Egnine Braking, Gas and Diesel
Terrye
Reg. Nov 2010
Posted 2013-08-12 12:48 PM (#153960)
Subject: Egnine Braking, Gas and Diesel

There was a recent discussion regarding engine braking.
I thought this may be informative for the team as a few folks seemed to have opinions that varied. I briefly discusses gas engines, then diesel engines (which the original question was about) then more modern diesel engines. Also note, the more modern diesel engines, 2003 6.0 for Ford for example and newer had exaust brakes integrated into their turbos. I know RAM has had exaust brakes for awhile also.:

Petrol (gasoline) engines

The term engine braking usually refers to the braking effect caused by the closed-throttle partial-vacuum in petrol (gasoline) engines when the accelerator pedal is released. While some of the braking force is due to friction in the drive train, this is negligible compared to the effect from the vacuum.

When the throttle is closed, the air flow to the intake manifold is greatly restricted. The concept can be illustrated by the amount of effort required to blow/suck through a thin tube vs. a wider one. It is the work the engine has to do against this restricted air flow that provides the braking effect.

Diesel engines

Diesel engines do not have engine braking in the above sense. Unlike petrol engines, diesel engines vary fuel flow to control power rather than throttling air intake and maintaining a constant fuel ratio as petrol engines do. As they do not maintain a throttle vacuum, they are not subjected to the same engine braking effects.

However, some alternative mechanisms which diesel engines use that replace or simulate real engine braking include:

A compression release brake, or jake brake, this is the type of brake most commonly confused with real engine braking; it is used mainly in large diesel trucks and works by opening the exhaust valves at the top of the compression stroke, resulting in adiabatic expansion of the compressed air, so the large amount of energy stored in that compressed air is not returned to the crankshaft, but is released into the atmosphere.
Normally during the compression stroke, energy is used as the upward-traveling piston compresses air in the cylinder; the compressed air then acts as a compressed spring and pushes the piston back down. However, with the jake brake in operation, the compressed air is suddenly released just before the piston begins its downward travel. (This sudden release of compressed air creates audible sound waves similar to the expanding gases escaping from the muzzle of a firearm.) Having lost the energy stored within the compressed air, the engine is then made to pull the piston down (which sucks new air into the cylinder), and then travel upward again, compressing the new volume of air, which will again be released to the atmosphere after having been compressed. The engine loses energy.
This type of brake is banned or restricted in many locations where people live because it creates a sound loud enough to disturb the peace, including waking people at night. It is very effective however, and creates immense amounts of braking force which significantly extends friction brake life - A 565 hp (421 kW) diesel engine can produce up to 600 hp (450 kW) of braking force.[citation needed]
An exhaust brake - This works by causing a restriction in the exhaust, much like the intake throttle causes in a gasoline engine. In simple terms, it works by increasing the back-pressure of the exhaust. Nearly all of these brakes are butterfly valves similar to a throttle valve, mounted downstream of the turbocharger if there is one.
A mechanism related to the exhaust brake is back-pressure from a turbocharger. In turbo diesels with variable-vane turbos, the vanes will close when the accelerator is released, which creates a back-pressure braking effect similar to an exhaust brake. Even fixed turbos, especially larger ones, will cause some back-pressure when they are below the turbo threshold (albeit not to the same extent as a variable turbo) and contribute to the braking effect.

Modern diesel engines have engine braking characteristics more akin to petrol engines. This is due to additional devices to allow them comply with emissions regulations. Two in particular cause significant engine braking:

1) Particulate filter

This device filters out soot particles before they exit the exhaust, but it creates a large obstruction in the exhaust path. This causes considerable backpressure, much more than from the turbo charger mentioned above

2) EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculator)

This device sucks exhaust gas back into the air intake and is usually controlled by a throttle which, depending on the design, can cause a restriction effect similar to that in petrol engines.

Hope this stimulates some educational discussion rather than what I saw on the last post.

