Navicular, Anyone?
kickshaw44
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-02-20 12:56 PM (#37548)
Subject: Navicular, Anyone?

Regular

Hi all, before I ask my question, I know that the best advice is given from a vet, but insight from people who have "been there" is also very valuable. That said, I was wondering if anyone could tell me the "signs" of navicular? I have read a lot of material, and it all leads to the same, fuzzy conclusion. The horse in question is a 19 y.o. saddlebred that used to be a showhorse. His lameness is in the front feet, but is intermittent (one day on, one day off; one step sound, one step off - but he's not dead lame, if you know what I mean) - there seems to be no rhyme or reason to it. He began glucosamine injections at the beginning of this year, and they have helped (i think). His shoeing is absolutely perfect - and he is not padded (just kegs). The horse does not work hard (or often).  At any rate, I was just wondering if anyone has gone through this before. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2006-02-20 3:05 PM (#37554 - in reply to #37548)
Subject: RE: Navicular, Anyone?

Expert

I bought a nice gelding at a sale Barn about 8-9 Years ago he was Navicular, of course I didn't find out until the drugs wore off. Anywho he had just the slightest limp sometimes not noticeable but most of the time you could see it, I had him x-rayed at the local vet and they showed me on the x-rays were the tendon was swollen(sp?). The way an older gentleman told me you can tell navicular horses is they will stand with the toe of their foot out in front of them with just the toe resting on the ground. This gelding did it. He and the vet said they do that to take pressure off of the tendon. Makes alot of sense when you see the x-ray and what causes the discomfort to begin with. Now the vet(A very prominent race horse vet in Lexington, Ky.) said that alot of people have them nerved, this is when they go in and cut the nerve that causes the sensation of pain. I opted to take my loss at the sale barn(no drugs). The vet did say that there were famous race horses that had been nerved at very young age and did fine in their careers. Anywho hope this maybe helped.
rodear
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2006-02-20 5:32 PM (#37562 - in reply to #37548)

Any pain in the heel area, including navicular syndrone will cause a horse to point with his toe on the sorest foot.  Often, both feet are sore, one will be more symptomatic than the other. 

Often a navicular horse when walking will land his feet toe first.  The feet should land slightly heel first. A number of people have claimed they were able to return their horses to sound usefulness by going barefoot and using a physiologically correct trim.  Pete Ramey in an article titled "Digging for the Truth About Navicular Syndrone" claims he has yet to work on a horse with NS that he couldn't help.  Of course, yours could be the one.  Check his article out at  http://www.hoofrehab.com/

krys
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-02-20 7:58 PM (#37575 - in reply to #37548)

Elite Veteran

There are no sure tell signs of navicular. Lameness in the front feet can be many different things. It is very hard to diagnose it and most vets come up with navicular syndrome since they have ruled everything else out. X-rays should be done to rule out other problems. The problem could even be in the phalanx (ie, broken coffin bone) or as simple as a bruise. X-rays and injecting local anesthetic's to certain areas are the only ways to determine what is causing the lameness. My friend's horse was diagnosed with navicular syndrome. It wasn't until a couple months and 3 sets of x-rays later that a small fracture in the coffin bone was detected.

Edited by krys 2006-02-20 8:01 PM
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-02-21 1:35 PM (#37626 - in reply to #37548)

Expert

ONly way to be 100% is put $100 into some X-rays and then you'll know.  I have a farrier that can tell just by his experience.  If the shoes is perfect, my question is...Is it perfect for your horse?  Looking good (like ladies shoes) does not mean your feet won't hurt at the end of the day!
hconley
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2006-02-24 9:42 PM (#37777 - in reply to #37548)

Extreme Veteran

A pair of hoof testers and compression on the middle third of the frog, pain will be noticed about 75% positive. Early signs are short choppy gaits, stumbling, toe down first then heel. Then lameness shows up as syndrome progresses. If the syndrome is stopped special shoeing has been demostrasted to bring the navicular bone back in position 

Edited by hconley 2006-02-24 9:48 PM
MBRA518
Reg. Sep 2004
Posted 2006-03-08 8:51 PM (#38488 - in reply to #37777)

Extreme Veteran

Like anything some horses will present as expected and some will not. My horse had every one stumped, even my farrier who has a lot of experiance with navicular. X-rays finally showed navicular... but even x-rays are not always a clear indication of navicular. By horse presented much like yours.. he was a tripper, but not all the time, only when he was tired and dragging his feet - not enough to trigger "navicular" in our minds and he never did any of the typical pointing or anything... we was just "off" on one foot... a block confirmed it was in the hoof and in only 1 foot (which is also not normal), so x-rays were done and there it was. According to the vet it looked so bad on x-ray that he sould have been dog lame... but he never was.
Originally written by hconley on 2006-02-24 10:42 PM

A pair of hoof testers and compression on the middle third of the frog, pain will be noticed about 75% positive. Early signs are short choppy gaits, stumbling, toe down first then heel. Then lameness shows up as syndrome progresses. If the syndrome is stopped special shoeing has been demostrasted to bring the navicular bone back in position 
Another thing that signals navicular is they seem to work out of it - basically what happens is increased blood flow helps the condition and working the horse increases blood flow to the feet giving some relief in many cases.Also special shoeing I seems is being used less than it used to be (it's still seems to be the most used treatment) - It used to be that special shoes (of every variety) was the only treatment.. now barefoot is being used more often and seems to be working well for many horses - the key to either is to have proper angles in the hoof. I have my gelding sound now for about 1 year using barefoot - basic trim, 24/7 turn out, boots for terrian that is rougher than home and a low dose of isoxuprine - which I'm slowly decreasing.Also, don't be shy to question the vet's first recommendations... vets will usually suggest the "regular" treatment, but if you are willing to research and commit to a different approach your vet will usually support you. My vet recommended bar shoes - but after research of my own I discussed the barefoot approach I'm using which included daily exercise in the beginning, she supported my opinion and was interested to see how it worked. Her suggestion was more for a quick fix... but my horse was only 9 when diagnosed so I was looking for a long term solution and was willing to put in the time to support this approach. So far it has paid off - last September in a 3 day camp and ride - my gelding was in the best shape of 5 horses, some barefoot and some shod... Luc had his Old Macs on front and had no trouble on up to 5 hour rides.
albert
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2006-04-23 7:58 PM (#40848 - in reply to #37548)

Our 7 year old 1/2 arabian was diagnosed with navicular last year and went through 3 pairs of corrective shoes with little to no lasting effect.
We finally went with the bare foot trim (which I have learned to do), we believe that he is slowly returning to normal. We have been doing limited riding on him (walk,trot, and some canter) and he doesn't seem to mind or show up lame later. I have been told it can take up to a year for the horse to become sound again. I have talked to several indivduals and the bare foot trim has worked for there horses. I would not personally nerve a horse as they can no longer feel their hooves. Our horse did show the classic signs of navicular, (one toe pointed out, tripping etc.) He still will show signs of navicular but they are becoming fewer and farther between. Like all issues about horses you are bound to recieve several different opinions on the subject.