Last stall divider on slant load trailers
Tivio
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2006-01-27 10:06 AM (#36070)
Subject: Last stall divider on slant load trailers

New User

Looking for constructive opinions on the absence of the divder for that last stall on the simple GN slant loads. I prefer to have something that keeps the horse in the trailer while you open and situate the doors, but seems like it's hard to find. I'm trailer shopping and have narrowed the field, but all are without a last stall divider.

I had wanted to avoid getting pushed into a 3H just to get 2 divided stalls, or requiring after-market work done.

Anyone had serious issues with horses coming out of these types of trailers? Your useful feedback is appreciated. TX!

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2006-01-27 12:27 PM (#36073 - in reply to #36070)
Subject: RE: Last stall divider on slant load trailers

Expert

usually there is a butt bar on the last stall rather than a divider. If the horse is tied into the trailer, then when you open the doors, your horse should stay put even without a butt bar.
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-01-27 1:09 PM (#36074 - in reply to #36070)

Expert

Sundowner & Exiss has a butt bar on the last slant stall
MIfarmbabe
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-01-27 1:30 PM (#36075 - in reply to #36070)

Extreme Veteran

Did you mean your trailer doesn't have a rear tack so that it is open all the way across? People have talked about this before and it being a problem. I can't remember what developed on the subject and what options there were. I would check around with a few trailer manufacturers and maybe avoid a trailer like this one you are talking about.
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2006-01-27 2:07 PM (#36079 - in reply to #36070)

Expert

Ok if you do mean an back without a rear tack, I can say I didn't have any issues with the set up as far as horses getting out. I had the type a 3 H gn. The last stall did not have a butt bar or rear tack. But the horse was tied. They could swing themselves over a bit but it wasn't a real problem.
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-01-27 3:24 PM (#36082 - in reply to #36070)

Expert

Sounds to me like you are refering to a stock combo type trailer.  You can have the trailer customized from the plant.  Tell your dealer what you want and draw a picture or take photos of exactly what you need.  It may add some cost and you may find yourself in the price range of a nicer trailer where it is standard.

Good luck, hope this helped!

Tivio
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2006-01-27 3:32 PM (#36083 - in reply to #36070)

New User

Correct - no rear tack, just a big open space with nothing to keep the horse from stepping backwards and possibly stepping 'out' of the trailer before you were ready to take him out. I agree the horse should respect being tied, but that's relying on him versus a divider locking him into his space while you open doors, put ramps down, etc. I'm worried that a panicked or excited horse is going to try to unload while I'm trying to latch doors open; stepping down while tied could obviously escalate into a real accident.

Prevention seems to be a better idea but why is it so hard to find?

relay101
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2006-01-27 3:49 PM (#36084 - in reply to #36070)

Veteran

I just saw what you need on a Merhow trailer listed on here. It looks like a half divider that would come to the tailgate of the trailer and then it has a butt bar that connects to the wall.
horsesense
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2006-01-27 3:54 PM (#36085 - in reply to #36070)

I have the same set up with my trailer.  When hauling 3 I have a padded chain across the back the stops a horse from backing up.  Obviously the first time a horse uses the last stall you have to ensure that they are aware of it and respect it.

Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2006-01-27 4:30 PM (#36089 - in reply to #36070)

Expert

I had a trailer like you describe for 5 years. No butt bar-no chain, Nothing but the doors.

When I opened the 1st door, I would usually put a hand on the horses hip to reassure them that I wanted him to stand still.  In that trailer, I always let the horses turn and come out forward. So they were not in the habit of backing out. So they would usually wait for me to open the second door and pick up their lead rope.

I never had any problems. Not that it couldn't happen.

mrstacticalmedic
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-01-27 5:34 PM (#36091 - in reply to #36070)

Extreme Veteran

I would suggest putting your most seasoned "sane" horse in last.  I would also work on the others to learn to stay put when the door opens.  Consistant training will pay off in the end.  If it seems it is a problem, trade your trailer in for another or find a seasoned horse!
xyzer
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2006-01-27 5:35 PM (#36092 - in reply to #36089)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by Painted Horse on 2006-01-27 2:30 PM

I had a trailer like you describe for 5 years. No butt bar-no chain, Nothing but the doors.

