their trucks. Can anyone throw me one of their horror stories???  I
guess some people in TX had their entire rig, horses and all
impounded, ran out and bought a bigger truck, then had to hire
someone with a classified drivers license to drive it!  Can anybody
else sympathize?

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-04-21 8:45 PM (#24139 - in reply to #24137)
Subject: RE: towing regulations regarding brakes/weight issues

Expert

I'll go on record as being totally unsympathetic to the humans, but I have feelings for the horses when they get caught up in their owners' stupidity.

We're dealing with several tons of vehicle(s) travelling at speed and carrying 1/2 ton plus animals.

Simple process:

1) Know the rules.
2) Follow the rules.
3) Don't expect compassion from those who's job it is to enforce the rules.

Ignorance and laziness are no excuse, DO THE RESEARCH.

Annie O
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2005-04-21 8:57 PM (#24140 - in reply to #24137)

Well, I agree that people should be informed and most people going down the road showing performance horses have the best of intentions, good equipment, etc. The problem stems from not realizing how much weight is added to your rig when you stock the living quarters, throw 8-10 bales of hay in the roof rack, and load up tack, grain, scooters, wheelbarrows, and the lot...
chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-04-21 9:04 PM (#24141 - in reply to #24140)

Expert

Originally written by Annie O on 2005-04-21 9:57 PM

Well, I agree that people should be informed and most people going down the road showing performance horses have the best of intentions, good equipment, etc. The problem stems from not realizing how much weight is added to your rig when you stock the living quarters, throw 8-10 bales of hay in the roof rack, and load up tack, grain, scooters, wheelbarrows, and the lot...

its called a "scale".  use it.  and dont get me started about the average yahoo being able to hook his truck to a 6 ton trailer and just be able to go as they please with no further driver license requirements.

Edited by chadsalt 2005-04-21 9:07 PM
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-04-21 9:57 PM (#24142 - in reply to #24140)

Expert

Hello Annie .. Welcome to the forum.  The lack of sympathy Reg alluded to is from the many times we've had this very discussion on this forum.  

It usually starts with "can my (name of vehicle) pull this?"

By the time someone gets to a 4 horse living quarter trailer they should understand what they're getting into. Financially, Mechanically as well as Legally.

Like a upper tier blog, the wealth of collective knowlege on this forum about horse trailers is truely amazing.

Test us .. ask a question.

Ignorance is curable, stupidity is forever.

So to your original question....

Yes, I have second person knowledge of getting stopped in NC with a horse trailer rated in excess of 10,000 pounds.  In NC this requires a class "A" license. 

Annie O
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2005-04-21 9:59 PM (#24143 - in reply to #24137)

Wow, is it just me or are you guys always this hostile?  I'm simply trying to find out if there are people in this forum who have made the mistake of overloading their towing vehicle with too heavy a trailer and had problems with the new enforcement of laws in various states.  I'm researching for an article that will hopefully help everyone in the horse business get informed and prevent citations and accidents. If you don't have anything positive to add you need not contribute. Thanks anyway...
Annie O
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2005-04-21 10:04 PM (#24144 - in reply to #24142)

Thank you for being civil and explaining why there seems to be some hostility on the part of 'others.' I appreciate your input and would like to interview someone that has had this problem, even if by email. . . to find out why they didn't realize what they were getting into, how they remedied their situation, etc.  Quarter Horse News, if you are not familiar with it, is not a gunsil magazine and our readership is professional horsemen and top non-pros, for the most part. We don't fit into the backyard horse owner market. Thanks again...
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-04-21 10:12 PM (#24145 - in reply to #24143)

Expert

Originally written by Annie O on 2005-04-21 10:59 AM

Wow, is it just me or are you guys always this hostile?  I'm simply trying to find out if there are people in this forum who have made the mistake of overloading their towing vehicle with too heavy a trailer and had problems with the new enforcement of laws in various states.  I'm researching for an article that will hopefully help everyone in the horse business get informed and prevent citations and accidents. If you don't have anything positive to add you need not contribute. Thanks anyway...

