2003 Ford, 7.3, odd idle when pulling trailer?????????
rodent42
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2005-07-25 11:21 AM (#28526)
Subject: 2003 Ford, 7.3, odd idle when pulling trailer?????????

Hey there, hubby wanted me to ask you guys if anyone else is experiencing this. we have a 2003 Ford F350 dually, it has a 7.3 in it (thank goodness)... and it is fabulous. the only thing that is a bit weird and we are wondering if its 'normal' or just part of the fly by wire set up....ONLY when pulling the trailer, when idling to a stop.. you know when you sort of slow down realy slowly for a light or stop sign, NO foot on the brake just letting the whole rig coast, the last few feet the truck feels like it has a warped brake rotor, it sort of 'lumps'. not enough to disturb the horses, just enough to be a bit irritating! it only does this when we are towing (4 horse featherlite with small l/q, total 48feet, weight with no horses 7600lbs)....anyone else experience this with the fords? should we be concerned. its going in for some other thing this wednesday. hubby has asked the dealership about this problem and as usual they are useless. he's investigated it as much as he can (he is a mechanic so he has some good resources!) but hasn't found any reference to it. Its not the 'bucking' problem that some of the Fords seemed to have (think that was the 6.0?), just a mild little sort of 'wobble' as you coast to a stop. any clues/insights appreciated.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
MIfarmbabe
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-07-25 11:56 AM (#28528 - in reply to #28526)
Subject: RE: 2003 Ford, 7.3, odd idle when pulling trailer?????????

Extreme Veteran

This has been brought up before but referred to as "trailer bucking" in the F350s.

Here is the thread link:

http://www.horsetrailerworld.com/forum/thread-view.asp?threadid=3050

and this one:

http://www.horsetrailerworld.com/forum/thread-view.asp?threadid=2856

Edited by MIfarmbabe 2005-07-25 11:58 AM
rodent42
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2005-07-25 12:15 PM (#28529 - in reply to #28526)

no. NOT the bucking problem. we are aware of that and have had no problems like that. this is ONLY at very very very very very low speeds, as in 'creeping idle', no foot on brake or gas, truck just coasting slowly, does a sort of slight joggle just like it feels when you have a warped brake rotor......its not life threatening, or even serious, just mildly weird and hubby concerned it might lead to .. something else? just wondered if anyone else had felt this? don't really want the dealership to start messing with it and make it worse if its just a weird little 'thing' that isn't really that important. we are taking two horses to regina in two weeks time (1000mile trip) and don't want to change anything on the truck since its working perfectly right now, so if this isn't a precursor to something hideous then we'd rather not mess with it.
maccwall
Reg. May 2004
Posted 2005-07-25 12:15 PM (#28530 - in reply to #28528)

Extreme Veteran

I experience something like this on my 97"and have so since I've owned it which is about 4 years now :). I was told it could be anything from the torque converter (automatic tranny) to the U-joints. I just had the tranny rebuilt and it still does it but not as bad and only when I'm towing and coming to a very, very slow stop like yours.( I know it's hard to describe) I don't think it's nothing to really worry about as I have been told by my tranny people (whom are friends of mine) and many folks on the diesel stop.com ( http://forums.thedieselstop.com/ubbthreads/ ) that it is a normal thing. I did alot of investigating into mine cause it's just down right annoying at times but I have since gotten used to it. I would go to the Diesel stop.com and ask around in that forum. Being that yours is a newer model PSD, what goes on with mine doesn't always apply to the newer models. Hope this helps.

Safe Riding,
Todd

Edited by maccwall 2005-07-25 12:18 PM
xyzer
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2005-07-25 12:50 PM (#28535 - in reply to #28526)

Extreme Veteran

Hmmmm......"only when towing" a trailer?...I know the Fords have some kind of issue with the bucking or whatever but I would not rule out the trailer. Maybe jack up the wheels and rotate by hand see if they drag...or even feel the hubs after you have traveled awile..see if you have a hot one from brake drag! Try it with the truck in "N" see if it does it..?! It would rule out some of the truck issues....maybe? or maybe the previous post is onto somthing! Good luck!

Edited by xyzer 2005-07-25 1:05 PM
rodent42
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2005-07-25 1:10 PM (#28537 - in reply to #28526)

xyzer: !!! we NEVER thought of that! gads.... although I think hubby would be able to tell the difference... I think? will tell him today and see what he thinks. he can jack the rig up and test the brakes on it. I know that the right one tends to grab now and then specially when it hasn't been used for a few days....must admit it FEELS like its the truck when you are sitting in it. but.....gads. won't we feel stupid if this is the case!!!
Lankyman
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2005-07-25 1:36 PM (#28540 - in reply to #28526)

Regular

While he is checking the trailer wheels, get him to glance at the brake wires while he has it jacked up just to make sure that all the wires are OK & do not have any broken sections that could cause something strange to happen with the braking system.  Good luck with it.
maccwall
Reg. May 2004
Posted 2005-07-25 1:45 PM (#28541 - in reply to #28537)

Extreme Veteran

I tried the neutral thing and it doesn't do it in neutral. (forgot about doing that until you reminded me) That's what led me to believe it was the torque conveter. Mine does this regardless of what trailer I'm towing be it a tandum or gooseneck. It did it with my Circle J and it does it with our Hart. It also does it with the flat bed loaded. Also since it does not do as bad with the new TC in, also leads me to believe this to be the culprit. I asked about the flywheel and my tranny guys said it is fine. Sooo... like I said earlier, things with the older trucks don't always apply to the newer trucks but the drive train is the same. But try asking the folks in the Dieselstop.com . There are folks on that forum that know eveything. You might also ask Mr. Truck as well.

Safe Riding,
Todd

Edited by maccwall 2005-07-25 1:50 PM