Trailer buying tips help
FFFran
Reg. Mar 2013
Posted 2013-05-12 7:36 AM (#151914)
Subject: Trailer buying tips help

I am looking for a new/used trailer and have been on so many sites. I am now confused. What are the quality indicators that you would consider for a steel or aluminum trailer. specifically:gaugeaxlessuspensiontemperature regulation - I live in the humid deep southseveral sites mention how close supports are in the roof - so minimum for thatbrakes
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2013-05-12 9:42 AM (#151919 - in reply to #151914)
Subject: RE: Trailer buying tips help

Expert

I would stick to buying an aluminum trailer just for the fact of lower maintenance than a steel trailer, lighter weight, resale value, visually appealing, longevity, etc...

OK, I give up... What's gaugeaxlessuspensiontemperature regulation...??

Don't quite understand what this is about either.. I live in the humid deep southseveral sites mention how close supports are in the roof - so minimum for thatbrakes

You got to break it down for me...!!

FFFran
Reg. Mar 2013
Posted 2013-05-12 9:23 PM (#151941 - in reply to #151919)

Seems that the post got jumbled. I had those items listed on separate lines: gauge; axles; suspension; temperature regulation - I live in the deep south and it is important to me that the trailer be cool enough.Is that better?
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2013-05-12 10:13 PM (#151942 - in reply to #151914)

Expert

Gauge of the metal will vary by the type of metal and what it is combined with.

Axles will vary on the size of the trailer.  A two horse bumper pull will have a totally different axle assembly than a 14" LQ 4H Gooseneck.  Just make sure you have enough axle capacity for the weight of your loaded trailer

Suspension will almost always be a Torsion Bar type of suspension. Unless you get a really old trailer.

Temperature Regulation is how many windows you can open.   A stock trailer with open sides will give you the most ventilation and probably help with summer heat in the south.  For my part of the world, I also need to be able to close up the trailer to stop wind in the winter when it's cold.  For me Large Drop down windows on both side ( curb and street) allow me to control how much ventilation the horses get and control the temp inside the trailer.

Roof supports will only matter if you plan on putting stuff up on the roof.  Generators, hay, water tanks, storage pods etc will all require different support members depending on how much weight you want to put up there.  Just about any roof structure should support the occasional snow load or wind. So if you are not putting anything on the roof to store. No problem

Brakes,  Most modern horse trailers have electric brakes.  The larger LQ gooseneck some times come with Electric over Hydraulic brakes. But they are not very common and rarely seen in smaller trailers.

You really need to give us more info about what you are considering in order to get better answers.

hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2013-05-13 8:34 AM (#151949 - in reply to #151914)

Expert

The common roof support issue is if you wish a roof mount air conditioner.  Then, the roof must be braced to support the weight of the unit and the 14x14 hole required.  Most trailer / RV shops can weld the bracing required.

If the A/C unit is already there, no issue ...