Annie ..I think You're confusing the lack of sympathy toward stupidity with hostility.  There is no hostility from this poster.  We've answered the same questions many times.  Any long term participant in this forum learns very quickly to avoid common and not so common mistakes in horse trailering. 

hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-04-21 10:22 PM (#24146 - in reply to #24144)

Expert

Originally written by Annie O on 2005-04-21 11:04 AM

... to find out why they didn't realize what they were getting into, how they remedied their situation, etc.  Quarter Horse News, if you are not familiar with it, is not a gunsil magazine and our readership is professional horsemen and top non-pros, for the most part. We don't fit into the backyard horse owner market. Thanks again...

I think folks get into "situations" because the regulations are variable state to state, there are many exemptions like for RV's, the regulations are applicable to only a few horse situations,  and lastly, there is usually a very fine legal line between horse trailers covered by a car license and those not.

Annie O
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2005-04-21 10:34 PM (#24147 - in reply to #24137)

You 'Hosshauler' were very civil and informative and it is appreciated. I used to haul horses professionally and have a good base in the horse biz my entire life. I was - as I said before - seeking someone's personal experiences. I appreciate your input. Thanks.
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-04-21 10:35 PM (#24148 - in reply to #24144)

Expert

Originally written by Annie O on 2005-04-21 11:04 AM

.  Quarter Horse News, if you are not familiar with it, is not a gunsil magazine and our readership is professional horsemen and top non-pros, for the most part. We don't fit into the backyard horse owner market. Thanks again...

Pardon my ignorance ,  What's a "Gunsil magazine"

Annie O
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2005-04-21 10:52 PM (#24149 - in reply to #24137)

Gunsil may have been a little harsh. I was referring to magazines for the layperson, not professional performance horse owners, trainers and breeders.
Bill W
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2005-04-22 5:34 AM (#24155 - in reply to #24137)

Regular

Annie

Here's something that might be of use for your article, "State towing laws"

http://www.rvsafety.com/state.htm

Annie O
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2005-04-22 7:04 AM (#24156 - in reply to #24137)

Thanks so much for the link. I have been to that one and to AAA and others. I'm still looking for the human connection...someone who has had a problem, etc. and hopefully someone who travels a lot to shows rather than someone who is an occasional trail rider. Thanks!
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-04-22 7:52 AM (#24158 - in reply to #24140)

Expert

Originally written by Annie O on 2005-04-21 8:57 PM

I agree, there is temptation is to put in another xyz or two in case we need it. There is also temptation to count only horse weight and assume that tack, water and feed are light enough to be ignored (they're NOT !).
Horse pleasures are typically removed from math, science and engineering, (Thank goodness for THAT !) However, when moving around on public roads it is necessary to do a bit of arithmetic to ensure that we're SAFE and in compliance with state and local laws for the sake of everyone, including the animals.

I think over the years my view of overloaded rigs has moved from;
"Gee, I hope they know what they're doing and take it easy."
to
"I'm glad I'm not driving THAT rig"
to
"They really SHOULD get some load off, get a bigger truck, leave a horse or two at home, etc."
to
"Call the cops, they need to be STOPPED !"
Not that I've ever actually called the cops on anyone - maybe I should ?

So yes, I've developed less sympathy and compassion in my attitude toward what I regard as stupid and reckless behavior in regard to the safety of themselves, their animals and other road users (including ME !).
If this seems hostile so be it, but I really don't want to share the road with overloaded rigs and I get upset with cops that don't/won't enforce the laws that are supposedly there to help protect us all. I also get ansy on this forum with folk who express pleasure that law enforcement in their area is lax.

Annie O
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2005-04-22 8:03 AM (#24159 - in reply to #24137)

I appreciate your input and want you to know that the entire purpose of this QHN article is to impress saftey issues on operators and let them know that law enforcement is tightening down on overloaded rigs. Over a dozen states have already amended their laws and the word is out that the remaining will be doing so...or at least enforcing the laws already on the books.  Thanks.
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-04-22 8:12 AM (#24160 - in reply to #24137)

Expert

Annie,
I think I may be looking at the other side of the same coin.

I really DO believe that the "problem" isn't at the weigh station, or with the cops "hassling" people for overloading their rigs.
I believe the problem IS with folk overloading their rigs, or as we've said in the forum more than a few times, "not buying enough truck".

We have MANY topics in here from folk who ALREADY HAVE truck x and trailer y and THEN want to know if they really can put a horse in every stall given all the GVxxx ratings. Too late, they're out of money, can't get a bigger truck and HAVE TO take ALL the horses - - and tack, water, hay, etc.
I don't have an answer, other than keep your truck and trailer capacities in step with your horse and gear hauling needs.
Its expen$ive, horses are expensive, trucks are ~$40/50K, trailers are however much you want to spend, but it can be VERY EXPENSIVE to do it wrong, if we can't pay we can't play, etc.

