Adding a Rear Tack to an aluminum trailer
blazerbuddy
Reg. Oct 2007
Posted 2013-08-19 11:42 AM (#154111)
Subject: Adding a Rear Tack to an aluminum trailer

A friend of mine has a 4-horse aluminum gooseneck stock trailer.  Currently the tack is stored up front in the LQ and he would like to add a rear tack compartment.  Suggestions on building a rear tack? OR Anyone have the rear tack collapsible panels for sale?  I know not every trailer is made the same but looking for suggestions.  I guess he needs to post on this thread his trailer make and model.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Bhill
Reg. May 2013
Posted 2013-08-19 1:05 PM (#154113 - in reply to #154111)
Subject: RE: Adding a Rear Tack to an aluminum trailer

Veteran

Who is the manufacture of his horse trailer? You may want to start looking there- They may have panels for sale?? Or you could have a metal fab shop build some for him. I'm not sure one size fits all, so you maybe looking at a custom build or from the manufacture..
blazerbuddy
Reg. Oct 2007
Posted 2013-08-19 1:13 PM (#154115 - in reply to #154111)

Thank you.  He has checked out the manufacturer rear tack add-on and it is pricey.  Just didn't know if anyone had any experience building a rear tack to offer suggestions.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2013-08-19 9:35 PM (#154132 - in reply to #154111)

Expert

It's not too difficult to build a plywood copy of a manufactured product. It can be done for a couple hundred dollars and finished to look like a factory installation. Building it so its collapsible is more labour intensive and a bit more expensive, but also doable.
Linda Y
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2013-08-20 8:08 AM (#154139 - in reply to #154111)

Extreme Veteran

My cousin recently added a rear tack to her trailer. It also had the tack in the DR which we wanted to finish out to a weekender. She took it to a friend, who took it to a fabricator. They put in a solid aluminum wall that was shaped like a collapsible one, but didn't fold. They took the saddle rack that was in the front and bolted it in the back. It was a swing out stand. It was a relatively simple installation. I do have a photo, but it only really shows the saddle rack. The trailer has since been sold.
slowrider
Reg. Apr 2010
Posted 2013-08-20 8:29 PM (#154158 - in reply to #154111)

Regular

We put a rear tack in our aluminum trailer this spring, it cost roughly $1,000 in total. Got the aluminum from a fabricator, and got the post and saddle racks from Shetron manufacturing in Shippensburg, PA, for about $400. The post that the saddle racks mount to, they made to our exact height specification, and the saddle racks are the kind that you can loosen the screw and adjust the height between them. We made it a removable tack area in case we ever have to replace the floor, but that was just our preference. We faced both sides of the rear tack walls with sheets of aluminum, so that both sides are flush. Then, on all of the inside walls of the tack area, both the trailer wall and the aluminum walls of the divider, we glued carpet to help keep the clanking noises down. I left a few inches between the bottom edge of the carpet on the outside trailer wall and the floor, to keep the carpet from soaking up urine, and covered the gap with a strip of black plastic cove molding.