LQ Insurance
mingiz
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2013-07-01 12:34 PM (#153046)
Subject: LQ Insurance

Elite Veteran

I just moved from Maryland to Missouri.Transferred my current polices to an agent here. Didn't change anything on the policies same company.So my truck(F250)ins. went down. But the coverage on the LQ which is only loss. Doubled!!!! Any Missourian's here that can answer this. Where I lived in MD was more of a risk than here..It just baffles me that living in an area that has less population and drivers that the Ins. would double..
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
jackbrat
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2013-07-01 4:05 PM (#153048 - in reply to #153046)
Subject: RE: LQ Insurance

Elite Veteran

Hi there Mingiz,

I think I remembered you were living out of your LQ for a time???

I am thinking of doing the same and was wondering what you have learned so far about what to have in a LQ and what doesn't matter much. What are the must haves? What do you wish you had and really needed on your LQ?
I definitely want shore power, 6 c. fridge, dinette instead of couch, separate toilet from shower, ducted heat and A/C. generator, microwave, closet space. Any advice on the holding and clean water tanks?

What other good advice to you have with your experiences?

Thanks!

PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2013-07-01 10:17 PM (#153056 - in reply to #153046)

Expert

Originally written by mingiz on 2013-07-01 12:34 PM

I just moved from Maryland to Missouri.Transferred my current polices to an agent here. Didn't change anything on the policies same company.So my truck(F250)ins. went down. But the coverage on the LQ which is only loss. Doubled!!!! Any Missourian's here that can answer this. Where I lived in MD was more of a risk than here..It just baffles me that living in an area that has less population and drivers that the Ins. would double..
When you say it is only covered for loss...do you mean theft?...because that may imply that LQ trailers are more likely to be stolen in MO than MD...:(
hornet
Reg. Mar 2010
Posted 2013-07-02 8:12 PM (#153091 - in reply to #153046)

Extreme Veteran

Sounds like a good question for your agent. Have them explain why the premium doubled.
miss okie
Reg. Nov 2012
Posted 2013-07-03 12:59 PM (#153118 - in reply to #153046)

Mine doubled moving from the midwest to new mexico, as did my truck ins. Nothing changed, no tickets, no accidents, no claims. Just happen to move to a state where drivers are irresponsible.
mingiz
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2013-07-04 8:07 AM (#153133 - in reply to #153056)

Elite Veteran

The loss coverage was put on it because it was financed at the time.So the coverage was if the trailer was totaled.Not sure if it includes being stolen. I will have to ask the agent himself about this I guess.
mingiz
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2013-07-04 8:30 AM (#153134 - in reply to #153048)

Elite Veteran

Howdy jackbratMy LQ had everything I needed in it.It had 3c fridge,Which was ok but since I wasn't hauling anything I had bought a small dorm fridge and later I got 5.1c upright freezer for extra stuff. That made it more easier to buy things and not run to the store every other day. Mine has a dinette which I liked better than a couch. Had separate shower/toilet. Had shore power and also had a Honda 3000 for back up power in storms.At first I used the furnace but propane was to expensive to run as heat. I ended up getting a ceramic heater and it worked well. No major problems in the winter. I did have a water pipe freeze but took the heater and faced the wall and it thawed out in no time. In the winter I took privacy fence panels and put them up around the nose.Then for the sides of the trailer I took 2 in foam installation and put it around the bottom of the trailer to block the wind.For the tanks I filled my on board water tank.As far as the grey tank I left it open and it ran out on the ground. As for the black tank.I did put a heat tape on it.Yes your crap will freeze up. I had a porta potty place come dump the tank every 2 weeks.But that depends on how much use it and how big the tanks are. I also put plastic up in the windows in winter.I stuffed installation up under the goose neck to help keep the sleeper warmer..Had a microwave and I had satellite for my tv. I spent 3 yrs in it and it did well..Even rode out hurricane Sandy in it.I didn't have a lot of closet space.So I bought those stack able type totes with drawers for my clothes.Stacked them in the front stall. I also opened up the gates to allow me to use the back end for the extra fridge and the freezer...If you decide to live in yours make sure that you park the tires on boards. I also used an electric skillet over using the gas stove.. Good Luck..Hope this helps..
ClaudiaIN
Reg. Feb 2009
Posted 2013-07-04 8:37 AM (#153136 - in reply to #153134)

Veteran

Each state is different as far as insurance laws, rates, etc--   the agent you have now would probably not know the exact reason why the premiums are different.

If you have comprehensive  that includes, fire, theft, vandalism -- collision coverage is for an actual collision.

You can maybe up your deductible to save a little money-- call your agent and discuss ways to save on your premium.

If the trailer is financed the bank will require full coverage to protect their interest.