My personal most recent experience is on my 2003 Ford 7.3L Diesel 6 speed. With my 3 horse bumper pull trailer no exaust brake was needed, however when I moved to a large 4 horse gooseneck trailer (28.6 foot 2005 Cimarron), the trailer would push me down the Grapevine (I5 California 7% grade) making my trailer brakes and truck brakes smoke. The engine braking was very minimal and the ride was scary. I added a device that converted a valve in the turbo to an exaust brake and now I can coast down both sides of the grapevine without applying the brakes. It is outstanding, safer, much less scary, and saves the hell out of my brakes.

I highly recommend this solution to anyone that has a 99-2003 7.3L truck and a larger trailer.

I have been driving and working on diesels and towing horse trailers since 1990, but know I have much less experience than some of the members here. This is where I come for advice on horse trailers and I love this forum!

Thanks for reading.
Terry
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
siseley
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2013-08-12 1:18 PM (#153961 - in reply to #153960)
Subject: RE: Egnine Braking, Gas and Diesel

Extreme Veteran

Excellent post Terrye!This makes the operation, and the technical part of engine braking much more understandable!!
trot-on
Reg. Dec 2009
Posted 2013-08-12 2:03 PM (#153962 - in reply to #153960)

Extreme Veteran

Thank you so much Terry!!! (I was original poster on the other thread) .. I am going to have the hubby read all that over, as I admit to only understanding half of it, but get the basic grasp of the concept. And yes, I have a 2001 with a 7.3, 6 speed manual. I know the Grapevine well, and think if I took my rig down it currently, I'd downshifted doing the super slow crawl with all the 18 wheelers in that special right had truck lane. (and nothing wrong with that, but I'd be holding my breath the whole way) ..... Thankfully, right now, I'm not planning any trips that way for awhile, and its flat in TX. Again, thank you for taking the time to share that information.
Terrye
Reg. Nov 2010
Posted 2013-08-12 3:46 PM (#153963 - in reply to #153960)

So just for everyones informatin my 4 horse gooseneck is not a living quarter trailer so it is quite a bit lighter than a big ole living quarter trailer.  In that case a better more expensive exaust brake might be in order, but for my med sized trailer the electronically controlled wastegate exaust brake works great for my application.

Terry

hogtownboss
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2013-08-12 4:11 PM (#153965 - in reply to #153960)

Expert

Originally written by Terrye on 2013-08-12 12:48 PM
 This is due to additional devices to allow them comply with emissions regulations. Two in particular cause significant engine braking:1) Particulate filterThis device filters out soot particles before they exit the exhaust, but it creates a large obstruction in the exhaust path. This causes considerable backpressure, much more than from the turbo charger mentioned above2) EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculator)This device sucks exhaust gas back into the air intake and is usually controlled by a throttle which, depending on the design, can cause a restriction effect similar to that in petrol engines.Hope this stimulates some educational discussion rather than what I saw on the last post.Thanks for reading.Terry

I guess I missed something here....  You are saying that trucks with the particulate filter and egr equipment  is what causes significant engine braking????

My 2007.5 Dodge Ram 3500 which has the 6.7L  Cummins engine, automatic tranny along with the factory EB and now has a 106-k miles.  I bought this truck new and at 20-k miles every single part of the emissionscontrol mess was deleted from this truck!  The DPF, egr valve and the egr cooler too.  After all of the crap was deleted my braking power from the factory EB increased a bunch....

Spooler
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2013-08-12 9:33 PM (#153976 - in reply to #153960)

Extreme Veteran

Exhaust brakes on Diesels that tow in the mountains are worth there weight in gold. They even work great in the flat lands.
Terrye
Reg. Nov 2010
Posted 2013-08-14 6:17 PM (#154011 - in reply to #153965)

hogtownboss. I think the article I copied seems to imply that if you did not have an existing exaust brake that the engine braking of a non- exaust brake diesel engine would be enahanced by the back pressure induced in the system by these devices over one that does not have those devices. I have no experience or opinion on that. I believe a factory exaust brake would overide anything they could do. Note: the whole premise of what I wrote was on older, not exaust brake diesel engines as noted at the beginning of the article i copied. Hope that helps. I see you have some real world experience with those devices and an exaust brake. I would be curious to find out why removing those devices would increase your engine braking, because it seems to me the back pressure from your EB would not be increased by removing those. hogtown boss, Can you explain the technical reason why after deleting all that crap that the braking power increase a bunch? You have me curious. Thanks, Terry
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2013-08-14 10:45 PM (#154017 - in reply to #153960)

Expert

The back pressure the emission systems put on a modern engine are very small in comparison to the pressure needed to produce any braking.