\R
PS Ya need enuf twuck (-:

hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-04-22 8:42 AM (#24161 - in reply to #24137)

Expert

Annie .. Then for your purposes.

A friend of mine was stopped by NC DOT enforcement.  After checking the rig and license of the driver, he issued a citation for improper license for the class of vehicle.  He also warned the driver that the rig COULD be impounded until a driver with the proper license was available.  But since live animals were involved, he did not.  It was only after my friend was stopped, that I became aware of the NC regulation.  To wit:  Any vehicle towing a trailer over 10,000 # gvw "RATING" requires a class "A" license.  The rating is printed on the DOT tag that every trailer has.  This little snag is NOT the actual weight of the trailer.  This regulation isn't hidden.  It's on the back of everyone's license.  Who reads that?  The biggest issue is the trailer builders usually use the weight rating of the axles to arrive at the GVWR.  Two 6000 # axles and the trailer GVWR is 12,000#.

There are a couple of ways to handle this problem.  One: get a class "A" license.  In NC one has to take a driving test with a class "A" vehicle.  How does one get a class"A" vehicle to the testing site?  A Class "A" driver is needed... What  a Pain!!

Two: (the route I used)  My 3 horse trailer was rated at 12,000#.   The actual weight loaded was well under that.  I asked the trailer builder to reissue the DOT plate with a lower rating.  They did and now I'm legal.  Obviously, this last route won't do for a 6 horse trailer.  But it worked for me.

Annie O
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2005-04-22 8:45 AM (#24162 - in reply to #24137)

Reg, we are on the same side of the coin. But, my job is to point all those variables out through the story I'm working on. You are exactly correct and I totally agree. With the cost of high dollar performance horses, and those vehicles that transport them, people need to be aware of the dangers and added expenses. That is the point of the article. So, do you know of any individuals that suffered the consequenses from their ignorance?
Annie O
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2005-04-22 8:50 AM (#24163 - in reply to #24161)

Thanks Hosspuller!  That is an example of what I need...appreciated!  A few more examples like that and maybe a contact # for a personal interview with a 'victim' (I use that term loosely, don't get excited, ha!) and I might be able to take Sunday off this weekend!  Thanks...
Annie O
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2005-04-22 8:51 AM (#24164 - in reply to #24161)

BTW...are you a commercial hauler???
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-04-22 11:41 AM (#24171 - in reply to #24164)

Expert

Originally written by Annie O on 2005-04-22 9:51 PM

BTW...are you a commercial hauler???

No ... Otherwise I would have to have a CDL.

Any person hauling for hire is a commercial driver.  That's why hauling people's horses for pay is fraught with risk.  The horse owner has you if the horse is hurt, the law has you for commercial use / plates/ license and the insurance company has you for commercial use unless you pay commercial rates.

There really isn't much difference between the much disdained "backyard horse owner" or ""trail rider" and the BigTime show people.  We all have the same trailer driving issues.

Annie O
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2005-04-22 11:48 AM (#24172 - in reply to #24137)

Yes, I know about the risks and expenses of hauling...I didn't need a class A license in CA as I was shuttling horses between racetracks with a two-horse trailer. I did have to have a DOT # (!$$$!) and paid the same insurance as someone transporting gasoline with a tanker, uck. Fortunately, racetrack rates covered the expenses and provided a living. The reason I need the 'big time show horse people' is because my article must be slanted toward our readership, which are those competitors that go down the road to major events each week...  Nothing against the little guys (I am one, don't show right now, just ride my beast and help neighbors w/ cattle), just journalistic rules of thumb...
Flush
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2005-04-22 12:44 PM (#24174 - in reply to #24172)

Regular

Welcome Annie,

While I don't have any personal stories to give you, I think the story you are doing is much needed.

Frankly I can't believe some of the first responses you received here. While I think we can all agree that people need to understand and obey the laws, CLEARY the laws as they apply to recreational horse pullers is vague and difficult to interpret for the AVERAGE recreational horse person, especially when you start crossing state lines. There are plenty of horse trailers that aren't really that big at all and that are RATED over 10,000# GVWR, apparently in some states you need a special license to pull said trailer. How many horse people know that? If you break a towing law it doesn't ALWAYS mean you are an unsafe person, After all what's legal and "safe" in South Carolina might not be legal in North Carolina. Crossing a state line may make you not legal, but I'm not sure it makes you unsafe. I'm not condoning ignorance on the part of the person haulling the horses, but if States are going to start cracking down on laws, they need to do a REASONABLE job of making the laws clear and known.

