Merhow Living Quarters vs 2' Short wall conversion
slidingirl
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2015-05-07 11:00 AM (#163357)
Subject: Merhow Living Quarters vs 2' Short wall conversion

Hi everyone,

I am stuck between adding a small living space with cowboy shower and sink to my 1999 4 star 3 horse trailer with 2 ft short wall, or purchasing a LQ with a little more room. I posted earlier and weight is a concern as I have a 2011 Chevrolet 2500HD extended cab short box with the large gas engine.

I found a used 2012 Merhow all aluminum Very Lite that would fit my needs perfectly and it only weighs 4,400 lbs. It is a 2 horse with mid tack, 6 foot LQ with separate toilet, no air, but fantastic fan and awning, fridge, sink, cabinets galore, and stove. They are asking 29,900. New it prices around 45,000. Here is the clincher. The running board is dented, there are scratch marks from trees, frame looks sound and square. It looks like it has seen some use, functionally, everything is in working order. I need to replace the glass in one drop down window, and the fender. It could use a good cleaning as well. Everything works. It does not have a/c. I hear the fantastic fan works well, but have no experience. I may have to add AC
Later. I rarely use the one I have now as I live on the cooler side of the state.
Does this seem like a fair price. I would certainly have much more room and utility and don't need a 3 horse if I have a huge mid tack. I normally haul 1, and occasionally 2. II could get by in my 4 star, but not sure the cost of having someone else do the LQ is worth it, when I'm thinking I will want more room. It will be used mainly for endurance ride camping and light non horse camping duty with my husband and dog. I will need to use it as a daily hauler as well, but it's only 23' length, so not much longer than my 3 horse. Here is the ad.
http://www.kiperts.com/vehicle-details/2012-merhow-verylite-2-horse...

The reviews look pretty favorable for the Merhows. The dealer also offers Logan's, which appear nice, but are steel, aluminum, weigh more, and a new one in this configuration would be around 38,000. I read Mr Trucks review on both brands and they seem built well. I looked at Keifer as well and Sundowner, but wasn't overly impressed.

Here is a link to the trailer. http://www.kiperts.com/vehicle-details/2012-merhow-verylite-2-horse...

Thoughts? They have Bison as well, but they are significantly heavier and not as nice. Any comments. Thanks

Amber

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
cutter99
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2015-05-08 7:12 AM (#163362 - in reply to #163357)
Subject: RE: Merhow Living Quarters vs 2' Short wall conversion

Extreme Veteran

Honestly, it seems a little high to be. Last year I sold a 4 horse Hart Medaliion that has 6 foot short wall, was 6'8", and everything in it was pristine, for less money. Mine was a 2008 leftover, that we purchased new from the dealer in 2010.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page