Fridge shuts itself off when hooked to electric
agfckrowe
Reg. Jun 2009
Posted 2013-11-03 3:33 PM (#155660)
Subject: Fridge shuts itself off when hooked to electric

We had our LQ check by a trailer repair company in early Sept. and everything checked out fine. Last week I turned the refrigerator on (Norcold) and left. I went up today and it was off, so I turned it back on. 20 minutes later I looked and it had turned itself off again. I checked all electric cord and fuses and all was okay, so I turned it on again and left. 2 hours later I looked and it had turned itself off. We are 2 hours from an RV or LQ horse trailer repair service. Any idea what is going wrong and how my husband (pretty handy) should go about checking this problem out?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
CYA Ranch
Reg. Feb 2009
Posted 2013-11-03 8:18 PM (#155662 - in reply to #155660)
Subject: RE: Fridge shuts itself off when hooked to electric

Mine has an auto setting where it'll switch it automatically from electric, battery or propane. Do you have something like that?
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2013-11-03 10:45 PM (#155663 - in reply to #155660)

Expert

Open the outside trailer panel to gain access to the back of the fridge. You will see a circuit board with several wires going to it. The board will probably be covered with a panel. With the electricity off in the trailer, remove the wire terminals one at a time or the connecting plug (s). On the board, look at the terminals and check for corrosion. They can be cleaned with a fine abrasive such as #400 sand paper, a non woven pad like Scotchbrite, or an emery board. Put a little dab of dielectric grease on each of the terminals and reinsert the connectors several times.

If this doesn't restore the electrical function of the heater, you may have a bad heater or a bad board. It will probably have to be checked out at a dealer. Does the fridge work on gas? If it does, the cooling system is good, but the electric heater or its controller is bad.

There are two wires that go to the heater which is wrapped around the tank. They probably are terminated into the board with a plastic plug. If the plug is removed, and you hot wire a 120 V source, you will energise the heater without using the board. If this is effected, and after half an hour or so the heater still is not hot, then you will know the heater or its wiring has failed.

agfckrowe
Reg. Jun 2009
Posted 2013-11-04 6:45 AM (#155666 - in reply to #155660)

Gard thank you so much, I will print this so my husband can take a look at things.CYA Ranch, ours is like yours with the automatic switch between propane and electric, but yesterday (Sunday, stores closed in our little town) we were out of propane and couldn't check if it would work on gas. Thanks!
agfckrowe
Reg. Jun 2009
Posted 2013-11-05 11:10 AM (#155674 - in reply to #155660)

This is rather strange, after I reset it for the 5th of 6th time yesterday I just went to the house disgusted and knew it would shut off in about 20 minutes.  Went up there yesterday at noon and it was still ON!  What the heck?
yeehaw
Reg. Mar 2010
Posted 2013-11-05 11:49 AM (#155675 - in reply to #155660)

Veteran

I think Gard nailed it....loose or bad connection somewhere!
rockyrider
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2013-11-14 3:11 AM (#155800 - in reply to #155660)

Extreme Veteran

My trailer has to be pretty close to level, so oil can circulate, or it will shut down after a couple of hours. I think it's  a Norcold also