There have been several threads on this site, where even the experts with a whole lot of experience hauling horses can't quite agree on exactly what is and isn't legal in certain states.

Here is one, with a story like what you are looking for. Maybe you can contact the original poster.

http://www.horsetrailerworld.com/forum/thread-view.asp?threadid=503&start=1

Edited by Flush 2005-04-22 1:19 PM
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-04-22 12:46 PM (#24175 - in reply to #24172)

Expert

Annie ... You might also write about the need for a health certificate along with the coggins.  NC is one of the states recently joining a compact for a new program of interchangable health certificates.

HOGMAN
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2005-04-22 1:12 PM (#24176 - in reply to #24171)

If I read you correctly, the class A license your talking about in North Carolina is not a class A CDL. Does NC have classes of license for non-commercial drivers, and what is the state's position on out of state vehicles/drivers?
Planning on going thru NC pulling a trailer that don't weigh 10000 but certainly is rated for more than that hauling Harleys not horses. Any info will be appreciated, thanks.
Annie O
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2005-04-22 1:13 PM (#24177 - in reply to #24174)

Thanks for the input and I 'absolutely' agree. I felt a little sucker punched last night, but now understand the frustration w/ ignorance on the part of those responding. I'll ck out the thread you included and many thanks!
Annie O
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2005-04-22 1:18 PM (#24178 - in reply to #24176)

According to what I've found, you can get the details at www.aaa.com/aaa/traveler/trailer.html.....
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-04-22 1:40 PM (#24179 - in reply to #24176)

Expert

Originally written by HOGMAN on 2005-04-22 2:12 AM

If I read you correctly, the class A license your talking about in North Carolina is not a class A CDL. Does NC have classes of license for non-commercial drivers, and what is the state's position on out of state vehicles/drivers? Planning on going thru NC pulling a trailer that don't weigh 10000 but certainly is rated for more than that hauling Harleys not horses. Any info will be appreciated, thanks.

The NC Class "A" license I posted about  is NOT a CDL.   So yes, NC has several classes of licenses for non-commercial drivers.  (regular car license is class "C")

I would think if you're legal in your state of registration, you would be okay in NC

MrTruck
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-04-22 2:00 PM (#24180 - in reply to #24137)

Elite Veteran

We do appreciate Hosspuller on this forum. He's our voice of reason. How long have you been here, 6-7 years, Hosspuller?
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-04-22 3:52 PM (#24192 - in reply to #24180)

Expert

Originally written by MrTruck on 2005-04-22 3:00 AM

We do appreciate Hosspuller on this forum. He's our voice of reason. How long have you been here, 6-7 years, Hosspuller?

Thanks for the compliment... I was only on the old forum maybe a year before the new forum.  But time flies when you're having fun ...

FTguy
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2005-04-22 5:08 PM (#24194 - in reply to #24137)

Also, here in Illinois, if you are from out of the state and plan to unload your horses here, your vet needs to call in to the State of Illinois to get a permit number. It is free, but it allows the state to track where events are or where horses will be unloaded. If your caught with out it, bring lots of cash!

FTguy
Ardly
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2005-04-23 12:30 AM (#24209 - in reply to #24137)

Veteran

Hello Everyone,
Not to advocate the things that people do in the way of towing thier horses or other things (lawnmowers, atv's,etc.) but to comment on the availabilty of the correct information regarding the laws and regulations
of doing so.
I personally have searched for the correct information regarding these issues on my own and from this forrum and have yet to find the info. that I needed. I've even searched from the two recomended sites in this post with no luck. One site would not load and the other was giving me info. as to a r.v. with a rather low weight rating.
As I mentioned previously thats no excuse for some of the trailering habits that I observe folks doing.
It says that the information is'nt as easily attained as it should be.
I'm personally interested in info. regarding trailering with a 4-horse sundowner with a gwr of 12200# in the state of Ms.,crossing state lines into Tennessee and what laws apply when I do (Ms. OR TN.).
Not only have these subjects been hard to address but also the health issues seem to be another one thats not going to come easy.
An example being when I asked a local Vet about the requirment of a certificate of health for traveling to Tn. She really seemed unfamiliar with these requirements and suggested that I contact someone at the park in which I would be going (Natchez Trace State Park).
Not to take away from the folks at the park but this really seems to be a D.O.T. issue and not the park service.
My point being that as a Vet. I felt as tho she should have been familiar with these requirements and whomever I would speak to with the park service may know or may not but will likely tell me something be it fact or not. I would appreciate if anyone knows a site that has this kind of info. to please post the sites where it can be located.
Thanks, Ardly
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-04-23 8:10 AM (#24218 - in reply to #24209)