When I opened the 1st door, I would usually put a hand on the horses hip to reassure them that I wanted him to stand still.  In that trailer, I always let the horses turn and come out forward. So they were not in the habit of backing out. So they would usually wait for me to open the second door and pick up their lead rope.

I never had any problems. Not that it couldn't happen.

I used the exact same system....never had a problem! 

Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2006-01-27 7:13 PM (#36094 - in reply to #36089)

Expert

That is how my trailer is set up.  I built a rear tack because I wanted it out of the dressing room and then put a chain across.  I never had a problem with my mare trying to get out before I asked her to.  But she is the only one that rides back there, one of the others who haven't traveled as much might have tried to get out.
krys
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-01-28 1:36 AM (#36108 - in reply to #36094)

Elite Veteran

My other trailer was a slant load, no rear tack and 1 big door in the back. Hauled that trailer around for 3 years with my "seasoned" horse in the back and never had a problem with him trying to get out. My trailer now is a slant with a rear tack, 2 back doors and no butt bar. Been hauling this trailer around for almost 3 years without a problem with my same "seasoned" horse in back. My seasoned horse is a 29 yr old appy that anyone can handle and will trailer in anything. Unexpectedly one time, he tried to back out as I opened the back door. I did use a bugee tie on him (which i never use on the others). He was out of the trailer and that bungee tie was stretched to it's fullest and fraying. Thank God it never broke (could have had a nasty injury and lost an eye). I will never use a bungee tie on any horse again. I don't care how "mellow" and "seasoned" they are. What I am getting at, is that horses seem to get in any unexpected predictament at any time. If a problem can happen, it will at some time. If you and your horses are not comfortable with having that unsecureness of the last stall, then do not buy one with it.
dwnsouth
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2006-01-28 9:51 AM (#36117 - in reply to #36070)

Regular

I have to comment on the bugee tie.  If you have ever had a horse pull back on a strap tie that does not stretch and panics, hence rearing up and horses rear feet slipping out from under him and hanging himself you would consider the option of bungee ties.  I know they stretch and fray but when they give they DO NOT snap back like you would think.  I had a mare that sat back quite frequently from a prior owners bad habit(would tie her so tight she had no freedom of head).  That was the only bad habit she had so I worked with it and with the bungees she would sit back and when she came back forward she was still tied.  With the strap she would panic and fight because it had no give once she reached the end.  After about six months of bungee she quit the pulling back because she realized even being tied she had freedom of movement.  They also have the straps that combine the two types with bungee being on one end BUT these types will pop you one unless you put the bungee end to the halter side.  Tie the bungee end to the trailer  and if it does snap the strap will get you.  But the bungees fray and become very limp, not snappy or springy the way you would think.  Sorry dont mean to preach but been there, done that!!!!!  And learned hard lessons!!!!
mrstacticalmedic
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-01-28 10:54 AM (#36118 - in reply to #36070)

Extreme Veteran

I had a mare get injured by a bungee tie.  The vet took pictures of the knot it left right under her eye.  So to say they are safer is baloney.  Always use a tie with a quick release snap, they work the best.  I had borrowed a friends trailer that didn't have those, he had the bungee's.  Never again! 

muleskinner
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-01-30 8:48 AM (#36204 - in reply to #36091)

Regular

Originally written by mrstacticalmedic on 2006-01-27 5:34 PM

I would suggest putting your most seasoned "sane" horse in last. I would also work on the others to learn to stay put when the door opens. Consistant training will pay off in the end. If it seems it is a problem, trade your trailer in for another or find a seasoned horse!
If the trailer has two rear 50/50 doors,leave the door at the horses butt closed,open the other door,un-snap the tie,make a left turn and walk the horse off the trailer.
barry
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2006-01-30 9:18 AM (#36206 - in reply to #36070)

Veteran

Am I insane? I've never tied a horse in any trailer I've owned. I figure that any horse can break a tie/bungee/etc if they put their weight behind it and the reprocussions from pulling/breaking offset any little movement they do on their own. If they are standing in their "stall" slant or straight they can't really go anywhere anyway.