There are several factors involved in how much braking you get from your diesel engine. And there really is no comparison between the engine brakes you see on class 8 semi trucks to what we can do with our pickups. Class 8 trucks are using 14L engines vs our pickups using 6.7L engines( or similar size depending on your make and year) The class 8 engines run in the 1200-2000 rpm range, Our smaller pickup truck engines are able to run up to 4000 rpm depending on your engine. So each type of truck really is dealing with different technology.

As far as exhaust braking, as mention there are various ways to create the back pressure. You can do it by closing down the vanes in an adjustable vane turbo. You can do it with butterfly valve down stream in the exhaust. It really doesn't matter how you do it, What matters is how effective the method of restricting the exhaust gases is. 

If you get too effective of a restriction you can cause problems,  Hence most systems have some type of "waste gate" that will vent off any back pressure above a certain pressure point.  This pressure point is usually determined by other components upstream of the restriction device.  And usually it is the Valve springs.  If the back pressure becomes to high, it creates more pressure than the valve springs have the strength to operate against. If the pressure is sufficient the valves won't close and we get valve float.

Traditionally the Ford Powerstroke engines have used softer valve springs than the competition. On the Ford 6.0L engines ( used from 2003 to 2007) The valve springs were rated at 40psi. Meanwhile the Duramax springs were 50 psi and the Cummins were 60 psi.  So on the Ford engines, if you develop more than 40 psi of back pressure, The waste gate would open and dump the excess pressure. So having a downstream butterfly valve is kinda of a waste since the turbo vanes can create that much pressure. The 6.0L Ford engines can create 180 ft/lbs of braking. And the competition can create more because of their stronger valve springs.

In addition to creating back pressure, your powertrain needs to be able to use it.  On the older 7.3L Ford engine with automatic trannys, having a exhaust brake is only a small improvement, Since the torque convertors usually unlock when every you are not pressing the fuel pedal. This coasting effect was designed in to help with fuel mileage. Those of you with a manual 6speed get better braking than those with automatic transmission. But manual transmission are a thing of the past. Ford no longer offers a manual.  The manufactures have found they sold so few of them as to not to practical to keep them in the parts supply. In the past manual trannys offered better mileage and were often seen as simpler and stronger. But modern automatics now offer equal or better fuel mileage. At the same time helping manufactures meet EPA guidelines.

One of the consideration of getting exhaust braking in a diesel truck is getting the torque convertor to stay locked.  All torque convertors lock and unlock at certain condition. If they did not unlock, you would stall your engine every time to came to stop sign or red light.  On the Ford 6.0L engines this was better performed by module that intercepted the signals from all the sensors and the PCM. This module would insert new commands to keep the Torque Convertor locked up when engine braking was needed. But they usually released around 25 mph.  The advantage of the newest engine/trannys is that this programing logic is already in the trucks PCM.

The current system on 6.7L Fords is totally transparent to the driver.  Push Tow/Haul and you get the exhaust braking as programed by the Ford engineers. Don't select Tow/Haul and there is no exhaust braking. The current system does not do a great job of slowing a truck from a fast speed to slower speed.  It does do a great job of holding a set speed. If I top a grade and either force the tranny to lower gear (+/- buttons) or just set the cruise control and let it choose the gear.  For example I can start down I-80 at 50 mph at the summit, 7% grade with my 13,000 lbs trailer and it will hold 3rd gear at 3000-3400 rpms and 50-55 mph speed. But if I crest the summit at 75 mph and ask for a downshift and think the exhaust brake is going to slow me to 50 mph, I'm dreaming.