Expert

Originally written by Ardly on 2005-04-23 12:30 AM

Hello Everyone,
Not to advocate the things that people do in the way of towing thier horses or other things (lawnmowers, atv's,etc.) but to comment on the availabilty of the correct information regarding the laws and regulations
of doing so.
I personally have searched for the correct information regarding these issues on my own and from this forrum and have yet to find the info. that I needed. I've even searched from the two recomended sites in this post with no luck. One site would not load and the other was giving me info. as to a r.v. with a rather low weight rating.
As I mentioned previously thats no excuse for some of the trailering habits that I observe folks doing.
It says that the information is'nt as easily attained as it should be.
I'm personally interested in info. regarding trailering with a 4-horse sundowner with a gwr of 12200# in the state of Ms.,crossing state lines into Tennessee and what laws apply when I do (Ms. OR TN.).
Not only have these subjects been hard to address but also the health issues seem to be another one thats not going to come easy.
An example being when I asked a local Vet about the requirment of a certificate of health for traveling to Tn. She really seemed unfamiliar with these requirements and suggested that I contact someone at the park in which I would be going (Natchez Trace State Park).
Not to take away from the folks at the park but this really seems to be a D.O.T. issue and not the park service.
My point being that as a Vet. I felt as tho she should have been familiar with these requirements and whomever I would speak to with the park service may know or may not but will likely tell me something be it fact or not. I would appreciate if anyone knows a site that has this kind of info. to please post the sites where it can be located.
Thanks, Ardly

Hi Ardly,
Here's a useful travel page that addresses some of your questions about crossing State lines:
http://www.horsetrip.com/
On the right hand side, under "Site Map", go down to the fourth item, "State Requirements", that should get you to:
http://www.horsetrip.com/requirements.html
I guess Montana and Rhode Island requirements cover everything else, though I think someone posted that you need a permit to unload in Illinois, so this table may be not perfect.
To be THOROUGH about it you may have to approach State (and even County (and even Park)) authorities directly. Not eveything is published on the web, not all of what is published on the web is easy to find.
I've posted the vehicle regulation links in this forum fairly recently, at least the federal ones that seem to matter. I don't know of a State by State listing for license class by GVxxx - anyone wanna project ? (-:

M&R
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2005-04-23 12:40 PM (#24226 - in reply to #24137)

Regular

I just wanted to add this. I understand its not what you are looking for Annie O. I have a SC DL and on the back of my license it states... vehicles not exceeding 26,000 lbs GVW. Its a class D, with no other class options listed.

I dont understand the NC state law for RV towing, it says max weight 1000 #s ?

Then theres a max speed, in NC of 65. On hwy 29 N the speed limit is 70. Would we get a ticket for going 70? I know in CA they have signs for tow vehicles 55 is the max speed.

Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2005-04-23 3:13 PM (#24230 - in reply to #24209)

Expert

I had a hard time finding the info that I needed to make a trip from TX to NM.  I contacted DPS and the State troupers directly and asked who had the info.  The DPS office answered all my quiestions except the health paperwork on the horses.  He said the dogs and cats had to have a valid rabies certificate and that he thought in NM you had to have special travel papers issued by the state and gave me some numbers to try.  They were very helpful.  I asked my vet how to find out what I needed to take the horses across state lines (I figured he should know since he races too) and he said that when I would need a health certificate and they would call the state (NM) to find out what shots,etc. were required.
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-04-24 7:29 AM (#24238 - in reply to #24230)

Expert

I've seen a sign at the side of the road that says (paraphrased):
All hay entering (county name) must have a certificate of origin and is subject to inspection. I think it also said something about fines and an imprisonment schedule for non-compliance.