I've always used a butt bar/chain to assure me that I don't get the door knocked in my face while opening it - but that is just insurance - never had the need to use it for that.
nd deb
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2006-01-30 3:13 PM (#36232 - in reply to #36070)

Veteran

mine is open in back with a full swing door.   What i do is  go in and not swing the door all the way open, just enough for me to get in.  I then go in and untie the horse or untie from the feed door before going in.

i have also seen people put a chain acrooss the back.   

huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-01-30 3:24 PM (#36233 - in reply to #36070)

Expert

I don't tie in my two horse with mangers but their heads are divided and they can't eat each other under the divider.  That said, I do tie in slants.  I have seen horses eat each other under the dividers...the last thing you want on your show horses!  The safest way is a tire inner-tube tied to the trailer and then a short rope tie from that with the panic snap away from the horse.  I saw something similar used to "break babys" but then realized if I changed it I can use it with all the horses and even show cattle.  You can even attach your hammock across the trailer and snooze during the down time.

I'd get a longer trailer and add one solid divider after the last horse.  Having it latch just before the back door hinges.

hav2ride
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-01-30 3:25 PM (#36234 - in reply to #36206)

Expert

Geez, Barry.  I don't really know if you are insane but you are taking a big chance by not tying your horses when hauling.  Horses can get into far more trouble untied than tied.  I don't want them to have their heads on the floor if I have to make a hard turn and I don't want them to be able to curl their heads around either.  Tying them assures me that they will be in the same position at all times.
horsesense
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2006-01-30 4:45 PM (#36244 - in reply to #36234)

Originally written by hav2ride on 2006-01-30 4:25 PM

Geez, Barry.  I don't really know if you are insane but you are taking a big chance by not tying your horses when hauling.  Horses can get into far more trouble untied than tied.  I don't want them to have their heads on the floor if I have to make a hard turn and I don't want them to be able to curl their heads around either.  Tying them assures me that they will be in the same position at all times.

Wow, are you sure you are not taking the big chance?  What happens in a wreck?  Think you will be able to get your horses out if they are tied?  What happens if they lose their ballance and end up hanging themselves?

Tying or not is just a personal preference in my opinion, and I certainley think he is not insane.

BTW I do tie my horses, but I know many who don't.

HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2006-01-30 4:53 PM (#36246 - in reply to #36070)

Expert

I don't tie my horses is the trailer and haven't for years, never been an issue and I haul horses weekly to ropings. I drop the but bar on the last stall and the horse backs out on their own I just tug the tail a little. Then go to next divider and do the same. I don't ever let a horse turn around in a trailer they back off or they stay on. I quess I am insane also.
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2006-01-30 6:13 PM (#36255 - in reply to #36070)

Expert

Call me crazy but I don't tie in the trailer either.
krys
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-01-30 11:34 PM (#36270 - in reply to #36255)

Elite Veteran

I have a horse that can get her head under the divider...dang straight I tie her. I can just see the damage done if she had her head under the divider when I stop or turn or even just bugging the horse next to her and starting a fight. Even if she just bumped her head a freaked out afterwards.

A friend of mine rolled their 3 horse trailer (fully loaded) on to it's side down a small enbankment. Thankfully those horses were tied. The trailer ended up on the "butt" side so the horses were sitting. Being tied kept them straight and not falling over onto the other horses. Horses just had some scrapes.

HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2006-01-31 5:37 AM (#36274 - in reply to #36070)

Expert

I sit here trying to imagine a horse trailer laying on it's side with horses sitting on their rump tied to what now is he roof of the trailer. They would have to be tied with a very long tie or they would be hung. I'll keep hauling mine untied.
cowgirl98034
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2006-01-31 10:21 PM (#36354 - in reply to #36206)

Extreme Veteran

My horse turned around in a straightload while untied... that was a mess. Bent the divider up so I couldn't undo the butt bar to get him outta there. He was cut up, bleeding badly from the nose, freaked out and basically stuck in the trailer. I had to get in there with him (whoa boy... eeeeeeasy) and kick the living daylights out of the divider to get it to the point I could unload the horse. That was interesting. I will never leave my horse untied in a trailer with dividers again. I now have a 3 horse gooseneck slant load and can take the dividers out and use it like a stock trailer. But, I still tie him.
Kansashoss
Reg. Aug 2005
Posted 2006-02-01 7:01 AM (#36361 - in reply to #36070)

It's a crap shoot when your hauling horses and so much depends on the individual horse's personality.  With most of my horses in a straight load trailer I did not tie them because it was usually a snug fit.  They could only go "up".  With the roomy slant loads I always tie them w/ a cotton line for many of the reasons other have offered- they an start jacking around with each other over and under that divider.   I work for a vet and have seen what bungee cord ties have done to horse's eyes when they snapped.  From that perspective I could never, ever recommend using them in a barn or trailer, never.

If the trailer is involved in a wreck the least of my worries will be if they came untied rather "are they alive?".  Just as airplanes are designed to fly and not wreck, horse trailers are designed to be hauled not wrecked so wrecks bite in each example.

Basically it comes down to a Dr. Phil'ism "How is that working for ya?".  If your way is working then keep it up.  If your horses are getting scraped or upset during hauls you need to revaluate what you are asking of them, IMO.

Back to the original poster- when I have my rear tack out the horse in the last slant (I have a two horse slant GN) stands fine until we walk in and take them out.  They are expected to "whoa" until qued to exit.  Good luck!

cowgirl98034
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2006-02-01 11:56 PM (#36410 - in reply to #36070)

Extreme Veteran

Hi there - I have a 3 horse simple slant load gooseneck trailer. No feeders, bells or whistles. It's partially enclosed with slider windows on the upper part and is a step-up with one big back door. I often just haul my horse and load him up front, but when I take friends' with me, we discuss who should ride in back. Thsi is obviously due to the issue you are concerned with; the horse coming out before you're ready for them. Here is one way we handled a tricky situation. My friend's horse is very hard to load and keep in the trailer long enough for you to shut the door (annoying). He also can't really be tied (he panics) so he's last in. When we get ready to unload, we reach in between the upper bars, hook the lead rope on, then slowly open the door enough to get ahold of the rope. Then I open the door fully so he can quietly step out. He has never pushed to get out when unloading, but is a big horse and could move anything he wanted to. I know more training would do him good, but he's not my horse, so I just do the best I can at the time.

I recommend the 3 horse; we have done some camping (Cayuse Horse Camp) with ours, and it's great! I have hauled hay in the front stall, and a couple horses in stall number 2 & 3, or taken 3 horses. Also, I can take the dividers out and actually haul 4 horses if I wanted to. Even though I only have the one horse, I would not trade my 3 horse for anything. In answer to your "last stall question" I don't know how I'd alter the trailer so a horse in the last stall couldn't try to unload before I was ready. Especially with my step-up, I'd be concerned with them stepping out and getting a hip under the chain or butt bar, or a leg under the edge... if they had to reverse direction and step back in it would be very difficult for them. At this point, the last horse either gets handled the way I described above, or simply waits to step out. A riding buddy has a Sundowner 3-horse bumper pull with rear tack. My horse rides in the last stall in that one, and he just waits for me to come and get him. It has the full double rear doors, and ramp that closes over the doors. I don't remember seeing a bar or chain there, and I know I've never used one in her trailer. It hasn't been a problem, yet:) I haven't seen too many configurations in the slant load, but I am sure there must be a manufacturer that has what you're looking for. Or, consider the 3 horse. If you go that route, problem solved and I'm sure you'd be happy with the trailer. Good luck in your search. If you don't mind me asking, are you in western WA or eastern WA?
AkTomboysAppys
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2006-04-17 6:43 PM (#40585 - in reply to #36070)

Regular

If you do not get a trailer that has a butt bar you can either make one or a butt rope. Get two extra tie rings from the place you got your trailer and then with a simple double ended rope or a simple job by your local welder you should be set up.