Am I getting a good deal
skeeter7
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2006-02-27 5:45 PM (#37931)
Subject: Am I getting a good deal

My truck has been acting a little funny so I took it to my mechanic and he put it on the computer and he says the torque converter, selinoid, etc., is bad. I just had the input/output sensor, govenor sensors and a few other sensors fixed in November. He says it will be about $650 parts and labor to fix the converter and that will be replacing it with a new HD converter rather than the stock converter since I am using the truck for towing. My truck is a 99 Dodge 2500 short bed 2wd quad cab. He says if and of the pieces of the converter have gotten into the tranny we may have to rebuild and that will be about $1300 parts and labor but he won't know until he drops the tranny pan. Does all of this sound right? I am always afraid that I am going to be taken advantage of because I am not mechanically inclined and I am a woman. I understand how everything works I just am not skilled enough to rebuild my own transmission or anything. Please give me a little imput. Thanks!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
xyzer
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2006-02-27 6:03 PM (#37932 - in reply to #37931)
Subject: RE: Am I getting a good deal

Extreme Veteran

I am assuming you have a deisel or a V10 I'm not sure if the 5.9 gas had the same tranmision. The scenero is correct. A failed torque converter can wreck a perfectly good transmision. I'm not sure of what the "selinoid, etc" is. The price seems reasonable. Will he backup his work? Try the question at this forum and see what the guys tell you there. http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/dev/forumdisplay.php?f=89 Good luck!
skeeter7
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2006-02-27 6:15 PM (#37933 - in reply to #37931)

Sorry! Yes I should have added that it is the diesel 24 valve Cummins. The selinoid etc that I refer to is the converter, selinoid, gaskets and all additional parts and fluids needed for replacement of this item. Should I be concerned that if I don't rebuild the Tranny now that it will soon go? My mechanic does always do a good job of backing his work. But as I say that I can't guarantee anything because I have never had to go back to him for anything he has fixed so either I have been really lucky, he is really good, or I have no idea if he would REALLY back up his work I have never been faced with that problem. I was referred to him by a friend and she and her entire family have taken all of the vehicles to him for years and she stated that he always made good on his work for them.
xyzer
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2006-02-27 6:38 PM (#37934 - in reply to #37931)

Extreme Veteran

skeeter I would even have to do what my mechanic recomended I wouldn't hesitate to fix my manual transmission but autos never. I am sure you have a 47RE model transmision it is an Ok tranny I had 2 of them and never had a problem. The torque converter is part of the weak link and I would definatly replace it with a HD unit. It is hard to find a good trusting mechanic. It sounds like you have a track record with him and he has never pulled the woman thing on you! I don't think his prices are out of line. Wait for some more responses and see what the other folks say. Also go to the link I posted and use the woman thing to your advantage. They are a bunch of dodge guys that have been there done that and  would love to give a gal some advice!

Edited by xyzer 2006-02-27 6:41 PM