So even if your vehicles and animals are in compliance you can still have problems with the transportation of feed at the county, town, or village level. I don't know how you can get your hay inspected at 9pm on a sunday night, just that you COULD get a ticket and/or jail time (-:
Researching EVERY regulation and getting EVERY permit and inspection along your route could take a LOT of work and may be impractical, though not impossible.
chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-04-24 9:15 AM (#24242 - in reply to #24137)

Expert

guess ill just stay home, ride around the yard maybe?
MrTruck
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-04-24 3:17 PM (#24247 - in reply to #24137)

Elite Veteran

I've got it, RV folks don't get hassled like horse folks. We just die our hair gray, (already there) buy a 5th wheel RV shell gutted out. Preferably a "toy hauler" with a rear ramp. Then leave the front bedroom over the neck and the kitchen, then install the horse stalls with vent ducts doing out the ceiling. Since the trailers are 8' wide and have 3 slide-outs, there will be room enough for hay and enough room to turn horses around to walk out the rear ramp. Should be room enough for the golf carts too. Then just wave as you drive by the DOT weigh stations. No more gooseneck safety chains to unhook, you can stay overnight at Walmart and SamsClub and Camping World.

Disclaimer: this is not legal advice nor attempt to fraud the ding dongs, (I mean non trailering types whom regulate the trailering types) in charge of state to state transportation, nor is it criticism of the national CDL laws that the individual states seem to ignore in favor of their own complicated, misleading, contradicting rules concerning non-semi-trucks towing trailers, except RV's. Those law makers do own RV's.

M&R
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2005-04-24 8:55 PM (#24250 - in reply to #24137)

Regular

After reading some of the post on RV.NET's web site, something needs to be done about there setups. Here is one of the setups listed on the forum.
2002 Chevy 1500HD.....6.0, 4x4, Crew Cab 4.10
31BHS Jay Flight.........Westin Nurfs/Grill
PIAA Lights.................Equil-i-zer (love it)
15,000 loaded to the gills

This might be a good setup or maybe they have a 2500HD and just put 1500. but thats alot of trailer 32' and almost 10,000#s for a 1/2 ton truck.

and we have to share the road with these people.
Do they have weight rules for for RVs?

chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-04-24 9:56 PM (#24251 - in reply to #24137)

Expert

i believe the 1500hd is rated to tow about 10000 with a GCWR of 15000 or 16000. besides the chances of getting hit by the moron talking on the cell phone are a lot greater than the guy that might be over weight running you over.   and the rules are the same.

Edited by chadsalt 2005-04-24 10:05 PM
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2005-04-25 2:43 PM (#24288 - in reply to #24247)

Expert

That is exactly what I told my husband I wanted to do.  Why have a horse trailer and RV?  Just get the toy hauler RV and use it for the horses too.  When we aren't taking the horses, we can use it for other stuff.  He looked at me like I was insane!!  Well, I might be but I'll never tell.
Traillady
Reg. Sep 2004
Posted 2005-04-26 7:15 AM (#24309 - in reply to #24288)

I'm curious about toy haulers. Are they durable enough to haul horses especially to more primitive areas? Does anyone have one that hauls horses? Thanks.
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-04-26 7:20 AM (#24310 - in reply to #24309)

Expert

Originally written by Traillady on 2005-04-26 7:15 AM

I'm curious about toy haulers. Are they durable enough to haul horses especially to more primitive areas? Does anyone have one that hauls horses? Thanks.

At a guess: NO.
By the time you did a "conversion" it would probably be more expensive than a real horse trailer, without the corresponding resale value )-:
MrTruck
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-04-26 12:02 PM (#24332 - in reply to #24137)

Elite Veteran

I was kidding about converting an RV to a horse trailer. Just trying to show the prejudices between trailer categories and how trailer laws are targeting horse trailers and ignoring the RV trailers, whom are used by more first time less experienced towers, especially now that baby boomers are retiring and exploding the RV industry. Toy haulers are built somewhat better than an average 5th wheel. But most RV trailers still use shackle springs and aren’t built to contain a large moving animal. They are also taller, attract more wind and aren’t designed to be towed every day. While this is improving, most RV trailers were built for retired conservative folks on fixed incomes. So manufacturing costs has been unbelievable tight. Look at the step up handles on a travel trailer sometime, or any fixture compared to a LQ on a horse trailer.

