Attaching stuff to an aluminum trailer
Bensmom
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-03-20 10:44 PM (#39168)
Subject: Attaching stuff to an aluminum trailer

You guys were so helpful with my electric questions (now I just wish the guys that installed that stuff had paid attention when I showed them where to put it!) that I'm coming back with more questions!I have several things I'd like to install -- rings to attach canvas hay feeders, rings to be able to bungee stuff and hold it still in the front stall, a clothes bar in the dressing room etc. My husband keeps hiding every time I bring this up and apparently is afraid to make any holes in the trailer.So, I know people do, in fact, attach things to their trailers and it works out just fine, and I just need some guidance.I have a pile of the rings that attach to the wall with anchor plates, which thanks to one of the cool sites with lots of pictures, I knew to go to tractor supply to find. I am unsure, however, of the best way to hang this stuff -- pop rivets, self tapping metal screws? Anything else I need to know, like what not to drill into and whether I need to seal the holes?Thanks in advance for any info!Libby
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-03-21 6:47 AM (#39175 - in reply to #39168)
Subject: RE: Attaching stuff to an aluminum trailer

Expert

Originally written by Bensmom on 2006-03-20 11:44 PM

You guys were so helpful with my electric questions (now I just wish the guys that installed that stuff had paid attention when I showed them where to put it!) that I'm coming back with more questions!I have several things I'd like to install -- rings to attach canvas hay feeders, rings to be able to bungee stuff and hold it still in the front stall, a clothes bar in the dressing room etc. My husband keeps hiding every time I bring this up and apparently is afraid to make any holes in the trailer.So, I know people do, in fact, attach things to their trailers and it works out just fine, and I just need some guidance.I have a pile of the rings that attach to the wall with anchor plates, which thanks to one of the cool sites with lots of pictures, I knew to go to tractor supply to find. I am unsure, however, of the best way to hang this stuff -- pop rivets, self tapping metal screws? Anything else I need to know, like what not to drill into and whether I need to seal the holes?Thanks in advance for any info!Libby

Self drilling/tapping screws work just fine, but be SURE that they're not long enough to go right through to somewhere you'll regret. You need to drill into a rib or post - NOT sheet aluminum, that WILL come out the other side )-:
Pop rivets are also good, though they have somewhat of a bad rep with some folk. If you want some weight bearing capacity and are willing to invest in a decent rivet gun, stainless steel rivets are a good upgrade from the usual soft aluminum rivets that Home Despot sells. Rivet guns for anything over 1/4 inch stainless are expensive.
Generally there is no need for a sealant in the holes you drill, since you aren't "trying to keep rust out" (-:
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-03-21 7:07 AM (#39179 - in reply to #39168)

Expert

I like screws...  Easy to take out and reinstall if needed.  Rivets are more trouble.
Broken Bit
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2006-03-21 7:47 AM (#39182 - in reply to #39168)

Veteran

Personally, I use the rivets.  I get along with them a bit better than the screws, but, screws will work, so it's your personal preferance.  Like Reg said, make sure what's on the other side (or inside) of what you'll be drilling.  And shoot for your "uprights" or some other kind of bracing.  One thing that I've noticed... on our BullRacks- this one feller tried to fix some things with self taping screws, and the heads busted off after a short while, must be the vibration and pounding?  On the other hand the stuff he was fixing was origanally riveted on, so the did break too. (just lasted longer).
hav2ride
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-03-21 7:48 AM (#39183 - in reply to #39168)

Expert

We use sheet metal screws into the support posts.