach to it at same time and pull it back to the road.Several horses killed and a couple more died withen a couple of weeks.
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2006-04-30 12:13 PM (#41095 - in reply to #41088)

Expert

I always take the time to lock the coupler. And I usually hook up the chains. Since I'm already in the bed to lock up the coupler. If it's a really short drive, I might leave the chains off. My vet is just a 1/2 mile away. I sometime wonder why I don't just ride the hrose down to the vet vs hooking up the trailer when I need a health certificate to cross state lines or spring time shots.

I guess I figure smarter men than I designed the hitch systems and who am I to decide what does or doesn't really help.

santelikk
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2006-04-30 5:11 PM (#41111 - in reply to #39693)

Regular

I'd say hook them up, I do and have had the personal experience with this issue.

I was driving on the interstate and one of those double trailer rigs was in front of me about 1/4 mile.  Luckly there was a state trooper that was about even with me and maybe two other cars in the mix.  Needles to say the rig was going up an incline and the rear trailer came loose.  I swerved into the emergency lane in the far left and so did the other two cars, The trooper hit his light and was on his radio.  The trailer brakes came on,  and the front swerved to the left then right and then went rolling on to its side.  Scarriest damn thing I have ever seen, I had to change my shorts. I was really glad there was a trooper there because that would have killed someone probably.  Wish there had been chains holding that thing on. Rather see the rig dragging a trailer than have it come off flipping all over the road.

cowgirl98034
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2006-04-30 6:43 PM (#41116 - in reply to #39693)

Extreme Veteran

I have always used my safety chains, bumper pull or gooseneck.  When I was 11 years old, I was in a truck that was pulling a 2 horse bumper pull to Montana, and the trailer bounced up and off the ball on the freeway, going about 80 mph.  The chains probably kept the trailer from killing innocent people that day.  The trailer hit the end of the chains and proceeded to whip violently back and forth for what seemed forever, but no injuries.  (The trailer was empty)  It was without a doubt, one of the scariest trailering incidents I have been involved in. I can't imagine what would have happened had that trailer been free to slam into oncoming traffic that day.  Oh, and I don't know why the trailer bounced off the ball... I was a kid and never really heard the story.  Probably the wrong size ball or it wasn't locked... ?
hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-04-30 7:34 PM (#41119 - in reply to #39693)

Expert

I always use chains on bumper pulls.
milliecat
Reg. Aug 2005
Posted 2006-05-08 6:13 AM (#41418 - in reply to #39693)

HELP!  I recently got my first trailer which has chains.  Where do the chains hook up?  I don't have/see any place in my truck bed to attach them.  My used truck previously had some kind of funky (acme?) hitch that was removed.  When I wanted to install my BW, we had to weld it in.  Do I need to have some kind of rings put in for the chains too?
Thanks!
terri s
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2006-05-08 7:20 AM (#41419 - in reply to #39693)

Elite Veteran

The rings for the chains were a part of my hitch assembly with the pop-up hitch. With the turnover I had to have rings welded to the frame of my truck. 
gus
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2006-05-08 8:34 AM (#41422 - in reply to #39693)

Veteran

food for thought can anyone find where the laws say what you have to hook the chains to? could be a coat hanger welded to the bed great law?
longearsrule
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2006-05-08 10:33 AM (#41440 - in reply to #41418)

Extreme Veteran

Had some friends pulling a bumper pull and when they were in the middle of a curve the trailer came off and passed them. Luckily it was on a county road, no traffic and it went into a pasture. Horses shook up but not hurt. They were "just going a short ways down the road, why hook up chains?"
RoperChick
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-05-08 4:02 PM (#41463 - in reply to #41440)

Veteran

Last year I saw a trailer come off of the ball of an SUV pulling one of those bumper pull U-haul box trailers.  It did have the chains attached to the tow vehicle, the trailer was dancing around all over the place, but the driver handled it well and managed to pull to the side of the road safely.  Had the trailer not had chains, it could have killed or seriously injured someone sharing the interstate.

When it comes to hauling, we aren't nervous, but we do all that we can to make sure we have a safe trip.  We always lock the coupler, attach the breakaway cable and use the chains.  In addition, My husband and I each do a walkaround before going anywhere with the trailer.  I could never live with myself, if I injured my family, someone else or my horses because I didn't take all the necessary precautions when towing.

SLICKRNSNOT
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2006-05-25 1:33 PM (#42260 - in reply to #39693)

Elite Veteran

Use your chains and make sure they are up to the task!!! If your trailer comes off you are liable,it ait worth cuttin corners !!also make sure your emergency stop battery is working incase it does pull off the brakes will set.Be safe !
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2006-05-25 3:13 PM (#42263 - in reply to #39693)

Expert

My vet has some Quarter horses at his clinic right now from a roll over accident.  The guy wasn't using chains. He said the guy told him that he hit a bump in the road and the trailer popped off the truck and went off the shoulder and flipped.  All six horses somehow survived (trailer didn't) but several are seriously injured.  Two of the ones at the clinic just have cuts all over, but one has a fractured leg that is now in a cast.  They think it will end his racing career.  I don't know about the other 3 they were sent to a different office. 
krys
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-05-27 12:39 AM (#42313 - in reply to #41087)

Elite Veteran

Hooking up the safety chains on my friend's rig saved her horse, truck and trailer. She was pulling a 2 horse bumper pull and she forgot to latch it on the ball. 2 miles from home she hit a bump in the road and her trailer came unhooked. Since she CROSSED her chains, the trailer came to rest on the chains and she was able to stop safely. She was probably going about 50 mph and her horse never knew what was going on. If she did not have the chains hooked up, the trailer could has easily rolled off the road. Trailer would have been totaled and I'm sure the horse would have been hurt. I always use my chains whether it be a BP or GN. I would rather have my rig messed up than my trailer getting away and hurting/killing some innocent person. As the cop said before, here in Oregon, you can be charged with vehicular manslaughter if my trailer got away and killed someone. And if I was doing something illegal, my insurance would not cover it. I would be sued for everything. I would hate to lose my house and everthing I own just because I wouldn't hook up my chains.
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2006-05-27 10:19 AM (#42319 - in reply to #39693)

Expert

Of the entire process of hooking up the trailer, hooking the chains is the easiest. And since I am right there locking the coupler, might as well do up the chains. They are factory chains so i am assuming they will hold if the trailer ever did its own thing. I did have a small BP trailer, not a horse trailer just a slatted side ultitiy trailer, that bounced off the ball, no chains. thank gosh is rolled into the ditch and not crossed the highway.Nothing was in the trailer. It was scary none the less.

We also live the michigan and have never been pulled over to check chains. we haul with a BP for livestock and again, never been pulled over so to say its done routinely is a bit of a stretch. it probably happens but not routinely.

Edited by farmbabe 2006-05-27 10:23 AM