If you ever see an RV trailer that’s been in an accident, take a look at it. There usually isn’t much left. Horse trailers in general are built dramatically better than an RV. But at times the ATV fuel tank filler and winch on a Toy Hauler would come in handy. Maybe we just need to change the name and call horse trailers, “Horse Recreational Vehicle” HRV.

Traillady
Reg. Sep 2004
Posted 2005-04-26 12:24 PM (#24334 - in reply to #24332)

I figured they were not structurally made for some of the abuse a horse trailer gets. Someone (a non horse person) mentioned a toy hauler to me since I'm shopping for LQ's. I've never seen one used to haul horses. Any rv I've ever been in, no way would I haul my horses. We cut a ride short because my parents travel trailer was getting beat to death on some of the backroads we had to go on.
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2005-04-26 4:24 PM (#24349 - in reply to #24332)

Expert

That's what I figured.  Maybe they should start making horse trailers that look more like RV's. 
roadranger
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2005-10-11 2:27 PM (#31585 - in reply to #24288)
Subject: RE: Gooseneck LQ trailer questions

Originally written by Terri on 2005-04-25 1:43 PM

That is exactly what I told my husband I wanted to do. Why have a horse trailer and RV? Just get the toy hauler RV and use it for the horses too. When we aren't taking the horses, we can use it for other stuff. He looked at me like I was insane!! Well, I might be but I'll never tell.
Funny you should mention that...I'm looking to purchase a new LQ horse trailer to use as a toy hauler! Just have to find one with nice enough LQ to please the wife.Why go to a horse trailer for a toy hauler?1.Better/stronger/longer lasting build compared to the stick and staple RV's2.Lower overall height for better wind resistance3.Higher resale valueGuess I might be crazy too!
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2005-10-11 8:23 PM (#31604 - in reply to #24137)

Expert

I hauled out of the state for the first time this past summer- to illinois in march and indiana in June ( from Mi) I had interstate health papers from my vet, plus Coggins. I did not stop at any weigh stations. I drove to the show grounds and went home. I was never stopped at any point. I was not stopped at state lines. I was not stopped at truck stops. I did see state and local police and I was never stopped by them. I have a 3/4 T truck and a 3 H GN with LQ. Its not huge but big enough to notice. Is the rig over weight? I don't know. Are my brakes legal? I don't know. Is my license legal for the rig? I don't know. I do know that after two out of state hauls nothing happened to make me think otherwise.
M&R
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2005-10-11 9:07 PM (#31608 - in reply to #24137)

Regular

We have hauled from CA to NC. (2 horses, 3 dogs, 2 birds, 3 cats all in the horse trailer WE WERE MOVING BTW!!) We stopped in AZ at a weight station. We found out that because our rig was not for hire we did not need to stop at any weight stations.

Going into CA was hard to enter a few years ago. Now I guess the state does not check as many vehicles. However, to enter CA in any vehicle you are required to have vet papers on animals. We never had any problems but they were always asking where we were going, where we had just came from, and what we were carrying with us. Last year when we would enter CA from AZ, they did not have any one working the stations for personal vehicles. I guess budget cutbacks.

Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-04-20 8:51 AM (#40718 - in reply to #31608)

Expert

Originally written by M&R on 2005-10-11 10:07 PM

We have hauled from CA to NC. (2 horses, 3 dogs, 2 birds, 3 cats all in the horse trailer WE WERE MOVING BTW!!) We stopped in AZ at a weight station. We found out that because our rig was not for hire we did not need to stop at any weight stations.

Going into CA was hard to enter a few years ago. Now I guess the state does not check as many vehicles. However, to enter CA in any vehicle you are required to have vet papers on animals. We never had any problems but they were always asking where we were going, where we had just came from, and what we were carrying with us. Last year when we would enter CA from AZ, they did not have any one working the stations for personal vehicles. I guess budget cutbacks.

I know this is an old thread, but I noticed the same thing entering CA from AZ (I-40). I put it down to the fact that it was monday morning after superbowl sunday. I was in a tight situation, the horses' papers were actually in a car that was a full day behind me. I had a long talk about it with the AZ agri inspector when I entered from NM. He had the heart to NOT make me wait for the papers to catch up with the horses. This is not a kindness I would depend on in the future. The hussle of getting packed, started and trying to drive in lose convoy on a 3400 mile trip with someone who had never driven 600 miles a day, etc.