Flooring & ceiling vent in dressing area- questions
whisper237
Reg. Jan 2010
Posted 2013-04-15 11:24 AM (#151322)
Subject: Flooring & ceiling vent in dressing area- questions

Over the weekend I pulled up the carpet in a spot on the floor in the dressing room because it was wet, I know why it was wet in that spot and will be fixing that issue. BUT, to my surprise I found that the previous owner nailed down plywood over the top of the floor boards in the trailer. Now they didn't put in green treated lumber or anything as such and now the plywood is rotting in the spot that got wet. What do you recommend I put down to seal the floor boards or in place of the non treated plywood? I had wanted to put down either carpet tiles or linoleum type of flooring and I want to be able to know that the floor under it is ok.

Also, it appears that the ceiling air vent may leak somewhere, I need to take the carpeting off the ceiling and the wood that is rotting too to find it. But what should I use to seal around it to prevent this from happening. I don't see it leaking when I'm in there and its raining so it may be a slow leak but I would like to fix it.

Thanks for the help.

I will post pics tonight hopefully.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Saddleup
Reg. Apr 2012
Posted 2013-04-15 12:15 PM (#151323 - in reply to #151322)
Subject: RE: Flooring & ceiling vent in dressing area- questions

Regular

I would remove all of the flooring, the plywood someone prev. put down. I would replace it with pressure treated plywood.. the green stuff. Definitely ck out the roof vent for the leak. When found go to local hardware store and purchase a good grade of silicone sealing compound.. it will contract and expand with temp. changes. I really haven't seen a good application for carpet on any rv floor. The outdoor dirt and carpets just don't mix... lino is the way to go.
whisper237
Reg. Jan 2010
Posted 2013-04-15 10:16 PM (#151330 - in reply to #151322)

Thanks I figured I would need to pull up the wood on the floor, and replace with the green treated. Couldn't believe they didn't do it in the first place. I will look for that silicone. I'm pretty sure its by the vent, just have to get the carpet off the ceiling and then the wood underneath.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2013-04-15 10:49 PM (#151331 - in reply to #151322)

Expert

You will get a long lasting exterior seal if you use a marine grade polyurethane caulking/adhesive. In lieu of that, an Elastomeric sealant is easy to apply and many brands have a ten year warranty. Most house hold caulkings don't have long life spans, when used on metal roofs and are continually exposed to UV rays.
whisper237
Reg. Jan 2010
Posted 2013-04-16 11:14 AM (#151346 - in reply to #151322)

Thanks for the tip. Should I coat the floor boards under the treated lumber with something as well to help protect against moisture, or will I be just fine?
Thanks
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2013-04-16 10:23 PM (#151359 - in reply to #151322)

Expert

You can install a non wood flooring product that is impervious to water, such as "Pergo" or like products. It looks like wood, but lasts much longer with only a damp mop for maintenance. If desired, an area rug could be installed over it.

The original wood flooring could be first painted with a good quality oil base paint, partially thinned to further penetrate the wood's fibers. Once the wood has had an initial chance to dry out, multiple coats could be added until the wood no longer absorbs the paint material. This would help protect the wood from most subsequent water absorption.

whisper237
Reg. Jan 2010
Posted 2013-04-27 8:19 AM (#151578 - in reply to #151322)

Thanks for the comments. Would a paint or water sealer work for the floor boards in the trailer along with up the sides from the floor about 6" above the floor?
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2013-04-27 8:57 AM (#151580 - in reply to #151578)

Expert

Dupilicolor has a product called "Bed Armor", that is a bed liner product being advertised for usage on wood and metal. I've used it several times on aluminum and it works well. It's the only cold applied, single part bed liner product that I know of, that is advertised for coating wood.

Most paints will not be durable enough for stall flooring. Rust Oleum has a new water based product called "Restore", that is supposed to be much more durable than paint, moisture seals the wood and can be applied with a brush or roller. In a few weeks I'm going to try it on our deck.

There are several oil based marine wood sealers available, that are temporary in usage. They have to be reapplied after various lengths of time periods. In a trailer, their life spans would vary from that of a typical marine use. They would not be exposed to the constant UV damage and salt water penetration, but the acidic action of urine may affect their longevity. I personally don't know of anyone who has used them for this application, but I would think they would be superior to paint in penetration and durability. I've used several of the brands over the years, and other than the necessity of re applications, never had a customer complain about their ability to protect the woodwork.

Shadowtree
Reg. Aug 2013
Posted 2013-08-18 1:18 PM (#154093 - in reply to #151331)

New User

Hello Gard,We have a 2004 Roper IV with 10' LQ and have noticed that the flooring has become very weak in the kitchen area. Our vinyl floor does extend the width of the trailer including under all cabinets and dinette. All though we have not pulled the vinyl up yet, we do not notice any water leak issues. We under stand the floor probably needs replacement. I did a search on line and the Horse Trailer World forums came up. We read the post dated: 2009-04-15, Post# 103447 and the following remarks, which mentioned how you had instructed replacing the floor. We were not able to locate that instruction and would very much appreciate your direction on how to proceed. Our number. Our email address is available if you need to talk directly. Sincerely,Bobbie & Ralph